• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mafia Barhouse Sleepover: "Hey Town, drinks are on me!"

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS can you explain your vote on Virgilijus? And also explain why you wanted him to post that 3-liner? He gave his thoughts on the recent discussion so I don't see how that makes him "useless" when other players have hardly posted thus far. Do you think the haiku form is prohibiting him from properly contributing and if he continues posting like that will you just keep your vote on him? You unvoted nix for this and I fail to see how he's been more productive, as his last post was just a sarcastic response to chibo.

Also, are you only going to look at posts at a surface level to determine if it's scummy or not? Because that's the feeling I got from your 111 and i strongly disagree with it.

To add to tom's list nix needs to post also.
For those unaware, a haiku has 5 syllables, 7 syllables, and 5 syllables. What I wanted Virg to post was not a Haiku, and thus would break a posting restriction if he has one. I'm aware Virg knows what a haiku is and, given who he is, it is unlikely it is a posting restriction given by the game but rather self-inflicted.

As such, him refusing to simply copy/paste something should result in him explaining that he can't, or him just saying "no, I dun wanna". The "No, I dun wanna" response doesn't inspire confidence in me. I have to sift through a spiderweb of connections on a consistent basis already. I'm not going to sift through it while decoding haikus.

If you think I'm looking at things on a surface level, you either don't know me very well or aren't paying attention.

A) if you really want to know, read the thread I made specifically for the purpose of telling people what's going on with me (yes, I realize you are just trying to get me out of the game. Sorry, no such luck)

B) playing a game requires less activity, bbcode, and use of word/notepad than modding, all of whic makes it hard for me to mod on my phone.

Satisfied?
With your illogical behavior, yes.

Os, you are a character. But just sayin "all according to plan" or anything likewise doesn't mean you actually saw it coming. As fun as it is watching you try to get scummy responses out of people (and then pretending they've passed some sort of test when they don't answer scummily), trying to draw an emotional and scummy response out of me, and just generally leaving every single option open for later so you can say "oh yeah, but I said I'd do that d1", I think I'll point them out for what they are:scummy scummy and scummy.
Again, your logic knows no bounds.

"OS is a jerk to me! He makes fun of me cuz I do dumb stuff and make huge AtEs as a mod for some reason! I'll vote for him!"

You truly are a detective Ronike. Let me know how your "I'll vote for anyone who doesn't ignore my blatant failings" strategy works out, hm?

Oh, by the by? Tom and I have both had the same approach to Q&A (although Tom's has come across more from leading statements, much fewer question marks), yet you've singled me out. Good show, Detective.

Seriously though. You can at least pretend I don't have complete control over your emotions. You're gonna get me side-tracked from scum hunting ^_^

And as always, the standard OS posting list:

Code:
User Name Posts 
Tom  29 
FYC ChiboSempai  14 
Overswarm  13 
Gheb_01  10 
Ronike  8 
Virgilijus  7 
Steel  7 
KevinM  5 
[B]Rockin  5 [/B]
SummonerAU  5 
frozenflame751  5 
Nix2100  4 
mentosman8  3 
MenoUnderwater  3 
(。◕‿‿◕。)  1 
Omis  1
Anyone with less posts than the mod generally needs to step it up. As always, post # alone doesn't mean anything (Flame is posting lots of substance with fewer posts, for instance), but if you do happen to be someone (Nix, Mentos, Meno) that has a low post count and a low contribution rate, please step your game up.

To reiterate my warning, I try to remove inactives on D1 if there isn't a lynch candidate with scummy behavior worth noting. If you stay inactive until people start voting for you because of it and then try to save your own skin, it won't work. You can find something to post about by now... just ask questions.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Nice throwing around suspicion there chibo
It's not suspicion, Detective. It's an assessment of a situation. You pulled a deliberate OMGUS vote and he said "you made an OMGUS vote"; OMGUS votes are generally bad because they're dumb.

It has nothing to do with him even calling you "scummy" or throwing suspicion of any sort. He just articulated what you did. =P

Ronike

Smash Ace
Also, just want to bring it up that now OS is actively avoiding accusations. Ff he just ignores, me he makes out as an idiot with no relevant points.

Also, I'd like to note that while, yes, Id love to see os lynched for personal reasons, I also would love to see his flip for game related reasons as well, that I feel would be best not specified

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
If you think I'm looking at things on a surface level, you either don't know me very well or aren't paying attention.
From two of your posts directed at Tom you basically said "if the actions are anti-town he needs to be lynched." I felt like that meant you are disregarding whether that's a town just making a mistake or an actual scum mistake. I feel like your vote on Virgilijus is only because he bugs you with how he is posting. Do you actually sense scummy intentions coming from him because he "didn't want to" post what you asked him?

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
From two of your posts directed at Tom you basically said "if the actions are anti-town he needs to be lynched." I felt like that meant you are disregarding whether that's a town just making a mistake or an actual scum mistake. I feel like your vote on Virgilijus is only because he bugs you with how he is posting. Do you actually sense scummy intentions coming from him because he "didn't want to" post what you asked him?
QFT atleast 100 times.

Doing something anti-town does not absolutely warrant being lynched, nor does it necessitate scumminess. Townies do anti-town stuff all the time, both intentionally and accidentally. If town people were never anti-town, they'd never lose.

A HUGE part of mafia is differentiating "dumb town play", or townies who are just making mistakes or being tricked, from bad play from scum with anti-town INTENT. I say this in like every freaking game I play and somehow there manages to be one person who doesn't seem to get it in each game.

