• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby & The Amazing Guide

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
T!mmy you should add some matchups to the guide... theres a lot of threads popping up for each character o.o.

Also those threads could probably help with the writing of a matchup section.

Great guide by the way ^.^

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Update:
I've had some spare time (and a steady internet connection), so I've started work on Kirby's Hats. ^_^

ron561

Smash Journeyman
T!mmy you should add some matchups to the guide... theres a lot of threads popping up for each character o.o.

Also those threads could probably help with the writing of a matchup section.

Great guide by the way ^.^
Agreed

Some people are having trouble with certain matchups,it would be helpful if you add some match ups to the guide.

There are some topics you can get some information from and even add your own if you decide to add a section like this in.

I'd be interested in helping make it as well.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
w00t, teh t!MmY has Brawl and has made a pwnage guide =P
Seriously a great piece of work and I read it all through ^_^

Just a heads up;
There are two different ledge attacks (as in melee) you do a different ledge attack when you reach 100% damage. (If not, slap me XD ).

I'm probably co-maining Kirby, he seems better than in Melee (where I used him as Low Tier-main or something like that XD). I have like 5 games of Kirby and love them all. The Pink blob is just to adorable to not love him x3

I by the way kinda disagree with the fact you said the Bair has less knockback. I think, compared to other moves in the game, it improved. You can now combo with it at low percentages easier, but it also seems that you can KO easier with it at higher percentages. I might be completely wrong though, but I use it often as a killer move, along with the F-Smash =)

Again, great guide. I'm looking forward to some strategies you use ^_^

Sejita

Smash Cadet
Might I suggest a new combo for the game? I dunno if this one has already been discovered, but I call it the Hadlyhammer (after myself, haha).

Basically it goes down like this:

When you're in the air above someone, rock drop. Their first instinct (USUALLY) is to shield dodge or move just out of reach. Now, when the rock has safely passed any point where it can hit them, they'll move BACK in for a grab or something, close enough for you to hit them. As they move back in, you cancel out with a side B, and aerial hammer them into oblivion before they even realize what just happened.

If this hasn't been discovered, or posted....pllllllllllease give me credit, haha.

IC3R

Smash Lord
t!MmY = mah H3R0
Kirby = t3h pwn4g3

Kudos to Sakurai-san and the Smash Team for improving Kirby by the truckload--a smexy Dash Attack, that amazing Giant Smash (Aerial Hammer), and faster attacks overall!!!
Kirby has been rightfully restored to his former glory, and at a low cost, too!
No Kirbycides = No Problem = Nobody complaining about them :chuckle: Swallowcide is still there, though!

And kudos to t!MmY for making this kick-azz guide to the Kirbster, and for always making Kirby look like a winner. Scratch that--for making Kirby always BE a winner! :p

And Sejita: Fun-looking combo, I'ma try it out soon ;)

BLUE KIRBY PWNZ ALL YOUR GRASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!

_lucky_

Smash Rookie
nice giude but next time plz don't post it if you haven't finished! but any way kirbys awesome peace out

YinYang.ERROR

Smash Journeyman
_lucky_ said:
nice giude but next time plz don't post it if you haven't finished! but any way kirbys awesome peace out
Nice guides take a LONG time to make, if T!Mmy did not post it when he first started on it we would not have this large pile of information we have now regarding Kirby and his move list, hats, ect. I am quite happy T!Mmy released this guide even if it is unfinished, the fact remains this is still the best resource for Kirby out right now, and possibly will stay that way.

-YinYang.Error

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I mained Kirby in SSB64, and decided to come back for Brawl.

I am VERY pleased to say, this is by far the best chracter guide I have read on these forums.

Doval

Smash Lord
Star Shot damage isn't actually based on Weight, its damage is somewhat arbitrary and character specific. For instance, its percentage and knockback won't change if the projectile character is in Metal Form or Tiny (nor will the star shrink, for that matter.) In addition to that, the character placement is wrong in many places - Snake does 17% even though he's slightly heavier than King Dedede, and Squirtle and Fox do 12% even though they're lighter than G&W (G&W is actually the fourth lightest.)

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
...For the record, Sonic's ability is Homing Attack, and Wario's is called Chomp. Just what it says on the Dojo...

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
nice guide.

Just would like to comment quickly on the comboing potential of the F-throw. A great way to start on a stock, and adds the fear of approaching kirby. Its a very versatile setup as well.

F-Throw, Uair as you fall, immediately grab, F-Throw.

Most characters at 0% you can get this basic combo done, and some characters you can add another Uair-->grab. Follow it up with:

D-throw, Up tilt (x2), Uair, while falling Uair, jc, Uair. it takes some practice to get that far, but you can also finish early at the second F-Throw and F Smash, or hammer. its a garenteed 55% + damage plus the opponent is at a Disadvantage against Kirby's edge game, since you both are in the air.

Also, I would like to say that at least for me, i've found Hammer (air) to be wonderful for counterhitting opponents when they approach me due to the horizontal movement it gives. Combined with the trotting/dashdancing you can quickly jump out of an opponent's attack range and quickly move back with the hammer before they recover. Add that to the Better air mobility, his Wall of pain, and the fear of getting thrown by him into a 50%+ combo, and Kirby has one of the best close range Defenses in the game IMO

SharpSymmetry

Smash Rookie
the up grab attack had first appeared in Kirby's Adventure, Backdrop Power.

oh and His Kirby Spin taunt was the classic one, in the choose character menu in the first Smash. xP

Kabii ^.^

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
oh and His Kirby Spin taunt was the classic one, in the choose character menu in the first Smash. xP
Uh...I knew that. Okay, maybe not...

And here's a fun fact: When you choose him while using the Wii Remote he says his "Aaaiiiiii" taunt from Melee.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
@ AkaiDoesDallas: Kirby's not a very defensive char... his combos are just too good to let your opponent come to you. I guess you could call someone who spams Final Cutter a defensive player, but otherwise, nah, the pink puffball is pretty **** aggressive.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Considering the infancy of competitive Brawl, I'm holding off on character match-ups right now. People are still learning things for different characters.

I've now had a chance to play people from all over the West Coast and had more experience with different characters and their mains, but I still think there is a lot more to learn. What I'm going to do is put up information on the fundamentals of fighting (Section V) which can be used for a variety of match-ups. I think this will be of much more use than character specific match-ups at this point and time..

milkieee

Smash Journeyman
**** I wish I'd known that thread earlier ^^
yesterday playing brawl with some friends I noticed how much kirby has improoved, but I really didn't know how to play .. no wavedash techchasing, **** brawl ^^

his aerial game is incredible now like back in ssb64 ^^
I love kirby looking forward to be the brawl king kirby 90 xDD

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
So how is Kirby doing competitively in Tourns.
Also i loved the Mario hat kirby picture(actually made one of my own genius idea)

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Yeah generally dont let this move hit the ground. Unless you have some kind of gauranteed hit.
if the move hits the ground theres a second hitbox that you have to consider thats larger then the stone itself... a shock wave type of attack
also if you hit a person who is sitting there with a shield it will push them away and do a lot of damage to their shield, and if you will generally have just enough time to use an attack or air dodge
stopping before you hit the ground is good but people can catch on and expect it just be sure to mix up your strategies

Moosecalibur

Smash Apprentice
if the move hits the ground theres a second hitbox that you have to consider thats larger then the stone itself... a shock wave type of attack
also if you hit a person who is sitting there with a shield it will push them away and do a lot of damage to their shield, and if you will generally have just enough time to use an attack or air dodge
stopping before you hit the ground is good but people can catch on and expect it just be sure to mix up your strategies
Well, it should be put in for newer players because I learned this the last month before Brawl came out, and I was disappointed for not knowing this (it also helps me beat my friend that only rock spams with kirby)

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Might I suggest a new combo for the game? I dunno if this one has already been discovered, but I call it the Hadlyhammer (after myself, haha).

Basically it goes down like this:

When you're in the air above someone, rock drop. Their first instinct (USUALLY) is to shield dodge or move just out of reach. Now, when the rock has safely passed any point where it can hit them, they'll move BACK in for a grab or something, close enough for you to hit them. As they move back in, you cancel out with a side B, and aerial hammer them into oblivion before they even realize what just happened.

If this hasn't been discovered, or posted....pllllllllllease give me credit, haha.
I do that sometimes. But it doesn't really work that well if they're close enough to you. If they are far enough distance from you when you land on the ground with rock, they'll usually run up to you and attack you with a smash or something. You'd have to time the aerial hammer well and also have enough time to use it cause there's plenty of attacks that attack faster than the aerial hammer ><. Though they probably won't fall for it more than once or twice. I know Zelda's dash attack outprioritizes it and this probably won't be a good solution. It's a decent way of getting out of rock though I guess :s.

Inkofdeath

Smash Rookie
Very detailed guide, thing to improve would be to include what the controls are, it would only make it so much better. ^_^

Glad there are people who are dedicated to Kirby. <3

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Question for the vulcan jab. Can it infinite against a wall? I'm pretty sure ppl can DI out of it but just in case. Is it possible to infinite anyone against the wall with a vulcan jab?

Sandwich

Smash Ace
My buddy Warp can attest it is NOT an infinite.

You can DI forward out of it. It's a damage dealer but it's not an infinite.

Ills

Smash Apprentice
In the case of being stuck between TWO walls, an infinite.
But it is very DI-able.

Arcanejazz

Smash Apprentice
t!mmy, this giude is awesome, and i cant wait til its finished. in honor of you, i made this terrifying picture, lmao!

PS: Sorry about the watermark, Im just protective of my work now that its been stolen a couple times.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Don't forget about Kirby's rising aerial abilities. It's good for launching Bairs.

Top Bottom