• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*IMPORTANT READ* Bucket Braking. Read it nubs.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Just when i was beginning to think that G&W was not that hard to fight...
He IS hard to fight. He has a 6/4 advantage on Ganon.

He's just not THAT bad of a matchup LOL.

Hey infzy, that reminds me, unless I'm mistaken, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon seem to get similar results from doing U-air -> Down-B against knockback. I've seen Japanese players do this too. How exactly does that work in comparison to the other ones you tested?

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so this confirms that I will be picking up G&W as my third character.
I know that DK can do the same thing with his up+b, but G&W's bucket is infinitely more useful, because it doesn't take so long and doesn't leave him wide open.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
What, this AT alone makes you like him? O_o
Haha, no. I already used him a bit, and was on the fence on who to really try to learn enough for me to use them in tournaments. It was pretty much a tossup between Diddy, Snake, and G&W.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Oh, thanks for all the comments about the vid :)

Hey infzy, that reminds me, unless I'm mistaken, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon seem to get similar results from doing U-air -> Down-B against knockback. I've seen Japanese players do this too. How exactly does that work in comparison to the other ones you tested?
Sadly, using down-B in knockback gives you the huge boost away, during its startup-lag (the "Falcon" in "Falcon Kick" lol). Vertically this means you shoot up much higher than you would go with just a fastfalled Uair. Horizontally, I'm pretty sure it's just as useless. I tried with both Falcon and Ganondorf.

jog

Smash Journeyman
wow, those videos were too good.
G&W's bucket canceling is unreal.
major props infzy

K@0S

Smash Ace
*I never introduced me here, very long time reader (I come here everyday tbh) and first time poster. I'm a g&w mainer, I attend every tourney around Paris and allways place well, so even if I still have to train, I think I'm not too bad and can contribute to these boards.*

Very nice find, it's amazingly useful. great vid

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
question, if this was used frame perfectly every time you got hit, would it essentially make you the heaviest character in the game or whats the dealie?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Welcome to the boards, K@OS.

omega: I haven't really tested it, but I think it really depends how/where you get hit. If your trajectory is a long one to the killzone, then yes I'd say G&W is the "heaviest" in the sense of surviving the hit. However, there should be shorter distance hits at which G&W is unable to finish his item-throw or Nair in time to use the bucket; but where Bowser's natural heaviness would be enough on its own (with a fastfalled Fair) to avoid the killzone. Does that make sense? I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find such a scenario.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Amazing.
When I get the time, I will edit this into the Oil Panic guide. Major props to A2ZOMG + Infzy.
Great video, I<3u forever.

edit: Also, you should bring this to the Yoshi boards. I see you already mentioned it in DK's section, but it's worth a thread down their alley as well. With Yoshi's already decent weight and high aerial mobility, I can see this being useful to them as well. Especially vertical kills, if you ignore the free fall after effect x)

but yeah, you should drop down and give them a present, Infzy.

infomon

Smash Scientist
lol... I posted in one of their AT threads or smthg.. I'm all "o hai, yoshi can survive longer than bowser, here's details", and I only got a couple responses that weren't that impressed. oh well!
I think it's cool.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Out last boozer against a MK d-smash...

Sigh, I have learned to FF u-airs from MK habits, time to relearn for GaW.

K 2

Smash Lord
omg! I didn't realize how broken this is until I saw the video. (Great video btw)

Amazing find! Great job A2Z and infzy.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
It's not that broken. How often do you find yourself dying after double jumping after using a fast falled aerial? Those are exactly those cases that bucket cancelling will allow you to survive, horizontally speaking, and it's not that frequent. It's obviously really good though.

Plus this gives me another reason to fill up Game & Watch's bucket. :)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
It's not that broken. How often do you find yourself dying after double jumping after using a fast falled aerial? Those are exactly those cases that bucket cancelling will allow you to survive, and it's not that frequent. It's obviously really good though.

Plus this gives me another reason to fill up Game & Watch's bucket. :)
Good habit nonetheless, and I would gladly trade my abilities to bucket cancel for a full bucket.

Also, Sakurai didn't "forget" to put the slowing down in, it was his way of saying sorry for "forgetting" to give Melee GaW L-canceling in its fullest.

K 2

Smash Lord
A full bucket from Ness = one less stock for Ness, so dieing with a full bucket means 1 less stock for both players.

I die a lot on the side and a lot more off the top. Bucket Cancelling allows you to save your double jump, which gives you move options when confronted with an edgeguarder.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
The second comment was a joke, as evidenced by the smiley face.

This is obviously really good; the annoying thing is going to be all the misinformed posts we'll see over the next few months.

That being said, infzy has the pedantism under control in this thread. :)

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
We need a different name for this; Bucket Canceling is a theoretical technique that allows you to cancel lag time on the bucket.

Bucket Brake sounds good :>

K 2

Smash Lord
Bucket Brake sounds good. It alliterates nicely and it makes sense (Bucket is used to brake your momentum).

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
The second comment was a joke, as evidenced by the smiley face.

This is obviously really good; the annoying thing is going to be all the misinformed posts we'll see over the next few months.

That being said, infzy has the pedantism under control in this thread. :)
I thought it was a "I know something" smile. Soz =[

i call this the bucket brake
Nice.

Bucket Brake is a cool name
that doesn't afraid of anything.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Is this an AT, or DI?
AT if anything.

I think you're using an abuse of the word "DI". Ppl are starting to use it to mean any kind of recovery tech-skill, lol, but I think that's a bad idea.

As far as I'm concerned, DI is just smash-DI (moving around in hitlag), and "regular DI" (holding a direction on the control stick the moment you get launched away helps determine the angle of your trajectory). Sadly, too many ppl think that holding a direction after you've started flying away helps at all, but it doesn't; not until you're out of hitstun.

Moving yourself around in the air (aerial mobility, or aerial influence, if you need to give it a name), escaping hitstun with an aerial or airdodge, using the bucket to nullify your knockback momentum..... these are interesting aspects of recovery, but they're not DI.

Edit: Should I modify the video description to call it "Bucket Braking"?? I fear that "Bucket-cancelling" will have already caught on. I'm still waiting on the Yoshis for a fancy Yoshi name, but their proposal of "Egg Drop" sounds pretty good :laugh:

Anyway, the OP should be updated if there's a name-change movement.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Yes, that was very overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, esp. in teaching.

*Closes dictionary.com tab*

Well, I would consider it more physics abuse, but that might as well be an AT.

GaW's first AT. I am so proud! Lets have another, A2ZOMG.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Yeah, change it to Brake. It's still quite new and not all that many people have seen it yet.
A2 should change the title as well, if he likes the sound of it.

Top Bottom