• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light House Game Nights - Sunday is Race night!

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
True. Post bits are good and nice to have but I wouldn't have had new challenges and met different people to play with and or against if I didn't participate in these events.

D

Deleted member

100 and 250
That seems a tad bats*** insane. I can't see people playing every game night for the better part of a year, assuming three nights can be considered a weekly average.

As for when we start: Anyone who wants to host official games should create a sign up by Friday. I'll update the OP with the sign ups. For next week, I want 3 gaming nights to start off. Feel free to play on the other nights, but only sign up ones count towards postbits. I think this will maximize people's abilities to try new games; you have a lot fewer opportunities to earn credit, so you have to step out of your comfort zone.
Sveet mentioned that he wants a Dota 2 night next week in its thread. I'll let him take care of the specifics.

yani

Smash Lord
For someone who only has the very first post bit, it seems like you care far too much about this game night thing.

If these postbits are the only reason that you're coming in here, then you're coming in here for the wrong reasons. Game nights are meant to encourage having fun with other members, and the rest of the board is for discussion of games in general. If you're not here for either of those, then I see no reason why you should even be participating in game nights, to be perfectly honest.
I started up about a month ago playing in the Mario Kart tournaments, then due to a family tragedy stopped. Haven't decided to start up playing video games frequently yet, doesn't mean I don't enjoy the whole concept.

Not going to lie, the postbits caught my attention, wouldn't doubt a lot of people liked it as well. You find new people to play games with and what do you know? You're now a frequent participant of the LH.

For whatever reason, this died for a short period. Normally, when you see "Under New Management" it would generally mean hype, as in the new manager will want to try and make this better then it already was. This is not the case here. Limited events, removing postbits, and sign ups? Seems like more of a chore if you ask me..

I've never seen anyone say "postbits are stupid, take them away!" (save SWF staff if you will)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah were ironing out the details in the dota2 thread for the best date to maximize attendance.

ill do a write up of a system in detail since nobody else is. Even if there is disagreement it will be a starting point for edits

:phone:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
For someone who only has the very first post bit, it seems like you care far too much about this game night thing.

If these postbits are the only reason that you're coming in here, then you're coming in here for the wrong reasons. Game nights are meant to encourage having fun with other members, and the rest of the board is for discussion of games in general. If you're not here for either of those, then I see no reason why you should even be participating in game nights, to be perfectly ohonest.
This. Postbits don't mean anything.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yeah were ironing out the details in the dota2 thread for the best date to maximize attendance.

ill do a write up of a system in detail since nobody else is. Even if there is disagreement it will be a starting point for edits

:phone:
For things like this, try to solidify a consistent day so when it comes to DOTA2 night it's a big deal.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I'll do the brawls. I'll mostly do the brawls actually.

Also, are there any chances for the LH tournaments to reopen?

This is taking forever, but I'm still working on it. I'm on post 1641 on the thread and the list is over 100 people long. I won't be done by today.
Talk about being slow. Go to usercp and change the #ppp to 40ppp (posts per page) so you can save time.

D

Deleted member

or something really high
reading can be hard

edit: new page >_>
I mean you could set them at 90 and 140 (so each next postbit takes 10 more), really it's just that soem people already reached 50 so I'd be nice if thre's something after, it's not like this is only gonna be going for a short time

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
For whatever reason, this died for a short period. Normally, when you see "Under New Management" it would generally mean hype, as in the new manager will want to try and make this better then it already was. This is not the case here. Limited events, removing postbits, and sign ups? Seems like more of a chore if you ask me..
Okay, so this is "Under New Management", but do you know why? Because the project was to be discontinued and closed. F8AL dropped all support of this project, and now Crimson King is trying to work with you people - the Light House community - to bring it back. That in and of itself is already an improvement from what this thread would have become: nothing and empty. If you don't like the changes being made to the project, if you think participating in the new Game Nights is going to be "a chore", you are free to leave - nobody is forcing you to stay around and participate.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I started up about a month ago playing in the Mario Kart tournaments, then due to a family tragedy stopped. Haven't decided to start up playing video games frequently yet, doesn't mean I don't enjoy the whole concept.

Not going to lie, the postbits caught my attention, wouldn't doubt a lot of people liked it as well. You find new people to play games with and what do you know? You're now a frequent participant of the LH.

I've never seen anyone say "postbits are stupid, take them away!" (save SWF staff if you will)
It died because F8AL closed it. When CK took over, he labeled the thread as "under new management." Does this mean that he'll make it better in every way you want? No. It means that he's the new manager, and you'll have to put up with any changes that he makes, like it or not. However, I really do think CK wants to improve this project, and any changes he makes will very likely be made with good intentions.

If you think it'll be a chore, then fine. You don't have participate; this is voluntary, after all. You'll just be missing out on the fun.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
OK Im really upset at some of the mentalities that are flowing through this thread right now.

For one, POSTBITS DO MATTER. Whether they matter to you or not is another issue, but the post bits serve a few purposes. One is advertisement; someone sees the postbit and asks or looks it up, finds the lighthouse and plays games in order to earn them. Another good reason for postbits is that they are incentive to keep playing. I play video games every day, but when its PC night I go out of my way to play portal 2 with Kal in order to get my points. It gives incentive for people to participate. Without that incentive I probably wouldn't have looked at this thread twice.

Another thing that is going around this thread is that the postbits should be much harder to get. As part of a research paper I did in high school, I read an article about why World of Warcraft is so addicting. The answer is frequent rewards. By rewarding players often, those players are more likely to maintain interest. I'm surprised there are so many people that participate as is, given that the 5 point award takes at least a week to earn. If you removed the lower postbits and only have the higher ones, nobody will play and this will crash and burn.

With those two things in mind, I think the best strategy is to devise a more robust postbit system. There should be post bits frequently at the lower point range and the gap should increase with scale. Also, there should be special postbits. For example a post bit for participating 15 times in a month or a weekly MVP postbit award. Things like this make people excited to participate.

I spent way too much time on this, I have 3 computer science projects, 2 midterms and a 1000word essay to do in the next 48 hours. I need to stay off smashboards.......

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I agree with Sveet.

/my two cents

Also, I don't see why we can't carry on from our last postbit. Those postbits are existing records that we have played at least that many game nights. There's no need to make Seph dig through the thread for data. Plus, I know that people would PM F8AL, so some may not even be listed in the thread, just saying.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Okay, I'm skimming most of sentences to make a more meaningful response.

For one, POSTBITS DO MATTER.

I don't think so. Whether it's postbits or not, the LH is still going to be fun. On the positive side, it should be kept on because it's an achievement that you can get. Like a challenge.

Another thing that is going around this thread is that the postbits should be much harder to get.

This.

With those two things in mind, I think the best strategy is to devise a more robust postbit system.

How does that work?

Also, there should be special postbits. For example a post bit for participating 15 times in a month or a weekly MVP postbit award. Things like this make people excited to participate.

No. If we do that, then the rest of postbits should be out of here. Only this one will be left. Just like the Dgame's postbits.
Response in white.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
OK Im really upset at some of the mentalities that are flowing through this thread right now.

For one, POSTBITS DO MATTER. Whether they matter to you or not is another issue, but the post bits serve a few purposes. One is advertisement; someone sees the postbit and asks or looks it up, finds the lighthouse and plays games in order to earn them. Another good reason for postbits is that they are incentive to keep playing. I play video games every day, but when its PC night I go out of my way to play portal 2 with Kal in order to get my points. It gives incentive for people to participate. Without that incentive I probably wouldn't have looked at this thread twice.

Another thing that is going around this thread is that the postbits should be much harder to get. As part of a research paper I did in high school, I read an article about why World of Warcraft is so addicting. The answer is frequent rewards. By rewarding players often, those players are more likely to maintain interest. I'm surprised there are so many people that participate as is, given that the 5 point award takes at least a week to earn. If you removed the lower postbits and only have the higher ones, nobody will play and this will crash and burn.

With those two things in mind, I think the best strategy is to devise a more robust postbit system. There should be post bits frequently at the lower point range and the gap should increase with scale. Also, there should be special postbits. For example a post bit for participating 15 times in a month or a weekly MVP postbit award. Things like this make people excited to participate.

I spent way too much time on this, I have 3 computer science projects, 2 midterms and a 1000word essay to do in the next 48 hours. I need to stay off smashboards.......
You take postbits WAY too seriously.

I work a 40-hour job, live alone for now, and I still wouldn't have the time to devise anything like what you suggested. If that is the only way you'll have interest, I'm stepping down from this.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Seph offered and i would be more than happy to accept more than just 5 points (seeing as i'd basically "lose" 5 months of "work").

