• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link in teams: Fight or Flight(Teaming with Pit)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Thanks J, so yeah guys should we wait for Ganon's for some input or should we move on? I thought they were cool... :mad:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Well, they are, but they are also very slow. Even slower than us. I mean, their jab is 8 frames long. How long do you think it'd take them to walk over here? At least we're like top 5 walking speed and have slippery boots :D

I don't think there's very much left to talk about on our end. Everyone has said what they wanted to say. We could wait a little longer for any Ganons to show up, although honestly I think they're likely to echo what we've said. I say we move on, and any Ganons who want to can still say their piece.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Agreed. We could just say "lol double MK's or MK/Snake = best team end of thread." But we don't because we play a character we love.
I've teamed with a scrub Pika and beat 2 experienced players both playing MK. 2 High tiers don't necessarily make a good team.
Ganon is much better for teams, Link too in my opinion, I'd say they rise to a middle tier. But Ganon and Link are not a usable team.

I'm kinda dissapointed that we haven't had any input from the Ganon's. I suppose we'll move on to Zelda soon.
Why don't we take a vote on which character to discuss next like the MU thread? I don't have team experience with very many characters.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Well the plan was to move up the tier list to make things interesting, but if you want to nominate someone then go ahead and we'll probably do it next if we get enough people interested about it.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Saterday, Catpukee and I are gonna team in an offline tournament in dubz using Cats Link and my Ganon.
Ill just post how that turned out.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The Link teams I know are:
PT, Pika, TLink, MK, Falco, G&W, Double Links. Any of those are fine.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
.. No, just no lol.
But seriously, TL should be fine racking up damage wih up tilts and bairs and more bairs and the standard stuff he does, and link can do the killing.

MJG

Smash Hero
I've teamed with Legan and he decided that it would be best not to use Link with my TL

TL+Link doesn't really work out for the best, but if you insist on using them both, let Link sit back while TL goes in..try to make sure you stayed grounded as Link. Link will have no problem finish the opponent off while holding his stock.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Just team with MK.

Also don't go Link.

There, we helped. Oh, and in regards to the post in our GD, I honestly don't think any Toon Links care about some joke Links make about our character. Really.

K but for actually help. This team would be pretty good when ahead.
Tink can save Link with bair pretty well when he's being gimped
For the love of god have the Link save his dair. Nothing else is going to be killing.
Leave Tink to go in more at lower percents. He flows much better here. Just throw stuff and try to be helpful.
When at higher percents, let the Link go in and have the Tink throw ****.

It would work out fine, but again, just team with an MK, Snake, Wario, GaW, anyone else really. No reason you have to handicap yourself.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Well we want to try and discuss every possibility instead of going to the easiest solution. For all we know there are people out there who use this team for friendlies, tournaments etc. I regularly team with Toon Link, my brother uses him and I've got a friend who uses him as well.

Anyways I don't want to delve deeper into that talk. Apart from all that you guys have given some good advice, so thanks.

Rizen

Smash Legend
DTL knows his stuff.

With Link's ground/low attack and spam power and TLinks floaty fast air attacks/spam they make a good team. Not the best, but good. Reflectors might give this team trouble. Link can launch up with most attacks and TLink controls the air well. I teamed with someone called starr on battlefield, the launch distance of weaker moves like Link's Bair, Nair, dash attack, bombs and at low%s Dsmash, Utilt launch opponents into good places for TL's air game- particularly on small stages. Don't spam Dair, use it as an additional punisher move after TL launches. If you spam it opponents can plan and launch TL into it (rookie mistake I made).
With jabs, both characters having Zair and good spam there's plenty of team comboing setups.

Weak points: both characters have bad grab lag and ending lag on power moves but Link staying low and TL's fast aerial attacks can help cover this; Link is actually faster with attacks on the ground than TL. Both need fight momentum and should help each other. Bad roll dodges, this is a 'keep opponents back' battle. Friendly fire; spam smart, use Link's fast fall air dodge or Nair to return down to the stage and avoid being juggled. Hard to coordinate, this team is far better if the players have practiced and are organized.
Doesn't Deva's brother main a good TLink? We should see if they have team videos.
Oh, and be careful when charging Dsmash because you might be dumb and hit TL by accident. *Sorry*:dizzy:

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Luckily, i also play Toon link as well. Though not all as well as i play Link.

In my opinion TL is a good partner for Link, as long as both of you can control your projectile spam. He's much faster then Link and can cover the faster opponents that Link may have trouble with. He can also handle the aerial based opponents alot better then Link can as well. His recovery is pretty decent, so if TL and Link are off stage, both should be able to make it back as long as the TL isn't selfish.

