• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I assume Retro would work on a second DKCR before a Star Fox or F-Zero, because sales for the former are far more guaranteed after the first one's success. It seems at times as though people expect the latter two series to receive games just so that they are represented on a console, or because they've been dead for so long. Of course, sales can be drawn in by revitalizing what made the games so memorable in the first place, as occurred with DKCR in the first place, but they certainly aren't entitled to a new game, nor is Retro under some binding contract to develop one. Considering Nintendo is already starting to bring back what gamers are already familiar with in the form of NSMBU, a second DKCR seems more likely as well.

This isn't even mentioning the 2-D backgrounds, cartoony atmosphere that Retro consciously and frequently referenced as a staple of DKCR in interviews, and weather effects common in the DKC series that GoNintendo referenced. Hopefully Nintendo takes a page from the nostalgic section of NSMB's playbook and pieces the Kremlings back in along with these elements.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually it's been stated that there isn't a Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 in development, or at least isn't planned at the moment.

Considering that Retro Studios being "too busy" for Zelda, Miyamoto being skeptical on reviving F-Zero, and there is no Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 in development, it's safe to assume it's something else. Probably the safest bet being Star Fox or Metroid, but personally I want to see them develop their own IP from scratch.

D

Deleted member

Guys, I had a vision.

What if, despite being in his typical King persona, he always carries the Blunderbuss like his Kaptain persona? And he uses it as a main weapon throughout, including bludgenoning people with it? (For example, Forward Smash is a blast from it similar to how shotguns work in classic cartoons)
His Dash could even be that slide thing he did with it.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
As much as I would love to see Kaptain K rool be his main costume (DKC2 is my favorite!), I can only see the blunderbuss being a special move. Though I like the idea of his run being the blunderbuss push.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A blunderbuss-user, eh? Now -that- would be trend-setting. I could see it, or I could see it remaining a special move, if the developers decide it gets in the way of boxing punches and swipes. Either way is a winning situation.

When was DKCR2 explicitly shot down? Immediately after release, Retro said they had no plans for a sequel, but this is nearly two years later, so that's far from a deconfirmation, if that is indeed the interview you are referencing, Habanero.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since DKR1 was basically a kremlin free, not as atmospheric but more cartoonish version of DKC1, I'd like to see Retro's take of Kremlin isle for DKCR2

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Whether or not Kremlings return in the sequel depends...is Retro designing Donkey Kong Country 2 Returns, or Donkey Kong Country Returns 2? The former seems a much better fit for Kremlings than the latter, since it would virtually require a return to Crocodile Isle while the latter would not.

I can't repeat enough how much I hope Retro heard and responded to the Tiki backlash by rectifying their mistake.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Stickerbrush levels are shoo-ins. Kremland hopefully would be as well, since...Tiki Land has a terrible ring to it, to be honest.

KlumpKluxKlan

Smash Rookie
Gen'ral Klump, reportin' for duty! I got some news, and it is in the A1 rank of importance!

King Ka-Rool is IN FAVOR of that big bird fellow, as long as he guards the Crystal Coconut in Donkey Kongo Bongo Country 4 as a boss!

What a swell job, huh?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Hey, I just made a rare interesting find on GameFAQs...granted, it was an article linked to GameFAQs, but I digress. It contains tidbits about Retro's new game, all of which are quite applicable to a DKCR sequel.

Monty Goulet frequently lurked the GameFAQs DKCR boards during the game's development in 2010. In addition, this talk of atmosphere in combination with an "unrealistic" game seems to rule out all of the Star Fox/F-Zero/Metroid theories.

Let's hope that this is a DKCR2 project starring K. Rool back in his villain role. Hell, even if he's absent, the game will absolutely not introduce any characters more important than him to diminish his Smash prospects.
Fuel to the fire. Iwata's Bananas.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That was posted right after DKCR's release, when they really didn't have anything planned. Whether that is still true more than a year and a half later is anyone's guess.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't even know if Retro is going to make a sequel for Returns. but I'm curious about what they are working right now... Miyamoto said that he is interested in giving Retro a chance at the Zelda franchise.

about K. Rool himself... I haven't got anything more to say. I already stated my defense in including more villainous and rival characters in Smash Bros., thus, my sig.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Retro is planning to make a DKCR2, I hope they put in Dixie Kong and Kiddy Kong as 3P and 4P characters (two heavy powerhouses and two nimble sky fighters) and bring back the Kremlings along with King K. Rool. And it needs to have underwater levels and bring back the Animal Buddies (Enguarde, Squitter, Ellie, etc.) while they are at it.

D

Deleted member

Nah, Funky and Cranky should totally be the next two Kongs. :troll:

Or at least Cranky over Kiddy. I mean, he HAS been training for his "big adventure".

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Cranky Kong's big adventure?

You mean Super Legend of Cranky Kong: Crystals Coconuts of Chaos 3 DX Directors Cut 64 Advance DS Wii Platinum version- Super Hyper Turbo Championship Player's Choice edition version 1.1.43 ?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Cranky Kong would be a fantastic fourth DK rep. Remember, according to the DKC cartoon, him and K. Rool used to be friends. Think about the event match possibilities. . .

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I only saw it on TV once and instantly disliked it.

Years later (About 2 months ago) I watched some episodes online.

I still dislike it

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Oh, it's totally laughable nowadays for sure. But it's still the "best bad" cartoon of the era, in my opinion. K. Rool's portrayal was decent, at least.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Cranky Kong would be a fantastic fourth DK rep. Remember, according to the DKC cartoon, him and K. Rool used to be friends. Think about the event match possibilities. . .
All my want! I also remember Wrinkly's Brawl trophy description saying that K. Rool was a student at the Kong Kollege and she was his teacher. Even more possibilities. :)

D

Deleted member

Wasn't Wrinkly Kong his wife?

EDIT: Oh, we're talking about K. Rool.
I see in Wrinkly's trophy that he was a student of hers at Kong Kollege.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That trophy description is a load of bollocks. K. Rool's trophy claims that Kaptain is his -brother-, but goes on to claim that -King- K. Rool was her student. What??

Did not know the word 'bollocks' was censored...cool.

D

Deleted member

In Japan, Kaptain IS known as his brother (As is Baron). So it was just a case of not fixing the description outside of Japan, like Lyn's age.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Japanese canon =/= Western canon

Yeah, they did some mistakes when localizing the trophy description, as they merely translated the text, but didn't change the story details according to the Western releases. Some of these errors were fixed in the European version, though. But I think King K. Rool's trophy still refers to Kaptain as his brother.

You can check these changes on SmashWiki.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Oh, the story behind the Kaptain error on K. Rool's trophy is clear by now. It's just funny that, even though the trophies were written to reflect the Japanese canon, Wrinkly's trophy still says that KING K. Rool was her student. Not Kaptain. The Japanese accidentally messed up their own canon.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I support K. Rool, Donkey kong needs a villain

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
*tries to come up with a good counter-argument for having K. Rool in smash bros to see the other sides' point-of-view*

*fails to find any good, solid reasons*

Yep, K. Rool is gonna make it. You can book it.

Edit: Future Johnknight1 told me this is what happened to the K. Rool haters...

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
is there anyway I can be a kutthroat? The name sounds so dope and appealing haha. Anyway k rool is most likely be in and if he is in for sure, he's def someone I'm going to want to main purely for nostalgia and kremlins pride. Leggo kaptain k. ROOL

:phone:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ I think all you need to do is ask, and you're in. ;)

Also guys, how do you think the unofficial WiiU menu hacking debug stuff about a DK game is in the works for the WiiU could effect K. Rool's chances, it at all=???

I think if he's not in it, no sweat. If he's in it and Sakurai and co. knows, we got ourselves a shoe-in! :)

Top Bottom