• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanookie

Smash Journeyman
*sends Sundance a leather harness on Dragon Apprec
^_^

Yay for compliments! Thanks, guys; it really means a lot to me that my hard work payed off. Now I just gotta wait for all the bad stuff and criticisms and such...

*Sits patiently*

@ Mendez: Yeah, I had a bit of trouble working out the casting time. :p I wasn't sure how to make it balanced, but I wasn't thinking enough "outside the box," I guess...those suggestions defintely work, though. Thanks. Oh, and my comment worked; I wasn't putting in my e-mail address. >_<

Tanookie

Smash Journeyman
Down Special: Genbu’s Blessing- As the button is held down, Maria is surrounded by an indigo glow for approximately 3.5 seconds as she chants nonsensical words under her breath. When the spell is finished casting, Maria shouts “Genbu!” as the outline of a turtle appears and is sucked into her body. A white shaft of light surrounds Maria and unseen wind carries her hair upwards, and when the light fades, her damage is healed! However, for approximately ten seconds after the spell is cast, Maria's speed and jump height are decreased by half--after all, Genbu's a tortoise. During that time, Maria cannot cast this spell again. While Maria is being healed, she is not given invincibility frames, so be sure to attack her before she is finished casting the spell. If Maria is attacked before the end of this move, the attack is cancelled and her damage does not recover, but she still retains the slowing effect. [15% healed.]
I changed the cast time to 3.5 sec and gave her a slowing and jumping impediment for ten seconds afterwards (during which time she cannot cast the spell). Methinks it's more balanced now?

Weldar

Smash Cadet
Well I've cleaned up my Salsa moveset back on page 56 if anyone cares. It's now a slightly more spaced out wall of text with a few pictures, and I added the ledge and get up attack I'd forgotten to add before.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I changed the cast time to 3.5 sec and gave her a slowing and jumping impediment for ten seconds afterwards (during which time she cannot cast the spell). Methinks it's more balanced now?
It seems pretty good, but maybe she shouldn't get the speed penalty if she's stopped, I'd say potentially taking heavy damage from your opponent is enough of a penalty.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
yo K rool! if u have electrode done, can u post him soon?

Leave the poor guy alone. He'll post when he's good and ready. Nack was finished long before MYM4 even started, and I waited till page 56 to post him.
Thanks, Hyper_Ridley. I got the alt. colours done. Alt costume (Voltorb) and miscellaneous extras to go. Then I think I'll wait a while. I plan to wait until pretty much all this discussion dies down, and no one really has anything to talk about anymore. Snorlax was lost pretty quickly, and I don't want that to happen again.

And by the way, I won't be able to get Fang's (I'm gonna keep calling him that throughout the review :p) review up tonight, as it's late and I need my Rest. Tomorrow, though, for sure.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
And by the way, I won't be able to get Fang's (I'm gonna keep calling him that throughout the review :p) review up tonight, as it's late and I need my Rest. Tomorrow, though, for sure.
I honestly don't care what name you refer to him by. I'm not one of those elitists who b*tches everytime someone calls Eggman "Robotnik" or vice-versa. Same with Nack/Fang.

@PrepareYourself: To start, you could say the priority and startup/end lag for each attack. Those are vital to determining how balanced a character is.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
I cannot believe we can only vote for 10 movesets.

What ever happened to 50? I think that with all the quality movesets, it won't be nearly as hard to find good ones.:ohwell:

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I honestly don't care what name you refer to him by. I'm not one of those elitists who b*tches everytime someone calls Eggman "Robotnik" or vice-versa. Same with Nack/Fang.
OH MY GOOOOZ I HATE THOSE GUYS WHO CALL HIM ROBOTNIK

I kid, I kid. Anyway, Nack and Fang are both really snappy names. I guess it all depends on which one you heard first.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Woah, somebody beat TWIL to the punch.... I don't think he'll be happy about that.
You bet i'm not!! I'm like "whoa wtf?" right now!! :mad:

@[

Ooooo, TWILTY's not gonna' like this...
I know!!! I wanted to make Kalas so much lol.

@TWILTY: You could...but really it's better to post the entire moveset. It's just more exciting and invitig that way.

Bide your time, I say.
Alright, but then i won't be able to post Ilyana until page 150 then :ohwell:

USmash is Shining Seraph. (Spirit Attack)

Urg, I can't think of ways to add detail :urg:
What Hyper_Ridley said. Just add speed to the attacks, range and all that blah blah blah.

UGh, i wanted to make Kalas so much. I'll feel like a douche now, if i make him :urg:

/I'maBatenKaitosfanboy.

Also, is there really only allowed to be only 10 votes? Cause then that'll be kinda limited, cause there won't be a top 50. Just keep the up to 50 votes rule....

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Oh, gosh... One goes without the internet for a day or two, and this thread has 68 PAGES?!!

This is madness!

Tanookie

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, Hyper_Ridley. I got the alt. colours done. Alt costume (Voltorb) and miscellaneous extras to go. Then I think I'll wait a while. I plan to wait until pretty much all this discussion dies down, and no one really has anything to talk about anymore. Snorlax was lost pretty quickly, and I don't want that to happen again.
Aww...I liked Snorlax. :(

Looking forward to Electrode btw.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Oh my, Kibble's back! Good luck to you, man. Although, for the most part, you just need to drop in The Stadium and see the list of movesets. Skim through those and you'll have a good idea of what's been going on.

Because really, there hasn't been any important discussion per se. So unless you're obsessive-compulsive like me, you won't have to read every single post.

Tanookie: Why thank you. I don't think he has the same greatness as my Headless Horseman (which placed #3 in the last MYM, lest we forget!), but I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. And considerably more so for Electrode.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Oh, gosh... One goes without the internet for a day or two, and this thread has 68 PAGES?!!

This is madness!
OMG Kibble's still alive!

Lesse, Spadefox posted two great move sets, Warlord posted one if not two great move sets, I posted a great move set, Lionheart posted a great move set, K.Rool posted a great move set...

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
The voting policy is the same as MYM 3 from what I know. I'm 99.9% sure of this. 10 votes worth 2 points, 40 votes worth one point.

I've finished reading Robuttockstnicholas, but now I've gotta go for a bit, so the review will have to wait yet longer.

That said, the moveset IS awesome.

I'd be happy to read Rock and Roll Cruxis, but I've got all the more reviews to do. Perhaps you could request one on the blog?

Kibble's back? Thank god. Take a look at the review que, pronto.

(With my ridiculously large SSE and all these reviews, there's no way I'll get around to BB and Zass this contest. . .)

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Madness? This.. Is... SMASHBOARDS!!! *kicks*
*falls into pit*

Yay for intranet memes!

Lol its good to have you back.

And now I think the reviews will go even faster. :)
Probably not right away. I'm in kind of quick right now, but I'll be back full throttle tomorrow. Thanksgiving Break has meant little time on the comp, but as of tomorrow, I'll be back at college, and ready to rock and roll this thing!

Oh my, Kibble's back! Good luck to you, man. Although, for the most part, you just need to drop in The Stadium and see the list of movesets. Skim through those and you'll have a good idea of what's been going on.
I have a feeling that's exactly what I'll do. Just check the movesets, that is. If anyone said anything else in these past 1,000+ posts that they'd like me to see... PM me.

Because really, there hasn't been any important discussion per se. So unless you're obsessive-compulsive like me, you won't have to read every single post.
It's tempting, because I hate being left out of so much discussion, but I'm thinking the movesets will have to suffice.

EDIT:

MasterWarlord said:
The voting policy is the same as MYM 3 from what I know. I'm 99.9% sure of this. 10 votes worth 2 points, 40 votes worth one point.
If you'll recall, we were divided on that. Those numbers are definitely subject to change as the contest continues.

Take a look at the review que, pronto.
I've seen it. Don't think I'll be getting to anything till tomorrow, though.

darkserenade

Smash Ace

This is madness!
Hey, Skibble... I was just complaining about a certain rule...

Anyway, don't listen to me at all, but I think it would be better to go back to the 50 vote rule. I mean, seriously, look at the past few pages. There have been far more quality movesets than last contest. I don't think it'll be nearly as hard to think for 50 decent movesets.

Just a suggestion, though. Sorry if I come off as rude.

EDIT: Booooo. You wanted us to PM you? Oh well, what's done is done.

[color=20202020]EDIT2: Mwahahah. I caused an international uproar in MYM 4.[/color]

SonicBoom2

Smash Journeyman
OH wow, I thought you were dead...
lol

You didn't miss much other than 10 awesome movesets (which were not mine :(, nor will I ever have one >_>)

Somebody should really put a voting policy on the front page.

