• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Game and Watch as a "super surprise Cameo" would be appropriate. He was in the Game and Watch Gallery series.

Given his recent surge of notoriety recently, it's not a stretch to say that Kamek could be in the game as well.

Donkey Kong Jr. would be a nice welcome back from his days in Super Mario Kart.

I'm still clinging onto my Pauline/Cranky Kong dream though.

UberMario

Smash Master
Donkey Kong Jr I'd like to see back (his last appearance was Mario Tennis N64 and that's supposedly slated for a Wii VC release soon aswell), Kamek, Wart, Birdo, Cranky, Pauline, Petey, Bowser Jr, Fawful and E. Gadd are the other characters I'm hoping for (though Wart is unlikely, it would help with the balancing act, since Rosalina doesn't make any sense to be a heavyweight and the only reason they put her there was apparently to balance the weight classses)

Kamek, Petey, and Bowser Jr are the most likely.

On another note, what does anyone think about the Miis in the last picture? A role as a playable character or just a cameo?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Actually, I might get it just because of MK3DS at first (like I did with the DS, GBA and even N64), but that's not the only game I'll get, Paper Mario, OoT, Nintendogs & Cats are catching my eye too, plus the liklihood of a 3DS VC.
I wish I was rich and could afford an expensive new system like the 3DS and all those games. :chuckle:

Oh and my current DS is strange too in that it's the only device that doesn't work unless I detune my router. The only way I get to play Mario Kart DS is when I go to a place that offers free Wi-Fi and I get lucky that my original fat DS is compatible with whatever router they're using.

UberMario

Smash Master
You don't have to be rich, just conserve your money really well, if you save about a dollar a day from your allowance/payroll you should be able to buy this on release. :chuckle:

Veggi

Smash Champion
I think Petey, King Boo, and Rosalina are major enough to deserve another appearance. Kamek, E. Gadd, and Toadsworth are definitely worthy of being new comers. Hopefully Galaxy characters appear more in future Mario games with the Apricot Luma or Polari being represented as the counter-part to The Mushroom Kingdom's Toad and Toadsworth. Raphael the Raven being playable is just a pipe-dream of mine, haha.

A_man13

Smash Master
What I think

Set in stone: Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Toad, Toadette (sadly),Dry Bones, Koopa, DK, Diddy, Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Peach, Daisy, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi
Likely: Kamek, Toadsworth, Rosalina, King Boo, Petey Piranah, Birdo, Shy Guy
Doubtful: Dry Bowser, Lubba, Baby Peach, Baby Daisy, E. Gadd

I'm pretty sure we'll mostly get returning characters with maybe one or two new faces. Remember, this is still a DS game we are talking about; the roster won't be more expansive that MKWii was.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I forgot to mention: I HAVE CHORTLES!

I really hope for Fawful to be in, but he is exclusive to Mario and Luigi games. I don't think characters from Mario RPGs stand much of a chance of getting into Mario Kart.

A_man13

Smash Master
Agreed, though I must have fury and chortles sooner or later.

...then again, considering that he's been in 3 games at this point (second only to primary cannon characters), he certainly seems likely. My question is what sort of odd contraption will he get for his karts....

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Petey Piranha and King Boo don't have the "wow factor" that they had when they were first debuted to make it into another Mario Kart game as playable characters, imo. Have they had any major role in a game since SM64DS (King Boo) and M&L:piT (Petey)? Same holds true for Dry Bowser.

I really hope for Fawful to be in, but he is exclusive to Mario and Luigi games. I don't think characters from Mario RPGs stand much of a chance of getting into Mario Kart.
If ROB, a character whose only appearance outside of Gyromite was in a KIRBY game, could make it into Mario Kart, I don't see why a character from a spin-off series that has received above-average praise couldn't do the same.

Veggi

Smash Champion
The thing is, I don't think Nintendo would be willing to throw out the major villains of the series for something like minions. For example, Mario is to Bowser as Luigi is to King Boo. Then Waluigi to Petey is just a gamble, but Petey and King Boo have went side by side so the inclusion of King Boo makes Petey seem more likely.

I see what you mean with the ROB thing.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Although not in the same form, Petey did appear in SMG1 and 2 as Dino Piranha which is basically the same thing but as a dino. I wouldn't be surprised if Petey did return (in some form or another) but I'm not sure if it will happen in MK3DS.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I'm hoping he gets in because the boss versions of minions with enhanced personalities are interesting to me. I was kind of sketchy of calling Dino-Piranha "Petey" because I wasn't sure. They are both pretty similar though.

Steven9wii

Smash Apprentice
a new mariokart DS would be fun!! 2 mariokarts for one videogame system? even if it as DS at the end it counts as a DS!

BSP

Smash Legend
That reminds me, will 3DS games have compatibility with the older DS systems? I know I should know this lol.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
As in backwards-generation play, where you can play DS games on the 3DS? Yes. As in connectivity, such as the Pal Park system in Pokemon DP? Depends on the game.

UberMario

Smash Master
That reminds me, will 3DS games have compatibility with the older DS systems? I know I should know this lol.
It can play DS games, BUT it cannot take advantage of DS-to-GBA cartridge connectivity (like Harvest Moon and Pokemon use) since, like the DSi, it has no GBA slot. I don't know if you'll be able to play wirelessly with other friends using a DS against a 3DS, but I don't see why the developers would not make it possible to go wireless when both are using DS cartridges during gameplay.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
If the new Mario Kart don't have Bikes and automatic drift, then I'm cool with it. I can understand Mario Kart Wii with automatic drift, (Wii Wheel), but Bikes should never be in a Kart game. Unless they fix them a lot.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I don't mind bikes being included as long as they have decent balancing with the karts. If you want to win against good players in MKW you have to use a bike or be Captain Kart. Even among bikes the Mach Bike and the Flamerunner are the only two useable ones. Although the dolphin dasher+yoshi is useable and the spear is too...I think.

or you could just play on Luigi's Circuit and hope everyone other than you gets slaughtered by items.

A_man13

Smash Master
The bikes have never concerned me much. Sure they are overpowered, but I'll stick with karts and being able to get better boosts drifting (of which I am addicted to) than wheelies. That said, I hope either they balance out the bikes or remove them entirely. I just won't be upset whatever which way they decide to go.

BSP

Smash Legend
The bikes as they stand are clearly overcentralizing to MKW. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they got rid of them alltogether, and they need to do something about the inside drifting too, since that's a really big advantage.

UberMario

Smash Master
So the cartridges are still the same? Good then.
Let me rephrase that, the new 3DS can run DS cartridges, so it's very likely they can play in "DS mode" wirelessly against an actual DS.

(And the bikes get better boosts than the karts, pop a wheelie as soon as you finish a mini-turbo and you go ridiculously fast)

If the new Mario Kart don't have Bikes and automatic drift, then I'm cool with it. I can understand Mario Kart Wii with automatic drift, (Wii Wheel), but Bikes should never be in a Kart game. Unless they fix them a lot.
Like in MKDS? lol

BSP

Smash Legend
Maybe I worded my question funny. Yeah, I did.

What I meant was: If I get a 3ds game, and put it in my DS fat, will it work, just without 3d?

UberMario

Smash Master
I seriously doubt it, the graphics of the 3DS are far superior, the DS is to the N64 as the 3DS is to the WII, plus the 3DS has a joystick and widescreen graphics (and each of the screens will be the size of the DSi XL's for the most part), unlike what people keep calling it it's not a remake of the DS, that's like saying the PS3 is a remake of a PS2 or a PS2 a PS1, they're different systems featuring backwards compatibility.

BSP

Smash Legend
Thanks Uber.

I liked the idea of the bikes, but they're just too OP'd to the karts. If they made the karts naturally faster to a larger extent or something, then they would be ok.

UberMario

Smash Master
I think there are a few ways to make them "balanced" if they did keep the bikes (though I'd rather have them removed because it's Mario KART):

1) Make karts faster, but make bikes turn sharper
2) Make bikes faster and turn sharper than karts, but at the risk that you could tip it too far or get hit by an item to fall off and have to waste time getting back on (basically a longer hitstun than for karts)
3) BRING BACK USEFUL SNAKING and make it possible to do it at a slightlyfaster speed than wheelies.
4) Being hit while doing a wheelie will make you tumble

And not a problem MB

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
Bikes should be kept, but just to even things out, make karts have a "turbo" option to counter the bikes's wheelie.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
The course on the Wii Sports Resort island looks pretty exciting...it also looks like there's gonna be a course driving through Peach's Castle. I'm definitely buying a 3DS after seeing all these upcoming releases.

BSP

Smash Legend
Thunderclouds are so annoying...yet so useful at the same time. The speed boost + immunity to terrain makes for some great shortcuts. It'd be one of my favorite items if you could voluntarily release it...infact, that would fix it IMO. You an control when you release it, but make sure you pass it off, or make sure that the shortcut gain you get will be worth the shrunken time.

Thino

Smash Master
Thunderclouds are so annoying...yet so useful at the same time. The speed boost + immunity to terrain makes for some great shortcuts. It'd be one of my favorite items if you could voluntarily release it...infact, that would fix it IMO. You an control when you release it, but make sure you pass it off, or make sure that the shortcut gain you get will be worth the shrunken time.
yea , but those occasions happens pretty rarely ( last lap , last set of item box on DKJP or LC )

Steven9wii

Smash Apprentice
the track on the Wii Sports 2 island looks very exciting...it also looks like there's going to be a track driving through Peach's Castle. I'm buying a 3DS after seeing all these releases.

oknevets

Smash Rookie
Yes! 3DS Indeed! it's been a while since i had another nintendo game, i played a lot on my cousin's wii, but i think i'll get myself another nintendo with this 3ds, then a reboot to the mario world lol, mario kart by the way is very very good
so excited for 3ds

Top Bottom