• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Nice review there, Tanookie. Good to see you know what to look for, even if you are a bit... blunt, shall we say? :bee: I do think you were pretty much spot-on on much of that.

Speaking of Tanookie and reviews, I'll be handling Peter Pan sometime tomorrow... hopefully? We're ridiculously behind again, but that's at the top of my own list.

*goes to read Kibble's BBQ*

Tanookie

Smash Journeyman
*sends Sundance a leather harness on Dragon Apprec
Touche. ;) Although, the utilization of the taunt's meteor smash properties would require highly specific conditions, not to mention it takes a highly skilled player to properly pull of a maneuver like that. You can't just spam that taunt and expect to kill an opponent; with Espeon's taunt, anyone can use it and expect to get in at least 4 or 5% healed.

Nice review there, Tanookie. Good to see you know what to look for, even if you are a bit... blunt, shall we say? :bee: I do think you were pretty much spot-on on much of that.

Speaking of Tanookie and reviews, I'll be handling Peter Pan sometime tomorrow... hopefully? We're ridiculously behind again, but that's at the top of my own list.
*Gasp* HOORAY!!!! I'm super-ultra-mega-extra-fudgey-chocolatey-excited!!!

And I'm glad my review was okay. I'm working on my Simon Cowell, can't you tell? ^_^

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Touche. ;) Although, the utilization of the taunt's meteor smash properties would require highly specific conditions, not to mention it takes a highly skilled player to properly pull of a maneuver like that. You can't just spam that taunt and expect to kill an opponent; with Espeon's taunt, anyone can use it and expect to get in at least 4 or 5% healed.
Oh, I know. :p It's still funny though.

Also, I agreed with everything you said about Espeon earlier. Personally, it kinda irks me to see Pokemon movesets that try to use a Pokemon attack for every single attack.

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
I have started my own SSE. Hopefully it will entertain.

Enjoy

So far very few appearances... but its a starting point. Also I just wanted to get something up to get some advice/a point of reference.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
BRUTAL.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6229929&postcount=6931

I added Ryoko Asakura as a boss into the Extras of the moveset, made it slightly more readable (resized the special names), and explained why I'm not posting up pictures of alternate costumes for the girls.

This is totally and absolutely a legitimate reason for people to read the moveset.
METAMINDGAMESPAMSPAM

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Personally, it kinda irks me to see Pokemon movesets that try to use a Pokemon attack for every single attack.
:(

The way I tackle Pokemon movesets is by giving them their few signature attacks, then making up a bunch of other ones that would fit the character, and matching actual attacks for those from there. Personally, I still think Electrode is one of my best movesets...

But I know what you're saying. When you just start slapping on random attacks that have nothing to do with the character specifically, it starts getting pointless.

Lenus, with an SSE/OPS/SM/BBQ? What a twist! Gotta be readin' that...

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I still await a read from you, K.Rool
or if you already read, a comment, maybe?

Anyway, I'm putting my BBQ on hiatus until I've done another moveset. Any one of these any of you would like to see first?

- FROG -

- GEMINI MAN -

- BUTTERFLY KIRBY -

I'm open to working on any of them before the others, so I'll just go with whatever's most popular, or the first request, or whatever. I don't care. I just want to do a moveset again. :laugh:

Smady

Smash Master
You've already done at least one Kirby and Mega Man moveset so far, so do Frog. I'd like to see how you handle a Square RPG moveset. ;)

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
X-Strike!!! Bring Cyrus back from the dead for the Duel Tech YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO ZOMG FINAL SMASH IDEA

I assume he will have a very disgusting tether recovery/ranged grab.

I'd like to see what you do with Gemini Man, as well.

Butterfly Kirby? Does he fight butterflys? Sorry, my Kirby is a bit rusty, apparently.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
You've already done at least one Kirby and Mega Man moveset so far, so do Frog. I'd like to see how you handle a Square RPG moveset. ;)
Good point. Frog it is, then!

Fun fact: SirKibble's favorite two franchises are (I'm sure this was impossible to guess) Kirby and Mega Man. His favorite game of all time. . .is Chrono Trigger.

X-Strike!!! Bring Cyrus back from the dead for the Duel Tech YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO ZOMG FINAL SMASH IDEA

I assume he will have a very disgusting tether recovery/ranged grab.

I'd like to see what you do with Gemini Man, as well.

Butterfly Kirby? Does he fight butterflys? Sorry, my Kirby is a bit rusty, apparently.
Lol, I try to steer clear of Dual Techs with the moveset. I didn't use any in my Crono moveset in MYM3, as I rather don't like the idea of using another character for an attack when the characters aren't a team.

We'll see about that grab, though, eh? :lick:

Gemini Man will be fun for what will undoubtedly be his special mechanic.

And Butterfly Kirby. . .is totally not real. Lol, it's just an avatar on this site. If you've seen the picture, you know as much about him as I do. :chuckle:

Smady

Smash Master
EXPOSEDFun fact: SirKibble's favorite two franchises are (I'm sure this was impossible to guess) Kirby and Mega Man. His favorite game of all time. . .is Chrono Trigger.
So it's like you're completing SirKibble's triforce of gaming with this moveset. :laugh:

I look forward to it. Have never played Chrono Trigger, but have spoiled myself to its story over the years, like FFVI. :dizzy:

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
lol I R Fail @ butterfly kirby.

Although I must confess, I briefly enjoyed a mental scene in which Kirby brutalizes a harmless butterfly in passing for absolutely no reason.

Yeah....X-Strike would just be a different-looking Critical Hit, anyways.

I'm gonna stop making suggestions now.

I was thinking of doing either Celes Chere from VI (Runic-mechanic) or Cecil Harvey from IV (Dark Knight/Paladin-switch mechanic).

MYM needs more oldschool Final Fantasy representatives methinks.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
:(

The way I tackle Pokemon movesets is by giving them their few signature attacks, then making up a bunch of other ones that would fit the character, and matching actual attacks for those from there. Personally, I still think Electrode is one of my best movesets...

But I know what you're saying. When you just start slapping on random attacks that have nothing to do with the character specifically, it starts getting pointless.
Nein! Nothing against Electrode; its attacks didn't feel unnatural at all mostly :p. Regardless, everything was implemented very well. :D

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Nein! Nothing against Electrode; its attacks didn't feel unnatural at all mostly :p. Regardless, everything was implemented very well. :D
Ah! Excellent, then. I'm glad we're all in agreement about this. *puts away gun* Thank you.

I wanna see Gemini Man, Kibble! I WANNA SEE! Oh well, that'll show up eventually, too. I can wait.

SparkZ

Smash Cadet
UNOFFICIAL ESPEON REVIEW

I dunno, I'm not too fond of Espeon. I mean, I really like the Pokemon, but you have TONS of excess detail in there, almost rivalling Robotnik. Not to mention you list all of those animations, when almost all of them are just standard flips, dodges, etc. If it's not necessary, don't put it. Many of the attacks are unique, but almost TOO unique, if that makes sense.

Like Hidden Power, for example. tl;dr. That gargantuan paragraph describing all those formulas...FAIL.

All those who want to have math problems in their MYM sets, please raise your hand.

*Cricket chirps*

Exactly.

And Pickup? Urgh, no thanks. Way too variable to have any bearing on an actual match. You'd probably never get the item you were hoping for...and that brings me to another point: there are about six berries in that list with the EXACT SAME EFFECT. Why are all of them there? And you do realize that 1/8 of your health can be pretty large depending on your current percentage? And how can Espeon eat a berry to cure freeze if it's frozen?

My other issue with the moveset is that it's not true to the character. Hell, you could probably replace any other Pokemon with it and it wouldn't be any different. I mean, none of the moves (except the Psychic-type moves) are associated with Espeon. The trick to making a good Pokemon moveset is choosing moves that are associated with that Pokemon, not just any random move they can use.

