• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
I wish I lived back in Dallas. I lived there for 10 years and I knew a couple of good smashers there. Oh well I do have zerker and Lnik7 and maybe even more smashers to find.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
There's a good reason Link wields the triforce of courage rather than power or wisdom. You need to be suicidally brave to play Link in any serious manner.
It's simply due to how much more work it takes for him to do anything useful compared to :4pikachu: who can practically shut Link down with fundamental "walk forward, shield projectiles, grab d-throw, U-air ad infinitum, punish landing at kill % (u-smash usually)" while Link has like two lame options that don't work well to attempt not to get blown up. (Soft bombs, and bombs held exploding to alter his midair flight path)
:4fox: destroys Link in CQ, reflects projectiles even better than ever before (bombs :mad:) and moves/jumps/recovers/combos better in every way making him the penultimate counter to Link in ever game.
:4sonic: can get in faster than we can hope to zone, combo and punish Link's hyrule tier weight to death until he has the stock lead. Then he can stall out the rest of the match with ease.
Link is the perfect weight for :4zss:'s combo game, making it easy for her to get three confirmed throws a stock to rack the damage needed for Up-B to kill off the third string. Link has to PRAY he has a bomb in hand to alter his flight path mid-combo (which ZSS can react to and nullify with good tracking anyway)
:rosalina: effectively takes all of Link's projectile game away (THREE MOVES) with one, and has sufficient zoning with Luma to prevent Link from doing any real damage in CQ what with all of her moves being faster, safer, and infuriatingly more disjointed on U-tilt, U-air, and D-air...
:4falcon: is too fast for Link to zone, combos so well and can punish any attempt to escape Falcon basically has a 50/50 chance of taking your stock with one good string.
:4luigi:&:4mario: shut Link down in early % with combos up to 50% EASILY off a grab that comes out at least 2x faster than ours. Mario's fireballs are just as efficient for zoning as most of Link's combined arsenal, and Luigi's can be used to force a grab mix up that (at proper %) lead to an easy mashed Down-B confirm off the ceiling.
:4sheik: eats Link for breakfast... Nuff said. This matchup is soo loaded I don't need to describe it. Find a good Sheik and feel for yourself how garbage it is.

Fun Fact... MUs we should probably win are easy to lose if you aren't trying twice as hard as your opponent.
:4ganondorf: Needs exactly three good reads to put you down a stock.
:4samus: can carefully avoid our zoning and lay on small % until she can force you into a landing situation and BOOM fully charged shot has you offstage, soft missle hits and all your momentum on Up-B is dead = you die.
:4zelda: can wait until Link selects an option and teleport into him on reaction. She can use phantom to stuff zoning momentarily, has an easy reflector, can recover from further, has better kill moves in air...

And that is all the simple things that Link gets shafted on. The complicated mess of things Link loses out on is a soul-sucking pit of how pathetic the character can be in anything less than a master's hands. If you want to win, don't play Link. If you want to take it easy and play lightly without to much struggle, don't play Link.
If you want someone to think "wow that's a pretty good player", you have to win with Link at a level where he is almost designed to lose consistently.

That all aside however, He's my favorite character, the one I feel the most relaxed playing, the one I probably play the best of the cast, the only character I've ever gone in tournament, and the only character I'll likely ever use in tournament save for one exception in Brawl.
I played a tough match in 2008 against a pretty scrubby :metaknight: that was able to gimp me pretty hard due to my then inability to recover low properly. I CP :marth: and three stock him the next two rounds as a point, and that is the only time I have picked anyone other than Link in tourney.

Last edited:

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
There's a good reason Link wields the triforce of courage rather than power or wisdom. You need to be suicidally brave to play Link in any serious manner.
It's simply due to how much more work it takes for him to do anything useful compared to :4pikachu: who can practically shut Link down with fundamental "walk forward, shield projectiles, grab d-throw, U-air ad infinitum, punish landing at kill % (u-smash usually)" while Link has like two lame options that don't work well to attempt not to get blown up. (Soft bombs, and bombs held exploding to alter his midair flight path)
:4fox: destroys Link in CQ, reflects projectiles even better than ever before (bombs :mad:) and moves/jumps/recovers/combos better in every way making him the penultimate counter to Link in ever game.
:4sonic: can get in faster than we can hope to zone, combo and punish Link's hyrule tier weight to death until he has the stock lead. Then he can stall out the rest of the match with ease.
Link is the perfect weight for :4zss:'s combo game, making it easy for her to get three confirmed throws a stock to rack the damage needed for Up-B to kill off the third string. Link has to PRAY he has a bomb in hand to alter his flight path mid-combo (which ZSS can react to and nullify with good tracking anyway)
:rosalina: effectively takes all of Link's projectile game away (THREE MOVES) with one, and has sufficient zoning with Luma to prevent Link from doing any real damage in CQ what with all of her moves being faster, safer, and infuriatingly more disjointed on U-tilt, U-air, and D-air...
:4falcon: is too fast for Link to zone, combos so well and can punish any attempt to escape Falcon basically has a 50/50 chance of taking your stock with one good string.
:4luigi:&:4mario: shut Link down in early % with combos up to 50% EASILY off a grab that comes out at least 2x faster than ours. Mario's fireballs are just as efficient for zoning as most of Link's combined arsenal, and Luigi's can be used to force a grab mix up that (at proper %) lead to an easy mashed Down-B confirm off the ceiling.
:4sheik: eats Link for breakfast... Nuff said. This matchup is soo loaded I don't need to describe it. Find a good Sheik and feel for yourself how garbage it is.

Fun Fact... MUs we should probably win are easy to lose if you aren't trying twice as hard as your opponent.
:4samus: can carefully avoid our zoning and lay on small % until she can force you into a landing situation and BOOM fully charged shot has you offstage, soft missle hits and all your momentum on Up-B is dead = you die.
:4zelda: can wait until Link selects an option and teleport into him on reaction. She can use phantom to stuff zoning momentarily, has an easy reflector, can recover from further, has better kill moves in air...

And that is all the simple things that Link gets shafted on. The complicated mess of things Link loses out on is a soul-sucking pit of how pathetic the character can be in anything less than a master's hands. If you want to win, don't play Link. If you want to take it easy and play lightly without to much struggle, don't play Link.
If you want someone to think "wow that's a pretty good player", you have to win with Link at a level where he is almost designed to lose consistently.

That all aside however, He's my favorite character, the one I feel the most relaxed playing, the one I probably play the best of the cast, the only character I've ever gone in tournament, and the only character I'll likely ever use in tournament save for one exception in Brawl.
I played a tough match in 2008 against a pretty scrubby :metaknight: that was able to gimp me pretty hard due to my then inability to recover low properly. I CP :marth: and three stock him the next two rounds as a point, and that is the only time I have picked anyone other than Link in tourney.

Sad but true. It makes me wonder though, would I rather have Link be a braindead grab-combo spamming machine that's really good, or a bad character that I'll need to work multitudes greater than my opponent to win? Honestly, I thought we had a comfortable in between sort of thing, with the jab cancel and all. You still had to work harder than your opponent, but you could still say that he was good. Alas, they had to take that away from us, maybe soon we'll see the light again.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632

And the people I play with the most play :4luigi::4pikachu::4falcon::4sheik: and :4diddy:

It's pretty rough...

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
You want to play Link in a Smash game where he's actually good for sure? Play PM. They still made him mediocre as hell last patch, but I have a safe bet that they will give him much needed buffs to make him solid again. Hell, since it's a fan made game, we could ask for the PMDT to give PM Link some of the qualities Sm4sh Link lost that made him a solid character in the past. I bet they'd even take our word for it.

And I'll say it again. If Link gets another heavy nerf in Sm4sh, I'll just stick to PM and Melee as my main games. At least they can't **** Link up any further in Melee.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
That jab cancel nerf has to be one of the most crippling nerfs a character has had in this game, if not the most crippling. Here's hoping we get SOMETHING in the patch on Sunday, like getting less end lag on 2nd Forward Smash. If we get a nerf.........it just shows how much Sakurai just despises him.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Well I attempted to describe most of the tops since tier lists matter to the rest of the world and those are the characters you will see most at tourneys. Then the bad characters actually get to play easier despite what should be a bad MU for them.

I pray you all have seen Saus's Link in melee by now. This man is just good, like not just Link good, straight up the "goodest" good there is. Smart, tactical, technical, and still evolving. I'm actually back into Melee now because of him... This man is our Amsa.

PM Link is pretty okay, used to be pretty good, but people complained about flagship characters with a long storied history and long past of suffering in the smash games was getting pretty good... The PM scene is cool, but I worry that the community has a little too much sway over how the game is balanced...

Smash4 Link desperately needs something useful for close range other than pivot-Ftilt (which isn't terrible) that will allow him to contend with characters that demolish his zoning tools with one gimmick. Give Link his blasted Brawl jab cancels (those were almost as good as Ike's) give him (and Samus/Gay/Lucas/ZSS) the ability to Z-drop things without Z-airing, give him an aerial that can actually break certain setups (F'ing GhatDaym N-air SHOULD be the patron saint of this!), and give him Melee's D'throw arc.
D-throw should send at such a low angle (fixed KB) that you can't airdodge before you hit the ground, (I don't mind if it's techable since that would atleast give us a tech chase opportunity) so Link can plan some follow ups. Make F-throw have like 0 recovery so he might be able to Full hop N-air follow up at low to mid %, make U-throw have stronger KB so he has a potential kill thow since it only kills at like 160% on mid weights midstage. Give B-throw a low angle so it can possibly be used at the ledge to setup edge guarding. And for the love of god his actual grab needs to come out faster and end sooner... He has practically the worst grab in the game at the moment.

Give him all that and nothing else, BOOM definite Mid tier character. I'd be happy with that much knowing it fixes ALL of his "major" failings in tourney play in the current Meta.

Edit: Also... @Trela's :4miisword: is the truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiAX2tVZ6dY

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Well I attempted to describe most of the tops since tier lists matter to the rest of the world and those are the characters you will see most at tourneys. Then the bad characters actually get to play easier despite what should be a bad MU for them.

I pray you all have seen Saus's Link in melee by now. This man is just good, like not just Link good, straight up the "goodest" good there is. Smart, tactical, technical, and still evolving. I'm actually back into Melee now because of him... This man is our Amsa.

PM Link is pretty okay, used to be pretty good, but people complained about flagship characters with a long storied history and long past of suffering in the smash games was getting pretty good... The PM scene is cool, but I worry that the community has a little too much sway over how the game is balanced...

Smash4 Link desperately needs something useful for close range other than pivot-Ftilt (which isn't terrible) that will allow him to contend with characters that demolish his zoning tools with one gimmick. Give Link his blasted Brawl jab cancels (those were almost as good as Ike's) give him (and Samus/Gay/Lucas/ZSS) the ability to Z-drop things without Z-airing, give him an aerial that can actually break certain setups (F'ing GhatDaym N-air SHOULD be the patron saint of this!), and give him Melee's D'throw arc.
D-throw should send at such a low angle (fixed KB) that you can't airdodge before you hit the ground, (I don't mind if it's techable since that would atleast give us a tech chase opportunity) so Link can plan some follow ups. Make F-throw have like 0 recovery so he might be able to Full hop N-air follow up at low to mid %, make U-throw have stronger KB so he has a potential kill thow since it only kills at like 160% on mid weights midstage. Give B-throw a low angle so it can possibly be used at the ledge to setup edge guarding. And for the love of god his actual grab needs to come out faster and end sooner... He has practically the worst grab in the game at the moment.

Give him all that and nothing else, BOOM definite Mid tier character. I'd be happy with that much knowing it fixes ALL of his "major" failings in tourney play in the current Meta.

Edit: Also... @Trela's :4miisword: is the truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiAX2tVZ6dY
Imo, all they really need to do to make Sm4sh Link solid again is give him improved mobility both in the air and on the ground, and make it so that jab 2 cancel stuff actually combos. Like, that's it.

Edit: If I were to want anything else though, it would be for Bair to true combo out of a Dthrow until mid %s on mid weights, and for there to be a Melee Spin Attack custom. I also want the old dash attack back that can combo into stuff at least during early %s. I know the new dash attack is iconic, but it's such an awful move now. I wouldn't really change much when it comes to dropping bombs in this game other than making the timing to the current Zairless Zdrop methods way more doable, cuz lets be honest. With how bombs don't hurt us if they blow up on opponents hurt boxes, being able to act freely out of dropping bombs would be almost as good Melee spacie shines. It wouldn't really be broken, but it would probably make Link's (and Gay's) bombs almost too good.

And in case you didn't know, if Link could true combo Dthrow into bair until mid %s, he would actually have a chain combo to rack damage with (Dthrow>Bair>Grab>repeat).

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Does any of you guys play GTA V Online? I just spent like 4 hours drifting around in a Karin Futo. I'm so broke in this game constantly cause I need all the clothes and all the fancy car things

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I wish someone could just mod Sm4sh to make it more balanced and Melee-like (with dash dancing, wave dashing, moon walking, momentum jumps and added shield stun but still keeping most original Sm4sh mechanics) while showing Link some love, because I'm sick of Sakurai ****ing everything up. I hope that some day my wish comes to pass, because I bet we all would be some happy ******** if it were to happen.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632

No....stop it megaman...I SAID STAAWWWP!

Edit:
I hate that he names crap after himself though. You can name it if you want just don't have an ego about it

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Edit:
I hate that he names crap after himself though. You can name it if you want just don't have an ego about it
^What's funny is pretty much everything in there was already done by other characters like Diddy/Peach/Link with items since Brawl. He didn't discover anything.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
^What's funny is pretty much everything in there was already done by other characters like Diddy/Peach/Link with items since Brawl. He didn't discover anything.
Yeah I know. I feel like megamanz peeps do that a lot :|

Rizen

Smash Legend
I tried playing Final Fantasy, Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers for the wii again. Now I remember why it's been so long since I last played it. The premise is good (not great) but implementing it was done horribly. Mediocre controls, bad camera and an abysmally bad map system with unclear objectives sucks all the potential out. It's a shame; FF CC: CB could have been a good game.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Why'd you have to post that? Now I'm reminded how it could've been, AGAIN!

Also, that guy is just not very good. I play better ROB's on FG.

Funny, I used to have Crystal Bearers, and I honestly cared more about those characters, than I did about any FF character. Then again, I hate FF, so that's probably why.....probably.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Last edited by a moderator:

FSK

Smash Ace

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
WHAT THE **** IS YOUR PROBLEM DF?! YOU KNOW THERE'S A ****ING EDIT BUTTON RIGHT? YOU STUPID ****. YOU BETTER ****ING WATCH OUT NEXT TIME YOU LITTLE PIECE OF ****, THIS IS NOT YOUR OWN PERSONAL PLAYGROUND WHERE YOU GET TO DO WHATEVER YOU ****ING WANT. GET YOUR **** TOGETHER.
What can I say? I'm a rebel.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
"
At the end of the day, I’m aiming for intermediately-skilled players to be able to properly enjoy the game. Fundamentally, my goal with Smash has been to create an “enjoyable party game”. If you want to enjoy thrilling tactical gameplay, you might be better suited for other 2D fighting games.

Recently, there was a tournament featuring the top Japanese and American players. In 1v1s, the natural tendency is to use low risk moves to gradually deal damage to the opponent. Smash attacks rarely came out, and the matches were prone to becoming long, drawn out affairs. When considering the variety of ways Smash can be played I think this is a waste, but the winner was certainly decided by skill."

I want to punch babies

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
At the end of the day, I’m aiming for intermediately-skilled players to be able to properly enjoy the game.
No freaking wonder Link's been getting nerf after nerf after nerf. He takes the top-level play, analyses it, and does changes to suit intermediate-level play. Link is a character that needs to be played at a top-level for him to be anything close to viable. An intermediate level Link in competitive play is about as effective as picking Ganondorf in Brawl.

FSK

Smash Ace
No freaking wonder Link's been getting nerf after nerf after nerf. He takes the top-level play, analyses it, and does changes to suit intermediate-level play. Link is a character that needs to be played at a top-level for him to be anything close to viable. An intermediate level Link in competitive play is about as effective as picking Ganondorf in Brawl.
Or you know, picking Link in brawl?

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
WHAT THE **** IS YOUR PROBLEM DF?! YOU KNOW THERE'S A ****ING EDIT BUTTON RIGHT? YOU STUPID ****. YOU BETTER ****ING WATCH OUT NEXT TIME YOU LITTLE PIECE OF ****, THIS IS NOT YOUR OWN PERSONAL PLAYGROUND WHERE YOU GET TO DO WHATEVER YOU ****ING WANT. GET YOUR **** TOGETHER.
What are you cursing for?

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Does this look familiar?
I remember reading the comments for this video. Turns out the so called "OP" Link is our "old friend" CoH, who still claims that Brawl Link was far superior to Sm4sh Link (mind you this was pre-patch, when Jab1 and Dtilt weren't nerfed into oblivion).

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
I would say 64 Link would slightly better in the realm of actually having combos (some 0 to death with proper execution) and being pretty versatile. 64 Link is only really a bad character due because he has the worst recovery tied with samus who is bad for several other reasons Link doesn't suffer from.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
I would say 64 Link would slightly better in the realm of actually having combos (some 0 to death with proper execution) and being pretty versatile. 64 Link is only really a bad character due because he has the worst recovery tied with samus who is bad for several other reasons Link doesn't suffer from.
Thats the thing with 64 Link though. He's actually a very good character all things considered but he is limited way too much with a little mac tier recovery.

Top Bottom