• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Laser for the Children 2!!! - May 12th - GAtech Downtown ATL

GAwes

Hidden Boss
Hey guys, i'll post all the rules and everything in the coming days. but for now, here's some basics

Signups begin at 9:30, tourney to start around 10:30ish

Teams first, then singles

10 bucks for singles
10 for teams a piece for teams

Half of the proceeds go to the Children's Miracle Network

here's the address, i tired, more info tomorrow maybe?

800 Fowler Street, Atlanta GA 30313

Setups would help if you can bring them, maybe you'll get a free doughnut or something ( i just made that up, but hey, i'll ask)

First Conduct must be addressed
"Please be respectful and considerate to others. Do not distract players, basically normal tournament conduct applies, and of course everything prohibited by law is prohibited in the tournament." -Chillin

Everyone knows that i rock at holding tournaments because i've held 8 smash aids and about 20 minor tournies. . . .

Money must be paid in advance for both tournaments. Entry Fee must be taken for Singles and teams at least 30 mins before they start. There will be no refunds once money is paid. No exceptions

Entrance Fee will be as follows

Singles - $10
Teams - $10 a piece
no refunds, no johns <3

Half the money goes to CHILDREN'S MIRACLE NETWORK

In Singles Money will be devided like this

1st - 60%
2nd - 25%
3rd - 15%

In Teams, money will be divided like this.

1st - 75%
2nd - 25%
3rd - Special Prize or Money Back (if 2nd place gets at least twice money back)

BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER
I can't stress this enough people, and this tournament is going to be very big, so you may not want to bring a wavebird, or if you do, make sure to bring another controller in case you start getting your channel stolen, because hitting pause or complaining about it during a match is really lame and will constitute you a loss, no exceptions

Both tournies are Double Elimination
Singles will have pools

*Singles Rules*

*Brackets*

-4 Stock
-Best 2 out of 3
-7 Min Time Limit
-ALL ITEMS ARE OFF

Characters - - - Stages

-Each player may ban one of the random or slob stages before the set begins

- No stage can be played twice in one set. The only exception being non-banned, non user banned random stages in a best of 5 set (this is only if the stage was first chosen by either the other player, or randomly, no picking the same stage twice by one player)

1st match - Any characters can be chosen, if any descrepancies arouse, double-blind character selection will be used

2nd match - Loser of First match must choose whether to choose to pick the stage the second match will be played on and pick character first, or force the winner of the first match to select character first and choose random or agreement on an allowed level.

3rd match ^Same Rules as second match

Slobs on Stages - - - If selected as method of slob

1st match - Must be random stage unless both persons agree to a stage that IS NOT BANNED

2nd match - After characters are selected, loser of 1st match selects a stage from either the random stage list or the slob/allowed stage list... IN NO CASE CAN A BANNED STAGE BE PLAYED

3rd match - same rules apply as in second match

*Levels*

Stages set as random :
- Final Destination
- Fountain of Dreams
- Pokemon Stadium
- Battlefield
- Yoshi's Story (Yoshi's Island)
--Kirby's Dreamland 64

Slob Stages / Available for Agreement :
-Final Destination
-Fountain of Dreams
-Battle Field
-Kirby's Dreamland 64
-Yoshi's Story (Yoshi's Island)
-Pokémon Stadium
-Peach's Castle
-Corneria
-Mute City
-Rainbow Cruise
-Green Greens
-Mushroom Kingdom II
- Mute City
-Pokefloats
-Kongo Jungle 64
-Brinstar
-Jungle Japes

*Banned Stages
-Icicle Mountain
-Great Bay
-Flat Zone
-Hyrule
-Mushroom Kingdom I
-Brinstar Depths
-Fourside
-Big Blue
-Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
-Onett
-Yoshi 64
-Kongo Jungle
-Venom

Teams Rules

-4 Stock
-Best 2 out of 3
-8 Min Time Limit
-ALL ITEMS ARE OFF
-Same rules in characters and levels apply to teams
Mute City and Fountain of Dreams are off due to lag.
-TEAM ATTACK IS ON