As far as team work, i find Link to be a really good vertical launcher. And with TL patrolling the skies with Bair, Uair, and Fair, it might make a pretty good combination. UTilt from Link followed by an UAir from Tl could spell death fairly early for some enemies. Also since Tl is so much more floatier then Link, he can easily cover any off stage fights, but in reality, i think it would be so much more fun to watch your opponents squirm with tons of projectiles preventing them from recovering. Link in front and TL behind full hopping bombs and arrows could be quite crazy. This could also work as a camping scenario, with TL easily able to peel off and run into battle with quick aerials, assuming your Link knows when to stop his barrage long enough for you to hop in front.

With TLs speed and projectiles, he can easily help babysit Link in his more difficult match ups. As well as help him recover. Also TL can provide as a secondary finisher since its quite possible to play TL with very few smashes, since they don't do too much to change his damage output, he can also freely use his Fsmash without fear of killing Link, since he is able just skip the second hit if Link does manage to get in the way. At the same time Links smashes are much more important to his overall game play. Possibly leaving many of his kill moves stale.

As long as both characters avoid any major knock back they can both survive to fairly high %s. TL and his huge recovery, and Link with his great DI. So the stock tank could be either one of them depending on he opponents and the situation. Example if chain grabbers or really good gimpers around, TL will probably stock tank. If your against stronger opponents like a Bowser or Ike, it would probably be Link.

This team is rather inter-changeable in terms of roles since both characters are capable of doing both. So in my opinion this team would probably be around a 5-6/10. Team is rather average.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
and I've got a friend who uses him as well.
And I'm that friend, right? Right? You know it. >_>

Anyway, I know a heap about Toon ditto teams, so if I just adjust that a bit, I should be able to help.

In a Toon ditto team, saving each other is extemely easy. You can throw bombs down at your 'failed recovery friend' (always helpful to get a second Up-B), Bair them, and especially use our Up-B. If you Up-B to the edge and it snaps on before the last hit comes out, this is a perfect life saver as it brings your team mate up with you and, well it just works, trust me. So being able to save each other should be the same in this team as we both have bombs and the Up-B to the edge, but I wouldn't suggest Link going offstage to hit Toon with an aerial. It probably wouldn't end too well. But being able to consistently stop Link from getting Gimped will be a great advantage.

There's the obvious like Link should do the killing, Link should stay on the ground while Toon can go to the air. Their spam game shouldn't get in each others way, it should compliment each other so feel free to spam away.

Toon should be able to pull of some crazy shiz with Dair and the Gale Boomerang because wind hitbox = instant momentum tricks. Safe Spikes? Toon in Dair position projectile? Me like.

So spam wise, they would be really solid. Killing potential, Link takes care of that with F-smash and Dair while Toon can get those early kills really high up not to mention gimps.

I think it could work. That is of course, theoretically speaking. Maybe we should try it out in a few friendlies next time I see you.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link in front and TL behind full hopping bombs and arrows could be quite crazy.
Link can SH Zair when the opponent(s) come into range. Link's Zair is the only one that hits twice and it deals extra shield pressure. Projectile spam stops or bounces off shields but Zair goes through and Link can jab after landing if the opponent's really determined to break through.

Characters with piercing range attacks like Falco would be able to force approaches.

Toon should be able to pull of some crazy shiz with Dair and the Gale Boomerang because wind hitbox = instant momentum tricks. Safe Spikes? Toon in Dair position projectile? Me like.

Killing potential, Link takes care of that with F-smash and Dair while Toon can get those early kills really high up not to mention gimps.
The wind-Dair is unlikely, it would have to happen with TL being an opportunist.
Link also has Dsmash and Utilt to KO with.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Took awhile to find this vid. Epic team stradegy? :p
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UCkQK1WLtEo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UCkQK1WLtEo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ryos4

Smash Lord
whats also interesting about this "AT"/ Glitch is that you can move TL horizontally at the same time if you do it correctly causing him to float like Peach. There's also a chance you might float diagonally down. I haven't really fully tested to how actually move TL horizontally on purpose.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ok, ok, just to clarify, the whole Toon Dair tricks with wind hitbox was more joking around.

That vid is easilly explained. I've already explained it somewhere, I dunno. But it's just an example of how easy it is to activate the stange momentum affected Dair properties with wind hitboxes. What happens in the vid is Toon gets momentum from the wind hitbox while he is standing on the ground, then he does a Dair stall out of a SH. Very simple. To control which way you 'float' you simply need to jump left or right when you hit Jump and instantly hit Dair.
I just thought I'd clear that up.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah I guess move on we all agree to it. I really want to give some input but I have so much other threads to give input as well, which is taking quite alot of time, sorry about all that. So yeah if other people want to move on to Link just say so.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Not too much discussion on the Toon Link and Link in teams which is a shame since it's such a common team too :( (common for me at least).

