• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Zori

Smash Champion
It's really a double edged sword.. I guess your assuming that he will have lack if banan control, buy side -b will **** us. We can also kill really early but can die early. If you feel comfortable on it use it

Geddan

Smash Ace
okay i have a question, this is not a troll question at all, this is ABSOLUTELY 100% legit.

how do you think when you play?

all i know is how to autopilot, and sometimes i guess i do a semi autopilot where i autopilot but i still am able to pick up on stuff, but it's not like i'm ever actually thinking at all. people tell me this is bad in brawl.

halp pweze, any advice would help. ANY, like i have no idea where to start. examples, or anything...
like once i start using my brain when i play i'm pretty sure i'll be doing A LOT BETTER. okay thanks in advance.

Denti

Smash Master
I was thinking this question to myself a few days ago and i realized I can't give 100% of myself when i look at the match as if i was spectating. That sounds weird i guess but i can say try to avoid auto piloting. Just try never to lose focus on whats going to hurt your character and what all your surroundings are. Do this and you'll eventually overcome auto piloting. As for the mind games you'll develop, those are yours to figure out how to implement. Pushing your barrier of focus will eventually build to habit.

Frio

Smash Champion
When I play I'm pretty much focused on my opponent and trying to read his or her pattern. It's pretty much as Denti said, you don't want to start auto piloting. Just try to figure out your opponent and see what works against him and what doesn't. If you auto pilot you will probally keep doing stuff that doesn't work and get punished for it.

dahighii

Smash Apprentice
Question: I don't spotdodge often, and I feel my game could improve if I implemented it more. What situation is the best to use this in? Which characters will it work best against? What's the best follow-up attack/counter/evasive action?

Geddan

Smash Ace
Question: I don't spotdodge often, and I feel my game could improve if I implemented it more. What situation is the best to use this in? Which characters will it work best against? What's the best follow-up attack/counter/evasive action?
Powershielding and even sitting in shield is always better IMO than spotdodging. It's probably good that you don't spotdodge much since it's just another means of begging to be punished at high levels of play. Spotdodging is only good IMO if you want to avoid getting grabbed, since a throw for oli can always lead to being in a disadvantageous position.

dahighii

Smash Apprentice
Powershielding and even sitting in shield is always better IMO than spotdodging. It's probably good that you don't spotdodge much since it's just another means of begging to be punished at high levels of play. Spotdodging is only good IMO if you want to avoid getting grabbed, since a throw for oli can always lead to being in a disadvantageous position.
Lol now that you say that, it makes a lot of sense; generally whenever I DO spotdodge I end up getting hit right after. Of course I also time it poorly and usually end up very obvious but whatev :/

Another question, but more specific: what should Oli do about Mario fireballs? A friend of mine usually SHs fireballs to approach/push me towards the edge. Usually I just try to time a dash through them to grab him once he hits the ground.

Iron Asian

Smash Rookie
I've noticed that there is no matchup info on D3 (at least that I've found). Recently I fought a D3 in a tourney who basically only spammed grabs. He was good at buffering because even if I attack him from behind, he was able to perfect shield and turn around and grab very quickly (something I've never seen before). I know Oli has a favorable matchup against him so I basically spammed grabs and Pikmin throw. The only problem with this is even though I forced the D3 to approach, I still had a problem with killing him (due to Stale Moves). While I would normally use Upsmash, he was careful to avoid hovering over me. Also the downsmash would mean that I would have to be close to him, meaning again I would most likely get grabbed. So my question is: are there any methods any of you used to kill a grab-spammy opponent such as this one?

dahighii

Smash Apprentice
Camp him with side b. He should never be pressuring you to the edge with fireballs. Lol
Ha, guess I should be more specific. I do camp him with side b, except in order to intercept his SH fireballs I have to SH side b. While I'm taking care of those and hopefully getting one or two latched on, he inches closer to try to land an upsmash (or occasionally other attacks) while i'm still in the air; this pops me up, which is not a great place for an Oli to be

Noa.

Smash Master
If killing is such a problem, don't go for the kill. Just play it safe and camp hard. If you play very safe, DDD has to put himself out there to kill you and he's open for your kill.

@dahighii

Spacing is very important when camping. What you do is just watch very closely. If he's close enough to punish your side B, then don't side B. At the range he should be too close to fireball safely.