Basically, it looks like you're just trying to put in as many Pokemon moves as you can, and it makes your set feel sloppy and disconnected. I'd stick to a few key Psychic type moves as attacks, instead of using random moves like "Giga Impact" for your Final Smash or weather-changing moves as aerials. Just doesn't fit, man.

And taunts shouldn't heal BTW.

I'M DONE
here is my reply to that. i wasn't expecting people to read the math equations for Hidden Power, which is why I put a warning sign on the beginning of that part. Feel free to ignore it.
The point of Pickup is not to hope for a certain item, no no. It is too random for that. Rather, you are supposed to make the best out of whatever you get, and dump that which is mostly worthless. There are plenty of goodies in there to use, wheter or not you were expecting it. It is like the Hammer. You got a 7. Sure, a 9 would have been better, but it is still useful, anyways.
There is a difference between the berries! They have different Natural Gift attacks!
Fine, I will change it to 1/10th.
About the freeze berry, this is a fighting video game. It can defy reality when it wants to.
My style is to use all of the available moves for the character before I make up my own, and I NEVER want to add a generic kick/punch attack to the moveset, as it seems you want me to do. And, if I chose only their signature moves, then I would probably end up with about 5 generic Psychic attacks, 3 generic Iron Tail attacks, 4 generic Psybeam attacks, 2 generic Swift attacks, and Morning Sun. I crave individuality. Variety is the spice of life. And, Giga Impact for Final Smash isn't random, it is the coolest sounding move that Espeon could learn, so I made it the final smash.
Finally, I will tone down the healing for the taunt until it is as useless as Luigi's kick. Are you happy?

Tornadith

Smash Journeyman
*Sends Sundance _______________ on __________ Day,
So it's like you're completing SirKibble's triforce of gaming with this moveset. :laugh:

I look forward to it. Have never played Chrono Trigger, but have spoiled myself to its story over the years, like FFVI. :dizzy:

Smash Daddy

Just post 5 more times and then no more.

BTW: Princesspeachluver13, you are amazing because you love Kingdom Hearts. High five. Can't wait to see a Zexion moveset.

princesspeachluver13

Banned via Warnings

Tanookie

Smash Journeyman
*sends Sundance a leather harness on Dragon Apprec
here is my reply to that. Yay! My comments will be in red.

i wasn't expecting people to read the math equations for Hidden Power, which is why I put a warning sign on the beginning of that part. Feel free to ignore it. Then why put it in? It just makes the set harder to read.

The point of Pickup is not to hope for a certain item, no no. It is too random for that. Rather, you are supposed to make the best out of whatever you get, and dump that which is mostly worthless. There are plenty of goodies in there to use, wheter or not you were expecting it. It is like the Hammer. You got a 7. Sure, a 9 would have been better, but it is still useful, anyways. Mkay. That makes sense. Thank you for clarifying, although you might want to put that in the move's description so that people don't get the same impression I did. Although I still think it's a little TOO random, but whatev.

There is a difference between the berries! They have different Natural Gift attacks! Ah, I didn't see that before. My mistake. =)

Fine, I will change it to 1/10th. Coolio. That's also a more 'round' number so it's easier for us to see what percentage would be healed in game.

About the freeze berry, this is a fighting video game. It can defy reality when it wants to. I gotta give you that. It was mostly just me nitpicking and being a b*tch. I apologize.

My style is to use all of the available moves for the character before I make up my own, and I NEVER want to add a generic kick/punch attack to the moveset, as it seems you want me to do. Well you must have read me wrong. I never said generic attacks, just make the ones you already have fit Espeon more. Right now they seem to be really random and slapped together...like Frankenstein's Monster.

And, if I chose only their signature moves, then I would probably end up with about 5 generic Psychic attacks, 3 generic Iron Tail attacks, 4 generic Psybeam attacks, 2 generic Swift attacks, and Morning Sun. See, there's the challenge; you gotta turn moves like that into unique attacks! Instead of transplanting in-game attacks to their moveset (the mistake I made in Alucard's moveset), give them new properties...for example, make Morning Sun an attacking move! That, my friend, is the mark of a truly great MYM'er.

I crave individuality. Great! The world needs more individuality.

Variety is the spice of life. Of course, you can only speak for yourself--but that's just me nitpicking again. Although, I don't really see what purpose quoting William Cowper serves other than restating your opinion.

And, Giga Impact for Final Smash isn't random, it is the coolest sounding move that Espeon could learn, so I made it the final smash. Well, it wasn't random to you, but it sure was random to me. It's all about perception. I'm sure Sakurai didn't see MK or DDD as broken...but they are. :p

Finally, I will tone down the healing for the taunt until it is as useless as Luigi's kick. We established that Luigi's kick isn't useless. But regardless, it probably would be a good idea to drop the healing entirely; especially since you have such a high chances of getting a healing berry from Pickup.

Are you happy? Well, if nothing, I'm glad you defended your moveset so well.
Fix'd for readability. Seriously, man, space out your paragraphs.

Mkay, so you seem slightly...miffed, shall I say? Or at least that's the impression I get from the second part of the response. My 'review' was merely my opinion on the moveset; you are in no way obligated to follow my reccomendations exactly, if at all. Although it would be a good idea to takes some of the suggestions into consideration, especially since there are several others who share my view and they're the ones responsible for getting you a spot in the Top 50.

And I leave you with a quote by the Master of Pokemon sets, KingK.Rool:

What To Do: give them their few signature attacks, then make up a bunch of other ones that would fit the character, and match actual attacks for those from there.

What NOT To Do: start slapping on random attacks that have nothing to do with the character specifically.

kitsuneko345

Smash Ace
*sending Sundance lots of apple pies on Pi Day, as
*Raises hand*

It's because of the review I just posted, isn't it?
Not exactly... I just decide to post this right now. I based it on a system of three questions.

Are you a newcomer? (Trust me, I think a newcomers voice can help them and others as well)

Are you a regular at this time? (should be obvious)

How many movesets have you made? (I don't want anyone too bundled up in this contest)

So Yeah...

GOT IT? GOOD!

EDIT: I just checked your sig... You're not a NEWCOMER?? I'll have to think about this...

REEDIT: Sorry. Didn't see the lurker part... You're still in the running.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I'm getting behind on my MYM work...

I don't think I can keep up. The stress is too great.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I'm getting behind on my MYM work...

I don't think I can keep up. The stress is too great.
Take a break. Noone forces you to rush things. Noone forces you to do all movesets you announced. Noone will execute you if you don't update your Story Mode in a bit. I did that, too. It helps a lot. =)

__

Great News: I've Decided on three possible candidates to help me with reviews.
How so?

Good idea.

LenUs Altair
Fix'd, and good choice.

Ehhh... I dunno if that's such a good idea.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Take a break. Noone forces you to rush things. Noone forces you to do all movesets you announced. Noone will execute you if you don't update your Story Mode in a bit. I did that, too. It helps a lot. =)
I just don't think my movesets and BBQ will be finished by the end of the contest.

I need to enjoy my vacation. Thanks, Spade.

*takes a break*

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
For my first MYM...

Astro Boy

A (Punch) 3-4%

AAA (Punch x 3) 3-4% 1st two hits, 3-5% third hit; third hit's knockback equal to the final hit of Pit's AAA combo

Forward A (Side Kick) Does a side kick like Mario's Forward A for 10%. Knockback equal to Lucario's Foward A (Lucario being at around 40% damage)

Up A (Headbutt) Does a headbutt, like King Dedede's. Knockback equal to Mario's Up A with the same knockback, too. 10%

Down A (Engine Kick) Hold's out his foot as he thrust fire from his rocket boot. 10% damage with knockback equal to Wolf's Down Air. This attack's knockback knocks the opponent upwards.

Dash Attack (Charges forward with his shoulder. 7-9% with vertical knockback equal to Lucas's Dash Attack)

Neutral Air (Spins vertically with both arms out, looks like Mario's Down Air/Mario Tornado. Can hit up to four times. Only the 1st hit has knockback. 3-4% per hit, knockback equal to Mario's Forward Air)

Forward Air (Does a dropkick. 7-9%, knockback equal to Luigi's Back Air)

Up Air (Does a spinning rising headbutt. 7-9%, knockback equal to Ness's Up Air)

Down Air (Jet Spike) Like R.O.B.'s Down A, Astro fires up his jets that make up his feet. 10-13%, with knockback equal to Ivysaur's Down Air

Grab Attack (Pummels the opponent) 2-3% per hit

Forward Throw (Blasts the opponent forward with by turning his arm into a cannon and firing a spurt of energy; Knockback equal to Charizard's forward throw) 10-12%

Up Throw (Throws the opponent upwards and fires his finger laser at them; Knockback equal to Fox's Up Throw) 7-8%

Backwards Throw (Throws the opponent away and fires his rear hip-mounted guns at them; Knockback equal to Fox's Back Throw) 7-9%

Down Throw (Throws the opponent down and burns them with this feet booster; Knockback equal to Squirtle's Down Throw) 8-11%

Forward Smash (Hold's out both arms in their arm cannon forms and let's loose a puff of energy. The longer the Smash his charged, the bigger the energy's hitbox will be. Minimum Charge: 6-8%; Maximum Charge: 15-20%; Knockback equal to Mario's Forward smash)

Up Smash (Lifts his left arm cannon, with his right arm gripping it, then lets loose a puff of energy. The longer you charge the smash, the bigger the energy spurt will be. Minimum Charge: 8-10%; Maximum Charge: 15-22%; Knockback equal to Ivysaur's Up Smash)

Down Smash (Does a breakdance like spin kick on the ground. He spins twice and each spin can hit two times, so this move can hit up to 4 times. This attack has very little knockback due to this. Minimum Charge: 2-3% per hit; Maximim Charge: 4-5% per hit. Highest knockback is equal to being hit by Luca's PK Fire)

B (Finger Laser) A chargeable projectile that takes 4 seconds to fully charge. 1-10%. Very little knockback even when fully charged.

Forward B (Jet Dash) Astro Boy spins before launching in whatever direction you influence, like Fox's Fire Fox. Can hit mulitple times and can drag the opponent along like Wolf's Fire Wolf. Can hit up to 6 times, 2-3% per hit. Knockback on final hit equal to Pit's Forward Air.

Up B (Rocket Upper) Astro flies upwards and diagonally while performing an uppercut. His jets can also do damage and can meteor smash. The amount of damage from either the actual uppercut or the jets is the same, but the knock back is different. 10-12%, the uppercut has knockback equal to Wario's Corkscrew, the jets have knockback equal to Ness's Down Air)

Down B (Hyper Strength) Hold down Down & B to charge up strength. All of Astro Boy's A attacks (not throws) will do increased damage compared to how long this move was charged. Can be charged for 5 seconds, and the effects last for 15 seconds or until Astro Boy flinches from an attack (but not from tripping).

Final Smash: Omega Factor (Astro hovers from the ground, unless you're already in the air, and glows as a radius of light and energy pulses and circles around him. You can have Astro slowly move forward or backwards while using this. The range of each energy pulse is slightly bigger than Donkey Kong's Final Smash used perfectly, and the knockback from each pulse of energy is about the same as Fox's Landmaster when usingthe Landmaster to rotate (barrel roll), while the final blast has the knockback of actually being rundown by Fox's Landmaster. The Final Smash lasts about six seconds, with one pulse per second. 7-10% per pulse, with the final pulse doing 15-20%)

Jumps: Astro Boy as only two jumps; his second jump allows him to hover in the air thanks to his jets for as long as Peach can)

Taunt 1 (Thumbs up towards the screen)

Taunt 2 (Faces the screen and charges arm cannon)

Taunt 3 (Faces the screen, closes his eyes, hold's out arms and opens his chest cavity, revealing circuitry)

Stun Pose: Astro Boy smacks himself upside the head with both hands trying to regain himself.

Sleep Pose: Sleep while standing up

Intro Pose (Astro Boy is already on screen, wearing his civilian clothes. He closes his eyes and his body flashes. His clothes vanish and he is now wearing his "standard" attire, like in the picture above)

Victory 1 (Flies towards the screen from the background, spins, then raises his right arm in triumph while hovering above the ground)

Victory 2 (Somersaults in the air, lands, then thumbs up)

Victory 3 (Slowly hovers down to the ground, but his jets malfunction, so he falls on his rear and looks embarrassed)

Vertical Weight (as light or as heavy as Ike)

Horizontal Weight (see Vertical weight)

Snake's Conversation:
Snake: Otacon...is that...
Otacon: Whoa! Snake! That's Astro Boy! He's a legend in the animé and manga communities! You could say he's the sole reason for Japanese animation becoming a mainstream medium!
Snake: Calm down, Otacon! I need you to give my some intel on the guy!
Otacon: O-Okay...well, he has an engine with over 100, 000 horsepower, which gives him superstrength and superseed, he also has X-Ray vision and jets inside his boots for flight, his arms are energy weapons...oh! He also has supersonic hearing! That, and ability to learn and adapt!
Snake: He sounds like some sort of superman!
Otacon: Don't let his childlike appearance fool you. That robot is as dangerous as any Metal Gear.

Kirby: Wears Astro Boy's hairstyle.

Series Assist Trophy
Atlas: Flies around while surrounded by a field of energy. Contact does 12% damage, and the knockback is about the same asWolf's Up Smash, including the fact that the knockback always sends you upwards.

Stage: Metro City
You fight on a skywalk above a large city during the day. Many bright skyscrapers and buildings are in the background. You're so high up, you can actually see the roofs of those buildings! The main platform is in the middle, with large moving main platforms to the left and right; there is a glass walkway connecting the left main platform to the main center platform and a glass walkway connecting the right main platform to the center main platform. The glass walkways can break with enough damage and reforms after time has passed. There are two sub-platforms (floating platforms you can drop through) in the air. High up in the air, occasionally and randomly, flying cars will whiz by. If by chance a player gets knocked high enough and makes contact with a car, the take 30% and high knockback, enough to possibly send them out of the stage!

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I was thinking of doing either Celes Chere from VI (Runic-mechanic) or Cecil Harvey from IV (Dark Knight/Paladin-switch mechanic).

MYM needs more oldschool Final Fantasy representatives methinks.
YES!

Do Celes now in MYM4 (Kefka is already done!). I will do Golbez in MYM5, then you should do Cecil for it, too, so we can have always a pair of FF oldskool awesome! :bee:

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I may do Kain in MYM5- might as well have the 3 of them :laugh:.

If I don't get round to him someone needs to do him.

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
Lenus Altair

Comments?
Spadefox already fixed the spelling, though it doesn't bother me. I might be up for it, but this is my first week of new classes, so I want to feel out my workload before I commit to anything new. Ill keep in touch.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
@princesspeachluver:
Ugh. Would you mind stopping that? =/

It's not "the next SSE thing".

Every Story Mode is written by their respective authors, and the characters in every of them are decided by these authors.

Many people have their rosters finalized already (MasterWarlord and me for instance), others don't take requests (SirKibble or KingK.Rool as example), and there are a few who maybe will take requests, though you would have to ask the authors by yourself, and not here in this thread.
The Story Modes are only losely related to the contest itself. If you want your characters to be in, go and ask authors - not via this thread, though.

Thanks for your attention.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I'll see if I can find a way to put Marluxia into my SM, as I need some more villains, and Zexion isn't evil enough.

I'm not promising anything here, but if he fits he can be in.

As Spadefox has said, I'm not really requesting characters, I'll choose them according to the situation I am doing, and if they don't fit then I apologize. However, I will try and get at least one moveset from each of the regulars on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom