• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm ready with my boxing gloves. Bring out the champion!
and during brawl it was hard to see people shoot him down at every chance they got with "hes too boring" and things like that.
Was "he's boring" really what people used as an argument back then?

lol
How do you guys feel about getting a bigger/heavier/stronger/slower clone of Little Mac, maybe King Hippo?
Their fighting style is far too different for them to be similar though. King Hippo in particular has an unrealistic boxing style that is completely risky to a normal fighter but that's kinda his thing since he's supposed to be a beast, and having Mac's orthodox style would be out of character. I'd say the only other boxer with an orthodox fighting style as Mac would be Mr. Sandman, but even he's a bit odd. I wouldn't mind another boxer from Punch Out at all though, provided they're different. King Hippo would probably the best, but I'd much prefer Bald Bull or Sandman.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'm ready with my boxing gloves. Bring out the champion!

Their fighting style is far too different for them to be similar though. King Hippo in particular has an unrealistic boxing style that is completely risky to a normal fighter but that's kinda his thing since he's supposed to be a beast, and having Mac's orthodox style would be out of character. I'd say the only other boxer with an orthodox fighting style as Mac would be Mr. Sandman, but even he's a bit odd. I wouldn't mind another boxer from Punch Out at all though, provided they're different. King Hippo would probably the best, but I'd much prefer Bald Bull or Sandman.

I think I'd ideally see King Hippo as a unique character with the fighting style you describe. I'm fairly sure that King Hippo is the most iconic of the Punch Out villains, and he's certainly the most, uh, interesting... maybe he'd make a good story mode boss where you have to lure him into exposing his weakpoint.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I personally don't like King Hippo haha, but I have no objections to him. I'd reckon he'd be fun.

Also, if (or more like, when, no? ;) ) Mac is in, what design would you like him to based on? Something similar to the original, Brawl's or the Wii one? I personally want the Punch Out Wii design, tanned skin and all. Just has a lot of personality and charisma to it, compared to the bland original and the soulless Brawl one. I really like what Next Level games did with all the boxers designs in that game in general.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
How do you guys feel about getting a bigger/heavier/stronger/slower clone of Little Mac, maybe King Hippo?

Giga Mac :chuckle:
But seriously.. I LOVE Captain N. But I don't think it's a reason enough to warrant King Hippo, of all boxers. But hey... you won't see ME complaining if not just one, but TWO characters from Punch Out get in the game! Would love to see King Hippo duking it out with the big-weights!

His moves could rely on not only punching, but throwing pine apples and manhole-lids.

EDIT:

Looking at King Hippo closely... he gives me this huge Nintendo vibe out of his character design... and I can see why he's so iconic, Captain N aside I mean.
He could be an awesome addition once Little Mac is revealed.

D

Deleted member

But...he can't even get up after he's knocked down. :troll:

Aside from that, the day King Hippo gets sent flying in the sky from a Pound by Jigglypuff is the day I decide to lay off any caffeine for good. The sight of that is just too hilarious to imagine. :laugh:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I absolutely love the idea of King Hippo being playable in Smash. Ever since I saw that fake leak from December 2011 (I don't remember exactly), it was the fake leak that claimed the following new characters are in SSB4:

King K. Rool
Zoroark
Ghirahim
Little Mac
Saki Amamiya
King Hippo
Ridley
Prince Sable
Palutena
Professor Layton
Mega Man
Krystal
Slime (Dragon Quest)
Shulk
Sonic (another Sonic?! WTF)

I would be happy with King Hippo either as playable character, Assist Trophy, or Adventure Mode boss. I just want King Hippo to be part of the game (stickers/trophies don't count IMO).

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
"Great work Mac, now let's take down the next Super Smash Bros!"

I am very excited that we might see our boxer today!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Little Mac should have a system where catching his opponent off guard somehow makes his Star Punch more powerful. I have no idea how it would work though.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm so excited. Honestly I'm most excited about Doc coming with Mac and doing Doc things, because come on, Doc is a boss. I can't wait to see how he's incorporated into Mac's character, because I just know he will be!

So close!

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Little Mac could almost be considered the third revealed newcomer for SSBU.
That boxing ring stage wasn't there for no reason.

Little Mac shoots up to #1 most likely newcomer. I expect he will be one of the first DOJO reveals, if not the first.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Little Mac could almost be considered the third revealed newcomer for SSBU.
That boxing ring stage wasn't there for no reason.

Little Mac shoots up to #1 most likely newcomer. I expect he will be one of the first DOJO reveals, if not the first.

Yeah when I saw that Boxing Ring stage I was certain they would reveal Little Mac. I believe he's VERY likely of being playable now.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I was shocked Little Mac didn't appear after so much footage of his home stage was included, but now, it's basically a situation where everyone will predict him, if they didn't already, until the day he's confirmed.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
There's the oh so tiny microscopic chance that his stage got included without him Animal Crossing style.
But no, I think he's probably as good as confirmed.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
There's a difference between them though. At that time, they didn't have time to imagine an Animal Crossing character, and since the series has no violence whatsoever it made sense to get a stage first to represent it. Punch Out, though, is ALL about fighting, so naturally when you want to represent Punch Out you want a character.

Will eat crow if I'm wrong. But I'd say a Punch Out character is as good as confirmed. Loved the trailer!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
To be completely fair, boxing rings are in several different series. I honestly thought of the ring where you fight Dedede in Kirby Super Star.

Well, before seeing the Smash logo.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The crowds were human and it looked a lot like the world circuit boxing ring. I can't think of any other Nintendo series with a boxing ring that has human crowds and a big screen.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
But isn't it weird that they'd introduce Mac's stage before him? I'm not super confident that this trailer is a good thing for Little Mac, but I'm still hopeful... I mean, he's one of the few characters that I've been super optimistic about.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
All I know is that the new stage looks eerily similar to the Title Defense ring in Punch Out!! Wii.

Start observing around :19.

I think he's the closest thing to a shoe in now.

Kantrip

Kantplay
There's a chance it's a case like Smashville in Brawl, where AC got no characters but got a stage.

But in reality, I'm pretty sure Little Mac is getting in.

D

Deleted member

But isn't it weird that they'd introduce Mac's stage before him? I'm not super confident that this trailer is a good thing for Little Mac, but I'm still hopeful... I mean, he's one of the few characters that I've been super optimistic about.
You mean like how Brawl introduced Castle Siege before Ike?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
And aside from the Black Knight in the Middle form's background. It could have been ALMOST ANY Fire Emblem game represented.

I forget everything that was shown/the order and what not... I could've sworn they only showed the first stage of the level early on? In any case, it's not super relevant. I'm not even sure the Boxing Ring being linked to Little Mac is super important... it's a cool stage to show characters throwing down on, so maybe they just chose it because of that, regardless of character links.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
That boxing ring stage has potential for an event match where you have to fight King Dedede, King K. Rool, and Little Mac in a 1v1 match.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
That boxing ring stage has potential for an event match where have to fight King Dedede, King K. Rool, and Little Mac in a 1v1 match.

I'd mostly want to play as Little Mac and go through increasingly hilarious opponents one by one. I'm curious what sort of physical properties the side ropes have... are they solid walls, completely bypassable, or do they bounce launched enemies back?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'd mostly want to play as Little Mac and go through increasingly hilarious opponents one by one. I'm curious what sort of physical properties the side ropes have... are they solid walls, completely bypassable, or do they bounce launched enemies back?
That works too. I think it would be kind of strange if the ropes would be solid. If they are bouncy then I hope not too bouncy, I had this idea if the ropes were to bounce you towards your opponent horizontally then you could probably set up a chain grab. Which would ironically end up being King Dedede's best stage because of his boxing ring boss fight in one of the Kirby games. I can't wait to try this out next year.:awesome:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Donkey Kong's had boxing gloves. Just like Link's had a butterfly/bug catching net, and a shovel, and a slingshot, etc..

I don't think it means anything, in other words. Mac's chances remain a constant "Probably" until they show otherwise.

Genericmartini

Smash Cadet
Why is anyone basing anything off the past. We single handle got someone who was denied in the Villager and someone who really no one was expecting with the Wii Fit Trainer. Anything is possible and I wouldn't count Little Mac out just yet.

Edit: I don't especially think that the Villager having gloves will affect Mac's chances anymore really. It's not like no one else punches, and it's just a design aesthetic. Mac still has other special moves and isn't as one note as say Balloon Fighter, who only has his Balloons.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Only reason: Villager uses Balloon Fighter's balloons to recover, so his boxing gloves are probably a reference to Little Mac. I severely doubt Balloon Fighter will make the cut, so I think this lowers Little Mac's chances, if just by a bit.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'm rather certain that the gloves are representing Wii Sports... if they were Little Mac representation, they'd probably be green.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm rather certain that the gloves are representing Wii Sports... if they were Little Mac representation, they'd probably be green.
Why would the Villager represent Wii Sports? Especially if the Mii rumor is to be believed.
EDIT: Though I can't remember a bowling ball from AC (though it might've been there) so who knows anymore. Sakurai...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Why would the Villager represent Wii Sports? Especially if the Mii rumor is to be believed.
EDIT: Though I can't remember a bowling ball from AC (though it might've been there) so who knows anymore. Sakurai...

I'm not sure *why* the villager would be representing Wii Sports and Balloon Fighter, but somehow he seems to be. I don't get it either. I'm kind of hoping that the Mii is just plastering a custom face onto the Villager, ha.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not sure *why* the villager would be representing Wii Sports and Balloon Fighter, but somehow he seems to be. I don't get it either. I'm kind of hoping that the Mii is just plastering a custom face onto the Villager, ha.
At least Balloon Fighter makes more sense than Wii Sports, as Balloon Fight was one of the NES titles in the original AC.

But seems there was technically a bowling ball item in AC. Sorta.

Still...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
At least Balloon Fighter makes more sense than Wii Sports, as Balloon Fight was one of the NES titles in the original AC.

But seems there was technically a bowling ball item in AC. Sorta.

Still...

Yeah, more than anything his shtick seems to be "I've collected a bunch of different items, teehee! Watch me take them out and hit you with them!"
Which I guess is a little different than G&W's shtick of "I've collected a bunch of different 2D items (and a turtle)!"

In any case, red gloves are a reference to boxing specifically, green gloves would be referencing Little Mac. I'm not too worried yet.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Oh please. If anything, Villager has gloves so Sakurai can take and post multiple photos of Little Mac and Villager punching at each other, like he's already done with Villager and Bowser.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Oh please. If anything, Villager has gloves so Sakurai can take and post multiple photos of Little Mac and Villager punching at each other, like he's already done with Villager and Bowser.

Really, the entire point of Smash Bros for Sakurai is to take funny pictures of the characters. Rumor has it that he's starting up a "Cute cats & Smash Bros" calendar. :)

The event match where Little Mac takes on all comers should start with him knockin' the gloves off of the Villager.

Man, I'm still hoping that Little Mac is hilariously short... I know that's not gonna happen, but still. It'd be so great having a tiny scrapper like him in the game.

Top Bottom