@Vinyl, if the postbits don't matter, why are you here? You can play your games without ever posting about them in the game night thread. I agree that this should be about fun, but isn't playing games to earn random stuff fun? I mean, its just pixels on a screen, what harm can it do to give it out to someone?

@Crimson King, If you want, i'll step up to help manage this. I don't really think it'd take much more time than i already give to the boards.

D

Deleted member

You can play your games without ever posting about them in the game night thread.
yeah becasue trying to set up a game with anyone on this site is sooooooooooooo easy for me

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
@Vinyl, if the postbits don't matter, why are you here? You can play your games without ever posting about them in the game night thread. I agree that this should be about fun, but isn't playing games to earn random stuff fun? I mean, its just pixels on a screen, what harm can it do to give it out to someone?
You gave out a good point about the postbits, but the game nights still stands out as a thread for a bunch of people to interact and play each other in every game possible.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
PM when to hand out postbits, but no more will be created and the host one is scapped.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Alright, so that's that!

Here's the summary:
Awarding the host postbits is no more.

25 and 50 stays.

Anyone who wants to host official games should create a sign up by Friday.

Sveet'll update the OP with the sign ups.

CK wants 3 gaming nights to start off.

There are fewer opportunities to earn credit, so we all have to step out of our comfort zones.
This is it. Any objections?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Thank you Crimson!

For the moment everything will work as it did when F8AL was in charge:

Thursday, March 8th will be shooter night.

Friday, March 9th will be a PC night.

Saturday, March 10th will be a free-play night.

Sunday, March 11th will be race night and fighter night.
All points earned in this transition period will add to your total like normal. I have no intentions of modifying the system drastically, but I will be formalizing plans to the system over the weekend.

yani

Smash Lord
Okay, so this is "Under New Management", but do you know why? Because the project was to be discontinued and closed. F8AL dropped all support of this project, and now Crimson King is trying to work with you people - the Light House community - to bring it back. That in and of itself is already an improvement from what this thread would have become: nothing and empty. If you don't like the changes being made to the project, if you think participating in the new Game Nights is going to be "a chore", you are free to leave - nobody is forcing you to stay around and participate.
I understand the fact that it was great for CK to want to keep it alive, but he's going about it wrong. It isn't an improvement when everyone for the most part here has suggested "start from last postbit" and "postbits are cool" while he's saying "removing postbits", "making them harder to get" and "postbits don't mean anything". Why bother if you're going to ruin it? I understand he has a life and probably has better things to do then to hand out postbits and manage games played etc, so don't take the job. Leave it to someone who has the time and wants to keep it the way it was.. (which pretty much has been decided on now :))

It died because F8AL closed it. When CK took over, he labeled the thread as "under new management." Does this mean that he'll make it better in every way you want? No. It means that he's the new manager, and you'll have to put up with any changes that he makes, like it or not. However, I really do think CK wants to improve this project, and any changes he makes will very likely be made with good intentions.
I didn't say every way I want. Most people have agreed on "start from last postbit" and he was insisting to get rid of them. It was a nice little thing to say you're part of the LH, and there's no need to rid that, as well as change the whole way this was running. Good intentions? More like laziness imo. Sorry.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Oh, congrats Sveet for taking this over. Hope you put in the same great effort as F8AL did; I'm glad you decided to take this over. No offense to CK (I have a lot of respect for him, honestly), but he sort of gave off this "Meh...." attitude, and I don't think this would of survived very long with that, I thank him for at least attempting though, that shows character. #True Tea

So, is this going to go like F8AL did it, or will things be changed/rearranged?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I understand the fact that it was great for CK to want to keep it alive, but he's going about it wrong. It isn't an improvement when everyone for the most part here has suggested "start from last postbit" and "postbits are cool" while he's saying "removing postbits", "making them harder to get" and "postbits don't mean anything". Why bother if you're going to ruin it? I understand he has a life and probably has better things to do then to hand out postbits and manage games played etc, so don't take the job. Leave it to someone who has the time and wants to keep it the way it was.. (which pretty much has been decided on now :))

I didn't say every way I want. Most people have agreed on "start from last postbit" and he was insisting to get rid of them. It was a nice little thing to say you're part of the LH, and there's no need to rid that, as well as change the whole way this was running. Good intentions? More like laziness imo. Sorry.
Next time I'll leave things closed.

This is why you people can't have nice things.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Oh, congrats Sveet for taking this over. Hope you put in the same great effort as F8AL did; I'm glad you decided to take this over. No offense to CK (I have a lot of respect for him, honestly), but he sort of gave off this "Meh...." attitude, and I don't think this would of survived very long with that, I thank him for at least attempting though, that shows character. #True Tea

So, is this going to go like F8AL did it, or will things be changed/rearranged?
Thank you sir. I'm very thankful to CK as well; he could have left this in the graveyard but he recognized that people liked it and wanted to give it another chance. He is obviously a busy guy and I don't think his intention was to ever run it himself. In that regard, I'm glad to step up and help keep this running. I had the feeling F8AL was hurting for time as well, and I hope I don't fall to the same problem. In any case, I will do my best to make this project the best it can be!

As for how it will work under my regime... I can't say at this moment. I have a few ideas for improvement that I have vocalized in this thread already, but none of them were fleshed out in detail. This week is my midterms week while next week is my spring break; I will be looking at improvements to the system over the weekend in order to introduce next week.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Crimson King was the one who decided to take the idea onto his own hands and try and fix the Game Nights. Before he did, I didn't see anyone try and do that, and it took Crimson King's attempt at remanagament for others to step up and voice that they'd be willing to help out with the project. Before that? Nobody else did, so you're just going to play critic and complain about how he goes about it? Crimson King is not a "replacement" for F8AL in running this project. Different people have different methods and styles of managing projects, including how they view the community's input. Quit being inconsiderate and actually look at the entire scenario.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Okay, there's bad news: I'm not allowed to add any more post bits to this thing, and we really cannot be giving them out like they were.

For most contests, only winners get them. Therefore, the 1 game one is deleted, as was the host. Since the five game one is also entirely too low, that one is deleted too, but I will give you time to record who has a 5 one before I remove that one. I apologize for this change.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Okay, there's bad news: I'm not allowed to add any more post bits to this thing, and we really cannot be giving them out like they were.

For most contests, only winners get them. Therefore, the 1 game one is deleted, as was the host. Since the five game one is also entirely too low, that one is deleted too, but I will give you time to record who has a 5 one before I remove that one. I apologize for this change.
Honestly that seems like a good idea to me; postbits aren't instantaneous. ;)

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I agree. They aren't that important.

So as long as we got 25 and 50, this is going to be very worthwhile when I'll be doing brawl nights.

yani

Smash Lord
Crimson King was the one who decided to take the idea onto his own hands and try and fix the Game Nights. Before he did, I didn't see anyone try and do that, and it took Crimson King's attempt at remanagament for others to step up and voice that they'd be willing to help out with the project. Before that? Nobody else did, so you're just going to play critic and complain about how he goes about it? Crimson King is not a "replacement" for F8AL in running this project. Different people have different methods and styles of managing projects, including how they view the community's input. Quit being inconsiderate and actually look at the entire scenario.
Please show me where people have complained about/asked for Game Nights to be fixed. CK is such a hero for limiting game nights and creating sign ups :rolleyes:. Bottom line is don't fix what isn't broken. All he had to do was simply continue it and add a few twists, not limit it.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Please show me where people have complained about/asked for Game Nights to be fixed. CK is such a hero for limiting game nights and creating sign ups :rolleyes:. Bottom line is don't fix what isn't broken. All he had to do was simply continue it and add a few twists, not limit it.
Please show me where people have stepped up to take action in this thread prior to Crimson King's choice of changes. I am not regarding Crimson King a "hero", I am correcting your point of view by showing you that if not for Crimson King's choice to revive this thread, there would be no continuation, regardless of whether the standards would fall under your expectations. But it appears to me you believe your view is perfect and trying to discuss this with you further is just another reminder of why hosting projects for something like a community of gamers is so difficult.

yani

Smash Lord
Please show me where people have stepped up to take action in this thread prior to Crimson King's choice of changes. I am not regarding Crimson King a "hero", I am correcting your point of view by showing you that if not for Crimson King's choice to revive this thread, there would be no continuation, regardless of whether the standards would fall under your expectations. But it appears to me you believe your view is perfect and trying to discuss this with you further is just another reminder of why hosting projects for something like a community of gamers is so difficult.
I don't know the story behind why it was even dropped, so I can't give you an answer to be honest. But it would be safe to assume a staff member would have to do it to award postbits and such, so I think that could have been a reason why no one thought to step up. I've said it was cool for CK to revive it, just not come in here with the "meh" attitude and make drastic changes. It isn't difficult if you actually listen to what the community is saying..

Top Bottom