OS, you say the list is a priori anti-town because it has the potential to be presented in a non-value neutral (and thereby statistically flawed, which I do agree with) manner. This isn't the case however. To expect the chart to be 100% flawless, and if it isn't, automatically label Meno as scummy is a horrendously flawed approach to his play. If anything, you should WELCOME him creating such a chart because when he does post it, that will give everyone on the game some very nice concrete material to analyze and ultimately discuss whether or not it was presented in a fair way, if it was flawed was it intended to be so, etc.

The chart is not inherently anti-town. If anything I think it could be a huge help in allowing us to catch scum, whether it be by Meno blatantly skewing things and screaming "I'm scum!" for us, or by giving us some strong material to discuss and garner reactions from others. And hell, if it isn't skewed at all and intent analysis doesn't really get us anywhere, atleast we'll have a baller ****ing chart from which we can better explore connections among players and crystallize reads.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Scummy intentions and bad play are generally on the same level on D1, as stated earlier. Virg is currently useless, and will continue to be so. His posting style is inherently unhelpful and undescriptive, making it good for scum and bad for town regardless of his alignment.

If someone comes up as scummy throughout all this, then sure... I'll vote for them. But for now, Virg is worse than an inactive and my vote will stay on him until I'm given a strong inclination to do otherwise.

QFT atleast 100 times.

Doing something anti-town does not absolutely warrant being lynched, nor does it necessitate scumminess. Townies do anti-town stuff all the time, both intentionally and accidentally. If town people were never anti-town, they'd never lose.

A HUGE part of mafia is differentiating "dumb town play", or townies who are just making mistakes or being tricked, from bad play from scum with anti-town INTENT. I say this in like every freaking game I play and somehow there manages to be one person who doesn't seem to get it in each game.

OS, you say the list is a priori anti-town because it has the potential to be presented in a non-value neutral (and thereby statistically flawed, which I do agree with) manner. This isn't the case however. To expect the chart to be 100% flawless, and if it isn't, automatically label Meno as scummy is a horrendously flawed approach to his play. If anything, you should WELCOME him creating such a chart because when he does post it, that will give everyone on the game some very nice concrete material to analyze and ultimately discuss whether or not it was presented in a fair way, if it was flawed was it intended to be so, etc.

The chart is not inherently anti-town. If anything I think it could be a huge help in allowing us to catch scum, whether it be by Meno blatantly skewing things and screaming "I'm scum!" for us, or by giving us some strong material to discuss and garner reactions from others. And hell, if it isn't skewed at all and intent analysis doesn't really get us anywhere, atleast we'll have a baller ****ing chart from which we can better explore connections among players and crystallize reads.
The chart's a bad idea to begin with. Making it privately is awesome; I've done something similar myself in one of the games here. Making it public? Not so awesome.

It's like adding a ton of discussion on fluff into the game on D3. It is just a derailing of what actual scum hunting has gone on into a zone of WIFOM. "Oh hey, Tom and Flame have never spoken, but Flame and Ronike have been buddying up over and over again! Could there be a connection?!"

You don't know. You're guessing with information like that. It'd have to be really well done to be useful in the slightest (if it doesn't have a timeline I give it a C-), and if there are any mistakes in it whatsoever that change the meaning it shouldn't even be posted.

To reiterate:

Posting a faulty chart of "connections" based on someone's own personal criteria is just as useless, if not moreso, than someone coming into a discussion on D3 or D4 and saying "here are the people I think people have buddied up with or distanced themselves from". Hell, more accurately, it's like me posting a post count list and saying "people that don't post a lot are scum!" and then leaving it at that. It doesn't give any information, just causes bickering. If you're gonna do it, do it right, or don't do it at all.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
This is no surprise;
Overswarm is Overswarm
In every facet.

My posts aren't riddles
Don't want to read them? Your choice
Foolish, but your choice

I am not useless
Tom has all ready explained
Jump to conclusions?

Ronike, calm down pal
This is a new game; play smart
Rash actions detract

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It doesn't help I had to teach haiku writing to a bunch of high schoolers -_-;;

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you posted content, I'd vote based on that.

But you don't.

Thus I vote on that.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
You claim no content
Yet you understand my posts
And can discuss it

The sole question asked
From you to me was answered
Is that not content?

All of the others
Seem to lack your own insight,
Master of poems

Are you then saying
That poems have no content?
Surely you must jest

Well, jest... or backtrack
Upon realizing they can.
I'd bet the later.

Nix2100

Smash Rookie
I believe the game has reached the point where each player can have at least something pertinent to this game to comment about every other player. No excuses anymore.
Easy for you to say =P I've always been bad at the start of these games.

Vote: Nix

Anything is possible. Step your game up.
So wait a second.....your voting me because I made a comment on how I have yet to see different mafia factions? Feel free to prove me wrong and make a link to where you have ever seen 2 different mafia factions in the same game.....

Nope! Haven't read any of the previous games yet.
This sort of bugs me....since you said previously that you are assuming this is a all female game, for what reason did you assume this logic? Also, Have you answered Tom's question yet? I would also be slightly curious as to what you would do if someone claimed they were a male character. If you did answer it then I must of missed it somewhere.....

I'm also curious...with all these "Right answer" and "Good choice" stuff your throwing about...what would you do if someone gave the wrong answer? Would you automatically attempt to lynch them? What if they misunderstood the question? Would you care or automatically assume they are lying and you caught them in some weird scum trap?

looking forward to posts by mentosman, frozenflame, summoner, steel, ronike, junglefever
What not looking forward to my posts? =( Im hurt.....Also is it just me or is your relationship with Kevin brought up in like....every single game your both in......

Also...I think i said this before...I can't post when I am at work...so stop saying you want to hear more from me when I can't even read anything until I get home at 5pm EST >_>

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm also curious...with all these "Right answer" and "Good choice" stuff your throwing about...what would you do if someone gave the wrong answer? Would you automatically attempt to lynch them? What if they misunderstood the question? Would you care or automatically assume they are lying and you caught them in some weird scum trap?
I wouldn't say anything until later and would make a note of it.

Nix2100

Smash Rookie
Slowly build up a case against someone? Fair enough....though it seems kind of odd compared to what you want to do with inactives vs slightly scummy people and Meno's chart.

Still waiting on the other answers though.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Slowly build up a case against someone? Fair enough....though it seems kind of odd compared to what you want to do with inactives vs slightly scummy people and Meno's chart.
Different types of actions result in different strategies.

One of the most common mafia strategies is to post some sort of plan and convince town to go along with it. It's pretty easy to do. Seeing as how mafia is several people knowing how this plan works and gets to plan it out in advance, it's up to town to not only determine how this plan ISN'T in town's favor, but also to determine whether or not it's scummy play or just dumb-town play. Meno's chart isn't inherently helpful and there are too many degrees of separation between guaranteed town and his chart for me to say "sure, that's a great idea". It only takes one townie to say "this is great" before it results in a mislynch. If Meno screws up with his data, he'd be the one I'd want to have as a mislynch. He's either mafia, in which case... gotcha. Or, he's town, in which case we know he admittedly attempted to make a good chart without omitting information on purpose. Which would then make a previously useless chart useful.

D1, there's little to no difference. There aren't enough connections to determine for sure if something is scummy or bad play if you're playing with good players. Even with bad players its hard. That's why I push for inactives unless someone shows up as scummy for D1.

Still waiting on the other answers though.
Which one? I'm not a fan of question strings. They're loaded questions, inherently. I'm also unsure of which of Tom's questions you're asking about. He kind of asked a lot of them.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Scummy intentions and bad play are generally on the same level on D1, as stated earlier.
...Disagreed.

Virg is currently useless, and will continue to be so. His posting style is inherently unhelpful and undescriptive, making it good for scum and bad for town regardless of his alignment.

If someone comes up as scummy throughout all this, then sure... I'll vote for them. But for now, Virg is worse than an inactive and my vote will stay on him until I'm given a strong inclination to do otherwise.
Virg is still giving his thoughts through his poetry, just in a condensed form. How this is worse than say, mentosman or jungle at this point in the game is something you're going to have to explain to me.

If we were to follow you and vote Virg, and he flipped town, this is all in all a good thing for us?

@Nix

Star Wars Mafia had Imperial and Hutt mafia!

Nix2100

Smash Rookie
@OS - Referring to your actions if someone actually claimed (seriously) a male role. Suppose it doesn't really matter as it's highly unlikely considering Rockin's previous sleepover games.

@Steel - Was that game here in smash-boards? I can't find it.

Nix2100

Smash Rookie
hmm fair enough....though wasn't that game just a test to see if it was possible? Regardles, I retract my statement and say it is totally plausible for there to be two different mafia factions >_>

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
tom u had 2 indie siblings in one of ur own games...

why r ppl even speculizing about the setup? what good does it do us when discussion could be spent better other ways...

As Tom said it's a way to ge tthings rolling. It's a good way to see how people think and what people are thinking about hte game in the beginning.

WHY ARE YOU EDITING!

well thats good actually, b/c now u didnt edit, u double posted lol

i guess there was sarcasm now that u mention it lol. idk whats better yet as of right now, its just that i think setup questions are useless because we have 0 anything to go off of so it is a completely useless conversation. once we see a flip, maybe we can take that into consideration for other things.

once ppl get to ur questions others can analyze them and stuff which is good, but some of ur questions/statements are pretty loaded like "hey guy" or "tell me your town"

I'll pose some questions for these people to give em something to do.

Meno - what games have you done the chart thing in before? Name all plz if possible. +brownie points if you gimme links to em lol
Mentos - prime discussion for day 1 is... GO!
Nix - what do you plan to add to the discussion?

**** it i just realized like everything u said was a statement
only like 3 ppl got questions lol
Again, I think you're under the misconception that Tom was trying to draw conclusions from the set up discussion about the actual set up. Speculating what a set up could be does not equal coming to a conclusion, and as long as the whole day isn't spent speculating on the set up, I don't really see why it's a problem.

Os, you are a character. But just sayin "all according to plan" or anything likewise doesn't mean you actually saw it coming. As fun as it is watching you try to get scummy responses out of people (and then pretending they've passed some sort of test when they don't answer scummily), trying to draw an emotional and scummy response out of me, and just generally leaving every single option open for later so you can say "oh yeah, but I said I'd do that d1", I think I'll point them out for what they are:scummy scummy and scummy.

unvote vote:os
cool omgus there ronike
^^ how's ronikes vote an OMGUS? not seein it.

Not liking OS's general take on things. The scummy intentions = bad play thing didn't sit well with me, but right now I'll

vote: Chibo

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Jungle singling out Chibo is interesting.

Bad play is on the same level as scummy intentions on day 1, nine times out of ten. Occasionally you get lucky and someone really goofs up... but generally scummy play looks the exact same as standard bad play by town. There is no depth to scummy actions on D1. After the flip and NKill then sure, there can be a huge difference. But on D1 pre-flip? You're kidding yourself if you think you can easily tell the difference between someone making a mistake and someone merely pretending to make a mistake. It's all guesswork on D1 unless someone really goofs up.

As such, get the flip that gives you the most benefit for town. Sometimes this is a player with mayn connections, sometimes this is an inactive, sometimes its a guy that puts arbitrary usage of freshman-in-high-school-level poetry above speaking clearly.

It's not that complicated. You want a lynch day 1, always. To go "no lynch" is to be suicidal, your chances drop by a ridiculous degree if that's the case. When observing who to lynch, no one will ever be able to tell the difference between scum pretending to make a dumb mistake and town making a dumb mistake.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
unvote vote Virgilijus

Useless player. My lynch suggestion for D1.

My vote stays on you until you clean up your act, admit to a posting restriction, or are killed.

Also, traditional haiku involve nature.
No, wrong. This may be the third arbitrary status quo you have established for a lynch that has absolutely nothing to do with alignment. We are scum-hunting, Overswarm. The fact that Virg is posting in haiku has nothing to do with his ability to discern between town and scum, it has nothing to do with his ability to contribute to discussion, and most importantly it has nothing to do with his alignment. Bottom-line: it does not make him more likely to be scum. It's also not even detrimental to town. I've played a game entirely with a player who put all his posts through Translation Party so that it was a Japanenglish jumble and he was still able to contribute and was still town aligned. This is a miniature version of that, and by miniature I mean completely managable and actually kind of fun.

This is the last thing I want to see on this issue, besides a response from you agreeing with me: by focusing on Virgilijus' posting style, you are allowing us to simply talk about haikus when we discuss him. That is not his doing, that is currently yours and the blame falls on anyone who insists he cannot communicate or vote the way he is playing. When I think about Virgilijus, I want to think about the stances he has taken in this game; when I see Virgilijus post, I want to see him take stances for or against other players in this game. I do not want to see discussion about how he is talking and why it is acceptable.

His alignment is irrelevant when his actions are anti-town by default. The only exception is if we can clear him as town. Otherwise, he'd need to be lynched.
No.

Someone who is town aligned and makes a mistake or anti-town action will not always have anti-town intentions and will not always act on anti-town intentions.

Lynching a townie who makes a mistake is making another mistake. We are trying to lynch the mafia, not the people who are making overt mistakes during the day.

I'd also like to ask you what you are accomplishing by goading Ronike. It's not entertaining, it's not enlightening, and it's not informational. So far I have seen him slip absolutely no scum-tells while you personally further some sort of grudge the two of you have. Overswarm, I expect you to be the one to squash it, because I expect you to be a good player.

I agree it's incredibly difficult to mod via phone, but less activity to play? I STRONGLY disagree with that.
cool omgus there ronike
Ronike I really think you need to stray away from voting and attacking based on personal reasons.
Chibo, why don't you please talk about something other than Ronike? Maybe the other 12 players that should interest you?

Not sure how much I really approve of these lengthy discussion and explanations of what Tom would do as scum ideally. So incredibly WIFOM loaded that it isn't funny. I find it interesting that a lot of this discussion has been pretty WIFOM loaded, but then Tom comes out and says "there's plenty for people to respond to now so no excuses" when a lot of it has either been pretty mucky WIFOM, or the contesting of principal mafia gameplay tenets.

It's constructive matter, but not exactly the best for enabling good discussion. Don't try and paint what you've been discussing as something that's better than it is Tomothy.
That wasn't my intent. I went through the player list and was able finally to ascribe actions/ideas/opinions (or in two distinct cases, inactivity) to players, so I wanted to encourage activity by outwardly expecting everyone else to do the same.

I probably shouldn't have gone through the player list and talked about what I would do as scum, but that was just part of my back-and-forth with Overswarm. Regardless, it isn't currently a focus of discussion (nor was it really when you wrote this) and I feel like we are actually getting the ball rolling here away from WIFOM. But I understand your concerns.

Actually I could probably be swayed to lynch OS.
Good to see were still on the same page.

Scummy intentions and bad play are generally on the same level on D1, as stated earlier. Virg is currently useless, and will continue to be so. His posting style is inherently unhelpful and undescriptive, making it good for scum and bad for town regardless of his alignment.

No, this is all wrong.

Usually when a player makes a mistake Day 1, he is a townie making a mistake. Common sense dictates:

1. everyone makes mistakes
2. there are more townies than mafia

But even in execution and not just theory, usually mafia are lynched Day 1, usually when someone makes a simple mistake its not because they are thinking pro-scum but because they are grasping to find the scum. Remember that townies are part of the uninformed majority, and a single townie alone is an uninformed individual surrounded by people he is expected to evaluate.

I don't know why you think the opposite, but you are wrong.

If you don't believe you are wrong, then at least take the word of everyone else disagreeing with you that AT LEAST here in DGames, it is the way we are telling you it is. I could also argue for MS, for EpicMafia, etc, and I'm sure others here could argue for AllIsBrawl. But that is just acquiescing that if you can't accept it in general, accept it in our microcosm.

Sadly I need to cut this post short. Gotta go on a date with the girl.

