• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Left 4 Dead Series (New DLC planned!)

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Oh really? Because it seems like, say if you were to have a Metroid thread that you would begin discussing Metroid Other M or the Metroid Prime Trilogy in it because, you know, it's part of the series. It just makes sense that this would be the "Left 4 Dead General" thread, including all spin-offs (ZombieKart) and sequels.

If you're still boycotting this game because Valve is releasing it too early and it seems like an update could have solved this, maybe you should actually take a look at that blog and become a little more informed about it.

And honestly, Left 4 Dead 2 is sounding better and better with each update being announced.
There was a Metroid general thread. It died. Apparently, the mods haven't taken notice, or threads like Other M would have been locked. Notice that the thread topic says "Left 4 Dead," Not "Left 4 Dead series." Remember the "Legend of Zelda series" thread before it got turned into a sub-forum? That was a general discussion thread because it was marked as such. See the Halo 3 thread? That isn't. There's a fine line between general and specific discussion, and this thread is on the latter side.

I dislike Left 4 Dead 2. Not for its release date, but for the story-driven nature and new characters they're trying to introduce. They sound brain-damaged, and I'd prefer to fill in the details myself, like I had to with the first game. And I keep up with the information well enough on my own, thank you.

Unless I get an overwhelming amount of requests to turn this into a general series discussion thread, this is staying strictly-Left 4 Dead. It's not open for debate.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Well I always thought of this as more of a general thread, though it really can wait until L4D2 comes out. Not a lot to discus and atm L4D2 stuff might end up leaking through to L4D.

Handorin

Smash Hero
There was a Metroid general thread. It died. Apparently, the mods haven't taken notice, or threads like Other M would have been locked. Notice that the thread topic says "Left 4 Dead," Not "Left 4 Dead series." Remember the "Legend of Zelda series" thread before it got turned into a sub-forum? That was a general discussion thread because it was marked as such. See the Halo 3 thread? That isn't. There's a fine line between general and specific discussion, and this thread is on the latter side.

I dislike Left 4 Dead 2. Not for its release date, but for the story-driven nature and new characters they're trying to introduce. They sound brain-damaged, and I'd prefer to fill in the details myself, like I had to with the first game. And I keep up with the information well enough on my own, thank you.

Unless I get an overwhelming amount of requests to turn this into a general series discussion thread, this is staying strictly-Left 4 Dead. It's not open for debate.
Well, back in the day when this thread was made, we didn't know there was going to be a l4d2. Now that there is, and there isn't a new name, it fits perfectly with this topic. It would be much easier to keep all the information in one topic, especially since a l4d1 topic would probably die. New games (usually) attract players, not old ones.

Was there a new update? I don't see where this is anymore story driven than the last. I don't recall them linking the maps. It seems odd, because the campaigns stretch from Savannah to New Orleans. That's realllly fay.
Also, remember how they are bridging the gap in l4d with a new map?

Puddin

Smash Lord
While we're on the topic of L4D 2 I'd like to make a note of the new Special Infected announced today. It's called the "Jockey" and it pounces on the back of of Survivors, sort of like a Hunter but in reverse, and takes control of their movement.

He's been confirmed for Versus, meaning wait for the survivors to be near a ledge, grab them with the Jockey, and say goodbye to one of your Survival multipliers. Or grabbing one of them and running him/her into the middle of the Spitters acid.

Handorin

Smash Hero
That's not a bad idea. I wonder how we are able to kill them.

I'm glad they are making things easier for infected. It's pretty impossible currently in the competitive scene.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Looking forward to playing L4d1 levels in L4d2. Gonna be fun to be a jockey at the start of Dead Air when they cross that plank at the start....mwehehehe

Handorin

Smash Hero
Looking forward to playing L4d1 levels in L4d2. Gonna be fun to be a jockey at the start of Dead Air when they cross that plank at the start....mwehehehe
Jockey and Smoker pull? Ogosh

What about the top of the hospital in No Mercy? Good luck.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I can just imagine jockeying right into a witch, or a boomer, or a molotov. I wonder what happens to the jockey when you go into fire or when the person you're controlling gets incapped, you probably just dry hump them on the floor for massive damage.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Serris' Custom Campaign Directory
Helping you get more for your money.

DeadCity *UPDATE!*
By ilcannibal

5/5 Maps (100% Complete):
  • RiverSide City
  • Back Alley
  • Draw Bridge
  • Water Plant
  • Subway Station
Modes Supported:
  • Campaign
  • Versus
  • Survival

DeadCity has been updated, bringing it to version 8.1. New map adjustments and VPK refinements are included in this release.

Also, if you haven't yet grabbed the updates for Death Aboard and Night Terror, I suggest you do so now.

Death Aboard *UPDATE!*
By Peter "Diputs" Hesse

• The Prison
  • The Prison Yard
  • The Docks
  • The Ship
  • The Lighthouse
Modes Supported:
  • Campaign
  • Versus
  • Survival

Night Terror *UPDATE!*
By Cc_NIPPER and Dr. Boo

• Blockade
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Moria
  • Jungle Ruins
  • Wake
Modes Supported:
  • Campaign

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is the "Jockey" some kind of new "Tank" thing or something?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351

Coal'd Blood *UPDATE!*
By Hunter McJesus

4/4 Maps (100% Complete):
  • The Steam Vent
  • The Crevasse
  • The Elevator
  • Cliff Rescue
Modes Supported:
  • Campaign
  • Versus

Two updates in one day. Goddamn.

Coal'd Blood has been updated to version 7.0, and is nearing completion. The maps no longer contain "orange" (or "dev") textures, and the finale has been altered. Give it a go, if you haven't, already.

Charizard92

Smash Champion

Yee-ikes!
When I saw that I thought "holy **** it's the Joker!"

Now I know what it is.

According to L4D wiki, the Jockey jumps on you, and attacks you with one hand and forces you to move with it's weight and other hand in another direction. Survivors can partially control this but control is limited.

In essence, it humps you, makes you move where it wants (and you have little control), while constantly beating on your head.

I'm pretty sure the Joker also uses this tactic when fighting. (It might as well say "why so serious"? , to stress that meme to a new height)

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351

Dead Echo *NEW!*
By Valar

4/5 Maps (80% Complete):
  • The Sewer
  • The Streets
  • The Supermarket
  • The Woods
Modes Supported:
  • Campaign
  • Versus

Dead Echo is a [soon-to-be] five-map campaign that takes place after Blood Harvest. It chronicles the Survivors' journey from the farmhouse to Evacuation Outpost Echo. While unfinished, the campaign is in a state of polish that rivals "complete" releases.

I'm not going to lie to you, however. This campaign isn't even supposed to be out, yet. Thanks to the author's testers using public lobbies while playing the campaign, a download link for the VPK was exposed, and people began to download it. The original URL for the download has been taken down. It's currently hosted on my FileFront account. If the author requests to have it taken down, I'll happily comply. For now, go ahead and download it.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Is Left 4 Dead's Crash Course Coming Sept. 23?

http://kotaku.com/5358347/is-left-4-deads-crash-course-coming-sept-23

"A Game With Fame announcement on Xbox Live offers the chance to play Left 4 Dead's Crash Course on Sept. 23. "Chance to play" doesn't necessarily mean "release date," but the DLC was promised in September.

Here's the announcement:

If you're an Xbox LIVE Gold Member (if not, upgrade now! ), and you want a chance to play the new Crash Course add-on for Left 4 Dead, send a friend request to the following Gamertag and be online half an hour before (5:30 P.M. Central Time) the Game with Fame session starts on Wednesday, September 23, at 6:00 P.M. CT.

• Paramore GWF"

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Thankfully I got L4D on the PC.

You know, with L4d2 coming out, I was wondering if Valve would make the original survivors playable. Possibly the least liked part about L4D2 is the loss of our favorite 4, so why not bring them back (obviously this won't be canon, but anything to get back our favorites). It would also be awesome if they allowed you to play with any combination of survivors, but that is more of a dream.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Imo, expecting that in Left4dead 5 where you can have a survivor from each previous game XD

Red Exodus

Smash Master
What's so different about L4D2 compared to L4D that would warrant a ban? That's just messed up.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
At least that won't stop Steam users such as myself right?

Also, yes Handorin.

Mic and I will play L4D2 in international waters.

EDIT: Steam won't save us either.

Puddin

Smash Lord
It's banned because OH BLACK ZOMBIE, HOW DARE VALVE, WE SHALL NOT SOIL AUSTRALIA'S AMAZING VIDEO GAME REPUTATION WITH AMERICAN DEVELOPER'S RACIST FILTH.

Also, Valve is still looking in to L4D/L4D2 immersion. Hell they've even mentioned POSSIBLY, but highly unlikely, that the 360 version could have editing tools.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
There were rumours that it was because of the adrenaline (AKA a drug), but when the OFLC document came out, it all came down to the game just being extremely violent. A large part of it is the Melee weapons, and just the graphic nature of dismemberment, etc.

Part of the board thinks it's okay, but the majority don't. I think it would only take a bit of effort from EA and Valve to censor the game a tad and it'd be okay.

It's the whole 'It'd be okay as a movie, but not as a game' schtick.

We'd heard stories that there were mysterious "adrenaline shots" thrown into the mix, with many gamers suspecting this would take the game to the 'dark side' by featuring drug use as a way to advance.

However, according to the Classification Board's report, it's much more simple than that - the game's just straight-up more violent, this time around.

Item 1(d) of the computer games table of the National Classification Code states that:
"1. Computer games that:
(d) are unsuitable for a minor to see or play;" will be Refused Classification in this country.

You guessed it, the high level of "realistic, frenetic and unrelenting violence" featured in Left 4 Dead 2 means that the shooter is "unsuitable for persons under 18 years to play", so - due to our lack of an adult R18+ rating - the Board has no choice but to effectively ban the game for all Australians.

The Board's report states that:
The player can choose from a variety of weapons including pistols, shotguns, machine guns and sniper rifles. However, it is the use of the "melee" weapons such as the crowbar, axe, chainsaw and Samurai sword which inflict the most damage. These close in attacks cause copious amounts of blood spray and splatter, decapitations and limb dismemberment as well as locational damage where contact is made to the enemy which may reveal skeletal bits and gore. Projectile shots to infected humans can cause abdominal wounds which can reveal innards or even cause intestines to spill from the wounds.

Looking at the report, it's this messy ultraviolence that seems to have upset them so much. The report goes on to explain that players choosing to use a melee weapon will be able to wipe out several Infected "in one blow", causing a pretty graphic display of blood and gore. The Board also observed that after playing for a little while, the player kills a "very large amount" of enemy characters, which then litter the environment - and while no post-mortem damage can be inflicted (another big no-no for the Board), it's all a bit unpleasant, really.

In conclusion, it comes back to one of our favourite arguments - it'd probably be okay if it was a film.

The interactive nature of the game increases the overall impact of the frequent and intense depictions of violence. This coupled with the graphic depictions of blood and gore combine to create a playing impact which is high.

At this point, local distributors EA have stated they "are still working through the submission process with OFLC and want to explore all opportunities before making any comment."

One of those opportunities could be hinted at within the report, where a minority of the Board holds the opinion that the violence featured in Left 4 Dead 2 is merely "strong" in playing impact. If the rest of the Board could be convinced of this, that would be enough to earn it an MA15+ classification with the consumer advice of "strong violence".

At this point though, other than a potential appeal and some appropriate grovelling from Valve and EA, the future looks pretty grim for L4D2, unless we're doomed to get an amazingly castrated version with all the good bits taken out. Removing blood spatter is one thing, and a relatively simple artistic tweak - but taking out what is, essentially, the point of the game? That's a little trickier to pull off.

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2787007

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
At least that won't stop Steam users such as myself right?

Also, yes Handorin.

Mic and I will play L4D2 in international waters.

EDIT: Steam won't save us either.
I want to know, can I import a US copy and add it to my Aus steam page.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Actually, reading that Vyse, I'm not even sure if my laptop would be able to take it >.< Intestine coming out. Cooool

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Hopefully my PC will (and if it doesn't, hopefully a better graphics card will).

I was actually somewhat surprised that Australia banned L4D2 (I mean I can expect it in some European countries, but you typically don't associate Australia with that).

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
On the flip-side, we don't have an R18+ rating.

For a while, Silent Hill 5 and Resident Evil 5 weren't going to be released here either, but they eventually came around.

Ladybug

Smash Lord
On the flip-side, we don't have an R18+ rating.

For a while, Silent Hill 5 and Resident Evil 5 weren't going to be released here either, but they eventually came around.
We're they censored?

So you guys only go up to R15+? That's... Not very fair to the older gamers who deserve better violence.

That sucks guys. :( I was going to jump on the bandwaggon of sending y'all an American copy.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Won't work.

German TF2 players have tried that, but when they install their US copy, it still gets majorly censored. (Germany is big on censoring games).
Wait what? I know this is a bit off topic, but what, exactly, is there to actually censor in Team Fortress 2? There's no dismemberment, hardly any gore, and the characters aren't running around mentioning the Holocaust. So what? Do they find the Medic offensive or something? Crazy *******s.

Top Bottom