EDIT:

OoooOo, I just saw your sig,
I made a ProtoMan.EXE... Hope you don't mind

Tanookie

Smash Journeyman
*Final plug before bed*

So, yeah...if anyone wants to look at my Maria Renard moveset and make suggestions, that'd be great. Link's in mah sig. But it's also at the top of page 65 if you wanna get specific. I'm pretty sure I finished; I think her Down Special is balanced and I also fixed some wording and added her Unlock Message (how that took me so long to figure out, I don't know).

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Hmm.

I think just going 10 seconds without access to the move might be enough. The only other life-gaining attacks I can think of that MYM has seen (granted I don't remember every moveset, so I guarantee there are others) are Dracula's Soul Steal, and Cervantes' ability to consume the souls he steals with...Soul Steal.

In the case of the former, that move was balanced since the move was A) not all that quick and B) had no range at all. If the foe's model wasn't actually touching Dracula's, it would miss with bad ending lag. Also the move only restored a fraction of what it dealt, which wasn't all that much most of the time.

In the case of the latter...actually I don't remember how it was balanced, but it was. 'Warlord could probably tell you.

ANYWAYS

In Maria's case, she can use the move whenever, without the "aid" of an opponent. Honestly I think you might be better off just making the move negate damage or something, like it does in Portrait of Ruin, instead of regaining life. :ohwell:

I cannot believe we can only vote for 10 movesets.

What ever happened to 50? I think that with all the quality movesets, it won't be nearly as hard to find good ones.:ohwell:
Hmm.

Let me give you one reason why 10 is better than 50. Think of all the people that were disappointed because their moveset didn't get into the Top 50. Why did that happen? Because most people (and I know, since I counted them) voted for mostly the same movesets.

Some people strayed from the pack and gave a vote to WAMY or some random moveset they personally enjoyed...but the vast majority of voters all picked mostly the same stuff. The hope here is that with only 10 votes, you won't vote for the Dracula (hypothetically speaking) just because you've read so much praise for it.

You'll all actually vote for the movesets you thought were the absolute best, not just the ones everyone else thinks so highly of. Also the list is probably maybe going to be more than just the Top 50.

This is madness!
You really need to get caught up with the SBC man. You can catch up on the actual moveset-reading later, but for now it'd be great to have one more reviewer working with us.

EDIT -

@'Warlord: ...Man, we need to get our facts straight. :psycho:

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
lol

You didn't miss much other than 10 awesome movesets (which were not mine :(, nor will I ever have one >_>)

There are more than 10 awesome movesets... thats what makes the voting so painful.

@Warlord
The voting policy is on the front page... and unfortunately it says 10 votes with 3 being super votes...

@Mendez
Do you even see the flaw in the 10 vote system?
People aren't going to vote for anything other than the most praised sets.... Now you just take away the extra votes, worsening the situation.

~Cruxis~

Smash Ace
@All those who create SSEs:

I am sure you all know that I plan on making my own SSE, but I need some doctrine as to how I should begin my writing expedition. Do I begin with a thread in the User Blog section? And after I gain the necessary info, do I just post my chapter here? Of course, I know the rules of discretion, but I wish to start this on the right foot.

Tanookie

Smash Journeyman
Hmm.

I think just going 10 seconds without access to the move might be enough. The only other life-gaining attacks I can think of that MYM has seen (granted I don't remember every moveset, so I guarantee there are others) are Dracula's Soul Steal, and Cervantes' ability to consume the souls he steals with...Soul Steal.

In the case of the former, that move was balanced since the move was A) not all that quick and B) had no range at all. If the foe's model wasn't actually touching Dracula's, it would miss with bad ending lag. Also the move only restored a fraction of what it dealt, which wasn't all that much most of the time.

In the case of the latter...actually I don't remember how it was balanced, but it was. 'Warlord could probably tell you.

ANYWAYS

In Maria's case, she can use the move whenever, without the "aid" of an opponent. Honestly I think you might be better off just making the move negate damage or something, like it does in Portrait of Ruin, instead of regaining life. :ohwell:
...The worst part was, in my very very very first draft of Maria's moveset (in which I only had the specials and each special was related to one of the animals), her DownB was a turtle shell. But I thought that wasn't...'original' enough so I picked the healing move from NitM.

Cause we all know Symphony Maria >>> All other Maria even though Maria in general >>> Everybody else

Anyways, I might change it later. I'm too tired now. :/

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion

I am sure you all know that I plan on making my own SSE, but I need some doctrine as to how I should begin my writing expedition. Do I begin with a thread in the User Blog section? And after I gain the necessary info, do I just post my chapter here? Of course, I know the rules of discretion, but I wish to start this on the rigt foot.
Ok I'll give you some tips.

1. Post it in a User Blog.
2. Start your character list as soon as possible. You want to be organized.
3. Plan out the basics of what you are going to make your story. Once you have that, the details will start falling into place.
4. Don't post chapters here. It leads to mindless spam, and that is terrible for this contest.
5. Read the other SSE's and get ideas from them (though don't copy.)
6. Good luck. Writing an SSE is a lot harder than making a moveset.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Hey, Skibble... I was just complaining about a certain rule...

Anyway, don't listen to me at all, but I think it would be better to go back to the 50 vote rule. I mean, seriously, look at the past few pages. There have been far more quality movesets than last contest. I don't think it'll be nearly as hard to think for 50 decent movesets.

Just a suggestion, though. Sorry if I come off as rude.

EDIT: Booooo. You wanted us to PM you? Oh well, what's done is done.
That number's still up in the air. Didn't I say something about that in the first post... Well, if I didn't, I just did.

lol

EDIT:

OoooOo, I just saw your sig,
I made a ProtoMan.EXE... Hope you don't mind
Voting policy is in the first post.

And I don't mind you making ProtoMan.EXE, as my Proto Man is going to be a combination of Classic and .EXE, so it will be different.

Hmm.

Let me give you one reason why 10 is better than 50. Think of all the people that were disappointed because their moveset didn't get into the Top 50. Why did that happen? Because most people (and I know, since I counted them) voted for mostly the same movesets.

Some people strayed from the pack and gave a vote to WAMY or some random moveset they personally enjoyed...but the vast majority of voters all picked mostly the same stuff. The hope here is that with only 10 votes, you won't vote for the Dracula (hypothetically speaking) just because you've read so much praise for it.

You'll all actually vote for the movesets you thought were the absolute best, not just the ones everyone else thinks so highly of. Also the list is probably maybe going to be more than just the Top 50.

You really need to get caught up with the SBC man. You can catch up on the actual moveset-reading later, but for now it'd be great to have one more reviewer working with us.

EDIT -

@'Warlord: ...Man, we need to get our facts straight. :psycho:
Yes, yes, Mendez has good points. And I'll be over at SBC in just a second. We need to straighten some stuff out...

There are more than 10 awesome movesets... thats what makes the voting so painful.

@Warlord
The voting policy is on the front page... and unfortunately it says 10 votes with 3 being super votes...

@Mendez
Do you even see the flaw in the 10 vote system?
People aren't going to vote for anything other than the most praised sets.... Now you just take away the extra votes, worsening the situation.
Let's take this to SBC...

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion

I am sure you all know that I plan on making my own SSE, but I need some doctrine as to how I should begin my writing expedition. Do I begin with a thread in the User Blog section? And after I gain the necessary info, do I just post my chapter here? Of course, I know the rules of discretion, but I wish to start this on the right foot.
You should create the SSE in a user blog. After that, when you finish a chapter, just add it to that blog, and say that you've added a new one in the MYM social group.

fox219

Smash Journeyman
Lol who's your favorite character? (If I had to guess its someone with boobs. :) Only boobs can beat the awesomeness that is Bastian.)

In that case, you won't mind being the one to review him, right?
It's the ladies, right?

~Cruxis~

Smash Ace
Ok I'll give you some tips.

1. Post it in a User Blog.
2. Start your character list as soon as possible. You want to be organized.
3. Plan out the basics of what you are going to make your story. Once you have that, the details will start falling into place.
4. Don't post chapters here. It leads to mindless spam, and that is terrible for this contest.
5. Read the other SSE's and get ideas from them (though don't copy.)
6. Good luck. Writing an SSE is a lot harder than making a moveset.
Much appreciated. Though I assure you I lack much mediocrity in literature. The word "copy" and its synonyms are an anathema to a designer such as I. Now, I must fulfill the requisite of being able to post in the User Blog section. My account change has cursed me so...

SonicBoom2

Smash Journeyman
Voting policy is in the first post.

And I don't mind you making ProtoMan.EXE, as my Proto Man is going to be a combination of Classic and .EXE, so it will be different.
WHOOPS!
Didn't notice that part.

To Lionheart: Just making an estimate or so, I didn't actually count :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom