• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I like when I get a new record for a course in GP mode, but I still don't place first. I remember this happening on N64, the DS (before I started snaking), and even on Wave Race: Blue Storm.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I don't think computers every got triple red shells in MKDS.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I like when I get a new record for a course in GP mode, but I still don't place first. I remember this happening on N64, the DS (before I started snaking), and even on Wave Race: Blue Storm.
Yeah I have found it odd when the following happens...

Your 150cc record is faster than your Mirror record, and yet you got the 3-star rank for Mirror, while it's only a 2-star rank for 150cc. It just goes to show you that you have to be in 1st place 90% of the time if you want to get closer to that 3-star rank.

UberMario

Smash Master
What's weird is that computers never got the blue shell in MK64.
It's so strange...
Same goes for Super Circuit.
They did get the blue shell in Mario Kart: Super Circuit. However, in 100cc and 150cc, you were capable of outrunning the red and blue shells. Also, due the way that the tracks were designed, blue and red shells can't cross over jumps. Thus, the only new tracks where you would reasonably be harassed by a blue shell were Peach Circuit, Shy Guy Beach, Mario Circuit, Luigi Circuit, Cheep-Cheep Island, Sunset Wilds, Snow Land, Yoshi Desert and Broken Pier. That is less than half of the nitro tracks. The only items that they couldn't get were the triple reds and triple greens.

Mario Kart 64 was VERY rushed, despite being my favorite game in the series. The AI is broken, can drive in mid-air, is unaffected by stage hazards when offscreen (except, strangely, on Yoshi Valley and Rainbow Road), gets stuck easily, didn't slow down enough on inclines (good luck drag racing them on Choco Mountain's final stretch), hit their own thrown bananas the instant that they launched them, could kill triple shells while they were invisible, never get shells of any kind or banana bunches, has a random item roulette (they never hit the item boxes in Toad's Turnpike and can use items before the first set on Rainbow Road) and has some of the most blatant rubber-banding in kart racing history. Also, Royal Raceway's map icon apparently retained the beta configuration of the course, because the start line on the icon doesn't match up at all with the actual track. Luigi Raceway and Royal Raceway US menu images also show the logos from the Japanese version. (Look for the orange 64 ball on Luigi's, and the "Yoshi 1" logos on Peach's)

Mario Kart DS did bring back those speedy CPUs as well. There are times where you can never get 1st place, unless a Spiny Shell manages to pop up and get the leading CPU. Because of this, getting a 3-star rank is very hard to do for the 100cc, 150cc, and Mirror.
Really? I found Mario Kart DS's ranking system to be pretty easy going, even without snaking.

Seriously on 64, if you played 100cc or higher, if one of the CPU characters got ahead of you and got out of view you literally could never catch them unless they constantly tripped on Bananas. Well I got the CPU down for 64. Depending on what character you used certain character CPUs would ride on certain parts of the tracks. Left side, middle, and right side so it made it extremely easy to set up traps and know they'd hit them. Although I still hate how they can catch you no matter how fast you went unless you had the Star man.
I definitely remember this. It would only happen if the CPU in 1st was not part of the pair that are supposed to battle you for the lead. I guess that, due to the way that they were programmed, the CPU in 1st thought it was in last, so it tried to catch up to the back of the pack. It's actually possible to abuse this and keep just ahead in order to get everyone else to slow down. Yes, you can actually lap the other AI. lol Kalimari Desert and Wario Stadium are the easiest places to try this out. Get a star on the former and attack the two faster karters at the first railroad crossing, or knock both of them down at the jump on Wario Stadium.

You can also fix that glitch by dropping to 5th or lower and letting the pair of faster CPUs catch the leader for you. They will slow down to let you catch up afterward.

Its not actually that strange, they've tried to gradually give the computers access to more and more of the items humans use at every new installment
They already had full access in Mario Kart: Double Dash. :p

UberMario

Smash Master
Do you think it's because I've been using high items karts? I'm not very comfortable with using the low items karts.
That sounds very likely. Those karts have high item stats to compensate for their lack of performance. They're mostly made for bursting out of mid-pack with a star. I always use the low-item karts, as they're much faster than the high-item karts and can even be used to dodge spiny shells without items. (Just powerslide, turbo, then jump while holding in the opposite direction as it comes down)

I recommend practicing that tech in 150cc, as it will be a race saver more than once. Here is a video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB-Q-507Htk

The item stat can be a real help in multiplayer, when everyone is on equal footing, but when you're trying to maintain 1st against the rubber band AI, the item stat isn't going to be that useful. Bananas and shells will hold the AI off if the kart is fast enough.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Aww man.
I love doing that in MKDS. Makes you feel like a pro.
It's really easy in 150cc, but it's pretty hard in 100cc. I did it once online at GCN Luigi Circuit though.

UberMario

Smash Master
Aww man.
I love doing that in MKDS. Makes you feel like a pro.
It's really easy in 150cc, but it's pretty hard in 100cc. I did it once online at GCN Luigi Circuit though.
Yeah, it seems like the Shooting Star, Dry Bomber and Egg 1 are the only ones that can consistently dodge shells on Wi-Fi, which doesn't exactly make those karts less broken.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That sounds very likely. Those karts have high item stats to compensate for their lack of performance. They're mostly made for bursting out of mid-pack with a star. I always use the low-item karts, as they're much faster than the high-item karts and can even be used to dodge spiny shells without items. (Just powerslide, turbo, then jump while holding in the opposite direction as it comes down)

I recommend practicing that tech in 150cc, as it will be a race saver more than once. Here is a video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB-Q-507Htk

The item stat can be a real help in multiplayer, when everyone is on equal footing, but when you're trying to maintain 1st against the rubber band AI, the item stat isn't going to be that useful. Bananas and shells will hold the AI off if the kart is fast enough.
Hmm, I looked at the following videos, and it looks like using low items karts won't make any difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFUP-73_IXc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3g6Kmt-qag

Either way, I'm not too crazy with getting a 3-star rank on all GP cups.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The guy that earned a star in the first video didn't even powerslide. lol
Regarding that, I pretty much think that Mario Kart Wii's drifting mechanics are better. Additionally, I'm glad that Mario Kart 7 followed Mario Kart Wii there, as getting mini-turbos in Mario Kart DS can be a pain at times.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since I kind of just skipped over most of the gamecube era for some random reason I can't remember, did Mario Kart doubledash use items as a stat? What does that mean? Like, some karts have a higher chance of getting something that isn't a turtle shell/ banana?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Since I kind of just skipped over most of the gamecube era for some random reason I can't remember, did Mario Kart doubledash use items as a stat? What does that mean? Like, some karts have a higher chance of getting something that isn't a turtle shell/ banana?
Only Mario Kart DS utilized the Items stat. In Double Dash!!, the characters that you chose determines what special items that you'll get for them; Mario gets Fireballs; Koopa Troopa gets triple shells; Donkey Kong gets Giant Bananas. However, certain special items can only be earned at the lower positions; while you can get the Giant Banana in 1st place, you need to be in about 6th place or worse to get the Chain Chomp.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Double Dash only had speed, acceleration, and weight stats.

BSP

Smash Legend
Giant banana was legit

Stopped shells, bowser's shell, and made people spin twice :p

:phone:

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
What's even better is that it split into 3 bananas and made people slip more :p

BSP

Smash Legend
And then you got it in first!

Biggest problem with "defensive" specials was that a Star was usually >>>>>> than all of them anyway

icekirbyixi

Smash Rookie
NNID
IceKirbyiXi
3DS FC
1203-9219-5396
Community for players based around the state of Florida! Join the fun! :D

46-6132-8052-8276

150cc Grand Prix

All Items!

Don't forget to check out the Florida Nintendo 3DS Streetpass Facebook page!

facebook.com/groups/198039476909262/

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I like the giant Bowser shell. It was so common in like, any position and was pretty boss. Heart item is pointless.

I've heard that two people can get lightning in MK7. Has this happened to anyone here?
I feel sorry for the person who loses it.

I once had two Gold Mushroom cancelled by two Lightning Bolts in a row. Needless to say, it was very frustrating.

UberMario

Smash Master
Regarding that, I pretty much think that Mario Kart Wii's drifting mechanics are better. Additionally, I'm glad that Mario Kart 7 followed Mario Kart Wii there, as getting mini-turbos in Mario Kart DS can be a pain at times.
I'm kind of the opposite. I felt that Mario Kart Wii's mini-turbos were boring to perform compared to 64, DD and DS, and even compared to SMK or MKSC. I'm glad that they at least buffed them in MK7.

As was said, there wasn't an item stat. Instead, each character, except for King Boo and Petey Piranha, got a unique item that only they and one other character could exclusively use. Bizarrely, King Boo and Petey Piranha could get any of them. (Anyone else wish that King Boo could have gotten the Boo item, while Petey got some kind of sludge bomb?)

-Mario and Luigi got fireballs. These split in 5, effectively making a spray of 5 shells. As a nice touch, Luigi's were green.
-Peach and Daisy got a heart powerup. This allowed them to pick up two dropped items on the track.
-Yoshi and Birdo got an Egg. These were my personal favorites. Basically, imagine a buffed red shell that can also be obtained in 1st. On impact, these would drop 3 items, which are randomly either mushrooms, green shells, bob-ombs, bananas or stars. If you kept launching them forward as soon as you got them, you could realistically get a star power in 1st once or twice a race.
-Toad and Toadette got the Golden Mushroom.
-Wario and Waluigi got the Bob-Omb. This was the first time that the Bob-Omb appeared as an item, though players would transform into them in MKSC's battle mode.
-Bowser and Bowser Jr. would get Bowser shells, which are about 6 times wider and taller than any of the karts. If Bowser and Bowser Jr. are both at Baby Park, be ready for a LOT of chaos, as these items don't break after hitting someone.
-Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong could get a Giant Banana, which splits into 3 normal bananas when hit by a kart
-Koopa and Paratroopa could get triple shells of either the green or red variety, regardless of which one you chose.
-Baby Mario and Baby Luigi could get the Chain-Chomp. Basically, this was the precursor to the Bullet-Bill, with an additional pro and con: Once you finish riding behind it, it will break free and launch forward and kamikaze against a wall. The catch is, if you were struck by a star user, lightning bolt or even an environmental hazard, you'd drop the chomp prematurely.

Basically, each of the items was broken as heck, but you had to choose which ones you would get. lol

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm kind of the opposite. I felt that Mario Kart Wii's mini-turbos were boring to perform compared to 64, DD and DS, and even compared to SMK or MKSC. I'm glad that they at least buffed them in MK7.
I wasn't really involving the inside drifting vehicles, as I was merely comparing how the outside drifters executed their mini-turbos in each game.

Landry

Smash Ace
Double Dash is still my favorite... Too good. Toadette/Paratrooper team for life.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
So, is it bad to charge the drift on a straightaway? It takes forever to activate the boost and I can't really tell if doing it when there isn't a sharp-ish corner is really worth the wait.

Phantom Gamer

<font color="#ff00ff">pranked!</font>
I used either paratrooper/diddy or paratrooper/bowser jr.

Depends on what i feel like using while in first place (usually diddy is my secondary). :D

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
All I know is that people use the Barrel Train for TA'ing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
depends on the Mario Kart.

for Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart Super Circuit and Mario Kart Wii, its the heavies
For some odd reason, in Super Circuit, whenever you do Quick Run, the top 3 CPUs are always the heavyweights for tracks 2, 3, and 4, on each cup. For track 1, it's Peach, Toad, and Luigi. Of course, this is for if you're using Yoshi. Oddly, the heavies in Super Circuit have low top speeds.

The only reason why the large racers are abused in Mario Kart Wii is due to that standstill mini-turbo. Without that, way less Flame Runner abuse.

Thino

Smash Master
For some odd reason, in Super Circuit, whenever you do Quick Run, the top 3 CPUs are always the heavyweights for tracks 2, 3, and 4, on each cup. For track 1, it's Peach, Toad, and Luigi. Of course, this is for if you're using Yoshi. Oddly, the heavies in Super Circuit have low top speeds.

The only reason why the large racers are abused in Mario Kart Wii is due to that standstill mini-turbo. Without that, way less Flame Runner abuse.
oh sorry I was talking more on a Time Trial level

in VS./online I cant talk for Super Circuit because Ive never played it in multiplayer but I can tell you for sure, in Super Mario Kart, the item balance doesnt make up for the top speed a heavyweight can gain over a lightweight, except on Koopa Beaches, Vanilla Lakes and RR

I learned that the hard way for using Koopa all the time

and ofc MKW we both know the reason

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
This is a bigger rip-off than that game that ripped off of Mario Galaxy and put a dino as the main character.

I mean, what the hell. Change characters, items, backgrounds, and boom. They think it's a new game.

The nerve of some game companies... :V

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
China always ripped off stuff. Much like how a lot of Asian countries do. Do I need to remind people of how they ripped off Beauty and the Beast?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ioBjbPliU

A lot of people say that this trailer is fake, since it never saw the light of day. I'll let you decide.

What makes me laugh is how terrible these rip-offs are.

The nerve of some game companies... :V
At least they're not game companies any more. =D

Top Bottom