• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kel's Japanese information thread- updated with JAPANESE TIER LIST

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, they use three stocks, but their stock time limit is set to 10 minutes instead of 8 minutes.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Oh. Why DON'T we use just timer, though? If it poses no detriment to Lucario, I see no problem.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Time constraints. Not only does it have the "encourage camping after a stock lead" situation, but it also will always take that long no matter how aggressively each player plays.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Time constraints. Not only does it have the "encourage camping after a stock lead" situation, but it also will always take that long no matter how aggressively each player plays.
But it would also allow TOs to have a better sense of how long a tournament would take, and the current system also has the "encourage camping after a stock lead" situation. Besides, each player could use a bit more time to plot. Brawl IS a defensive game.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Okay guys, wtf.

They use a 10 minute timer WITH stocks. 3 stocks. Final Destination. Fo-

Anyway...it's always nice to not take granted that stock+time combo exists, even if when you go to a tourney it happens to all be set-up for you. ;P

EDIT - lol page refresh fail. +1 post count yay? <_________<

IxxI

Smash Fence
I know a lot of people say that the US is better than Japan. What do the Japanese think? Are we better or worse than them?

Moozle

Smash Champion
This is the most interesting thread I've read in a long time:laugh: I really liked your fights against that Yoshi...he definitely knew what he was doing! Also your tag being USA is really funny lol

Have you fought any Luigis or Marios over there?

Bartolon

Smash Lord
I am talking much to "Yone" lately. And I heard from him that his pikachu is prolly the best Pikachu from japan.
He is high on the ranking from japan (wi-fi area) but he still has to go to a offline tourney. He plays with souther and other good players offline.
Did the japanese players mention him by the best players from japan?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Kel, you haven't answered my question fully yet, with the response from your friend.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Kel, you haven't answered my question fully yet, with the response from your friend.
How rude.

Kel has to go to school and stuff + he has lots of questions to answer -___-;

Be patient.

Not to mention the Smashfests are on Friday, I think...so he might not have a chance to ask until then.

nevershootme

Smash Master
I have encountered a female player actually. This last Saturday there was a girl playing Snake. She was maybe two steps below Ally's skill level. No joke. I went back and forth with her, but she REALLY knew what she was doing. She was beating the best Metaknight in Nagoya and going even with me. I have a video of me playing her, but after I took one video she asked what I was going to do with the videos. When I told her I'd be uploading them to youtube she had this huge grimace on her face and told me she didn't want them on youtube. I told her I wouldn't upload them, so I can't. I reallllllly wish I could though. I was getting excited because I hadn't played anyone that good since I left the states. I think she's the best person I've played here. It was humorous to see this Japanese girl playing a super manly, action-stubble packed, mullet-tastic character, beat my metaknight, and then turn to a mirror and check her hair as if nothing had happened when the results screen came up. Too good.
you could just upload it in secret and keep it for private viewing, but i guess not since it would be considered disrespectful. but can you compare her style with ally, dsf, ultimate razer?

Noa.

Smash Master
Yeah, you did say that she was two levels below Ally, but tell us a little more about her playstyle. And it now just occurred to me. How'd they get so good at this game without having frequent tournaments or a forum to talk about the game competitively.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Yeah, you did say that she was two levels below Ally, but tell us a little more about her playstyle. And it now just occurred to me. How'd they get so good at this game without having frequent tournaments or a forum to talk about the game competitively.
They're Japanese.

Ravener

Smash Apprentice
Yer Kel towards the end of the year (december - january), I'll be at Chofu, Tokyo.
Would it be likely that there would be a tournament near tokyo in either december or january? And i can speak japanese so i'll probably go to the tournament :)

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
You don't brick a Wii by installing homebrew, you can never brick a Wii by installing homebrew. So DO IT and have them play it and let us know what they thought.

I'm just curious to be honest. Please Kel? For a fellow Ohioan? :)
I'm would be curious too, but unless he brought his own copy of Brawl, that's not gonna happen. There's no japanese codeset.

Sade

Smash Cadet
Wow, the Smash site asks for a Japanese mobile phone email address. Was this like that before? Other sites like Mixi.jp have been doing the same thing.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Kel, please tell the Falcos there that Falco can Footstool out of his Downthrow, platform cancel, and dropthrough from a shield to get a free laser lock on Smashville.

He can do way more than that, but that's the basic thing and I'm sure they can figure out the rest considering what else I've seen from them.

I'm sure they would appreciate it and I don't think they've found this yet.

Sade

Smash Cadet
Just put in your normal email address.
It only accepts e-mails like docomo.ne.jp and other various cell phone company e-mails. I'm not the only one with this problem; if you look at other popular sites like Mixi, foreigners have trouble getting in.

Mit

Smash Ace
PLEASE get me a vid of that Falcon player. If possible, get the actual guy playing him in the video too. He sounds amazing.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
It only accepts e-mails like docomo.ne.jp and other various cell phone company e-mails. I'm not the only one with this problem; if you look at other popular sites like Mixi, foreigners have trouble getting in.
That's odd. I just used my school email address and it worked just fine.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Oh wow, I was just gonna go onto the international boards and post there but this place is much better for this.

Basically, im part of a melee crew from the UK, and this Summer, me and two friends and potentially more are going to Japan for fun, but we're also looking for smash,
Kel, you mentioned something about a smash tournament early summer? is there gonna be a melee there too, cos everyone in my crew apart from me hates brawl lol

were gonna be in japan from about the 4th to the 18th of July so if there is anything going on melee wise around about then, please tell me Kel.

Sade

Smash Cadet
That's odd. I just used my school email address and it worked just fine.
Recently?

Odd. I tried the following:
-School e-mail
-Paid e-mail (personal site)
-Yahoo
-Yahoo.co.jp
-Goo.ne.jp
-Gmail

And none worked.

Kel

Smash Master
Kel, I'll be staying in Yokohama.

Know anyone near there?
Not personally, but I can try to hook you up with some people when the time comes.
Yer Kel towards the end of the year (december - january), I'll be at Chofu, Tokyo.
Would it be likely that there would be a tournament near tokyo in either december or january? And i can speak japanese so i'll probably go to the tournament :)
Well there was a big Nagoya tournament in December, so I'm going to assume that it's a time where people are on holidays and have free time, so the likelyhood is that there will be a tournament around that time. I'll tell you if I hear anything
Kel, please tell the Falcos there that Falco can Footstool out of his Downthrow, platform cancel, and dropthrough from a shield to get a free laser lock on Smashville.

He can do way more than that, but that's the basic thing and I'm sure they can figure out the rest considering what else I've seen from them.

I'm sure they would appreciate it and I don't think they've found this yet.
Haha I'll be sure to tell them
PLEASE get me a vid of that Falcon player. If possible, get the actual guy playing him in the video too. He sounds amazing.
Next time I see him I'll be sure to get videos for you
Oh wow, I was just gonna go onto the international boards and post there but this place is much better for this.

Basically, im part of a melee crew from the UK, and this Summer, me and two friends and potentially more are going to Japan for fun, but we're also looking for smash,
Kel, you mentioned something about a smash tournament early summer? is there gonna be a melee there too, cos everyone in my crew apart from me hates brawl lol

were gonna be in japan from about the 4th to the 18th of July so if there is anything going on melee wise around about then, please tell me Kel.
I have heard absolutely nothing about melee. They play it for fun, that's all I know. If I hear anything about a melee tournament, you'll be the first to know though.

To everyone else:
I signed up to smacom using my school email address

The first post is updated with the JAPANESE TIER LIST and best players for a bunch of characters.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
In Japan, all of my mains are very high.

Pit is the 4th best in their current metagame.
Wolf & Lucario are both A Rank.

5ive

Smash Champion
Someone copypasta the tier list for people too lazy to sign up and navigate through the japanese text.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
lol @ 5ive

Anyway... that tierlist seems kinda silly at a few parts (Lucas above Bowser? Link so high up? WTFOX?), but oh well. :3

So yea. Thank you very very much for all the information, Kel, we really appreciate you offering this and basically sewing the Smash community together even more. =)

kr3wman

Smash Master
Kel, have you talked to the japanese about Genesis and if yes are some of them planning to come?

LuLLo

Smash Ace
My question for you, Kel, do you think the players in Japan are more developed then us Americans/Europeans?
Because if I look at the Japanese tier list, it LOOKS like they have the game down more than we do. I, for example, always said that Lucas should be much higher, same for Fox (don't have backup for this, I just feel they should be higher) and I believe that the Japanese Brawlers have figured out the game a bit more than we do.

Top Bottom