• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Into The New World :: Generation V Competitive Metagame Discussion

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I didnt do any dmg clacs so idk how hard ice beam hits compared to focus blast, but i know focus 2hko's ferro, shadow claw i will admit is not the best option but we were just trying stuff out, also on a hail team blizzard feel would be a solid 4th option. Also while i would normally agree that have to put a special attack on a pys attacker is bad i will disagree with him b/c his spc attack stat is 120 which is really good and shouldn't be ignored.

So pretty much we both agree he is really good, the diff is i am scared about what his 170 attack stat will do to the ou metagame while you believe he will fit in fine b/c of his speed and movepool.

:phone:

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Bulkier Latias usually rely solely on Dragon Pulse as their attacking move, meaning Loom can 3hko with Low Sweep+Bullet Seed while Dragon Pulse is only a 2hko.
You're right, I should have mentioned Latios. Latias doesn't often carry movies besides Dragon Pulse, but Latios does. If one of those moves is Psychic, Breloom is done. Psyshock would likely work well too if Breloom is running Life Orb.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I can see him running a pretty nasty Choice Scarf set.

It's too bad he isn't given Icicle Crash.
Ice Beam should do a good job of Taking care of
Landurous and Gliscor.

He just has so many common weaknesses though...

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So i made a pretty bad team yesterday, just to test thundrous t and somehow i had a pretty good record with the team and thun t is really good. I was running a sub, nasty plot set and it worked really well, my biggest problem was deciding my 2nd attack after thunderbolt

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm wow okay

so i'm still starting out b2w2...

for me the biggest surprise is techniloom. my team definitely cannot fight it. whoever mentioned it earlier did a good job at finding my team's weakness lol

cuz techniloom on a stall team that is really good at putting up stealth rock has an easy time killing volcarona, cuz they can just switch out.

i'm gonna start using it lol

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
i think i'm gonna build a b2w2 ou team

i did LC and got to like 15th on the ladder, but it was a really bad team (some mixed team with ferroseed+frillish+gulpin, then drilbur+ponyta+taillow)

we'll see what i can come up with for OU hehehe

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
if u ever happen to run into me on PO i'm under the alt "new party time"

i got a couple tricksies, but it's a pretty standard team...i think? idk lol

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Garchomp is unbanned because it was never really that amazing.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Garchomp's power in OU is dependent not on Garchomp, but everything else in OU. And the OU metagame changes slowly but surely.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So has anyone tried empoleon since the petaya berry came out? I would but no power at my house.

Also how is tech breloom? And what type of move set o people recommend for him? Like spore, swords dance, bullet seed, mach punch. Or spore/swords dance and 3 attacks?

Enzo

Smash Lord
So has anyone tried empoleon since the petaya berry came out? I would but no power at my house.

Also how is tech breloom? And what type of move set o people recommend for him? Like spore, swords dance, bullet seed, mach punch. Or spore/swords dance and 3 attacks?

Pretty much all technilooms run SD/Spore/Bullet Seed/Mach Punch

It's by far the most powerful set breloom can run.
3 Attacks is really just niche to help get by flying type pokemon, but otherwise having SD + Spore is miles better.

Personally I like the Fight Gem set, it has a decent chance of ohkoing tornadus after rocks at +2.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
SubPetaya Empoleon doesn't work anymore.

Spore/Low Sweep/Bullet Seed/Mach Punch is the best set. SD is a waste of a moveslot- loom can't sweep.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i use:

Breloom @ Choice Band
Adamant / Technician
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe
Low Sweep
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed
Stone Edge

It's pretty awesome

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Spore is the only reason loom is OU.

You're using loom wrong, m4f. So, so wrong.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Successful, maybe. Relative to Spore + 3 Attacks LO or Lefties loom? Not at all.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i am at my sister's who has power but i cant play po here so i cant test stuff out.

First i would like to say its kinda sad to hear that SubPetaya Empoleon doesnt work anymore. does it not work b/c base 60 speed isnt enough after a agility anymore, or is it not strong enough? b/c i figured in rain with hydro pump and the berry it would still be pretty strong.

also listening to this brellom talk is intresting, seeing all the different sets people run. Before loom got tech as an ability i would of agreed that the only reason he is ou is b/c of spore. now i feel an argument might be able to be made that his power with that ability could make him ou. that being said spore is still amazing and i would find it difficult to make a set without that move on him. also i know rock tomb is weaker then stone edge and has the same accuracy, but maybe it could be used instead b/c it lowers speed and then loom could just use mach punch as his one fighting move. (thoughts on this)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Spore-less Breloom could work because everyone always expects Spore, so instead of putting that 20% HP Politoed to sleep, you just ****ing kill it.

But still, Spore is the best move in the game, so you should use it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Yeah, maybe I should run physical Alakazam because they expect me to Psychic to bring down their 20% Poli.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You can't counter being stuck in sleep for 3 turns.

Amoonguss usually beats it pretty well, though.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Okay, you got me there. Forgot about Xatu.

Not even going to joke about suggesting Stone Miss

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Man they really need to make a poke thats ability is he ends all weather on the field permanently (until another weather poke comes in). Besides the obvious reasons that a poke like that makes sense to balance out he power of weather, it would also allow anti weather teams to truly be anti weather.

I hope they make on next gen (hope its a sudo legendary as well)

Also no one responded to my thoughts/statements/guesses as to why empoleon with the berry no longer works

Sorry this post rambles and stuff but i am awake and its almost 5 were i am

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
they did make a pokemon like that: rayquaza counters weather

and subpetaya empoleon sux now because its speed is now too slow even after an agility

Top Bottom