I'm still going to write my thoughts on it but I think it's best that we move on to our most favorite character Link!

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828

Link back 2 back! Truly the most epic team imaginable!

I wonder how this would turn out; it's probably not very common since there aren't that many people who main Link who live in the same area.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I think this match would be really interesting if both Link players master the art of catching bombs. There could be some serious mind games with 4 bombs flying around with both Links controlling any of them at one point. Double bomb from one Link without him needing to set it up. Link's bombs could act like a grenade/c4 launch to chase people higher then 1 Link could alone. Partners bombs could help Link recover. Imagine having knocked up an opponent with Utilt/Uthrow at high%s and then 4 bombs tossed up for him to dodge with the possible addition of Uair from both Links, all of which could kill them.

Boomerang could be used to pull partner back to the stage or increase the height of his spin attack recovery. Boomerang could be used to pull your partner into an opponent while charging a smash or spin attack.

Edge guards would be almost as crazy as with Toon Link. Would work great with platforms.

Combo possibilities with Uthrow/Dthrow/Bomb>dair, especially with platforms. Infinite jab locks. I wonder what would happen if you caught an opponent between both Link's using Zair. Could they do some sort of Zair loop? Or maybe doing Jab cancels loops.

IDk just thinking up possibilities. No way of testing because there are no Link players near me.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Imagine having knocked up an opponent
Sorry, but LMFAO.

On a more serious note, bombs flying around would make the game far more chaotic and fun than possible otherwise. Aerials will suffer massively, though, because Link is mostly a grounded player. U-tilt and F-tilt are decent aerial defenses, but...?

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Me + cat try'd double Link, it just failed, LInk + Ganon went way more succesfol.
Also, we kind of not did any good at that tournametn going Ganon + Link but oh well lol.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
My friend and I tried a double Link matchup, and all I will say is this: colossal fail, if not epic fail.

Apart from the gimping, we tried to mix it up by spamming as many projectiles as we could, but most of our bombs were merely caught and thrown back at us after a spotdodge or a shield. Link is just too slow to successfully come to his teammate's aid without leaving himself wide open (against almost any character).

The funnest part came, however, when we started spamming Boomerangs one after the other (spotdodges included, of course). It was, literally, a constant barrage of GBs which actually garnered a loud and explosive "WTF?!"

That's all I have to say about double Links. This is one team I really doubt I'll be playing again. Move onto :zelda:/:shiek:?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
hmm it seems this thread has gone dead... Is it about time to start a new character team up?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I blame those jerks from the Link boards. They didn't help us in our discussion at all!

Time for Zelda I suppose. From what I hear Zelda is way better in teams than 1 v. 1.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I can't believe our own character that we know most about got like the least input :p... :(

I went to a tourney and teamed up with Toon Link. It was quite hard to play but we did pretty well.

We pulled of some epic things like Jab lock double arrow Lock to like Toon Link Upsmash to Link Dair. I wish we saved it.

But yeah it wasn't a good team, because projectiles got in the way. I pretty much had to not spam in order for our team to work well.

I guess we can move on to Zelda then. I also hear that she's the **** in teams.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link teams (sorry I'm late):
Be close but not where the other Link is. Link has a lot of versatility: Spam from SHs or full jumps, be distracting with spam/Zair or use big laggy KO moves, etc. Everything has it's pros and cons. One Link should be covering the downsides of the other's actions. For example: Link'A' Zairs while Link'B' Dairs. 'A' platform camps with bombs and boomerang while 'B' patrols the ground with SH Zair, jab cancels and smashes. 'A' misses a grab/Dair/whatever so 'B' Zair's through 'A' and the opponent who's about to punish 'A'. Don't play the same roll and stay out of sword range but close. Something fast like jabs/Utilt paired with Dair make wicked combos. Adapt in the match, recognize systems like high platform camping/air attacks and low ground control, high jump spam and low jabs/spam. Quick/weak attack and Strong laggy attack. Both players should avoid the edge. Stopping the intercepting opponent(s) is the best way to save your partner. Brinstar and Halberd should be good stage choices.

---------------------
I have never teamed with Zelda. Her Usmash might make Dair easy to land?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Okay well i just took over this thread and will start working on adding collapsing threads on the OP so lets kick this thread back into gear.

Top Bottom