Noa.

Smash Master
One of the best ways to imrpove your mindset has to do with outside the game. If yiu want to improve rapidly, go to as many tournies as possible. If there aren't enough, then host a tourney.

Eat correctly with a three square meal. Sleep before the day of the tourney.

Have confidence that you will be playing to the best of your ability. Don't get overconfident and completely fool yourself onto thinking you can win easily.

If you aren't playing well during a match, just stop playing for three seconds and get your thoughts in order.

Zori

Smash Champion
i didnt know that i changed the thread to

Draconoa44's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

lol jp :d

Geddan

Smash Ace
thanks for the advice

for the sake of keeping things moving, i have a question about moveset decay. i never bothered to actually learn the details about it... if you die, is the counter reset?

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Denti check my guide on the impact thread for marth help.

Guys i faced this crappy wolf on the aib ladder. He spammed lazer and rolled behind ,me and dsmash. I have no idea on how to win the mu. Can someone help. This wolf was very **** yet i still lost to the guy.

Denti

Smash Master
i'll check it out.

okay bob, i was in your shoes 1-2 weeks ago about wolf. now posting that here will only make them say "stop playing wolfs on wifi" which is partially true because wifi wolf is dumb to deal with. but stay on the ground and camp side B. Staying on the ground camping side B out camps wolf because our side B beats his lazer and is faster than his lazer plus being in the air makes us predictable to wolfs. forcing wolf to approach will make your world much easier. also during recovery stay on the ledge of the stage camping side B isn't a bad choice, they'll either get loads of damage or hit pikmin off and give u and opening to recover. yellow F smash absorbs lazers and still hits them. their down smash spam is similar to MKs, so just run away from that or short hop and do an incomplete nair to up smash.

Iron Asian

Smash Rookie
Don't worry Wolf is a very c-stick oriented character aside from the laser spam. Here's some tips: You can chain grab Wolf. Grab>Dthrow>Grab>Dthrow>Run foward and grab>Dthrow>Grab>Dthrow...etc. I'm not sure when Wolf can get out of this but its about 40-60%. Just make sure to do a running grab after every 2nd throw. Also remember that his Fsmash beats out urs. Make sure to shield grab it because its very slow and if u have proper spacing, you'll know when he's going to use his fsmash. In regards to the Wolf spamming Dsmash: one of Wolf's only reliable KO moves is the Dsmash which means if he keeps spamming it, he'll suffer move decay. And when hes off the stage his UpB is easily edgeguarded and even if you don't, if it's a bad Wolf (like you said), they'll prolly screw it up and suicide anyway.

febs

Smash Cadet
do you guys have a player finder thread? couldnt find it in the directory

Denti

Smash Master
so i feel like i've become snake ********.

what neutrals should we take him too? i know sv isn't one of them. and what CPs are the best? plz and thank u

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Battlefield's the best neutral to try to strike snake to. PS1's the next best if it's on the starter list. If not, YI, FD, and SV are pretty much all preference. SV is better than FD, I really don't know because every snake let's me strike to battlefield lol. In all honesty I would say smashville would be the next best.

As for counterpicks, Delfino works the best for me against snake. The size, alterations of the terrain, increase in purples, and the fact that it's oftentimes difficult for snake to adapt to the changes, it's a solid stage to take snake to. Pictochat works amazing too, if it's legal there. Battlefield if you didn't beat him there on the neutral. Uh.. most of the rest would be personal preference I suppose.

Denti

Smash Master
idk why but i really dislike picto chat, ya'll really love it so i'm probably missing out on something great..

@hilt - i disagree about SV. snake generally doesn't gimp olimar, he kills him normally. since SV is a smaller stage i think olimar would die earlier. snake generally gets hit by our smashes and throws a lot so killing him on a bigger stage wouldn't be too much of a problem. but delfino seems good. snakes are starting to beat my on the neutral so i'm having to counterpick them and i just now realized i don't know where to take them. i generally switch up FD and BF on my CP according to how i see their play style. but delfino seems solid now that you say so

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Nah, you need to keep pressure on snake, not try to outcamp him at long range. Smashville isn't that small, either. Battlefield is a lot smaller. But the platforms make a bigger difference on it. Also snake kills us off the top and all of the neutrals and neutral/counterpicks have the same celing height, sans parts of castle seige and halberd.

Top Bottom