• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Olimar a dissapointment? why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I'm not disappointed. Sure, I would've preferred to have a Ridley or Mega Man update, but I don't dislike Captain Olimar. I'm just glad that we've finally gotten another character confirmed, and a new one at that! Now if we get another character this week, then things will really be looking up! But we probably won't.

And it's now something else to look forward to that isn't another character confirmation. Namely, Olimar's moves! Can't say what my opinion of him really is until I see those, cuz I haven't played his games so I'm not excited about him because of that. And since, well, it's not another character confirmation, it's something I can hope for that I'm basically guaranteed to get soon.

Olimar rather than Ridley? No reason to think that this has any bearing on Ridley.

Hopefully Ridley will be next. Ridley would make me happy with the roster (assuming nothing idiotic happens, like cutting Capt Falcon). Ridley and Mega Man would make me joyful about it.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i think hes rly unique, as for what we kno so far. tomorrow should be his special moves update. they almost always do that with new characters

LotusMyuushin

Smash Apprentice
I dislike him, but I guess I don't have to play as him much. Much rather wanted him as a AT

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
the only thing that could be possibly dissapointing is that the pikmin's graphics are not really up to par. but they'll be small enough it wont really matter anyways. olimar rules

Igneous42

Smash Ace
NOW THIS, THIS IS FALSE.... lol. Sakurai himself asked people if he wants people to play as Krystal, i dont have a source, i heard it on SMYN. forgot which epoisode
Popularity doesn't = importance. As much as I want Ridley and Krystal myself, Olimar deserved the spot before them. He is the main character in a major Nintendo franchise, I can pretty much guarantee that there will be a Pikmin 3. Krystal and Ridley are both important to their franchises but neither are the main character.

Jester_Katz

Smash Cadet
I'm somewhat a Pikmin fan, but even then, I'm surprised, but not disappointed, about Pikmin & Olimar joining the brawl. I have to say, I'm quite curious about the move-sets, any guesses?

slisenberg

Smash Cadet
If there is anyone at smashboards who is illogical enough to realize how absolutely unique, difficult, strategic, and fun playing as olimar will be, they shouldn't be taken seriously. Have you seen anyone else who fights single handedly with things pulled from the ground?

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
i dont mind him being in (he may be interesting to use)just hoped Sora would get announced when i saw
NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING

If there is anyone at smashboards who is illogical enough to realize how absolutely unique, difficult, strategic, and fun playing as olimar will be, they shouldn't be taken seriously. Have you seen anyone else who fights single handedly with things pulled from the ground?
peach, but olimar is way different

Lone Spectator

Smash Apprentice
People who think this update is a dissapointment are hypocrites.

90% of these people, no, 100% of these people BEGGED for a character update. When they finally get it, they complain like hell saying it's crap, and was the worst update ever.

Hey, on the brightside, It should be easier to get that Cpt. Olimar trophy now.:laugh:

SagePrime

Smash Cadet
I think Olimar is an alright choice. But seriously, he doesnt seem like a smash bro. How is he gonna be for serious smashers. I can honesly say that almost all of the popular hopefuls like Krystal, Lloyd, megaman, and Sigurd would be a much better choice.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
The only flaw with Olimar is that he may just be TOO awesome. Every other character is looking pretty dull in the shadow of his greatness.
Spot on.

Olimar makes them pale in significance.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Popularity doesn't = importance. As much as I want Ridley and Krystal myself, Olimar deserved the spot before them. He is the main character in a major Nintendo franchise, I can pretty much guarantee that there will be a Pikmin 3. Krystal and Ridley are both important to their franchises but neither are the main character.
Now this, I disagree with. Well, him deserving the spot more than Ridley.

Now, before I go on, I will say this: I'm not the biggest Ridlye supporter (though I DO think he'd be cool, I think the type of character he is wouldn't fit well into Brawl), and I DO like Olimar.

However, I find saying Olimar deserves the spot more than Ridley to be illogical. Olimar, though a main character, has only been featured in two games, both times playing what feels like more of a support role (it's almost arguable that the PIKMIN are really the main character, even though you really play as Olimar). Sure, number of games isn't importance in regards to likeliness of showing up (see Ice Climbers), I DO think it can still be argued in the sense of DESERVING the spot. A character who has more Nintendo involvement history, plays a major role in more games, and is an excellent foil to a character who is already confirmed seems more deserving than Olimar to me.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
You haters are pretty stupid to be like ZOMG I DIDNT GET RIDLEY SOZ I AM MAD.

How can you hate Olimar when you don't even know his moveset lol.

Btw I don't want Ridley/Geno in Brawl, Ridley as a Boss but thats it actually.

And he deserves it over Krystal, but I bet she will still be in.

Pikmin owns you n00bs =]

KingKraken

Smash Journeyman
I'm so happy that he is confirmed! I don't think we can qualify him as a disapointment if we haven't (a) seen him in play (b) seen his moveset or (c) actually played him our selves.

RedLink555

Smash Cadet
olimar's update was like a hard kick to the face for me. the characters are starting to get ridiculous. capn falcon, falco, mewtwo, etc should definitely not be kicked out now....right? they're taking out good fighter characters and adding gimmicky *******. i was fine with pokemon trainer, i even let diddy kong slide because it seemed like a good concept, but captain olimar? and another thing, did anyone notice how horribly polygonal this character looks? it looks like he's straight out of the nintendo64. now he can still be good with an interesting moveset, but i doubt it. any opinions? now i know ill get many a "YOU FAIL!" from the children in the boards, but hopefully there's still some rational people on these forums. i mean, sakurai could literally put a potato into the game and some people would think its the greatest thing ever.

Kunato

Smash Apprentice
Everyone should become happy because of this update. After all, it's a character update. Would you rather have a Birdo Assist Trophy update or something? It's a great update, even if it isn't your favorite character.

lordofwarzz

Smash Rookie
i can't wait to try to play as olimar he seems like a different kind of character were you would need to use more strategy them most other characters. i'm looking forward to playing as him and trying him out. He probably won't be on of my favorite characters to play but he does sound fun.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
olimar's update was like a hard kick to the face for me. the characters are starting to get ridiculous. capn falcon, falco, mewtwo, etc should definitely not be kicked out now....right? they're taking out good fighter characters and adding gimmicky *******. i was fine with pokemon trainer, i even let diddy kong slide because it seemed like a good concept, but captain olimar? and another thing, did anyone notice how horribly polygonal this character looks? it looks like he's straight out of the nintendo64. now he can still be good with an interesting moveset, but i doubt it. any opinions? now i know ill get many a "YOU FAIL!" from the children in the boards, but hopefully there's still some rational people on these forums. i mean, sakurai could literally put a potato into the game and some people would think its the greatest thing ever.
Nothing against you, I'm just asking - Exactly who DO you like from the newcomers? Pokemon Trainer and Diddy are great additions!

Well like I stated earlier, he might have been a disappointment for those waiting for Ridley/Geno/other people who won't be playable characters, I honestly did not like Snake at all when he was confirmed, I thought it was a stupid thing to add him into this kind of game, after seeing his moves and a few movies of him in action he seems like a good addition, so instead of venting about a character you don't like let's see how he plays first?

So I can understand how some of you might be disappointed now, but give the guy a chance.

I'll try him out regardless, but I have a feeling his moveset will end up changing some of your minds about him.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There is no way to say that Olimar is a disapointment without seeing any of his moves, without knowing how they work, or basically, any screenshot showing him doing anything other than looking cool.

RedLink555

Smash Cadet
Nothing against you, I'm just asking - Exactly who DO you like from the newcomers? Pokemon Trainer and Diddy are great additions!

Well like I stated earlier, he might have been a disappointment for those waiting for Ridley/Geno/other people who won't be playable characters, I honestly did not like Snake at all when he was confirmed, I thought it was a stupid thing to add him into this kind of game, after seeing his moves and a few movies of him in action he seems like a good addition, so instead of venting about a character you don't like let's see how he plays first?

So I can understand how some of you might be disappointed now, but give the guy a chance.

I'll try him out regardless, but I have a feeling his moveset will end up changing some of your minds about him.
maybe some newcomers who have potential to be good fighters in a fighting game, like wolf. not tiny fat *******. i really want this game to be great, so i hope his moves change my mind, but he's SO small. they could've made him so much bigger. i've played the pikmin games and enjoyed them, so don't think im biased because of that.

RedLink555

Smash Cadet
There is no way to say that Olimar is a disapointment without seeing any of his moves, without knowing how they work, or basically, any screenshot showing him doing anything other than looking cool.
he doesn't even look cool unless you put him in an N64 game. he's horribly polygonal.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon won't get kicked out. We've already seen his symbol and he has been in the past to Smash Bro's. And how has Olimar taken out anyone's fighter chances? When one fighter is confirmed it doesn't mean the other is impossible, it just mean's we have one new character.

I'm not really seeing the polygonal thing. Maybe a little on the Pikmin, but they're too small to really notice. We will find out his moveset soon enough and I doubt it will suck.

P.S. I would totally main potato.:)

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
maybe some newcomers who have potential to be good fighters in a fighting game, like wolf. not tiny fat *******. i really want this game to be great, so i hope his moves change my mind, but he's SO small. they could've made him so much bigger. i've played the pikmin games and enjoyed them, so don't think im biased because of that.
He is small, the smallest PC ever if I'm not mistaken. Then again his size seems right seeing how he was in Pikmin. But this could mean he's hella fast, we don't know much ><

SteveTV

Smash Apprentice
People who think this update is a dissapointment are hypocrites.

90% of these people, no, 100% of these people BEGGED for a character update. When they finally get it, they complain like hell saying it's crap, and was the worst update ever.

Hey, on the brightside, It should be easier to get that Cpt. Olimar trophy now.:laugh:
That's a little over the top. I agree with 90% though. I've never begged for an update of any kind. In fact I completely gave up on character updates when we got to 3 weeks without one. Now that we finally got one, meh. I saw challenger approaching and I didn't get excited in the least.

I agree, but we can say that Olimar as an update is disappointing. He is an interesting concept, and he will play like no one else. That's cool. But in the form of an update? Well, I'd rather have something else. I'm not excited about Olimar at all.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Finally another semi-wtf character that people didn't expect to be in it. From reading his bio it definitely seems interesting; however, I wonder how they will handle the Pikmin.

Is one of Olimar's specials summon a Pikmin? How easy is it to KO a Pikmin? How bad/good are the AI of the Pikmin?

He could potentially be great and be like a much weirder version of the Ice Climbers, or he could end up as garbage if it is too easy to dispatch the Pikmin on the field.

jlorde34@yahoo.com

Smash Apprentice
He looks like a pretty interesting unique character like PT and Ice Climbers. Im sure u can do alot of things with him. and he'll probably be a low tier at first until somebody can reveal his true powers. i like characters like that because people underestimate them. He like the other characters i mentioned will just make the game more fun trust me dog!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom