• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 3.0: It's over, it's done, moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gryphon

Smash Journeyman
[Commicide]

Every moveset that introduces something new in this contest is met with everyone else following the pattern. If we let ourselves go crazy with new mechanics, our movesets will all end up twice as long. Backward Specials, Air Grabs and Throws, Underwater Attacks, Super Final Smashes, who really knows where it'll end. It's for that reason that I feel we should stick to Brawl mechanics and rules.

[/Commicide]
Commicide means YOU DIE!!!!

jkjk

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
There's a fine line to walk when making new mechanics. I think most of my characters have some unique system that isn't present at all in Brawl, but is rather based on something in Brawl (like the way Naota can "morph" into Canti, or how Dracula never falls down/air dodges/doesn't run/etc.).

And like KingK.Rool mentioned, 'Warlord's pretty prolific in that regard too, as are a few of K.Rool's own 'sets (in fact, almost all of the movesets I've reviewed by request have at least some sort of innovation to it). So really...I don't think 5 Special moves is a bad thing, since it's not a standard thing, and people won't lose points or be judged more harshly for not having it.

If you want to make things up, go right ahead--that's kind of the whole point. Just don't feel that you have to, is all. If you make something that we don't like (for theoretical example: a character with a Street Fighter-esque Super Combo input), then we'll tell you to shorten it.

tl;dr - The opposite of what 'Kibble said. :p

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Meh. Fine. Do whatever you want. Just don't expect me to like it.

And your overruling is overruled, Gryphon!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There's a fine line to walk when making new mechanics. I think most of my characters have some unique system that isn't present at all in Brawl, but is rather based on something in Brawl (like the way Naota can "morph" into Canti, or how Dracula never falls down/air dodges/doesn't run/etc.).

And like KingK.Rool mentioned, 'Warlord's pretty prolific in that regard too, as are a few of K.Rool's own 'sets (in fact, almost all of the movesets I've reviewed by request have at least some sort of innovation to it). So really...I don't think 5 Special moves is a bad thing, since it's not a standard thing, and people won't lose points or be judged more harshly for not having it.

If you want to make things up, go right ahead--that's kind of the whole point. Just don't feel that you have to, is all. If you make something that we don't like (for theoretical example: a character with a Street Fighter-esque Super Combo input), then we'll tell you to shorten it.

tl;dr - The opposite of what 'Kibble said. :p
Exactly, unique ideas can really make a moveset stand out if they are done well. I think a bit of what I am planning for Cranky will become one of these ideas.

Most of my other movesets take existing characters and turn them into a unique, signature attacks for the characters.

Cranky is undergoing work now...

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
I agree with most of you, the use of a special mechanic most of the time is very original, but it becomes a problem if the same idea was someone elses or if it was overused, making people bored as its like reading the same thing over and over again! I mean, taking Warlords Voldo for example, it had different features in it that makes it unique and also make people say "Wow, I would never have thought about that" or "X idea is amazingly original, nice one"

↓↓ Edit: oh and it has to fit the character as well, so that the "Special" mechanic IS a "Special" mechanic that feels true and unique with the character!

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
YOUR OVERULING TO GRYPHON'S OVERULING IS OVERRULED!

I only gave Voldo the crawling attacks and back attacks because they actually specifically fit his character. If other characters had those attacks, he wouldn't be nearly as interesting, but he can actually do stuff like that in Soul Calibur, which is why I gave them to him.

Curse you all for making me post and losing my 666 post count!

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Slightly updated my Shade moveset--check out the tilts and tell me what you think--I'm feeling iffy on them :p
You may not realize this, but I had already made a Shade move set. See my sig.

I'll still read it though, to see how it compares with mine.

Edit: Okay, good news, your Shade is very different from mine so far. I chose to focus more on her technology and spying background, but you're basing her off of Sonic Chronicle's gameplay mechanics, so our Shades have a different feel. The only moves that yours shares with mine so far are Blade Rush and Cloak, but your versions work very differently, so it's ok. As a final note, I only used Leech Blade as a single special move, but yours is a core mechanic, so no problems. Overall it's a very good move set (so far) and I have no problems with there being two Shades in the contest. :)

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I think I may have been misunderstood here. I'm not saying that everyone should include multiple glide attacks, crawl attacks, or what-have-you in their sets. I'm saying that including an innovation like that enriches your character - in other words, most sets should have some sort of "gimmick". I think it's sad that only four characters in Brawl - five if you're counting Sheik/Zelda - (Lucario's Aura, PT's stamina, IC's teamwork, and Olimar's Pikmin) have something that really sets them apart.