Finals in Both Catagories (this means winners finals, losers finals and both sets of finals if they last through that) will be best of 5 matches

LOOOK ATTTTT THIIIIISSSSS

1. The entry fee is going to stay as is. 10 for singles and 20 total for the team.
2. We will have pizza for $1 a slice. We have a soda machine that sells for 50 cents.
3. The building is the Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity house. We are across the street from the house that is being torn down. We are like right infront of them. http://www.rushphikap.com/images/house.jpg
Thats what the house looks like.
http://www.rushphikap.com/images/map.gif
Thast a map just around the house
4. Parking shouldnt be a problem. There is a parking deck that should be open and its only like two houses down from us.
5. For those of you who care to look this is the montage video from the first LFTC.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6980947&q=LFTC

I make a challenge for Children Money Matches. I highly encourage that people play MM's and the loser donates to the charity. OR be creative and play where the loser buys you 1 piece of pizza and donates 1 dollar to the kids. I really hope people get pumped for this tourny. I am really going to try to make it and it will be the best tourny I have run yet.

edit: wow you guys posted up on this thing fast. I just typing this up and talking to the guys at the house and you posted like 3 times.
PS gerbil you will be able to make it. I hope the building question is ansered for people.

The date is the 12th. I repeat the date in the 12th.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
holy **** first post

Lasers for the Children last year was amazing. I met Bobby, and I think Gerbil? and other people for the first time...

Is Co_and_me affiliated with this one at all?

I will see what I can do about coming to this beast.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Dammit. Second post!!!!!!!!!!

HELL YEAH I'll try to be here!!!!!! The first one in this *series* was my very first Smash tournament, I wouldn't miss an "anniversary" tournament for nothing! :D (unless I am broke)

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
Half the funds collected for entry fees will be given to charity, is what it sounds like.
I can't think of a better way for GA's smashers to reach out and help the community, in a way we can all have fun.
GPC will be there~

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Think of it as a miniature Smash Aid haha. It's for a good cause, and I think last time co and me raised a good bit of money for the charity. That address though.... is it the same building as last years? Cause I think I passed that area up last friday too, but I don't quite remember.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The first LFTC was too awesome. You had better believe that I'll be there.

CodeBlue

Smash Apprentice
The likelyhood of an RC coming is great. He would LOVE housing but doubts the likelyhood.
I can drive some(to and from) if you want to rest. It's the least I could do for all your taking me to these tourneys.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Last year I remember Mike G coming to Lasers day after Inn, and being extremely tired. And saying how Darkrain won, cause Darkrain is a beast :p

I also remember a power outtage that happened at Lasers, which was sorta run by Co_and_me, and then at Smash Aid one happened and I yelled out "Co_and_me!!!" haha good times

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Co and me blamed the outage at LFTC on his frat buddies haha, he went ranting about everyone needing to shut down whatever computers and stuff they could.

co_and_me

Smash Lord
Sooo I didnt even realize this tourny was posted. This would be LFTC 2 I have details to talk to Wes about and I will really get on this one for everyone. I left wes a message on aim and I am going to PM him. But all in all I dont like the set up we have for the fratenity house. I just felt really cramped and that we didnt have enough room I am sorry for that. But my plan was that Wes could talk to Gamers Experience (I think thats the LAN center he runs his tournies though) and that we could run it through them. I was planning on having it there because its a much better set up. I dont know if they would allow us to do it. I need to get in touch with wes. We wanted to have the tourny stuff right after finals week with was the 5th and the 6th. But thats when x2x is having his tourny. So I was thinking we would do it on the 13th at the LAN center. I am in Jax, FL because I have been very sick recently and had to leave school. I am not even sure if I would be at the tourny to help out. Our fraternities philanthropy chair asked me to host this tourny and I think its possible that, with Wes being a really good friend and willing to do it, this tourney could happen at GX. I will call him tomarrow.

About the tourny if it happens.
Yes 50 percent of the pot would be going to charity. The idea for the tourny is to help raise money for the Childrens Miracle Network of Atlanta. I realize this means payout isnt going to be something absolutly amazing. But this is about people who enjoy playing this game and hanging out getting together for a good cause. I would also add that the pot size doesnt matter unless you are planning on winning.

Last time I did this tourny it was the first tourny I had run and it didnt go as smooth as possible. This was due to a number of different factors and I belive this tourny would be alot smother. I would like to be able to actually make it up there and attend this thing. My plan would be to work with Wes to run the tourny. The set up with rules and everything would be very similar if not exactually like the tournies Wes has been holding. If Wes can manage to get this tourny held at GX then I would plan on doing seeding because of the number of set ups and its much more comfortable for a place to be at. If its at the fraternity house I would still like to do seeding, because I think its much more fair to the gamers, but I am unsure about how it would work out.
I personally didnt like the physical set up from the tourny last time. I felt like the tables being side ways made the place feel cramped and you couldnt move around them easily. If this is going to happen at the fraternity house I would think about moving the couches out and having the set ups on the out side of the wall. This might limit the number of set ups though and create possible glare problems but it would make it easier tomove around.

Long post short. I will get conformation of this but I belive the date will be the 13th, I am hoping to have it at GX, and I am hoping to be there.

eastheaven

Smash Ace
WTF Why does this have to be AFTER school is out!?!?
Yeah seriously guyz.
Well actually it's not so bad. I can ask my parents to drop me off at MARTA and then I can bus over to Tech. If it's still at tech, anyway. If it's at GX I have no idea how to get there(Wes).

Laijin

Smash Hero
Yeah seriously guyz.
Well actually it's not so bad. I can ask my parents to drop me off at MARTA and then I can bus over to Tech. If it's still at tech, anyway. If it's at GX I have no idea how to get there(Wes).
Yea. Seriously. If its at GX, thats gonna be very hard to get to. While GA Tech on the other hand is super convenient. The set-up was not that bad last year. Sure it was a little crowded, but it was still loads of fun and it was not that bad. I was really looking forward to Lasers since I was sure no matter what happened I was gonna be able to go. >__> Don't move it to GX plz.

Like my opinion matters.

±wì§+ë®

Smash Journeyman
Sooo I didnt even realize this tourny was posted. This would be LFTC 2 I have details to talk to Wes about and I will really get on this one for everyone. I left wes a message on aim and I am going to PM him. But all in all I dont like the set up we have for the fratenity house. I just felt really cramped and that we didnt have enough room I am sorry for that. But my plan was that Wes could talk to Gamers Experience (I think thats the LAN center he runs his tournies though) and that we could run it through them. I was planning on having it there because its a much better set up. I dont know if they would allow us to do it. I need to get in touch with wes. We wanted to have the tourny stuff right after finals week with was the 5th and the 6th. But thats when x2x is having his tourny. So I was thinking we would do it on the 13th at the LAN center. I am in Jax, FL because I have been very sick recently and had to leave school. I am not even sure if I would be at the tourny to help out. Our fraternities philanthropy chair asked me to host this tourny and I think its possible that, with Wes being a really good friend and willing to do it, this tourney could happen at GX. I will call him tomarrow.

About the tourny if it happens.
Yes 50 percent of the pot would be going to charity. The idea for the tourny is to help raise money for the Childrens Miracle Network of Atlanta. I realize this means payout isnt going to be something absolutly amazing. But this is about people who enjoy playing this game and hanging out getting together for a good cause. I would also add that the pot size doesnt matter unless you are planning on winning.

Last time I did this tourny it was the first tourny I had run and it didnt go as smooth as possible. This was due to a number of different factors and I belive this tourny would be alot smother. I would like to be able to actually make it up there and attend this thing. My plan would be to work with Wes to run the tourny. The set up with rules and everything would be very similar if not exactually like the tournies Wes has been holding. If Wes can manage to get this tourny held at GX then I would plan on doing seeding because of the number of set ups and its much more comfortable for a place to be at. If its at the fraternity house I would still like to do seeding, because I think its much more fair to the gamers, but I am unsure about how it would work out.
I personally didnt like the physical set up from the tourny last time. I felt like the tables being side ways made the place feel cramped and you couldnt move around them easily. If this is going to happen at the fraternity house I would think about moving the couches out and having the set ups on the out side of the wall. This might limit the number of set ups though and create possible glare problems but it would make it easier tomove around.

