• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link in teams: Fight or Flight(Teaming with Pit)

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
When Samus is damage racking should Link defend her by keeping the other opponent away?
Samus is 100% defensive which means she has plenty of tools to get her out of harms way if it gets too tough. Dont really focus on saving/defending her because she is 7th heaviest in the game(so she wil live long) but top 5 floatiest(makes her recovery count alot more) in the game so she WILL come back to the stage without worry-ing.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Does Samus' fully charged shot clank with bombs or go right through them? On that note, will her missiles break our 'rang or boom?

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
Oh btw, bombs go through z-air. It's safe to throw a bomb and have Samus z-air through it. I'll post more about this tomorrow after I come home from school.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Wow this is some amazing help. Samus mains are the best! I'll get some replays of our team when it comes to tourney time.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, wow, tons of input! Awesome!

I have a lot of respect for Samus mains, since they all seem really cool. Plus, they play a character I couldn't use to save my life, haha. I actually want to try this team now, and I don't really play teams very much.

Xyro77

You mean Samus + Low tier character or Samus + Link Vs Low tier team?
This is the LINK board talking about samus teaming with LINK. What do u think? ROFL! Yes, samus+link+low tier teams=super fun

Ryos4

Smash Lord
if u do get a samus on your team. go for low tier teams. its super fun
Well being that this is a Link team thread. It was a bit confusing to say this. What other choice is there for a Link then to be in a low tier team with Samus?

Xyro77

Dont think too much into what people type. read it AS IS and u will understand is easily

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Now when you say "as is," Xyro, what exactly is it you're wanting us to infer out of this statement? And what exactly are you defining as "easily?" And if we're going there, you might want to be a little more clear with your definition of "type." :p

This does raise a good point though. It's probably good that we're doing the low tier characters first since Link is going to have more success here than in teams where every character is free game.

Xyro77

Now when you say "as is," Xyro, what exactly is it you're wanting us to infer out of this statement? And what exactly are you defining as "easily?" And if we're going there, you might want to be a little more clear with your definition of "type." :p
Though i know u are joking, please dont do any of that^ to my post. My posts are not hard to understand and do not have hidden meaning or thought put in it. Im a simple guy exaplining a simple game.

This does raise a good point though. It's probably good that we're doing the low tier characters first since Link is going to have more success here than in teams where every character is free game.

I dont wanna sound all emo or w/e but seriously, link/samus/jigg/low tier chars have VERY LITTLE chance of wrecking in reg teams in this day in age. I recommend you guys focus on LT teams because you guys can make some serious money there and have some SERIOUS fun. You dont have to deal with Tornadoes/21% f-tilts/farts/buckets/anubis strat/CGs or other ******** *** stuff. Its fun/fair and rewards your skills as being a good link player.

just my opinion.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I guess i'll wait till Scabe has his doubles matches before we move on. I assume he will have some sort of insight from playing Samus+Link team.

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
After reading all the information everybody has contributed. Samus and Link are actually a pretty good team.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
This team failed hardcore but it's mostly because we SD'd so many times that you would not believe, there's also this one match where we get spiked 6 times by Ness. FFFUUUU. :mad:

These matches will be uploaded.

There was alot of stuff we came up with but never actually pulled it off in teams. Like Samus does down throw to Link's Dair.

When we didn't SD so much, we had Samus planking and I do most of the fighting. I give this team like 3/10 maybe.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well in general, Samus and Link need alot of space to deal with opponents effectively, which i just dont see happening in a 2v2 setting. I feel its almost impossible to space perfectly when there are 2 opponents on stage and at any moment they other opponent can instantly mess up your spacing.

Rizen

Smash Legend

When we didn't SD so much, we had Samus planking and I do most of the fighting. I give this team like 3/10 maybe.
Are we rating these based on overall teams or teams that must include Link? Overall a team with Link won't get higher than (guessing) a 4.
Well in general, Samus and Link need alot of space to deal with opponents effectively, which i just dont see happening in a 2v2 setting. I feel its almost impossible to space perfectly when there are 2 opponents on stage and at any moment they other opponent can instantly mess up your spacing.
Samus- air, Link- low/ground.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Na its not rated based on teams, its rated by how well the characters can create a successful team based on the cast as a whole. You have to understand that we started from the bottom of the tier, soo most of these teams arnt going to be at the top. Also so far many of the characters we have evaluated so far aren't the best partners for Link. He probably needs someone who does well in the middle of the fray while Link supports. Or at least someone who can baby sit Link with ease while not putting themselves in any real danger. It would also really help if they could help Link make use of his powerful attacks. Which is probably what makes Zelda a good option. Can handle camping really well, and nice long duration attacks as well as huge hit stun to allow Link to land his more powerful attacks. Though their team might only work well on small stages.

I would assume the best teammate for Link would be somewhere along the lines of...
MK (obviously)
Wario (good recovery, good at close range, and aerial based)
G & W (good aerials, good recovery, and can easily help Link recover)
Ect.

