• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mangos Falco Advice

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
How do you switch between Falco and Puff? I'm trying to switch to Puff.
ok well basically, after your cursors on falco, you press B and then move like across 3 and down 1, then slam A. or you can do it the alternate method, of moving across 3 and down 1, and then press B>A as fast as you can, its more of a technical skill than the first option. just practise what you prefer, theres no 'right' answer. for added mindgames you can move your cursor over Puff in whichever way you choose, but then press B, so the cursor does a mini wavedash back to falco. this can put your opponent off, so if youre feeling like it, you can apply this before switching to puff for real.

dunno why i wrote that, i felt like taking the piss :( ps, dont go jiggs zhu

TresChikon

Smash Lord
ok well basically, after your cursors...before switching to puff for real.
Not trying to be ignorant, but I'm clueless as to what you just said. Elaborate?

EDIT: oh, doh, the character selection :/ hah funny

EDIT2: could this be the dawn of pregame mindgames?

P1: Hi! I'm gonna be Sheik

P2: That means I'll be Ganon

P1: What??!! Does not compute!

JPOBS

Smash Hero
is there anyway to DI peaches Dair so that you dont get nair'ed after?

peaches Dair->nair is really gay especially n recovery

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
you can SDI.

if you go up&in you can get hit by the reverse side and get hit onto the stage instead of off.

if youre really good maybe you can SDI out and sideb or upb?

Falcinho

Smash Ace
lol its not even that hard to SDI out if you expect to be hit with a dair

like when you're recovering with upB from below and she waits near the ledge/starts floating low near the ledge.

forward

Smash Champion
Mango's Falco is so ****ing legit, and he gives good advice, too.

Mango, I am also using the short hop away laser. Good stuff.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
you can SDI.

if you go up&in you can get hit by the reverse side and get hit onto the stage instead of off.

if youre really good maybe you can SDI out and sideb or upb?
So with the same mindset, is it possible to DI out of Fox's drill, with perfect or near perfect SDI? Or does the move force you to stay grounded?

Ryan-K

Smash Master
you can smash DI fox's drill away but not up

as a general rule you cant smash di moves that are untechable upwards, because when you land without having to tech you lose all stun, so the developers put it in so that you cant DI like that, otherwise people could start doing dumb **** like DI falco dairs up at low percent then hitting u as they land lol x_x

TresChikon

Smash Lord
you can smash DI fox's drill away but not up

as a general rule you cant smash di moves that are untechable upwards, because when you land without having to tech you lose all stun, so the developers put it in so that you cant DI like that, otherwise people could start doing dumb **** like DI falco dairs up at low percent then hitting u as they land lol x_x
Ooh yes, Upwards DI would be so incredibly broken. But thanks for the away DI tip.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
so sdi the dair eh?

thats just when you di in a direction within 5 frames of being hit right? i swear all these names confse the hell out of me sometimes

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Mango's Falco is so ****ing legit, and he gives good advice, too.

Mango, I am also using the short hop away laser. Good stuff.
why has no one said ne thing about forward....

hes the reason we all play falco.. lol

ahhhh forward ****

ill be back 2 giving advice 2morrow

-mango

<3

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i heard samus beats falco?

(at genesis ihavespaceballs beat shiz in a friendly set and beat zhu in a MM)

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
if your opponent is on a platform above you, say a character like, shiek, or someone that gets knocked up too high for a shine, what do you suggest doing? i feel when i go up with a dair, that when i land it's too late to combo, sorry if this sounds confusing.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
i heard samus beats falco?

(at genesis ihavespaceballs beat shiz in a friendly set and beat zhu in a MM)
Samus does pretty well against both spacies, actually. The match up is more than likely in the spacies favor, but it's still an irritating match.

Samus has CC, a great OOS game, and her edgeguard ****s up both spacies hardcore.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
How do you switch between Falco and Puff? I'm trying to switch to Puff.
I've started doing this on gay *** counterpicks again. The trick is to just chill the **** out and take it way slower with Puff. Take a couple shots, or a hit or w/e you need to calm down and just space gay *** ridiculously broken moves all game.

Oh and jump off stage, Jiggs is a little better than Falco out there.

Play puff in teams a lot and you'll learn all the stupid stuff you can do with her quickly and then just start being a ****** and counterpick Mute.

MaNg0 how do I make myself legit good at this game?

EDIT: and forward is too good, are you guys actually coming to S.N.E.S.? Cause if so, I might actually go.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
MANGOOOO

What do you do when you laser camp into a laser approach? If I dash attack or dsmash / side smash, I get shield grabbed. I can always jab but then it pushes them too far away for me to grab them, and wd > grab takes too long to actually work in this situation. Sometimes dtilt works if it can poke through their shield, but not always, and in which case I also get shieldgrabbed. Should I just laser approach into a shine > shffl'd dair / shffl'd nair? Or maybe a shffl'd nair / dair > shine? Is pressuring their shield the only way to approach, or is there something else I can do? I remember watching Lambchops laser approach into some grabs at Genesis, and I suppose I can try that, but it's pretty ****ing hard to outgrab a Fox / Marth / Sheik. I could also try getting behind their shield so they don't shieldgrab me, but if I'm facing Fox, the player usually just does a shffl'd bair out of shield or something, and it doesn't really lead into anything for me.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
mogwai - practice ur spacing =D

after dawn - theres a few things u can do while approaching the oldest one being into grabs .. but times are changing and people react to that **** now lol
Another thing is like laser like 2 feet away from them... and then do a dash dance and wait for them 2 do something and if u space ur dash dance u bait out an attack then u get a free hit
Against fox its a bad idea 2 hit there shield because foxes now and days can do shine out of shield so u wanna space around there shield
Or u can do the super classic and laser approach 2 some dairs or nairs like i do =D

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
lol okay, but what is the timing to L-cancel the dair / nair? Is it the same if you were just doing it against an opponent and having hitlag or is it like just doing it by yourself with no one around and being able to do it quickly? Or does it have its own timing that I need to figure out?

MaNg0

Smash Hero
uhhhhhhhhhhhh the timing is wellll

theres 2 way ... the super fast original falco way where u just do it as fast as u can which is aight

OR

theres the super cool unique mango way where u do the nairs/dairs really slowly ... wait till ur halfway in the air or lower then do ur move then fast fall it

and the timing from hitting someones shield to hitting them or hitting nothing is diffrent im 90 percent sure

Pi

Smash Hero
yea the timing is diff
set up a bowser against a wall w/ handicap and damage ratio on 5 and just shorthop dair/nair shine him as fast as you can to get the timing down

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
and the timing from hitting someones shield to hitting them or hitting nothing is diffrent im 90 percent sure
okay and um

Do you know if the timing for it is in between hitting nothing and hitting them? Or is it both slower than hitting nothing and hitting them? Cause when I try pressuring shields, I usually miss the L-cancel, and then if I get the L-cancel I sometimes mess up the shine for some reason.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
mogwai - practice ur spacing =D
rite, I will play moar n' space, kthx

after dawn - theres a few things u can do while approaching the oldest one being into grabs .. but times are changing and people react to that **** now lol
Another thing is like laser like 2 feet away from them... and then do a dash dance and wait for them 2 do something and if u space ur dash dance u bait out an attack then u get a free hit
Against fox its a bad idea 2 hit there shield because foxes now and days can do shine out of shield so u wanna space around there shield
Or u can do the super classic and laser approach 2 some dairs or nairs like i do =D
Falco doubleshine beats Fox's shine OoS and you can condition them to be scared of the doubleshine so that they don't try it. I learned to doubleshine so that I could attack PC's shield :p.

BORING FRAME STUFF WARNING. Red is when they aren't in shield stun anymore:
1 You Shine, Hitlag
2 Hitlag
3 Hitlag
4 Hitlag
5 Hitlag
8 You Start Jump

11Fox Starts Jump
13 You're Airborne (You Shine now, Fox tried to jump, so he no longer has a shield, combo him till he's dead))
14 Fox's Airborne (He can Shine you now, but w/e, if he shines you, it's just 5%)

So you have a 1 frame advantage with your double shine vs. his shine OoS.

Which is not to say that spacing vs. his shield is a bad idea, just that with double shining, you can still attack their shield.

lol okay, but what is the timing to L-cancel the dair / nair? Is it the same if you were just doing it against an opponent and having hitlag or is it like just doing it by yourself with no one around and being able to do it quickly? Or does it have its own timing that I need to figure out?
It's the same as hitting them, both generate the same hitlag, shielding can just screw up when you hit them and thus screw up your fast fall.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
i think 'mango's super cool' way is better... i dunno, i do both, and it seems to me that waiting til youre half in the air and then doing your aerial forces you to hit the middle of the shield, which makes you take less time to hit the ground and shine and all that. sometimes if you just try to do it as fast as you can, you end up mis-spacing it and hitting the top of the shield... which is bad because you take longer to hit the ground and the stun from hitting their shield wears off quicker. please correct me if im thinking the wrong way haha

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Really? wtf.

I honestly thought that hitting a shield had more hitlag than hitting them, but I guess I'm wrong
Yea, it's sorta surprising. You'll notice it though if you pay attention to what happens when you've already started your fast fall and land an attack. The only thing that hitting a shield does to screw up l-cancels is mess up your fast falling (due to hitlag, when the game is basically frozen so that when you smash down on the control stick, it doesn't register).

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
i think 'mango's super cool' way is better... i dunno, i do both, and it seems to me that waiting til youre half in the air and then doing your aerial forces you to hit the middle of the shield, which makes you take less time to hit the ground and shine and all that. sometimes if you just try to do it as fast as you can, you end up mis-spacing it and hitting the top of the shield... which is bad because you take longer to hit the ground and the stun from hitting their shield wears off quicker. please correct me if im thinking the wrong way haha
I think you're right lol, I mean if I try approaching with nair as a replacement for laser, it actually works really well. And once I think of it, that's exactly what Mango was saying.

I only do it with nair though, I don't think I've tried it with dair yet.

DRD

Smash Lord
When l-canceling without an enemy nearby, the timing is definitely different... When l-canceling with hitlag, I start the fastfall and hit l after the dair or nair or whatever has hit the opponent or their shield. That's the only way I can get l-cancels against hitlag

Without an enemy I just hit them all one after the other
I never start the attack while my character is rising though, I don't think

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
k this all sounds good, I thought I was the only person who messed up rising shffl's against shields lol. SH nair is actually a pretty good approach with Falco if you treat it like a SHL approach. Try it, if you haven't already.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
the slow shield pressure that mango developed is really great and the moment i saw he start doing that a few months ago as falco i picked it up right away lol it makes l-canceling a lot easier to do than the old school super fast falco shield pressure which is slightly harder.

on the other hand, if you only ever slow pressure the mango way, you can be grabbed on your way up after the shine by good players, so sometimes its good to mix it up. like when i think my opponent is catching on to my timing i suddenly switch from slow, falling aerials, to rising nairs which throws people off

MaNg0

Smash Hero
i agree with mixing it up BUTTTT IF U DO IT **** like i do

i kinda space my self in the air so that i cant get grab then i nair

but i mean no one ever c's the mango shield pressure coming lol

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
i agree with mixing it up BUTTTT IF U DO IT **** like i do

i kinda space my self in the air so that i cant get grab then i nair

but i mean no one ever c's the mango shield pressure coming lol
man no one ***** like you do haha

wool

Smash Ace
k this all sounds good, I thought I was the only person who messed up rising shffl's against shields lol. SH nair is actually a pretty good approach with Falco if you treat it like a SHL approach. Try it, if you haven't already.
That's my bread and butter as Falco.

Top Bottom