In other words, what dancingfrogman said.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Agreed KingK.Rool, I always try to think of some sort of unique mechanic, whether it be a really unique move that's important to the character's playstyle, or a special core mechanic that feels like it's from a different game (see Enker's "Counter Typing"). That said, I am fully against putting in a "gimmick" purley for the sake of having one, becuase those gimmicks usually end up half a'd and dumb/imbalanced.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I guess I wasn't totally clear. I don't oppose the inclusion of unique mechanics. But some things are too far. Specials mechanics should work because of the character, and should be something unique to the character. A Backward Special would be fine if the character's character (redundancy much?) merits a Backward Special. That's how all the ones currently in Brawl are. You just shouldn't go "Hey, Air Grabs would be cool, I'm going to give my Raticate an Air Grab!" Make sure anything out-of-the-ordinary works, is what I'm saying. Let's say we were going to take that Air Grab idea and make it happen. You wouldn't give that to every character in Brawl. The most likely candidates are probably Pit and Meta Knight, seeing as how they both fly (so does Charizard, but he's a fatty and falls too fast), giving them reign in the air. You wouldn't give something like that exclusively to someone like Bowser or Donkey Kong.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
lol Raticate air grab. But yeah, I basically agree with what Sir Kibble is saying. I'm not 'against' special mechanics as I've made one too. But nothing too crazy and unneeded.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I guess I wasn't totally clear. I don't oppose the inclusion of unique mechanics. But some things are too far. Specials mechanics should work because of the character, and should be something unique to the character. A Backward Special would be fine if the character's character (redundancy much?) merits a Backward Special. That's how all the ones currently in Brawl are. You just shouldn't go "Hey, Air Grabs would be cool, I'm going to give my Raticate an Air Grab!" Make sure anything out-of-the-ordinary works, is what I'm saying. Let's say we were going to take that Air Grab idea and make it happen. You wouldn't give that to every character in Brawl. The most likely candidates are probably Pit and Meta Knight, seeing as how they both fly (so does Charizard, but he's a fatty and falls too fast), giving them reign in the air. You wouldn't give something like that exclusively to someone like Bowser or Donkey Kong.
I agree completely. "Gimmick" is probably a bad choice of word; mechanic is what I really meant to say, Hyper_Ridley. Obviously, just randomly throwing in an air grab system for any character isn't going to add any depth to it.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I knew what you meant, I just went with your word choice to make it easier to respond to.

And yeah, I definatley don't think that throwing in a mechanic for the sake of having one won't do any good. Though Raging Raven's air grabs were definatley not just thrown in.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
You may not realize this, but I had already made a Shade move set. See my sig.

I'll still read it though, to see how it compares with mine.

Edit: Okay, good news, your Shade is very different from mine so far. I chose to focus more on her technology and spying background, but you're basing her off of Sonic Chronicle's gameplay mechanics, so our Shades have a different feel. The only moves that yours shares with mine so far are Blade Rush and Cloak, but your versions work very differently, so it's ok. As a final note, I only used Leech Blade as a single special move, but yours is a core mechanic, so no problems. Overall it's a very good move set (so far) and I have no problems with there being two Shades in the contest. :)
I just looked at your Shade moveset, and must say i'm impressed by it. I like the way you use the Marauders as a part of her moveset. Very nice! And our movesets are very different so there's no real problem here!

Gryphon

Smash Journeyman
For me, I had my Saki's sword attacks deflect non-energy projectiles, thanks to those who reminded me of that. And Lip grows bed of flowers at wherever she stands. I dont mean extreme extra mechanics. I mean, Snake has his mortar slide, and Luigi has a taunt attack, and Metaknight has four recovery moves for crying out loud. You are missing those.

Shadow5567

Smash Journeyman
:( *sigh* Roxases neutral special is probably going to be between 1-200 lines, this is going to be very annoying so will i atleast know that people are looking forward to a Roxas moveset?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
:( *sigh* Roxases neutral special is probably going to be between 1-200 lines, this is going to be very annoying so will i atleast know that people are looking forward to a Roxas moveset?
What could Roxas (or anyone, for that matter) possibly do that would require that much explanation?

Seriously?

...I'm still looking forward to it, but unless his Neutral B is some crazy, character-specific mechanic, there shouldn't be any reason for it to be that long.

Shadow5567

Smash Journeyman
Hey, if you think that bad, Roxases final smash will most likley be between 20-40 pages WHAT NOW!?

tl/dr riiiiight!? riiiiiight!? riiiiiiight!?

tarman727

Smash Apprentice
CHARACTER: SORA
Size: 6/10
Power: 7/10
Weight: 4/10
Walking Speed: 2/10
Dash speed: 8/10
Fall Speed: 5/10
Jumping: 4/10
Traction: 9/10
Wall-jump: No
Wall Cling: Yes
Crawl: No
Glide: Yes
Tether: Yes

Standard Combo
A: Fast punch(Fast)-3%[low knock back]
AA: Double punch(Med)-2% each[low knock back]
AAA: Double punch into an uppercut(Slow)-2% each dp, 5% uppercut[med high knock back]

Tilts
Forward: Face blow(Med)-2%-11%[high knock back]-Med Priority
Up: Uppercut(Med)-4%-12%[med knock back]-High Priority
Down: Slide kick(Med-Fast)-2%-8%[low knock back]-Low Priority

Aerials
Neutral: Circular keyblade swing(Low)-10%[low knock back]-Low Priority
Forward: Keyblade combo(Med)-5% each strike(Max of 4)[med knock back]-Med Priority
Up: Stretched arm punch upwards(Med-Fast)-5%[low-med knock back]-Med Priority
Down: Attacks downwards with legs multiple times(Med)-2%-4% each kick[no knock back]-High Priority
Back: Spins arm around(Low)-2%-6%[med knock back]-Low-Med Priority

Smashes
Up: Keyblade strike up(Med)-13%[high knock back]-Med Priority
Forward: Keyblade strike forward(Med)-10%[high knock back]-Med Priority
Down: Keyblade under strike(Med)-17%-20%[high knock back]-Med Priority

Specials
Neutral Special: Keyblade elemental attack[(Fire-bolt comes out and burns enemy 2 damage per second 3 seconds)(Ice-bolt that comes out and slows enemy 1 damage per 2 seconds 4 seconds and chance to freeze)(Lightning-bolt that comes out and makes enemy loose priority on every move for 5 seconds)
Side Special: Keyblade forward stride like Ike's(Fast)-6%-17%[med-high knock back]-High Priority
Up Special: Keyblade tether/Bounce off of object below
Down Special: Switches keyblade element(Fast)-0%[no knock back]-No Priority
Specials

Grab(Long range)
Grabs the opponent with blade
Grab attack: Flings enemy in direction(Forward and backwards a bit downward, up and down upward)-3% damage and kills at 110%

FINAL SMASH: Keyblade slash
knocks enemy up in air, slashes him with every element blade, and knocks him down to die(kills at 35%)[Keyblade range]

Shadow5567

Smash Journeyman
You see why Roxas is needed!? People need an example! People need to learn patience! By simple means of waiting a half hour to load the page and noobs will see how high the bar is raised and work harder..... or say WTF!?

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
ugh...I was thinking the maitenence would fix this...*sigh*
Me too. =/

Also, my new SSE chapter is going to posted tomorrow.

It's going to feature Peter Griffin, Crono (finally :p), Jeff Hardy, and maybe the delicious one. I might add more characters.

This is going to be the last introductory chapter. Next time is going to be a continuation.

TheSundanceKid

Smash Lord
Me too. =/

Also, my new SSE chapter is going to posted tomorrow.

It's going to feature Peter Griffin, Crono (finally :p), Jeff Hardy, and maybe the delicious one. I might add more characters.

This is going to be the last introductory chapter. Next time is going to be a continuation.
Horray! He's probably going the be chased by Peter...

(TDO) I'd like to help you save the world...but I'm far too busy being delicious!

tarman727

Smash Apprentice
mine was a rough draft with limited time. The full one will come with animations, images, full move info, adv matchups and bad matchups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom