• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 3.0: It's over, it's done, moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Some of his appearances resemble him being more undead and mummylike then others, but he's been guarding Vercci's treasure for a period that no human could've lived long enough to do so. No human could go into the insane positions Voldo does with his flexibility, further leading me to believe he's undead. Basically, while it's not officiially confirmed he is, it's the only logical explanation.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
I never knew it specified how long he was guarding, but it's no biggie I'll just take your word for it.
Good job on the moveset, lot of detail, though it felt kinda long when reading it.

You might want to change the colors a bit more. That's a lot of orange.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Good job on the moveset, lot of detail, though it felt kinda long when reading it.

You might want to change the colors a bit more. That's a lot of orange.
I was actually going to mention these two points (well, the first moreso) a few pages ago, but they must've slipped my mind.

There's a fine line to walk when putting in the massive descriptions. It usually makes he 'set infinitely better, but sometimes all that text can result in cases of tl;dr. I'm not saying my movesets aren't guilty of that (they probably are), but I noticed that a few times while reading through Voldo.

An easy way to help that is to break a paragraph (like those beastly FS and Play Style ones) into parts, like so:

"CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!"

Also, you might try indenting, like so:

"CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!"

Keeping certain thoughts or ideas in separate lines, rather than the same paragraph as others.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Made the moveset easier on the eyes by mixing up the orange color scheme with some brown. I too noticed a problem with the FS/Play style paragraphs, but it's harder to notice when working on it in notepad. In any case, they're seperated into paragraphs now, making the worst parts of the moveset to go through significantly easier.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
The new and improved Voldo moveset is pretty fantastic, Warlord. It's much easier to read through, and lets the moveset itself shine through. I'm not sold on the Neutral Special - seems a bit generic - but that's more than cancelled out by two fantastic ideas that you implemented very well - backwards attacking and an advanced crawl game. The idea of having a character who's more dangerous when he's running away is just ingenious.

As for the crawling, well, that's a whole new level of gameplay. Suddenly, a bunch of opposing attacks are useless, as they go right over his head, and he can keep attacking all the while. Very, very well done. That's my take on the character, anyway.

As to Dracula vs Voldo? Hmmm. Tough one. Dracula has a more interesting playstyle and attacks that stand well alone, but Voldo has the aforementioned two creative concepts. I really don't think they should be compared - though they will be, eventually - as they're both fantastic, and perhaps the best movesets in the thread so far.

Dracula's crouch is epic.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
they're. . .perhaps the best movesets in the thread so far.
I remember when people used to say that about some of mine... Back in MYM2, before all these really good people started contributing. Curse you all and your talent!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
In my defense, I've had like, two years of practice, all told. Gray Fox, Simon Belmont, and Phoenix Wright are all just updated versions of movesets I posted back in '06 and '07.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
It's ironic that most people think your best is one that you made originally for this contest.:laugh:

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
It's ironic that most people think your best is one that you made originally for this contest.:laugh:
Well, obviously. The others were basically practice.

In theory they'll keep getting better, but with Dracula...well, he's a really flexible character. My next 'set is (probably) going to be Bill Rizer & Lance Bean from the Contra games. And while they're awesome characters, it's gonna' be a bit more difficult to make them really unique, as they're just two cool dudes with guns.

Though let's not forget I've still got...

Astro Boy
Viewtiful Joe
Alastor
Lord Yamanouchi Nobutada
Vanessa Z. Schneider
King Mickey
Mach Rider

...in the works. :psycho:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
My rating site is up. I'm going to do very detailed reviews to help people truly improve and feel satisfied with good, detailed feedback. My first review, the grim reaper from Kid Icarus made by kingk.rool. Granted, it'll take forever for me to go through with this due to how much detail I'm going into, but that's just my style. I'll just have to do a lot of work to catch up with the rest of you.

The site is:

freewebs.com/masterwarlordmym

I'll update it regularly, I'm not going to post here every time I update it with a review. Hope you like your moveset getting some attention K. Rool, thanks for the compliments on my Voldo moveset. I might get another moveset or two up tonight, but don't expect too many too fast. Quality reviews take time.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
Something I was wondering...

What would be the damage output for a powerful smash with lots of lag? How about a weak one with very little lag (Metaknight's F-smash)? I think I make my damage %s for Smashes a bit small.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Something I was wondering...

What would be the damage output for a powerful smash with lots of lag? How about a weak one with very little lag (Metaknight's F-smash)? I think I make my damage %s for Smashes a bit small.
Dedede's fully charged Fsmash deals around 30, so that's about as high as one should ever go with them.

And there's really no "minimum" amount. If it's really fast (like...Meta or Link's Dsmash, for example), then it probably should only be doing around 10 to 13 or 14 damage uncharged.

EDIT - Good luck with that stuff, 'Warlord. You definitely made things more complicated that anybody else... :chuckle:

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
And there's really no "minimum" amount. If it's really fast (like...Meta or Link's Dsmash, for example), then it probably should only be doing around 10 to 13 or 14 damage uncharged.
Wow, I really need to improve there. Most of my movesets have something like 14 as a medium amount uncharged.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
This isn't easy work at all, it's taking me forever to do this. I'm not sure if I'll be able to review every last bloody moveset, as it took me quite a while to do those last two (I completed Gibari by TwilitHero), and freewebs goes very slow on my computer. Would you object if I dropped out in the middle?

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Tell us about it... But that's a pretty thorough system. It won't be as hard if you switch to something a little less extensive, and I wouldn't blame you at all if you decided to.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
This isn't easy work at all, it's taking me forever to do this. I'm not sure if I'll be able to review every last bloody moveset, as it took me quite a while to do those last two (I completed Gibari by TwilitHero), and freewebs goes very slow on my computer. Would you object if I dropped out in the middle?
I don't think anybody would be offended if you did, if that helps.

What you (and myself, and Kibble, and Blitzkrieg, and Chris, and HeoandReo) are doing is a free, public service. There's really no actual need for it (the previous MYMs didn't have these--or at least, this many), so if somebody takes issue with that, then they're the one at fault.

...Or. Or you could just switch to a less-complex rating scale. I based mine on Famitsu's infamous 4-person method, and you're welcome to do the same. Or you could use a simple 10 point scale/letter grades. Or you could be really forward thinking and not assign an artificial value on stuff that's entirely objective: letting your words do the "rating", unassisted by numerical/letter values. :psycho:

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I find it cool that you guys are taking time out of your own lives to give detailed feedback for everyone posting movesets, major props to you guys : )

And I've decided, my next moveset is definately going to be Vergil from Devil May Cry 3, look out for him in the upcoming week : )

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I don't think anybody would be offended if you did, if that helps.
If anybody is offended by it, then they suck and they should try it.

What you (and myself, and Kibble, and Blitzkrieg, and Chris, and HeoandReo) are doing is a free, public service. There's really no actual need for it (the previous MYMs didn't have these--or at least, this many), so if somebody takes issue with that, then they're the one at fault.
Seriously. I only do this because I love you guys I have nothing better to do. MYM2 only had OP ratings by GCM. What we've got started here is really public service, and largely just something to make sure everyone gets some feedback. Plus, for those of us who are also judges, it makes our job easier in the long run.

...Or. Or you could just switch to a less-complex rating scale. I based mine on Famitsu's infamous 4-person method, and you're welcome to do the same. Or you could use a simple 10 point scale/letter grades. Or you could be really forward thinking and not assign an artificial value on stuff that's entirely objective: letting your words do the "rating", unassisted by numerical/letter values. :psycho:
Yeah, I think that pretty much covers what everyone so far is using... Famitsu's 4-person (Mendez), letter grades (myself and Chris), and just plain commenting (H&R). Nobody's done a plain ol' 10-point scale yet, though... Anyway, all those ways have their pros and cons, and you're obviously free to choose another way. But honestly, I'd seriously encourage you to pick something simpler, for the sake of your sanity.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I find it cool that you guys are taking time out of your own lives to give detailed feedback for everyone posting movesets, major props to you guys : )
You'd better. :bee:

I could've spent my Labor Day playing freaking Disgaea 3, but no...I stayed home and worked on this stuff. :p

We need to charge admission for the next MYM, then give all the money to me split the earnings between people like me

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Charging admission? Brilliant! 'Bout time I started getting paid for this crap...

Wow... I've basically done a grant total of three things today, and two of them involve this thread...

1) Work on beating the crap out of Lavos / Come up with stuff for my Crono and Frog movesets.

2) Evaluate and reevaluate.

3) Do Calculus II homework. Ugh...

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
I still plan on keeping the grades, as they don't take that much time to add in, to be quite honest. However; some movesets will end up being ranked incorrectly how I want them to in points in the long run, and that's just an inevitable consequence. Just don't take the scores there too seriously, and I won't won't either.

Edit: If I ever do get around to doing a moveset again, I'm probably going to do yet another Soul Calibur character due to knowing them so well and being such a fan of the series. Seeing how well Voldo turned out, I can probably make another good one of a character from the series. The thing is is that none of them would have as much of a gimmick as Voldo would have, and would require more *gasp* actual skill in making more out of a standard moveset.

I've decided on my next moveset. I'm thinking it's going to be Cervantes this time around. He'll be hard to balance with his insanely fast attacks that are powerful at the same time, but I think I can give him a decent mix of attacks to work well. Some slow powerful attacks, and some fast damage dealers is probably the best way to go. Wish me luck for when I get around to it.

I mention it's my 17th birthday at the start of my Voldo moveset, yet nobody wishes me a happy 17th? Bah humbug. Spoiled rotten youth.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WARLORD!!!!

There. That takes care of that.

Anyway, in the process of playing Chrono Trigger way too much today to figure out stuff for movesets for Crono / Frog, I've also decided that Magus must be done. He's got two of his victory poses cut out for him by quotes directly from the game.

"You play with fire, you get burned."

And the even better

"You got whacked, 'cause you're weak."

Someone has to do him. If no one else particularly wants to, I will.
Heck, I'll do the whole playable cast...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
MasterWarlord said:
I've decided on my next moveset. I'm thinking it's going to be Cervantes this time around. He'll be hard to balance with his insanely fast attacks that are powerful at the same time, but I think I can give him a decent mix of attacks to work well. Some slow powerful attacks, and some fast damage dealers is probably the best way to go. Wish me luck for when I get around to it.
Good luck!
Though I'd really like it if you did Nightmare or Siegfried (heck, why not both), as they're really the "mascot" of Soul Calibur, if there ever was one.

I mention it's my 17th birthday at the start of my Voldo moveset, yet nobody wishes me a happy 17th? Bah humbug. Spoiled rotten youth.
I didn't actually see the Voldo 'set when you first posted it, funnily enough. This thread's stupid like that. :p

Happy Birfdee though. :bee:

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
I just saw my Shinon Review on Mendez's blog and Gibari on Warlord's. Thanks for being honest. I'll fix them in a bit.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Thanks very much for the review there, MasterWarlord. I thought I'd have to wait another month or two for anyone to get to mine. And considering how harsh you've been so far, I have to say that I'm pretty happy with a B+. The balance issues on Grim Reaper are, unfortunately, an inherent problem with the Reapling idea, but I can definately change the % on most of his attacks.

Let me just say, to everyone who's rating movesets, that it IS very much appreciated.

Oh, and happy birthday, MasterWarlord! ;)

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
Er... MasterWarlord, it's not called Doppelman. It's Moria. It's a Moria and Doppelman moveset. Doppelman is Moria's shadow, who he controls. Also, you don't need to put it up so far in advance!:laugh:

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Oh, it just came to my mind... Ladies and gentlemen, I claim... E-123 Omega (Sonic series).

That is all. Thanks for your attention.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm bored and want to stay involved in this...so I'm gonna try another custom character.

Also, I'm having a hard time waiting for Death Sword's evaluation...I want to knowwwwww!! :urg:

D

Deleted member

MasterWarlord, you reviews seem pretty harsh. I mean, you gave Master Hand a D.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I know I'm harsh, mendez, sirkibble, mind reviewing my review style? Am I -too- harsh?
If you ask me, there's no such thing, as long as you're fair. As long as you're not giving special treatment anywhere, being harsh is not a bad thing at all. It helps people find things in their movesets that they can fix, anyway. At least, that's how I look at it.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I know I'm harsh, mendez, sirkibble, mind reviewing my review style? Am I -too- harsh?
Just stick to your guns, and keep calling em' like you see em'. As long as you don't sway from you stance, you really can't be too 'harsh'.

And again, your word isn't law. If somebody thinks you made an unfair decision about a review, and believe their moveset is perfect as is; they're not obligated to change it, y'know?

EDIT - Though if I could, I'd like to make a suggestion: you should get a links page up, with directions to the OP here, HeoandReo/Chris Lionheart/SirKibble/my own ratings pages.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
EDIT - Though if I could, I'd like to make a suggestion: you should get a links page up, with directions to the OP here, HeoandReo/Chris Lionheart/SirKibble/my own ratings pages.
*nods* Yes, yes.

It's easy to do with FreeWebs, too. Just make a new page, and when it asks you what type, select "Links." Piece of cake. Then you should add links to this thread, as well as all the other rating/reviewing pages. Which reminds me that I need to add yours... Which is:

http://www.freewebs.com/masterwarlordmym

Check it out, kiddies.

There. See? I'm a cool person. I advertise for other people. I should get paid for that...

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
I'll get around to adding links to the other sites. ALthough I do have every moveset and user's profile linked on the site that I've reviewed.

I just went to play some soul calibur in training to see who I could make the best moveset for. . .And Cervantes doesn't have as much material as I'd hoped for. He still has more then the rest of the cast, but that's still not that much. I next tried Zasalamel due to him being my favorite character and having a no brainer final smash, but I still didn't see much in him. I shrugged and went on to Nightmare, when it hit me he didn't have that much potetional in his moves for smash, but the character as a whole did. The spike in his head could be used to impale, that monster arm could be used for moves, and the mouth in his chest would also grant an endless supply of moves. Couple that with a good idea for the soul charge mechanic and the fact if Soul Calibur got a char it'd be him or Siggy, and you've got a deal.

Nightmare shall be my next moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom