• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is chain grabbing cheap?

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
I've played people who threatened to quit if I continued to chain grab. Right, like that's any worse than you spamming F-smash all day.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Of course it is. The fact that Bowser will NEVER win a major tournament just because a fat-*** penguin can sit on him to death is rediculous.

Still, it shouldn't be banned. There is one fool-proof way to avoid getting chain grabbed:

Don't get grabbed.

Oblivinati

Smash Rookie
In my opinion the wrong discussion is being had, cheap or otherwise it's allowed, so instead of complaing or arguing "cheapness" why not discuss strategies to avoid being grabbed? Untill then, I'll continue to be "cheap"

Tujex

Smash Ace
Infinites ae cheap, since they allow certain characters like DDD to win matches based solely on landing a single grab. CHaingrabs aren't. A simple 0-random% chaingrab is basically just like any other combo that can be avoided and eventually escaped. INfintes aren't escapable and can be done from 0-death in most cases....which in turn is fairly cheap. That's just my opinion

Geist

Smash Master
"Cheap" is another word for "effective".
Of course, as long as it is actually effective, and it's not just because the other person is too stupid to realize his opponent doing the SAME MOVE over and over again and can't figure out a way around it.
rambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramble.

Infinites ae cheap, since they allow certain characters like DDD to win matches based solely on landing a single grab. INfintes aren't escapable and can be done from 0-death in most cases....which in turn is fairly cheap. That's just my opinion
DDD infinites against walls are hilarious. Therefore they got rid of stages with walls. =[

Oblivinati

Smash Rookie
"Cheap" is another word for "effective".
As long as it is actually effective, and it's not just because the other person is too stupid to realize his opponent doing the SAME MOVE over and over again and can't figure out a way around it.
rambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramble
The only stupidity involved was getting yourself grabbed in the first place, the fact that it's the same move over and over doesn't make it any less difficult to escape.

Mostly playing devil's advocate here.

Geist

Smash Master
The only stupidity involved was getting yourself grabbed in the first place, the fact that it's the same move over and over doesn't make it any less difficult to escape.

Mostly playing devil's advocate here.
I was referring to people not being able to catch the complex and extremely cheap pattern of Fsmash>>Fsmash>>Fsmash>>Fsmash>>Fsmash>>Fsmash
to some people that is "cheap" -___-

When referring to the cheapness of chaingrabbing, it is synonymous with effective.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
You have to **** up about 20 times to be killed by Fsmash spam. To get killed by an infinite you have to **** up once. There is a difference.

And not getting grabbed is very difficult. If you are DK and your opponent is Dedede you have to play absolutely perfectly and he has to be a mediocre player. Its kind of cheap. The risk/reward is completely out of whack.

Hive

Smash Lord
You have to **** up about 20 times to be killed by Fsmash spam. To get killed by an infinite you have to **** up once. There is a difference.

And not getting grabbed is very difficult. If you are DK and your opponent is Dedede you have to play absolutely perfectly and he has to be a mediocre player. Its kind of cheap. The risk/reward is completely out of whack.
lol so true ^^
I hate when ppl say "just don't get grabbed" its never that simple :p mine as well say "don't die"

bobson

Smash Lord
lol so true ^^
I hate when ppl say "just don't get grabbed" its never that simple :p mine as well say "don't die"
Metaknight's IDC stalling isn't cheap; after all, all you have to do to beat it is just never be 1% over him.

Geist

Smash Master
Well, honestly,"don't get grabbed" makes perfect sense.
It's the same philosophy as "don't get hit". Do this, and you will win.

If the guy grabs alot, figure out a way to punish him. Move alot, keep your spacing carefully, and maintain a large amount of time in the air.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Well, honestly,"don't get grabbed" makes perfect sense.
It's the same philosophy as "don't get hit". Do this, and you will win.

If the guy grabs alot, figure out a way to punish him. Move alot, keep your spacing carefully, and maintain a large amount of time in the air.
The thing is I have never ever seen a match where somebody does not get hit. And I haven't seen a match where somebody doesn't get hit more than three times. Not getting grabbed in certain matchups requires complete perfect spacing. It requires you to have an unreasonably large skill advantage over your opponent. It isn't feasible.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
I would not do it to someone I was just playing for fun with (if they were significantly less skilled), but in a competitive match I don't hesitate. It's a valid technique just like grabbing out of shield.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
I would not do it to someone I was just playing for fun with (if they were significantly less skilled), but in a competitive match I don't hesitate. It's a valid technique just like grabbing out of shield.
I agree that it is a valid technique (at the moment). But that doesn't mean its not cheap.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
If they programmed throws with awful knockback and the ability to grab people out of the air, I can only imagine that it was intended. Since they fixed wavedashing, and L-Cancelling, they were probably carefully observing Melee. If chain throwing wasn't removed, then they probably intended for it to exist. If this is the case, then it's far from cheap, but rather, a tactic.
Then wouldn't all characters be able to do it? That would be like them saying "well, this fast-powerful-highpriority-longrange-low lag-unbeatable move CAN be used to win BUT only half of the roster will be able to use this." Get where I'm going?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
^^^

do you want MK to have a chain grab???

Anyways chain grabs are not cheap...to a certain point...and that point is why the Bridge of Eldin, Moses island,Flatzone,Green hill zone, Corneria and any other stage with a walkoff or fixed wall is banned...

bobson

Smash Lord
Anyways chain grabs are not cheap...to a certain point...and that point is why the Bridge of Eldin, Moses island,Flatzone,Green hill zone, Corneria and any other stage with a walkoff or fixed wall is banned...
Corneria and Green Hill Zone are counterpicks, and chaingrabbing out of the stage is the least of Flatzone 2's problems.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
Chain Grabs are almost always escapable at some point (except for IC's, D3's, etc.) so no, I don't think they're cheap.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
While I don't think chain-grabs are truly broken, they're definitley unbalanced, and I would not miss them at all if they were removed.

Now, if somethig was done to actually make these escapable (i.e. teching, grab breaks), then I'd be okay with them

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I mean outside of taking 50% damage. at that point you may as well SD, Brawl's so broken there's hardly any chance of combacks.

So maybe chain-grabbing isn't the problem after all, maybe it's just Brawl. :laugh:

§leepy God

Smash Master
It's another thread like this? About the Chain Grab, I think it's a combo and not a move, so I don't think it's broken, just unfair.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Most of them are escapable at one point.
No chain grabs are not escapable. If they were escapable then they wouldn't be chain grabs. Dedede/Falco/Iceclimbers have inescapable chaingrabs. If you get grabbed the only way you get out is if your opponent ***** it up.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
No chain grabs are not escapable. If they were escapable then they wouldn't be chain grabs. Dedede/Falco/Iceclimbers have inescapable chaingrabs. If you get grabbed the only way you get out is if your opponent ***** it up.
Falco's chaingrab is escapable once your opponent reaches a certain amount of damage.

Denzi

Smash Master
Dedede reaches the end of the stage rather quickly, and Falco's only works to certain percents. So while they are inescapable, they're not always that bad.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
^ exactly...the only infinite cg is ICs, and that one is the hardest to learn. anyways i (being a falco player myself LOL) dont really think theyre cheap, especially in tournies where you gotta do everything to try to win. in friendlies, i do tone down my cgs by a lot, but it is a legit tactic, why else would it be in the game?

chic

Smash Ace
Most of them are escapable at one point.

yea, after you have 160 damage

but i believe they are cheap. theres been so many times when i'm owning a ddd, amkeeping my damage low, am close to winning, and have been doing a excellent job avoiding the cgs, but eventually get grabbed. next thing you know ive been cged to 120+ dmg. all my work down the drain. if u dont think thats cheap then i dont know what is

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
yea, after you have 160 damage

but i believe they are cheap. theres been so many times when i'm owning a ddd, amkeeping my damage low, am close to winning, and have been doing a excellent job avoiding the cgs, but eventually get grabbed. next thing you know ive been cged to 120+ dmg. all my work down the drain. if u dont think thats cheap then i dont know what is
er...i dont really recall any cg that takes you 0-120 other than the ICs. (unless its next to a wall of course)

corhor

Smash Cadet
Sidestep lol.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm pretty sure you can mash your way out of DeDeDe's Infinite unless you're 120+ since he has to hit twice before doing a D-throw.

Top Bottom