• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light House Social and General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalark

SNORLAX
For a "stupid" console, it sure is kicking the 360s and PS3s butts. (lol the other word is censored) Casual > Hardcore.
Sales of the Wii have been declining, though. Either because all of the soccer moms got tired of Wii sports or because everyone owns one.

Man, I remember back when it was borderline impossible to find a Wii.

But really, everyone who wants to keep claiming that the Wii is a ****ty kiddy console with no games are the same people who thought the same thing about the Game Cube.

My biggest problem with the Wii, though, is how lefty unfriendly it is. I'm just hoping that they give you a southpaw option in SWS.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
From IGN quoting GI and their own stuff.

"Game Informer first reported that the console is capable of running games at "HD resolutions." Our sources have said the the console is significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and that Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market. Another source said it is capable of 1080p resolutions."

Lol at being more powerful than 360 and PS3.

Personally, some of you guys have touched on the top 3 things I want.

Better graphics.

Ditch the Friend Code thing

More support for online applications

We'll see in due time.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Wii 2 LOL. Or whatever it's gonna be.

In any case, genius move or dumb move by Nintendo? I thought it was a gamble that paid out really well, because the Wii attracted the casual audience, and from a business perspective...selling consoles is where it's at. Then your top sellers are first party games, so you're making a huge profit off of that.

Now you possibly have this new console coming out, claiming to be more powerful than the PS3 and 360. So does that mean an insane price, or is this slightly upgraded technology, which means a decent price? If PS3 is 2006 technology, what is the Wii 2? 2008?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Wii 2 more powerful than BOTH 360 and PS3?? I'm calling BS.

Lets be real here... The Wii can barely compete with the PS2 at times.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
My problem is, Nintendo has ALWAYS been cheap, so it's hard to imagine the Wii 2 being something super ridiculous. What I imagine it's gonna be is somewhere between a PS4 and a PS3. Not even halfway to be honest. I think what Nintendo might be banking on is the few extra years they will have up on Microsoft and Sony in terms of the next gen console wars to get their sales out of the way.

On a related note: Expect a new Super Smash?

finalark

SNORLAX
From IGN quoting GI and their own stuff.

"Game Informer first reported that the console is capable of running games at "HD resolutions." Our sources have said the the console is significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and that Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market. Another source said it is capable of 1080p resolutions."

Lol at being more powerful than 360 and PS3.
I can see it being more powerful than the 360, but PS3? Na.

In any case, genius move or dumb move by Nintendo? I thought it was a gamble that paid out really well, because the Wii attracted the casual audience, and from a business perspective...selling consoles is where it's at. Then your top sellers are first party games, so you're making a huge profit off of that.
I can only see Nintendo trying to "recapture the hardcore audience" if sales for casual games are going down the drain. I really don't know if they are because I haven't looked at statistic in a while, so yeah.

Now you possibly have this new console coming out, claiming to be more powerful than the PS3 and 360. So does that mean an insane price, or is this slightly upgraded technology, which means a decent price? If PS3 is 2006 technology, what is the Wii 2? 2008?
I guess we'll see. Honestly, the only reason why I have any faith in these rumors is because shortly after the release of the DS we got the Wii. I could see it being the same way for the 3DS.

My problem is, Nintendo has ALWAYS been cheap
Um, excuse me? $250 for a 3DS?

Yep.

finalark

SNORLAX
I forgot about the 3DS, but power wise, it might not hold up to the NGP, which in turn also means a higher price for the NGP.
The reason why Nitendo will ALWAYS be on top when it comes to handhelds is because they've realized that portability, long battery life, a strong library and low costs are the secrets to success.

Meanwhile everyone else seems to think it's a good idea to ape the Game Gear not realizing that the reason why it failed is because it had a battery life of ten seconds, hardly any memorable games and was expensive as hell.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I probably won't buy this new Nintendo console unless its incredibly good. I might get the 3DS though, but not until it starts coming out with good games that aren't remakes.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The reason why Nitendo will ALWAYS be on top when it comes to handhelds is because they've realized that portability, long battery life, a strong library and low costs are the secrets to success.

Meanwhile everyone else seems to think it's a good idea to ape the Game Gear not realizing that the reason why it failed is because it had a battery life of ten seconds, hardly any memorable games and was expensive as hell.
I didn't know the 3DS had a good battery life and strong library.

finalark

SNORLAX
I was referring to non-Nintendo hand helds with that second statement.

As of now, though, the 3DS has a pretty weak library. But I consider it a rule of thumb that it takes at least a year for any console to get enough good games to be worth a purchase.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I know, though I am disappointed that Nintendo didn't even plan at least one first party release. But the 3DS battery does suck though =/.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
List of things I want for the next Nintendo console.

Sony/Microsoft to make it.

No seriously. Nobody makes games on Nintendo consoles anymore for the bull**** reason that they think they'll be outsold by first party software. On top of that, the only reason I buy Nintendo consoles anymore is to play their first party games, except for the few very rare good third party games that aren't later released on other consoles. Making Nintendo a software-only or handheld-only developer will solve both of these problems. Nintendo is quite frankly stuck in the 1990s when it comes to gaming. They have had no significant upgrades in graphics since 2001 and no upgrade in online since 2005. Even their flagship titles are becoming formulaic. Mario games are either 2D platformers that try to emulate Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World or 3D platformers that try to emulate Super Mario 64, Zelda games try to emulate Ocarina of Time, and do I even need to mention Pokemon? All of these games are still very good and very well made but also very derivative. If Nintendo thinks they can keep getting their fanbase to buy what is essentially the same game over and over again and make a profit off of it then they need to seriously reevaluate their business strategy. They struck gold with the Wii and marketing it to an older (and by older I don't mean 18-34 year old males which is what's usually meant by the term, I mean 34-62 year old females) audience because now they not only have Nintendo fans buying their consoles but also old ladies. If you go to the average Xbox owner's house, they'll likely have Call of Duty, Halo, Guitar Hero, etc. because they're a young male gamer. If you go to the average Wii owner's house they'll likely have Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Guitar Hero, etc. because they're not a gamer, they're an old lady. When you look at the sales figures for the Wii, almost all of the games that sell high are first party multiplayer games that require some kind of perhipheral, be it a Wii Wheel, a Balance Board, Motion Plus, a Gamecube controller, or even if it just comes with a second Wii remote. This trend has changed very slightly in the last few years since Nintendo has saturated the market to the point where you can easily find USED Wiis, which would be unheard of in 2006-2008. Developers hate the Wii because it can't run algorithms as complex as the 360 or PS3 can. Digital distributors hate the Wii because of the file size limitations. Third-party publishers hate the Wii because they know their games will get outsold by Nintendo's games. Even Wii owners hate the Wii because they have to deal with buying, on average, only two or three games a year.

Sorry, most of that was just random ranting. My point is just that I really don't like how Nintendo has handled themselves over the past 5 years and I just want them to go back to caring about having the best games instead of the highest sales.

Mind you that I'm talking about the console games, not the handheld ones. Nintendo has always done a good job with their handhelds and I hope they never stop making them. Now if they'd only put out something for the 3DS that I haven't already played I would buy it in a second (although GBA compatibility would be nice too).

Wii 2 more powerful than BOTH 360 and PS3?? I'm calling BS.

Lets be real here... The Wii can barely compete with the PS2 at times.
Yes but
1. We're not talking about the Wii, we're talking about a hypothetical sequel.
2. Nintendo has essentially had 10 years to advance their graphics technology up to 360/PS3 level since all they did from the Gamecube to the Wii is give it a slightly faster processor.

I honestly don't think it's unreasonable to expect Nintendo to be able to make the jump to HD gaming, I just think it's unlikely that they'll actually do it. They were able to get the top screen of the 3DS to have the same graphical fidelity as the PSP AND implement 3D into it, so who's to say they wouldn't be able to do the same for the Wii? I still think it's unlikely that they'd announce it though just because the Wii is still selling over 15 million units a year and has been since 2007.

You can make a computer that has greater graphical power than a PS3 for a reasonable price. It's not difficult.

On a related note, expect me not buying it. Not at full price anyway and certainly not at launch. The next Smash game for me is going to be one of those "go over to a friends house, play it with him, and see if it's any good before buying it" kind of things, like how Mortal Kombat usually is.

lol pwnd.

But the 3DS battery does suck though =/.
Doesn't it get better if you turn the 3D off?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I can only see Nintendo trying to "recapture the hardcore audience" if sales for casual games are going down the drain. I really don't know if they are because I haven't looked at statistic in a while, so yeah.
Good luck with that. I still haven't forgiven Nintendo for ditching me for soccer moms with the Wii. Anything can happen in the future, so who knows? (Still don't know who I'm going to support next gen.)

All I know is that the 360 has been outselling the Wii in NA for the past while.

finalark

SNORLAX
Sony/Microsoft to make it.

No seriously. Nobody makes games on Nintendo consoles anymore for the bull**** reason that they think they'll be outsold by first party software. On top of that, the only reason I buy Nintendo consoles anymore is to play their first party games, except for the few very rare good third party games that aren't later released on other consoles. Making Nintendo a software-only or handheld-only developer will solve both of these problems. Nintendo is quite frankly stuck in the 1990s when it comes to gaming. They have had no significant upgrades in graphics since 2001 and no upgrade in online since 2005. Even their flagship titles are becoming formulaic. Mario games are either 2D platformers that try to emulate Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World or 3D platformers that try to emulate Super Mario 64, Zelda games try to emulate Ocarina of Time, and do I even need to mention Pokemon? All of these games are still very good and very well made but also very derivative. If Nintendo thinks they can keep getting their fanbase to buy what is essentially the same game over and over again and make a profit off of it then they need to seriously reevaluate their business strategy. They struck gold with the Wii and marketing it to an older (and by older I don't mean 18-34 year old males which is what's usually meant by the term, I mean 34-62 year old females) audience because now they not only have Nintendo fans buying their consoles but also old ladies. If you go to the average Xbox owner's house, they'll likely have Call of Duty, Halo, Guitar Hero, etc. because they're a young male gamer. If you go to the average Wii owner's house they'll likely have Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Guitar Hero, etc. because they're not a gamer, they're an old lady. When you look at the sales figures for the Wii, almost all of the games that sell high are first party multiplayer games that require some kind of perhipheral, be it a Wii Wheel, a Balance Board, Motion Plus, a Gamecube controller, or even if it just comes with a second Wii remote. This trend has changed very slightly in the last few years since Nintendo has saturated the market to the point where you can easily find USED Wiis, which would be unheard of in 2006-2008. Developers hate the Wii because it can't run algorithms as complex as the 360 or PS3 can. Digital distributors hate the Wii because of the file size limitations. Third-party publishers hate the Wii because they know their games will get outsold by Nintendo's games. Even Wii owners hate the Wii because they have to deal with buying, on average, only two or three games a year.

Sorry, most of that was just random ranting. My point is just that I really don't like how Nintendo has handled themselves over the past 5 years and I just want them to go back to caring about having the best games instead of the highest sales.
You know the sad thing about this is? You're right.

The whole "no third-parties want anything to do with them" can be linked back to the PS1 days when they stubbornly refused to advance to disks, leaving third parties with carts that were hard to program for and then following that up with mini disks the following generation that had less space on them than the DVDs of the PS2/Xbox.

I also think that another reason for Nintendo's decline is because of their refusal to adopt trends. Starting in the N64 days, they decided that carts would outlive disks, in the GC era that online gaming was a fad and in the Wii era that people are interested in motion controls over anything else.

Really, they just got lucky that the soccer mom crowd liked waving their arms about but I personally lost interest in the Wii and used it as a GC emulator for the longest time. Hell, I just use my GC to play Nintendo games on because the Wii is a ***** to set up.

(Still don't know who I'm going to support next gen.)
I'm just going to support whoever I believes gives me the best experience, like I usually do.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
You know who I'm going to support next gen?

My grandmother in case she has another cancer relapse.

Honestly, I just find the idea of supporting console companies kind of closed-minded. I'll support developers and publishers by buying their games, but the console I choose to support it on is going to be chosen extremely carefully after considering every option at best and just getting whatever my friends have it on at worst. I hate to sound like a rich idort, but honestly the best way to experience games is to have multiple consoles (or at least a console and a gaming PC).

finalark

SNORLAX
Honestly, most people I know own at least two current gen consoles (usually a Wii and either a PS3 or 360). The ones who don't either really aren't into games that much or have an equally powerful PC.

I really wish that instead of having two very similar consoles and then Nintendo's left-field odd ball (the way it's been since the 32-bit era) we just had three very, very different consoles that all appealed to three very different tastes in games.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I honestly would not be owning a Wii if there was no home brew on it. I'm gonna leave it at that, but let's say when I look for console shopping, I also look for what's the best bang for my buck. This goes from how many good games I can pick from on a console, how long a game lasts, what additional features the console has (online apps like netflix and such), among other things.

I could honestly care less about the Wii motion controls, PS3 Move, or even Kinect. Kinect does seem to have the most potential, but I'm not even going to bother jumping on that stuff until we get something awesome like virtual reality. Though by the time that comes around, I'll most likely be dead due to old age.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
The next gen console I'll be getting is the one most of my friends get, which will probably be whatever the next microsoft console is.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'll only buy the next Xbox if the hardware quality is good. None of this RROD or "cannot read disc" BS. :glare:

SwampertTheGreat

Smash Ace
I'm not sure about it. I always loved Nintendo but I can't stick up for the Wii.It's pretty much all shovelware.I haven't played my Wii in about 6 months because I don't have a reason to.If the new system is anything like the Wii is (In terms of the games) I probably won't get it.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Nintendo needs to hit the roots and go back to making good games that we can call classics. Only real Wii games that'll be thought of as classic are the Super Mario Galaxy games.

finalark

SNORLAX
I just hope that one of these days Nintendo will stop being three steps behind their competition every generation. And they need to get their third-party support back.

Really, it's been like that ever since the N64 days. Three steps behind and third parties want nothing to do with them.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Nintendo 3rd-Party games consist of Catz and Dogz.
In other words, poop.

And it needs to put some GC games on the Virtual Console. Gamestop stopped selling them, Amazon takes forever, how else are we gonna play them? Supporting ROMs and Emulators?

finalark

SNORLAX
And it needs to put some GC games on the Virtual Console. Gamestop stopped selling them, Amazon takes forever, how else are we gonna play them? Supporting ROMs and Emulators?
Since when did Gamestop stop selling them? They still have them in Tucson, maybe they just stopped getting GC games in where you live.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I hope they put GBA games on VC for 3DS. I don't really want to use an emulator for GBA games because it's time consuming when I want to get my computer out just so I can play Advance Wars.

S

smash brawl player 99021

I don't know Fina, I walked in looking for Windwaker and they said they stopped selling them.

And yes, Gates.
Superstar Saga for the umpteenth time. <3

finalark

SNORLAX
I hope they put GBA games on VC for 3DS. I don't really want to use an emulator for GBA games because it's time consuming when I want to get my computer out just so I can play Advance Wars.
I second this. We know they're putting GB and GBC games on the 3DS VC and there is no reason why they shouldn't do the same for GBA. Besides, it was stupid of them to ever take out the GBA slot in the first place because the GBA is awesome.

I don't know Fina, I walked in looking for Windwaker and they said they stopped selling them.
I think I'll ask if they still take GC games next time I'm down at Game Stop, then.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
There's a social now? I should have checked the room name.

I'm probably going to
go with Sony next gen and borrow friends' Nintendo consoles for certain games. My ps3 has just entertained me way more consistently than my Wii, and having non-crippled online play is fantastic.

The move also takes all the good parts of the wiimote with few downsides, but really, that doesn't matter; it's up to developers to make great games for it.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I think Nintendo will probably release an idea of their new console this year, as I have a feeling they've had something planned for a while That said, it won't come out until late 2012/early 2013.

As for Sony/Microsoft, I think Xbox360 will be the next to make a new model. Lets face it, it's the next dated one. I'd say it'll sync with Nintendo, or be a year or so after Nintendo's.

As for Sony.. I don't know. The ps3 has a lot of room to expand imo, so the need to upgrade already is kinda...pointless? I guess we'll see on that one.

I actually like what Nintendo does (from a business standpoint) Unlike letting Game Designers support them, they support themselves. Iunno, I think that concept is kinda cool.

finalark

SNORLAX
I think Nintendo will probably release an idea of their new console this year, as I have a feeling they've had something planned for a while That said, it won't come out until late 2012/early 2013.
This whole thing pretty much clings to whatever happens at E3 this year. I think a lot of us have forgotten how exciting it is to see new consoles.

As for Sony/Microsoft, I think Xbox360 will be the next to make a new model. Lets face it, it's the next dated one. I'd say it'll sync with Nintendo, or be a year or so after Nintendo's.
Yeah, the 360's hardware is starting to feel a tad dated (given that they were the first to launch I'm not surprised).

As for Sony.. I don't know. The ps3 has a lot of room to expand imo, so the need to upgrade already is kinda...pointless? I guess we'll see on that one.
I really don't expect a new console out of Sony for a while, the PS3 has some solid hardware that can make it last for a few more years I think.

I actually like what Nintendo does (from a business standpoint) Unlike letting Game Designers support them, they support themselves. Iunno, I think that concept is kinda cool.
I disagree. This basically means that you'll be playing Mario and Zelda over and over again on your Super Wii Cube 64 Entertainment System while your friends are showed with all sorts of fresh IPs from a number of third parties on their Playbox 360-3.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Not really. Nintendo could always make new IPs. Pandora's Tower could seriously be a step in a fresh direction.

Also, as for Sony, I think so too. I can't imagine replacing the PS3 right now. It's just new become a hardcore system.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Very true, but you never know, things could change. Don't get me wrong, you'll see Mario/Zelda/Link/Kirby/All of them foreverrrrr (which, too an extent I like this as well), BUT.. Pandora's Tower was so... out there. Either they got bored, or they realize they need to make new ones too.

Edit: Also everything has a common judgement. By this I mean:

Nintendo : Where you play the same things over and over again.
* I'm refering to Nintendo as a genre here, lolz

JRPG/WRPG/FGs/ Everything has a common judgement.

How standalone is a jrpg from all the other ones? Very much the same. How about wrpg, the "ancient evil awakens" games? Or Fighting Games, which all differ in gameplay but all revolve around the same concept [except smash, which is why it's not liked so much].

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The thing is, you're stuck with the same premise for every Nintendo game as opposed to say...a WRPG or Action Game. What's Mario's premise? No matter what, it's always rescue Peach from Bowser. What's Zelda? Get the Mastersword and pwn Ganondorf.

Now look at say...Infamous. Some game about where you get super powers and choose between good and evil. Sounds like a pretty good plot for an action game. But if I'm not interested, I can check out another action game like...MGS4. But hey, if that doesn't fit my cup of tea either, I'll go with Uncharted.

Even if you want to get super generic in terms of gameplay and story, like hey...Halo, fight to save the world from Aliens. I don't like Aliens and futuristic guns. What's that? Call of Duty is more modernized and just as good as an FPS? Awesome.

Now by no means I'm into FPS games. I do think they all play the same and what not, but what they offer over the Nintendo franchises is at least some differences. With Nintendo games, you're stuck with the same old same old. Every now and then, they will change it up (Paper Mario), but at least plot wise, it's still the same thing.

finalark

SNORLAX
I just have to say that a lot of Nintendo's games in the same franchise all play very similarly to each other (as in, all 3D Mario games all play very similarly, Kirby's all play similarly, ect). It doesn't help that all of the games are structured the same (in LoZ it's always "get a handful of minor items, grab Master Sword, go a number of more important items, **** Ganny").

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I think if you're a fan of Nintendo games you probably value gameplay over plot.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I guess it's just because I'm a fan. I crave Mario games or Zelda games from time to time just like I crave a jrpg or action game. Actually just found a great jrpg recently ;D. Just trying to finish DA:Awakening and Shattered Dimensions first.

finalark

SNORLAX
I think if you're a fan of Nintendo games you probably value gameplay over plot.
I second this. Even their franchises which have a stronger emphasis on story than usual don't do much with their plots.

Hell, DK Jungle Beat (which is ridiculously fun if you have some Bongos for it) doesn't even have a plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom