• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Many say Battlefield. I don't remember why specifically, but I thibk it has something to do with the platforms and being neutral.

Also, didn't someone have an Ike stage discussion where he reviewed a stage and how well Ike does and what to avoid?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Battlefield is small, meaning it's hard to camp Ike because he'll always be dash attack distance away. The platforms are ideal length for Ike to punish while not being too easy to be punished on when Ike is on them. the high platform is great for aether mindgames. Lastly, Ike can aether massively closer to the stage due to how long the slant is making is much safer to recover.

That's it in a nutshell.

earla

Smash Lord
how frequently should a player be looking at %'s?

and in doubles?

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
It's not exactly something that takes a lot of attention, just glance when someone goes flying, you should know your next step anyway.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
To elaborate on Ryko's answer, you should be aware of an enemy's moves depending on your percentage. For example, a Snake main will be looking to up-tilt you when you get to 120ish, but will not consider that option when you are below it, resorting to f-tilts, grenades, etc. At the same time, enemies will become more defensive because they are aware of Ike's kill moves, so force them into spot dodging by grabbing them, and punish.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
When someone dies by a % doesn't mean much when DI is player dependent. So just keep doing.. stuff by your instincts

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ussi, how does that make sense to rely on your instincts? You should be aware of your own damage and your opponent's damage. Otherwise, you are looking at getting screwed over.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
You can always just take a little glance at what color your percentage is without actually seeing the number. lol

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I don't know if I have gone through this before or if someone else has touched on this, but... It's about 40% extra knockback if hit while charging a smash attack.

When I hit opponents while they are charging a smash attack, they fly 40% farther than what they normally would. I may be exaggerating the next part, but I can kill light-weight characters like mk or olimar off the top with an uncharged eruption at like 90%. Let's say about 95% to be safe. Take advantage of people while they are charging their smash attacks.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
In Ike dittos, if I mess up and decide to charge an upsmash for whatever reason and they aether me, I keep it charged so I can SDI out easier, lol.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Mr. Doom, you should test it and tell what %s you can kill without DI while they are charging a smash and while they aren't charging a smash... I think the %s for killing without DI is already done by Kirk.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think it matters what smash they are charging... .. well its only speculation as down smash would make a person DI down cause they are holding down

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I think it matters what smash they are charging... .. well its only speculation as down smash would make a person DI down cause they are holding down
Well would that be it then? Maybe the only difference is the fact that they instantly DI in a bad direction (like up if they are hit up) because they're charging the smash in that direction? Probably not, but if that's all it is, then it makes more sense than randomly getting extra knockback while someone is charging a smash.

Also I've been at an overnight smashfest, which is why I haven't been posting too much. I brought my laptop and checked up once in awhile but I was usually either too busy or too tired from almost 24 hours of straight Brawl to post much.

:034:

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
You don't have to charge a smash attack while holding the control stick in the specific direction. For me, since I use smash-stick, all I have to do is flick the c-stick in the direction I want to smash (f-smash, u-smash, d-smash), reset it to neutral position, and hold the z or a button. (My z button is set to attack just for lulz.) As long as you have the attack button held down, there's no need to hold your control stick in that direction.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
That makes sense actually, and I even should have known that cause I always subconsciously reset my control stick to a neutral position in preparation for SDI/DI whenever I'm charging a smash, and just hold the A button. Eh, it was just speculation anyways. I wonder how early you could KO someone with flashing Eruption while they're charging a smash?

*Goes to test*

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Yea, I still won that one. lol
And you can either hate Yoshi's Island or Lylat Cruise. You have to hate one of them atleast. Ryko made a blog on this awhile ago.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Speaking of suicides, how often do you guys consciously trade stocks when you're ahead or to make it even? Ike's not as good as it as MK, DDD, or Kirby, but he can still go out an BAir someone, Aethercide, or DAir them for the [riskier] kill.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Speaking of suicides, how often do you guys consciously trade stocks when you're ahead or to make it even? Ike's not as good as it as MK, DDD, or Kirby, but he can still go out an BAir someone, Aethercide, or DAir them for the [riskier] kill.
Well, I do that kind of thing a lot in friendlies; but if I'm ahead in a tournament match I prefer to just rack as much damage as I can in a place where Ike actually stands a chance against many opponents... on the stage, lol.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
If you are a stock ahead and it's guaranteed, there's no reason not to do it. I used to preserve myself on reverse aethers and people would make it back because I didnt pull them far away enough from the stage or avoided the second to last hit by pulling back but pierce pretty much explained it plain and simple and since then if the opportunity presents itself, I take it. Moreover if it's against snake and he's blowing himself up to get his cypher back, you should be out there either to footstool him or to dair him before he blows himself up. He has no option BUT to commit to that c4 drop and 30 frames of detonation, he should die.

earla

Smash Lord
how safe is ikes FAIR using it off stage edge guarding.

which characters are dangerous to FAIR off stage?

earla

Smash Lord
whats a good way to gauge how many safe pummels you can get ?

metroid1117

Smash Master
how safe is ikes FAIR using it off stage edge guarding.

which characters are dangerous to FAIR off stage?
Ike's FAir is a good edgeguard at high %s and if your opponent doesn't know how to DI (or doesn't expect it), but it should be used sparingly. If you're double jumping out and FAir'ing, then you should probably be doing BAirs instead because of the greater knockback and speed; it's also easier to bait airdodges that way because since people cannot react to it unlike FAir, they will airdodge earlier out of anticipation. Walk-off FAirs are very dangerous at low %s because your opponent can sometimes just grab the edge before you and let you fall to your doom (like Marth or another Ike) even if you hit them. It is possible to get back to the stage without the edge after a walk-off FAir, but it's hard to do consistently, especially if you're focused on hitting a target.

whats a good way to gauge how many safe pummels you can get ?
Some people can pummel much faster than others, so to be safe I usually do one pummel for every 30% (and I don't start until they are at least 30%). However, if it's quiet enough to hear their controller, I will pummel according to how much they're button mashing.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Tough question. Don't they relatively do near the same amount of damage resulting in cancellation? In any case, I wouldn't recommend an f-tilt against MK's glide attacks. It comes out too fast, and if you miss, you are f'ed.

BBQTV

Smash Master
yesterday i was playing ike and i just found out i like ike

what characters does he do bad against? i handled a snake pretty well and i think falco gives ike a hard time

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Only use ftilt if you are confident with the timing. If the MK has been gliding for a while, chances are he's not even thinking of attacking you, in contrast to him starting glide attack practically right in front of you. Like most of Ike's moves, there is also the possibility of two attacks clanking.

There's little risk in using ftilt against glide attack when the MK is offstage or near the edge.

Bair has transcended priority I think, and it seems to outrange MK's glide attack fairly well, so I use bair.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Up tilt clanks with MK's glide attack. Counter beats it, of course. Don't try with Ftilt, though. It only hits for 3 frames (and only ONE of those three has any range), and your hurtbox extends pretty far, and that's before your hitbox comes out.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
So I take it that ftilt has longer range...

Ftilt is risky, but MK can't do anything except glide attack after his upB & ike's ftilt has KO potential near the ledge; so this along with a good read might be worth the risk i think?!

Top Bottom