Anyway, there will probably need adjustments to the ranking as more characters are discussed. I already adjusted a few characters already.

Edit: it seems like its time to move on. Anything else about Samus before we do. And any character in particular that we need/want to discuss next?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Luigi: Punish
Carry- 4
Stock Tank- 6
Punisher- 9
DPS- 8
Energy Projectile (Punish/DPS)

I'm gonna send an invite to Luigi's Boards to join us.

Anyway, i can imagine good things from this team. Especially with Link's ability to set up jab locks into Luigi's Firepunch.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Luigi's metagame hinges on getting inside the character's hitbox. Link's hinges on staying outside. Polar frickin' opposites. This oughta' be interesting.

Throwback

Smash Lord
It's pretty hard to tell how good the team is from those matches, we SD'd to the point that it didn't matter how good or bad the team was lol.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
The main issue with this team is that they can't help each other's recoveries. Both of them do pretty porly vs MK as well (but not terrible). Luigi can help with the Falco/Diddy's of teams and Link can help Luigi approach as said with projectiles. In general they play off of each others' weaknesses.

Link can force an approach, Luigi kills like a madman.
+ Both characters are terrific at DI
+ Link can help Luigi approach/ "combo"
+ Luigi helps with the Falco/Diddy/D3 matchups, a LOT.
+ Both characters do well vs MK when they can force MK to approach, teams force MK to approach in general.
+- It isn't a common team, people won't have experience vs it
- Recovery.
- Is it the best Link teammate, probably not
- It is one low tier, one mid-high tier, no tierwhoring for money, :p

Out of 10, I give it a 7.5 Lean more towards a 7 if the opponents have actually faced a good link team, more towards and 8 if they have not.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
@Scabe

Wow that Ness was spiking like a crazy in that match. Should i put that up in the thread video section or no seeing as there were alot of mistakes on your teams part that your opponent too really good advantage of?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link can launch up and Luigi's fast and powerful with air attacks. Luigi's easy air attack style will help him avoid Link and vice-versa.

To guess, I think G&W's Link's best partner. Luigi seems like a worse version of this team.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Luigi does really well at close range right?

Idk about Luigi being like G&W in terms of partners. G&W seems to be more about spacing his aerials, while Luigi appears to just want to jump straight into them and combo them to death.

Though i have to agree with G&W probably being Link's best partner. Maybe we will discuss him next.

NNID
LilG912
Ok, imo, I think this team is not good cuz you ain't guys have trouble when u guys fight up-close? Link and Luigi's recoveries are very predictable, easy to edgeguard Link's recovery, eh I hate to say that. Link can get juggled easily by a lot of characters. Luigi and Link is very gud @ DI, Link should be the tank stock of the team. Link helps out Luigi in approaching while Luigi helps Link in close range combat. The best stages for this team is mostly neutrals cuz Link totally needs his space to zair and use his projectiles. Link has a lot of trouble w/ his match-ups in doubles cuz they can take advantage of pressuring him, juggling him, and edgeguarding him which gives him no option to do anything @ all. Luigi and Link can't support each other. I give this team a 3.5/10

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Ok, imo, I think this team is not good cuz you ain't guys have trouble when u guys fight up-close? Link and Luigi's recoveries are very predictable, easy to edgeguard Link's recovery, eh I hate to say that. Link can get juggled easily by a lot of characters. Luigi and Link is very gud @ DI, Link should be the tank stock of the team. Link helps out Luigi in approaching while Luigi helps Link in close range combat. The best stages for this team is mostly neutrals cuz Link totally needs his space to zair and use his projectiles. Link has a lot of trouble w/ his match-ups in doubles cuz they can take advantage of pressuring him, juggling him, and edgeguarding him which gives him no option to do anything @ all. Luigi and Link can't support each other. I give this team a 3.5/10
It seems like his thoughts only really apply to Link in teams in general. And we all know Link isnt the greatest teammate in the first place. Easily juggled and gimped with bad close range options.

Though it is true that Luigi will have no means of helping Link recover as none of his aerials will actually send Link straight up, aside from Nair. Though it would probably put Luigi in a bad spot with its long duration. Link can help Luigi recover, though usually it wont be all that helpful, especially if he interferes at the wrong time and actually makes Luigi's recovery worse. All in all bombs is the only really help.

Though as a team, i do think they have some potential in general. If Link can work in jab locks or arrow locks as much as possible and then Luigi can just run around and fire punch everyone to death at a relatively early percent. Though the same could be done with a grab by pretty much anyone. But this way there is a little more mobility as well as the ability to just have Link do something as well.

With all that being said. I think Luigi could be decent. Definitely better then Link, Ganon, and Sheik. He may be around the same range as Toon Link without as much projectile interference and Luigi has better off stage gimping potential then TL. I would rate this as an average team, roughly 4-5.

Top Bottom