• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kel's Japanese information thread- updated with JAPANESE TIER LIST

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
I clicked the Japanese link. If anyone is crazy enough to join that place and tell us what's going on, that'd be great.
Um... I could copy and paste a couple pages, send it over to my school computer and translate it. But that would be way to hard to do.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Wow, nice thread.

Japan sure has a different idea of the Tier list, though.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Any updates on the "crazy wolf combo on DDD" yet? The wolf boards are dying to know =P

Thanks.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Hmm...

Kel, what do your friends think of DISK, the Marth player that plays with Rain and Bombsoldier? Also...what do they think of RATS?

RATS seems to have somewhat of a fanbase here...what about in his homeland?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Is there a Japanese video hosting site that has videos for these players?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Wtfox.
Wtfpit.
What's so hard to believe? Pit's a great character that people have no idea how to play professionally. I beat good MK players with my Pit (Ok, its mostly 50/50).

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
I envy anyone who has been to Japan.
The farthest away from Tennessee I have ever been was Florida :(
That is good, Link is a little higher on the tier list :)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Nico Nico Douga.
Thank you.

Also, is Rain considered one of the best Falcon players in Japan also? From what I've seen his Falcon looks really good (either that or Smasher is really bad).

kr3wman

Smash Master
What's so hard to believe? Pit's a great character that people have no idea how to play professionally. I beat good MK players with my Pit (Ok, its mostly 50/50).
approach and perfect shield the arrows.

Shield any sort of attack.

Punish.

Rinse and repeat.

Don't time your airdodge like a moron (like any other matchup).

Use an attack with KO power when he's at 100%.

I beat good pits with my falcon.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Yeah, cause everyone plays Pit the same (/sarcasm).

You mentioned earlier about they focus more on combing and grab releases. Mind mentioning more exactly what those grab releases might be? The only decent sized grab releases that are really worth mentioning that I know of are the ones that everyone has against ness, lucas, and wario. Plus, any other character that has good grab game like Bowser.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Fox above Pikachu on the tier list over there? I think you need to show them some buffered chaingrabbing capabilities if they haven't been introduced to it yet. That should cause a large shift in their evaluation.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Fox above Pikachu on the tier list over there? I think you need to show them some buffered chaingrabbing capabilities if they haven't been introduced to it yet. That should cause a large shift in their evaluation.
I'm sure they know that. But I don't think they're gonna let one matchup get in his way, because he still has plenty of strengths in other matchups that the Japanese probably take great advantage of.

They might know more than we do about certain characters.

The way all matches are held (we have like 20 stages to choose from compared to like their 6) might also effect how matches are met.

Also, they might not categorized everyone specifically within those tiers. Everyone in the A tier might just be thrown in there and known that they are typically better than B tier and below.

General opinion might play a part in the tier list creation. Looking right now, everyone is expecting Wario or Diddy to rise up pretty far.

Then they may not care about rankings altogether. Brawl was made to have fun, so just play the game.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I still complain even on this day that there is not enough Kirby players in Japan. Maybe I should stop going to Puyo tourneys and more Smash tourneys. ;p ♥

castorpollux

Smash Champion
lol the japanese are the ones who found that out.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Hey Kel, do you think you could as some of the more well known smashers in your area about the tier placings? For example, why are Wolf and Pit placed so high? Do they know any techniques (as in the GRs/combos you said they have) that we dont know of? I would be really interested in hearing their opinion on the placements of characters that we consider low/mid tier at best. If its too much trouble to translate a whole conversation about this, you could just ask them to show you specific tricks with these characters. I mean everyones dying (or at least I am) to see this Wolf combo on D3.
Thanks in advance ^_^

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Kel said:
My friend went on to tell me that they don't REALLY think Ganon is in a low tier by himself, but they put him in G tier because it stands for "ganondor tier"
Lol the Japanese are too cool.

Shao-tan

Smash Cadet
They know, I've seen a video of a random japanese doing it on YUI.

Suyon

Smash Lord
Well probably the main reason why other characters are so high on the tier list is because they don't play for money and focus a lot more on other characters. Which means no Metaknights that play to win money.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you're still answering questions, Kel, I've got one.

I remember reading somewhere about Diddy's metagame in Japan. My source, that I can't remember anymore, said that Diddy slowly rose up the tier list over time (eventually peaking out at about #2), but began dropping as more people learned how to deal with the bananas. The article/essay/post then stated that because of this, the Diddy players were forced to use only one banana from then on. I remember seeing videos of this time period where they only used one banana (or maybe it was just the videos I watched. that's why I'm asking. ^_^). The Diddy players then began putting much more effort and time into learning combos that don't use bananas rather than learning how to use the banans correctly.

So here's my question. Is there any truth to this?

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
their mk hasnt evolved as much as america's but dang, go japan reping the whole cast
There are 3 diddy players in top6 though. If M2K isn't lieing and diddy counters MK then the diddy dominance would explain a lack of MK players.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
But it's not MK, which makes it alright.

10doublestandards

Top Bottom