• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keep Losing? Try this...

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Why hasn't this thread been stickied? This is one of the most important threads on the whole forum, and it's not pinned? What's with that?

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
^ there's a link to it in that important threads sticky, so in a way it is! :p

and yea this thread is good. Makes you think.

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
this reminds me of my melee training days. i would only play ligtning melee. I tried to sharpen my reflexes and strengthen my fingers, y'know, get them used to moving really fast. Then when i'd go to play competitively, i'd notice almost no improvement. Then for kicks, i'd try slo-mo melee. the benifits from the slowmotion gameplay halped me greatly. The slow movments calmed my mind and opened up new options in otherwise static situations which i would have never been able to come up with unless i had ample time to think on it. Great post.

l3rian

Smash Cadet
im glad u put the part where it ses "One person attacks, then another person immediately approaches and attacks, and on and on. You need to be able to have enough control over your game that you can prevent yourself from immediately executing a command. This is why rolling works so well against so many players. Players are unable to pause even for a moment in their flurry of attacks and movements." its so true, all of my friends do that and theyve only gotten a tiny bit better over....about 3 years. watching them is boring, its all about dodge rolling. whoever gets the most dodge rolls wins basically. b/c the other person cant chill for one second to wait for that dodge to end. and when i play them they are SEVERELY punished for that (they get a beaten to the upper left/right hand corner). its funny as crap too

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
good read, I've learned the hard way that rolling isn't always the solution rather quickly, so my main mix ups are now more random. Even though I don't fall prey too often to these, I can direct a lot of my friends to this page.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
good read, I've learned the hard way that rolling isn't always the solution rather quickly, so my main mix ups are now more random. Even though I don't fall prey too often to these, I can direct a lot of my friends to this page.
Interesting to see phi1ny3 here, because he is so active on the Lucario threads. I actually just set up a thread on alternative forms of dodging (in the Lucario threads), although I also am beginning to realize the importance of placing more focus on your opponents moves than your own.

Korea4ever

Smash Cadet
I'm kind of disappointed to say that all the things that I shouldn't do pretty much defines my gameplay. It'll be hard to adjust, but I'm sure it will be well worth it.

On the other hand, full jumping and landing a fully charged shield breaker on someone is pretty fun, but in hindsight, it's pretty much the most ******** thing I do in any match.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
This kind of thread needs to be made every so often. If you actually search the forums a bit you will come across threads like this every year or so. Contrary to what Yuna said earlier, this isn't common sense to a lot of players. Honestly, I didn't realize this myself until I had played Melee for a few years. So yeah, good job for spreading the word to the latest generation of players mang. Props.

One thing that I do agree with Yuna on is that you could have condensed the post a bit, but really that is a minor issue. Perhaps update it a bit? You want this kind of advice to be as inviting to read as possible.

Amide

Smash Lord
While I admit, I'm decent at brawl, I realize that I only worry about taking damage after I have 100+ >__> All those lasers really do add up...

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
its pretty hard to use peripheral vision to look at your character if you main olimar, its hard to see pikmin order

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's good to see this thread is still popular. I've gotten a lot better since I first read this and am not as paranoid about getting hit as I used to be. Simply walking the other direction, jumping, and sometimes just standing still (like when you've memorized how far Falco's reflector and Lucas's PK fire go) are effective ways to dodge attacks. There's also nothing wrong with having your opponent come to you or running away to better position yourself.

nuro

Smash Lord
Lol.

I find it funny how everyone analyzes the game so much. I mean, in the end we just play it anyway right?

And I wouldn't take Isai's quote into consideration so much. Don't get hit is too vague and I think one of the main reasons Isai said that was just to reply back to the noobs who tell him junk like "Omg. Your amazing! Do you have any tips for me to get better?!" so he just gives them a simple answer to stfu.

btw alex u need to come to more ssbb tournaments instead of making these types of threads. ;p jk

zandervm

Smash Rookie
I have to say that I really like the advice on keeping your eyes on your opponent. I'd never though about it before, but I've always concentrated more on my own character. It seams so common sense now. Now that I've started watching my opponent carefully, I've drastically improved.

Bocom

Smash Apprentice
I read this lightly once before and kind of waved it off as something I didn't care about.

Now, when I re-read it, I see things that I should've noted earlier, and stuff I should've learned in Melee before Brawl was released.

Great job!

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Thank you. I learned alot about what I was doing wrong. This should help when I get intimidaed. Which is alot. Also the pressure of using lower tiers. Like Gannon. This got me thinking"Well he's got a projectile. It's over." Yet with this faq I feel an easiness when going against someone with this advantage. Again, thank you.

Master Ppv

Smash Journeyman
An engaging read, full of useful info I will do my best to remember Thank you for giving us good ways to fend off those whom we struggle to beat in our encounters.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Lol.

I find it funny how everyone analyzes the game so much. I mean, in the end we just play it anyway right?

And I wouldn't take Isai's quote into consideration so much. Don't get hit is too vague and I think one of the main reasons Isai said that was just to reply back to the noobs who tell him junk like "Omg. Your amazing! Do you have any tips for me to get better?!" so he just gives them a simple answer to stfu.

btw alex u need to come to more ssbb tournaments instead of making these types of threads. ;p jk
However, some people like to play to win tournament money.

And Isai's quote is good advice and definitely goes deeper than what it says. Even if he doesn't intend to use it that way.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
What's deep about "don't get hit?" If I wrote a novel completely devoid of words and told you to use your imagination, would you call me a deep author?

zandervm

Smash Rookie
Originally Posted by Col. Stauffenberg
What's deep about "don't get hit?" If I wrote a novel completely devoid of words and told you to use your imagination, would you call me a deep author?
That depends. Is your last name Hemingway?

Necro Dream

Smash Cadet
uhh would constantly thinking about not getting hit mess with how would someone normally plays?
dunno if this was asked but im jc
cuz i usually just parry or sidestep i tend not to roll as much and i seem to fair off good like that

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Hmm maybe if you constantly JUST worried about taking damage you'd become flinchy? but you need to balance your defense with your offense that is what any game is all about right? (besides hungry hungry hippos)

And I tried watching my opponent instead of my own character... that DOES help! sometimes late in a match I'll have been watching my own character the whole time--and I realize I should be watching my opponents--and in that match my game gets a bit better after I start doing that..

Laggy matches help too! It's like a slow-mo brawl xD
lol :)

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
Excellent thread cwjalex! These are points that I live on in my smash playstyle. This is why I put such high importance on character's movements as opposed to their attacks etc. For instance, when I say that I prefer Kirby over Metaknight because MK's movements are slower even though his attacks come out faster, this is what I'm talking about. Kirby's spot-dodging, double-spot-dodging, rolling and general spacing-type movements are quicker than MK's and therefore I believe he has an edge. This is just one example but my point is that spacing, dodging, counter-attacks, and defensive-offense in general is what will win battles in the future IMHO.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
lol good summation. Makes sense though. And the bit about the walking half an inch made sense. Walk back then use a side smash or something. That would be good. XD

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If anyone understands what the cwjalex meant by focusing on your opponent, rather than on yourself, I would appreciate it if someone could explain that a bit more to me, and perhaps others. I know that he gives an example of Marth coming at Peach, and Peach uses her defense and thinks that Marth is going to land in the front, when in fact, he lands behind her, and thus is out of dangers way. What I am wondering is how this can be applied to Brawl in every match.

I don't like Pit's dash attack, because he can be punished if the opponent shields, so I am trying to figure a way on how to get behind my opponent. It's tough, but it'll help me in the long run. Hopefully. :urg:

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Dryn see there shielding and 'dont' dash attack. Either run right behind them if you think they wont shield grab, or you can grab their shield, OR you can dash back the other way, OR jump away.

I think the OP was trying to say you have to keep an eye on your opponent, if you see that shield using you have to react and not use that dash attack.

--

and for the record i like pits dash attack, strong and comes out fast lol/

Luxferre

Smash Apprentice
I guess our worst enemy in the end, is the fear to lose.
So that i press buttons fast and attack before getting attacked.
if you master the hole control over the panik, and then get good, you get the meaning of being a pro i think.
This is basicly teaching: "Master yourelf to master your opponent".
I know that I always roll to prevent myself from getting hit.
I will really take this thread to heart, thanks.

Chex-Mex

Smash Rookie
A nice basic guide. You should add your thoughts on when learning more difficult maneuvers (combos, shellshifting, snake dashing, you know what i mean) would be appropriate. Although i suppose if one were to master everything you said, they'd know. To add my opinion, when I go for an attack, I always try and have a plan B, C, and D. maybe more depending on the situation. Or less. But you should know, or at least try to know all the possibilities open to your opponent when you decide to attack. That way, they can't really catch you off guard. Alot of that is reliant on knowledge of ranges, and proper spacing. Thats my input/opinion.

nightSN

Smash Ace
honesty, i take damage intensionally because of lucario's aura but i dont depend on this a whole lot and the spacing explainations is very good (:

Top Bottom