Long post short. I will get conformation of this but I belive the date will be the 13th, I am hoping to have it at GX, and I am hoping to be there.
Shouldn't be ultra difficult to get this done. The only thing that he usually requires in tourney requests is a 3-4 weeks notice. Plus, this is another Sunday tourney, and GX isn't open Sundays, so you'd have to talk him into that as well. Here's the number to GX (770-482-1411), but also, if it's still convenient, and no one minds the setup, maybe the setup isn't as bad as you think. Or could you rearrange some of the large furniture and put it into another room possibly. If it DOES happen at GX, it's not insanely hard to get to **glares @ Laijin** just take the 116, or 86 from Indian Creek and get off at Swift and Main St. before you get to Stonecrest Mall. Either way, as long as the tourney happens anywhere, it'd be cool to hang out with some smash ppls.

Edit: Someone play me this week, because I suck and am in dire need of exterminating my suckiness.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
NOOOOOOOooooooo. Lol i cant go. The military ball is that same day. Jessmine is takin me. Im gonna try and come may 5th.

GAwes

Hidden Boss
I think everyone is a little confused. Co and me meant Xplayground. And i do think its a bit late to host the tourney there, considering i won't be there, i have to work that sunday, and i'm going to formula D atlanta that saturday so either way i won't be at the tournament.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Shouldn't be ultra difficult to get this done. The only thing that he usually requires in tourney requests is a 3-4 weeks notice. Plus, this is another Sunday tourney, and GX isn't open Sundays, so you'd have to talk him into that as well. Here's the number to GX (770-482-1411), but also, if it's still convenient, and no one minds the setup, maybe the setup isn't as bad as you think. Or could you rearrange some of the large furniture and put it into another room possibly. If it DOES happen at GX, it's not insanely hard to get to **glares @ Laijin** just take the 116, or 86 from Indian Creek and get off at Swift and Main St. before you get to Stonecrest Mall. Either way, as long as the tourney happens anywhere, it'd be cool to hang out with some smash ppls.

Edit: Someone play me this week, because I suck and am in dire need of exterminating my suckiness.
I know how to get to GX from Marta. Co_and_me was referring to Xplaygrounds since he really has never been to GX before. So I doubt he will know about the set up there. The bus does'nt run down to Xplaygrounds, and if it did..it'd take HOURS to get there. You should just have it at GA Tech again. :o The set up really wasn't that bad..

±wì§+ë®

Smash Journeyman
I know how to get to GX from Marta. Co_and_me was referring to Xplaygrounds since he really has never been to GX before. So I doubt he will know about the set up there. The bus does'nt run down to Xplaygrounds, and if it did..it'd take HOURS to get there. You should just have it at GA Tech again. :o The set up really wasn't that bad..
Lol, awesome. I was wondering, "Wes holds tournies at GX?" Well, considering the fact that it might be late according to Wes, it might be too late, you could just compromise dude, just move **** around and work w/it.

co_and_me

Smash Lord
Wes is corrent I did mean Xplaygrounds. Sorry for the confusion everyone. Well its too bad that Wes isnt going to be there. From the sounds of things it looks like its going to be at the fraternity house.
Wes I need to know what software you have for brackets and all that.

The two questions I have for people that are potentially comming
1 who can bring set ups. Please let me know if you are bringing full set up or what part you will have.
2 its possible that we have have a big 5-5-5 deal from dominoes and sell pizza by the slice is this something people would be up for?

GAwes

Hidden Boss
The program i use is tournament maker 2.0, you can search smashboards and find it pretty easily i think, its really hard to find elsewhere. And 8 slices to a medium pizza, .75 cents a slice = 6 bucks a pizza which should cover tax, delivery fee, tip, and leave about 20 cent per pizza for the children of course =P (that is if you order 7 or more pizzas)

Top Bottom