Want to see Mentos and Summoner.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer

Bad play is on the same level as scummy intentions on day 1, nine times out of ten. Occasionally you get lucky and someone really goofs up... but generally scummy play looks the exact same as standard bad play by town. There is no depth to scummy actions on D1. After the flip and NKill then sure, there can be a huge difference. But on D1 pre-flip? You're kidding yourself if you think you can easily tell the difference between someone making a mistake and someone merely pretending to make a mistake. It's all guesswork on D1 unless someone really goofs up.
You've pitched this "scummy intentions and bad play are on the same level D1" over and over again yet you offer no analysis to show what the "same level" even is, and why that's the case.

We've continually told you over and over again that discerning scummy intent from player's posts is crucial and a good game of mafia. Fundamentally, having scummy intent and making a stupid mistake or being tricked are different, and it's up to good scum hunters to figure those two scenarios out.

I think what you're trying to say is that actions with scummy intent look just like stupid mistakes, in which case I think we all agree with you, at least on D1. But that DOES NOT carry over to the scummyness of those things. Just because two actions looks similar and might seem "equally anti-town" on the surface, doesn't mean they are equally anti-town through and through.

You're throwing these sweeping statements around like "there's no depth to scummy actions on D1" with absolutely no backing analysis. If by no depth you mean that the scum can't be trying to enact and provoke certain actions and reactions, or otherwise work toward their win condition, you're just flat out wrong, or you've been playing with some really bad mafia partners. From the get go mafia are going to be working to establish a comfortable position for themselves to be in and guide discussion the way they wanna see it go. If I'm understanding you properly when you say "depth" (and I can't really be blamed if I'm not, since again, no analysis to work with) then you're just plain wrong.

Like he resounding theme of your posts is "if you are playing or posting in a way that I don't like on the surface, you're anti-town because you're making it tough for me to read or interact with you" or something along those lines. Just because the way someone chooses to express themselves doesn't jive with you doesn't make them scummy. We can all look to Babyjesus for a perfect example of that.

Your entire argument against the chart being made public is this fear mongering stance that contends if he publishes the chart later in the game, it'll distract us from our scumhunting. That's so wrong.

If we have strong leads in the future, and Meno tries to interrupt that scumhunting, that tells us something AND we don't have to get distracted by it. We just keep following our leads. It's called self-control. If we DON'T have strong leads, then the chart could be the perfect remedy to a stagnating game. Like I said earlier, if the chart has flaws, they can be pointed out and discussed. The charts is FAR from fluff, and if I were Meno I'd be insulted that you'd even try to draw that comparison. The chart, as far as it has been described, would be a catalog of all sorts of interactions between all players throughout the game. How could that possibly be bad for discussion? You're just trying to make it seem like it would be bad because some people might get distracted by it and any strong leads we have might disappear, which is pretty ludicrous IMO.

*sigh* Arguing about all this gameplay related stuff really throws my scumdar for a loop. It can be really hard to tell when people are trying to push strategy agendas in order to encourage bad town play and enable scum victory, or if they're just subborn as hell and won't back down on even the most flawed of principal gameplay stances. >_<

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Hi Tom, Summoner was sleeping so he couldn't come out to play. I guess I could prod him a little to see if he wakes up but I dunno if he even wants to wake up.

Overswarm, aren't we all looking for lynch targets? geez leave Ronike alone if you know what you're saying is going to 'provoke' him in an nonconstructive way. Oh, if you were looking for his reaction, does his reaction to you make you think he's scum or town? How did you expect him to react and what were you expecting his reaction to reveal to you?

Tom, everyone could fool me :( (I'm not even joking) Vanilla Townie is my favourite role.

Chibo, why did you feel the need to post your most recent post? I don't think it added anything at all but you though you need to add it so whatever.

FoS Gheb

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Because Tom seems to think my posts @ Ronike were wrong or bad

and he should know I've done more than just that this game. A lot of the earliest part of the day was me and Tom talking.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I did nothing wrong Tom
You're just ranking on Ronike right now...

Tom's just looking for a lynch target, Chibo.
What do you mean by this?

*sigh* Arguing about all this gameplay related stuff really throws my scumdar for a loop. It can be really hard to tell when people are trying to push strategy agendas in order to encourage bad town play and enable scum victory, or if they're just subborn as hell and won't back down on even the most flawed of principal gameplay stances. >_<
Agreed its gotten to the point where we're not talking about anything where opinions/statements matter, we're just talking about good/bad play right now.

Hi Tom, Summoner was sleeping so he couldn't come out to play. I guess I could prod him a little to see if he wakes up but I dunno if he even wants to wake up.
This game kind of needs a bit more input so I'm glad Summoner has come out to play. Please keep him coming out to play because we need everyone. I'd like to see what you can add actively 'cuz you're a bit behind right now!

Because Tom seems to think my posts @ Ronike were wrong or bad

and he should know I've done more than just that this game. A lot of the earliest part of the day was me and Tom talking.
Look just perform okay?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You've pitched this "scummy intentions and bad play are on the same level D1" over and over again yet you offer no analysis to show what the "same level" even is, and why that's the case.

We've continually told you over and over again that discerning scummy intent from player's posts is crucial and a good game of mafia. Fundamentally, having scummy intent and making a stupid mistake or being tricked are different, and it's up to good scum hunters to figure those two scenarios out.

I think what you're trying to say is that actions with scummy intent look just like stupid mistakes, in which case I think we all agree with you, at least on D1. But that DOES NOT carry over to the scummyness of those things. Just because two actions looks similar and might seem "equally anti-town" on the surface, doesn't mean they are equally anti-town through and through.

You're throwing these sweeping statements around like "there's no depth to scummy actions on D1" with absolutely no backing analysis. If by no depth you mean that the scum can't be trying to enact and provoke certain actions and reactions, or otherwise work toward their win condition, you're just flat out wrong, or you've been playing with some really bad mafia partners. From the get go mafia are going to be working to establish a comfortable position for themselves to be in and guide discussion the way they wanna see it go. If I'm understanding you properly when you say "depth" (and I can't really be blamed if I'm not, since again, no analysis to work with) then you're just plain wrong.
*facepalm*

(hypothetical scenarios ensue, btw)

It's not hard, really. On D1, you have no concrete information other than your own alignment and roles. People are lynched for various reasons, but one of the rarest on D1 is "this guy is obviously mafia". It's more a game of having a pool of players that have made mistakes, picking one you don't like, then lynching them. This is inefficient, and bad for town. It's actually more likely to hit mafia if you use a random number generator and lynch whoever shows up than it is to allow mafia to control the fate of a lynch when you can't determine connections. (the connections as a result of that can be useful, but on D1 a mislynch is pretty common)

There is no depth to any accusation. That means you have no guarantees and have no way to differentiate between bad play and scuminess that can be played off as bad play simply because there are no guaranteed connections. You're just playing a guessing game by seeing one mistake, making a conclusion, and then riding that conclusion to a flip.

That means if you say "look at Tom, he's obviously scum" and then quote his posts and talk about how he's focused primarily on player A or B and the rest of his post has been meaningless fluff... you have no confirmation unless you lynch him and he flips or the person he was accusing flips. Even then, it's a gamble without more information. If someone makes a slip of the tongue and you catch them on it because it appears they've changed their mind or lied in the past, you can say "ah HA! We've found scum!" but there is no depth to it. You can't guarantee it in any way until there are flips. You are just guessing and trusting gut instinct.

Now, if KevinM and Tom continue to be their own little pair and hunt similar people, you can watch their actions. Imagine Tom flips town after being killed N2. It'd be pretty easy to look back at the previous interactions and say "Hey, these guys would just piggyback Tom and KevinM on all of their wagons, but when they started wagoning FrozenFlame they protected him", it makes the guys protected Flame obvious targets of discussion. Information gained from them or their flips can help determine KevinM's alignment as well as those they're connected to. However, let's change the scenario.

KevinM and Tom continue to be their own little pair and hunt similar people, and you watch their actions. They started wagoning FrozenFlame, and someone didn't support them in it. That someone supported their wagon on another player or two.

The player that didn't support the Flame wagon hasn't made a scum tell in any way, shape, or form because there are no connections to be made. It's a guess.

As such, you have to look at D1 as a guessing game. Despite the negative knee jerk reaction your brain just had, guessing games have rules and patterns that you can use to help you win.

What can we do to get the best possible result for town? We know we need a lynch. Lynching town is better than a no-lynch. This isn't an opinion, it's a statistical fact. It's even more important to get a lynch in games with strong players such as this.

Looking at this, we have three main scenarios:

1. No one makes any mistakes
2. Players make mistakes
3. Mafia members accidentally out themselves in an obvious manner and can be confirmed

#1 is impossible, and #3 is rare. It's almost always #2. I can see strong "that guy's scum" claims when there's a small group that plays together often, but even then its iffy.

So we have a game where players, both town and mafia, make mistakes. You can't say that mafia is guaranteed to be active or inactive; I'm active regardless of my alignment, and I know many players that are inactive regardless of theirs. You have no meta information that can really confirm alignment.

But then... someone makes a mistake.

You see someone tunnel the same person over and over and over again, and you're not quite sure why. A wagon gets put on the person being tunneled and the person gets to L-3 and the tunneler demands a claim. Looking back at the original exchanges, you find out that the person doing the tunneling either misunderstood or deliberately misconstrued something someone said, and has used it to tunnel them. That's bad, no? Imagine if someone was reading our exchange and said "Well... duh. OS is right, I don't understand what Flame is talking about." and then watched the game go on with a wagon on me with you right up in the front.... but you're town and simply didn't understand something I said.

Is this scummy behavior? Do we lynch the person close to a lynch even if we disagree with the reasoning, or do we try to flip the lynch on the person we don't understand?

The truth of the matter is, you can't know. All you know is that one player is aggressive and you disagree with his thought process. Many times I've seen that scenario play out only to find the aggressive player merely misunderstood something and brought about a townie death, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

What you CAN do to maximize success is to lynch inactives (players that post very little, or very little substance) and those that have larger scum tells and simply save mistakes made by other players for later days. The philosophy that we have to lynch someone with the slightest hiccup on D1 is wrong. It's a much more sound philosophy to get rid of players that are useless to town, as we have information on those that actually post. MenoUnderwater has posted little to naught, and Mentos is silent again.

Pressure inactives, make 'em post, and then you're left with choosing from whoever is scummiest or the least useful. Otherwise, mafia's best strategy is to simply leave one of their members inactive until D3. You can't have any guarantee on someone based on any error you find on D1, not until you find a flip later. At a later date you can use your newfound knowledge to pin them, but for now? Just write it down in notepad and save it for later. There's no depth to any accusations on D1, only feeling people out and inactives.

Like he resounding theme of your posts is "if you are playing or posting in a way that I don't like on the surface, you're anti-town because you're making it tough for me to read or interact with you" or something along those lines. Just because the way someone chooses to express themselves doesn't jive with you doesn't make them scummy. We can all look to Babyjesus for a perfect example of that.
I didn't say it made them scummy.

He's writing in haiku, and posting things like "Overswarm is Overswarm" because it's 7 syllables. Do you know what "overswarm is overswarm" means? Do you know what HIS meaning behind it is, or are you just attributing your own to it?

If someone else shows to be more of a pain or has scummy behavior, I'll go for them. But on D1? I'll lynch people that post in Haiku because they're the guy in the group that wants to go exploring with you, but only if he can walk backwards. HE'S SO CRAZY AND ZANY. Such an individual, not idiotic at all. Kill him if you have no better options, then you don't have to deal with that anymore.

Your entire argument against the chart being made public is this fear mongering stance that contends if he publishes the chart later in the game, it'll distract us from our scumhunting. That's so wrong.
...My argument against the chart is that it is near useless at its core unless it is done properly, and even then it's got just as big a chance of screwing us over than it does for helping us since one guy is determining the connections and we do not know his alignment. That data can't help unless its accurate, and we have no reason to believe it will be, nor what good it will even do.

What supporters of this mystery chart are saying is that we should be able to look at it, determine he hasn't left anything out or misinterpreted something, and then make a call on that.

Funny story: I say "get the data right, or I'm starting a wagon on you. This chart is going to be useless."

I hear: "that's so dumb, why would you say something like that? And this chart is gonna be useful"

I say: "you have no way of knowing the chart will be accurate! He could be missing things, or deliberately holding them back, or just misinterpreting them!"

I hear: "then he's obviously scum, and we'll lynch him since the data is wrong"

Which is exactly what I said in the first place. Lynch him if he gets the data wrong. Except I told him in advance so he knows not to goof around with it and I'm not going to be some scummy opportunist picking on someone making a huge mistake D3. I just thought a few steps ahead.

If we have strong leads in the future, and Meno tries to interrupt that scumhunting, that tells us something AND we don't have to get distracted by it. We just keep following our leads. It's called self-control. If we DON'T have strong leads, then the chart could be the perfect remedy to a stagnating game. Like I said earlier, if the chart has flaws, they can be pointed out and discussed. The charts is FAR from fluff, and if I were Meno I'd be insulted that you'd even try to draw that comparison. The chart, as far as it has been described, would be a catalog of all sorts of interactions between all players throughout the game. How could that possibly be bad for discussion? You're just trying to make it seem like it would be bad because some people might get distracted by it and any strong leads we have might disappear, which is pretty ludicrous IMO.
Self-control... have you played mafia on smashboards? Someone goes inactive for two days and they're either quick lynched for hiding like scum or completely forgotten :p

Meno, post an example of your chart so we can see. I believe you've used this chart before?

Flame, stop posting AtE stuff. I know it's just how you post, but ease up. And don't tell Meno how he should feel.

Look at it from a point of view that is bad for town.

"If I was mafia, could I use (blank) to my advantage?"

If so, that's a dangerous strategy for town to hold onto as a whole. I know if I was mafia and making some interactions chart, I could easily manipulate it in a way that would allow for scum to survive. Hell, I could bus a scummate and get two free mislynches out of it. It's not hard to imagine what you could do when you control the information.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
man, I didn't even want my questions answered OS.

whatever man.

Vote: Overswarm

Overswarm

is laughing at you
>:[

I'll get to those tomorrow.

Who have we not heard from yet? There have been enough easy targets now between the fluff, meta, and my ramblings for everyone to post, so it's looking like they're actually inactive.

@Mod:

" prods in one Game Day, or 5 prods in the entire game, will result in your replacement if it is D1 or D2, and possible modkill if it is D3 or later."

Do prods accumulate one each day after the 72 hour limit for inactivity, or do you just prod, wait for them to post, then prod again if they go inactive?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Didn't anybody else take note of it? That's exactly the kind of stuff that made Jungle obvscum in Monster Island Mafia. Picking out the easiest tell on one of the players who's the easiest to get lynched (no offense, Chibo). Jungle literally skipped walls of discussion just to vote somebody ... because you disagree with it?

@Jungle

If Chibo's accusation against Ronike is wrong you should tell why and in what way and even then you should still explain what of it makes Chibo scummy because as most players have agreed with scummy and wrong are two entirely different things.

As such, get the flip that gives you the most benefit for town. Sometimes this is a player with mayn connections, sometimes this is an inactive, sometimes its a guy that puts arbitrary usage of freshman-in-high-school-level poetry above speaking clearly.

It's not that complicated. You want a lynch day 1, always. To go "no lynch" is to be suicidal, your chances drop by a ridiculous degree if that's the case. When observing who to lynch, no one will ever be able to tell the difference between scum pretending to make a dumb mistake and town making a dumb mistake.
In other words: Commiting yourself to a narrow-minded gameplay because all townies are supposed to play pro-town and all mafiosi are bound to play anti-town? If that's truly what you think then you are very delusional.

A lot of what happens in mafia is a question of interpretation. Since you can never quite know the intention behind every player's words and actions it's always up to the interpretation of an individual player of whether somebody looks scummy or not - it's a subjective matter and as such inherently flawed.

Your ideal play of mafia is utopic. You assume the best case (all players playing their as they're meant to be) and thus allow the players to hunt scum with minimal efforts or - how I would call it - bad scum hunting. You demand absolute knowledge over what's pro-town and anti-town despite town having the DUTY to concern themselves with intentions behind it.

What we should assume to achieve the optimal game play is that all other players are playing at their worst and we ourselves - as individual players - have the find out the how and why. Your way of playing mafia doesn't excuse mistakes and doesn't even take the subjectivity of a so-called "scum-tell" into account.

THAT'S detrimental to the town and thus anti-town. Therefore - based on your own logic - you should be lynched. Of course you would never agree with that because your intentions are probably pro-town. Funny how these things work out.

Tom's just looking for a lynch target, Chibo.
That's how it seems from your point of view. From mine I don't see how it's any worse than what you do. Aren't you looking for a lynch target too? If so, is there anything wrong with tom doing so?

:059:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Didn't anybody else take note of it? That's exactly the kind of stuff that made Jungle obvscum in Monster Island Mafia. Picking out the easiest tell on one of the players who's the easiest to get lynched (no offense, Chibo). Jungle literally skipped walls of discussion just to vote somebody ... because you disagree with it?

@Jungle

If Chibo's accusation against Ronike is wrong you should tell why and in what way and even then you should still explain what of it makes Chibo scummy because as most players have agreed with scummy and wrong are two entirely different things.
Agreed @Gheb.

I don't want to see you take a backseat role in this game, Jungle.

In other words: Commiting yourself to a narrow-minded gameplay because all townies are supposed to play pro-town and all mafiosi are bound to play anti-town? If that's truly what you think then you are very delusional.

A lot of what happens in mafia is a question of interpretation. Since you can never quite know the intention behind every player's words and actions it's always up to the interpretation of an individual player of whether somebody looks scummy or not - it's a subjective matter and as such inherently flawed.

Your ideal play of mafia is utopic. You assume the best case (all players playing their as they're meant to be) and thus allow the players to hunt scum with minimal efforts or - how I would call it - bad scum hunting. You demand absolute knowledge over what's pro-town and anti-town despite town having the DUTY to concern themselves with intentions behind it.

What we should assume to achieve the optimal game play is that all other players are playing at their worst and we ourselves - as individual players - have the find out the how and why. Your way of playing mafia doesn't excuse mistakes and doesn't even take the subjectivity of a so-called "scum-tell" into account.

THAT'S detrimental to the town and thus anti-town. Therefore - based on your own logic - you should be lynched. Of course you would never agree with that because your intentions are probably pro-town. Funny how these things work out.
I'm not sure exactly what you're disagreeing with. Your coming from the standpoint of "everyone will make mistakes, let's play off that" and I'm coming from the standpoint of "everyone will make mistakes, let's play off that". The only difference is you feel confident that we'd be able to differentiate between a scum player and a town player that simply had a wagon thrown on him; I know from experience (and hell, basic probability) that it is infinitely more likely that you're going to hit town. If you get a great lead, take it. But otherwise, don't go nuts on someone because they've got a tiny thing against them. Go for someone that's definitely a detriment to town in some way because if you're going to kill town D1, you want the odds to be stacked in your favor.

If someone is active and posting and making connections all over the place and they say something you think is scummy, there's no reason to kill them D1. They'll dig their own grave later and you'll have a stronger case. Lynching them gives you the possibility of them being an active town member that made a mistake or an active mafia member that made a mistake. Killing someone who posts very little substance and avoids contact? That's the possibility of them being an inactive, useless town or an inactive, sneaky mafia. It's more of a win/win scenario for town when we lynch an inactive over someone who made a goofy mistake when we don't have flips to confirm anything.

That's how it seems from your point of view. From mine I don't see how it's any worse than what you do. Aren't you looking for a lynch target too? If so, is there anything wrong with tom doing so?

:059:
Chibo was called out for doing something wrong, and replied that he didn't do anything wrong. This response doesn't help anyone really. I was letting him know that Tom was scum hunting, not singling him out. Chibo has a habit of taking these things on a more personal level.

(same response to Tom/Summoner's comments)

summoner said:
geez leave Ronike alone if you know what you're saying is going to 'provoke' him in an nonconstructive way. Oh, if you were looking for his reaction, does his reaction to you make you think he's scum or town? How did you expect him to react and what were you expecting his reaction to reveal to you?
Well, for one, it's fun. Two, it's kiiiiiiind of important for someone to know early on he has a vendetta against me. I think it's pretty obvious that he made an OMGUS vote pretty deliberately. I'd rather not have someone sitting there saying "I'm gonna get him lynched whether he's town of scum" and waiting for an opportunity to jump me because I called him out on his mistakes in past games.

I really don't care about his reaction. I know he'll just have some sort of kneejerk emotional reaction and/or an AtE post. Irrelevant.

Ronike

Smash Ace
So you're just ****in with my head, making it hard for me to play and pretty much disabling my scumdar cause I get tunnelvisioned onto you, just cause it's fun? Seems pretty anti-town to me...

Oh an that post about giving you a break? Well you haven't been answering questions/accusations all game, so feel free to start now that you aren't "on your phone" or w/e

and how did you NOT think I was gonna be pissed at you? Not only was there that fiasco in dgsocial, but then you tried to put info on dbz here! And your response to both? "my care level is 0". And you wonder why im pissed...
@jungle: except the vote was partially omgus, and I admitted it. It just also had some basis to it (at least to me)

@Tom: your attempts to stick up for me are noted as possible buddying. Especially since Kevin used to use a similar strategy to try to get scumslips out of me, and getting an emotional response is a completely valid stategy. I just hate it.

Top Bottom