• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light House Game Nights - Sunday is Race night!

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
What I'm saying is the method works.

What we have to go through is a period of trial and error.

And besides, I think letting people just go play any game they feel so long as there's a number of LH users is a cop out to letting people earn the postbits even sooner

And now I get ninja'd by CK in the process. Since I fathered part of this scheme, I feel I should say something on it, is all.

You're free to do what you want, though. If you're going to do something like that, might I suggest you increase the number of Game Nights a person must attend to gain the postbits. Also, I think the Host bit was ****ing stupid and a waste of space.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer

And besides, I think letting people just go play any game they feel so long as there's a number of LH users is a cop out to letting people earn the postbits even sooner
Which is why I say we try it. As for the "earning it" bit, I think scheduling rules like what I said would work, and increasing night counts per pb would be good.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I don't see how much more strict you can get beyond extended the number of Game Nights one should attend.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Alright, then I'll start off just to try. Just trying it is better than continuously discussing about it as it will get us nowhere for weeks.

ZIO, CK, and I should call out on which games we'd play. Is that fine?

If so, I'll be hosting a brawl night tomorrow.
ZIO and CK will choose something else.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Look.

I'm just shooting things out. I don't really find myself active enough to really be part of the events, nor the set-up of them.

I was only trying to help. Like I said, you're free to do what you want.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Someone said they wre afraid it would devalue postbits. I think We should work on a way to award them in a manner that is conducive to good awards.

I also hated the old system. It was cool having "PC game nights" or whatever, but most of the time it would be very scattered. I like the idea of people saying tomorrow "Hey, I want a game on Wednesday of _____" there' sno game called blank.

I typed this with very few errors. Suck it.
There's a lot of things I like about this too.

Rather than just having one night dedicated to "PC night", you can still have a group/gaggle of people still branch off and do a different game.

If I'm understanding this correctly?

Also, I'm enjoying my subscription so far.

And now I get ninja'd by CK in the process. Since I fathered part of this scheme, I feel I should say something on it, is all.

You're free to do what you want, though. If you're going to do something like that, might I suggest you increase the number of Game Nights a person must attend to gain the postbits. Also, I think the Host bit was ****ing stupid and a waste of space.
I agree with trail and error. You won't know what works until you try it.

As UltiMario said, looking at the schedule as seeing "Tonight is X" was helpful, but also having that in thread title. Is it possible/likely that we will still see that implemented? While I'm not saying you should only do that to cater to me, I'd imagine I'm not the only one who only checks the thread title rather than the thread at times to see what's going on in the schedule. Just a thought.

I would prefer less postbits and stricter requirements to get them.
I see where you're coming from with this; Less of a handout.

I don't see how much more strict you can get beyond extended the number of Game Nights one should attend.
Maybe along the lines of suggestion, involvement, tournament setup, bringing a new game obsession to the group.

Honestly, I'm just kinda rambling ideas off the top of my head.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Since the alcohol is wearing off, I can be more cognizant. (HAHAHHAHA wow)

My general idea is maybe fewer nights (ie not a game every night), but we have a sign up list in advanced. I know for me, the shooter nights were the worst possible times for me, and having something every night diminishes the special nature of these events. So tomorrow is Sunday. Can we attempt to create a game list for the next week?

I play mostly PC games, so I will try to get a bunch of free games for everyone. Also, instead of making it so every game gets you credit to a postbit, how about if only sign up games do, but we keep the same general structure?

So if Mondays are always PC games, then it stays PC games, but you don't get any particular postbits. I am really just spitballing here.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Sunday is always race night it's been there before this thread existed :)
Just making sure it doesn't get moved.

Morin0

Smash Lord
So are you running Light House Game Nights now, Crimson King? I was wondering if I could run it as well. Kind of what like F8AL and Tery did but if you got it all under control, then that's fine too.

EDIT: I agree that there's no need for the host postbit.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
So are you running Light House Game Nights now, Crimson King? I was wondering if I could run it as well. Kind of what like F8AL and Tery did but if you got it all under control, then that's fine too.

EDIT: I agree that there's no need for the host postbit.
I am perfectly fine with this. This isn't my project; it's the Light House's.

I was about to say was that drunk talk? O_O

Though I said "Ah heck, drop it..."
I drank a lot very fast and mixed liquors. Don't do any of that. Fortunately, I sober fast and easily.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Sometimes I'm unaware game nights are happening until it says "Today is X Night!" and I'm like "Oh **** I should do that"

Signing up would not work for me.

Just use F8AL's system. It's easy enough. Just need someone that's familiar with it to run it.
Would you be fine with the system if the title was updated with suggested games daily?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
If there is a game every night, then what makes it special at all?
I agree. It became almost a hassle for me to post here every night and try to keep up with all the different game nights. Tery and I both stopped posting here for the most part, the two of us and Bio just started playing whenever we wanted with one another.

If the game nights were less frequent, I think we'd have more people willing to actually take the time to participate in each one - or most of them, anyways. They'd be more of a get-together and less of a chore. Imo.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Exactly. People are allowed to play every single night, if they so choose, but I don't think awarding post bits for playing 50 games is that special when that can, realistically, be accomplished in a little over a month.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
The only way I can see a game every night working is if we do the scheduling idea. That way, there will be both a variety and a limited number of slots for each game, making it a bit more special.

BSP

Smash Legend
So CK is running this now right?

If you're thinking of reform, I think I already saw this idea given, but pre-planned nights work pretty well. Before MK7 came out, we always had a race night on Sunday over in the MKW thread, and it was always intense and we had a lot of people show.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I thought this was just to encourage smashers to play different games together.

The idea of 3/4 videogame genre's that people can play together (sorry about wording here, notsurehowtoword) per week is a great idea. Not too much, and everyone can still play games together at a somewhat often rate. It would also encourage people that really wanted postbits to play in all of the genre's instead of just their own specific one.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
As it seemed to me, having game nights several times a week did the opposite of motivate people who wanted postbits to play games outside of their genre considering they could get more than enough points playing a single game. With tf2 alone, I was able to get plenty of points by participating on shooter nights, pc nights, and free nights. I wanted to play other games frequently, but nobody seemed interested to stray from the same few games.

I hope I read your post correctly

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I thought that was because we had 6 nights with games going on (some with multiple genre's) and repeating genre's within one week. If we had a schedule like this:

Tuesday is Shooter night.
Thursday is Racing night.
Saturday is Fighter night.

Monday is PC night.
Wednesday is Fighter night.
Friday is Shooter night.
Sunday is Racing night.

It would encourage people to play in different genre's more than

Monday is PC night
Tuesday is Freeplay night
Friday is PC and Fighter night
Sunday is racing night

Where TF2 and that touhou fighter (Hisoutensoku?) Fit in 3/4 within one week instead of 3 within two weeks (they're both games that can fit into the schedule very easily, fitting into two genre's at once.)

Edit: another reason why so many people didn't play out of their genre (besides just not wanting to) is because of the fact that F8AL has been catering to what people have wanted to too much of an extreme. If it were to be a consistent schedule, then as I see it, eventually, people would start wanting to play different types of games because they'd have to play for more than a year to get the gold post bit and nearly 5 months to get the 20-game one, assuming they're playing TF2, Hisoutensoku, or some fighter/shooter/racer that is also considered a PC game.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think the genres other than shooter are F'd up. The majority of online play comes from PC games, which made PC nights basically free play nights, while PC nights were originated because people played a lot of LoL, DotA, SC2, Portal 2 and there was no other category for them. Basically the nightly categories went from super specific to super vague (OMGPOP night to Free play).

I think a system could be figured out with a set weekly schedule, such as:

Monday: PC free play
Tuesday: Shooter
Wednesday: Xbox free play
Thursday: RTS/MOBO
Friday: Wii Free play
Saturday: Free Play
Sunday: PS3 Free Play

I think if there is an overlap in genre, it should be decided which genre's night it would count for in order to maintain equality. For example, SMNC is both a shooter and a MOBO so someone would have to say "ok this is more of a MOBO" or "this is more of a shooter" and it would only count on those things.

I think Saturday should be a free play day. Most of us are off of school and if we had a busy week everyone should get a chance to catch up on missed points. There is nothing worse than working ur *** off all week and then seeing OMGPOP saturday and fighters sunday.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Setting free play to specific systems is the WORST idea.

That's not encouraging people to try different things at all. That's basically limiting people from participating.

The extreme amount of free play also completely ruins the whole post bit thing and it becomes more of a "whoever has each system" instead of "whoever is the most willing to play games with people," which is how I always thought of it.

(this is all without knowing what RTS/MOBO is, though.)

Saturdays are also the most common day for smash tournaments, and social lives get in the way most during saturdays imo. This IS a smash brothers site, after all.

The can see why you'd feel that way about racer nights, but fighter nights aren't F'd up in the least. This is a fighting game community, therefore we play a lot of fighting games, especially since brawl counts as one during the specific gaming night. Racer night could easily be replaced with something else, although I have no idea what it could be replaced with at the moment.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Actually, I take back what I said about race night. There are a lot of people here that play mario kart competitively and online here, and there are other racing games that can be played online (such as blur), which is basically the same reasoning used for keeping fighter nights.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
From all the events that have ever been presented...

Free
Shooter
PC
Racer

These have been the more popular events compared to the others we've had. Fighter also comes to mind but it hasn't been as active as those 4.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I can play SMNC for 3 of those 4, so idc
This is why I don't think freeplay is a good idea for more than once per month and why I'd support the schedule I posted above.

There are very few games that fit within 3/4 of a genre, and for people that play those games, it just becomes "Oh I can play this 3/4ths of the time, so I don't really need to expand my gaming at all" versus "Oh this is only 2/4ths or 1/3rds of the events going on this week, I need to expand my genre in order to reach gold anytime soon!"

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i don't own much games

so i might see what ppl play a lot before purchasing them

i don't mind expanding my genre since i only really play fighting games

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Why not just do 4 times a week, Shooter/racer/PC for 3 of them, then a rotation of like Fighter/Pokemon/Tetris/OMGPOP/Nusty Boltsy and whatever else for the 4th night.

Honestly I'm no fan of making the postbits any harder to get, since I'm only like 3 game nights away from getting the best postbit on the forum lol.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i would also like to see more sports games along with that 4th night

i wanna play fifa with swf lol

yani

Smash Lord
If there is a game every night, then what makes it special at all?
It doesn't need to be special. I see it as bringing the community together, making new pals to play with etc

People are allowed to play every single night, if they so choose, but I don't think awarding post bits for playing 50 games is that special when that can, realistically, be accomplished in a little over a month.
That's what's great about it. If I don't like what genre is chosen on Monday, I can jump in on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thurs etc. If I can't make the one or two set days that are decided on in the future, I'm out for that week.

As for post bits, I don't see a problem with awarding someone for being a frequent participant. If someone plays game night 50 games (especially in a row) they've definitely earned it in my eyes. It's a neat little way to keep people participating in game nights.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah i agree. Its not about being hard or playing every type of game. Honestly, I don't have the money to buy every type of game and I don't like every type of game. It isn't because i'm unwilling to try it, its because i have tastes. This should be about bringing the community together in games they like to play other than smash, not rewarding people for liking every type of game (though neither should it be discouraging that).

Personally, I have played with a small number of people in the time that i've been playing these, mostly in Portal 2 and recently DotA2 and SMNC. In that time I have gained friends that I would not have had otherwise. I would hate for this to be ruined in favor of the mass gaming style of participants.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I agree with yani and Sveet, 100%.

It's not necessarily about the postbits, they're just a nice bonus. LH game nights were originally all about creating a gaming community where we could all be involved in games that weren't Smash, if we chose to do so. Getting to know people and playing with each other with people who were passionate about the same games that I enjoy was always the big draw for me.

I don't know, I just don't see any reason to change the way we do it. But that's just imo.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I wouldn't mind a change, because I think there were things in the old system that could be improved upon, but we should keep the spirit alive.

god im such a hippie...

Top Bottom