• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You really can't do anything to G&W offstage 99% of the time. He can Bucket Fireballs, his aerials have better priority, and he has better edgecamping than you do. At most you can try to bait and punish a getup.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Every character not named Jigglypuff or Samus. Especially useful for Link, Ness, Lucas, and Ike.

True Romance

Smash Ace
I'm stuck in a situation where I know I'm not gonna be able to play any humans for a few months.

What Mario AT's of executions should I practise on my own in this time?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm stuck in a situation where I know I'm not gonna be able to play any humans for a few months.

What Mario AT's of executions should I practise on my own in this time?
Cape Glide, Cape Stall and Cape Jump.

Not really AT's, but I would also suggest getting the spacing+air range to cut the lag out of your key aerials when you hit the ground (Uair, Bair, Dair, Nair).

True Romance

Smash Ace
Cape Glide, Cape Stall and Cape Jump.

Not really AT's, but I would also suggest getting the spacing+air range to cut the lag out of your key aerials when you hit the ground (Uair, Bair, Dair, Nair).
Thanks man, I'm not bad at those ATs already but I'll keep working on them.

I've been playing a lot of low level CPUs and just fiddling around with spacing and what not. So hopefully I'll still have a clue when I get back into civilization.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
is it possible to move mario up in the freaking tier list. All I have seen lately is him moving lower and lower. This is so unfair -_-'

Famous

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind him moving up since...there aren't many low tiers tourneys to begin with nowadays...Mario moving to Mid is something to work towards....

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
well yesterday i decided to go mario 95% of the time so that my mario can be something to reckon with. I want to be one of the names your hear when they say who are some of the good/best mario player. this may seem silly but i just inspired myself lol

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Samus and Jigglypuff are kinda hard for Mario at top level play, and Sonic, Zelda, and the Pokemon Trainer do pretty well against Mario.

As for doubles, go with G&W. He's one of the best teammates in general, and him and Mario get a lot of fun exploits together.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
What are some characters that work really well with Mario as a doubles partner?
Luigi, G&W, Falco, Snake, and Metaknight are probably his best doubles partner.

What would you guys say is Mario's worst low tier MUs are?
Officially it's looking to be Lucas. I don't have a personal opinion.

Samus and Jigglypuff are kinda hard for Mario at top level play, and Sonic, Zelda, and the Pokemon Trainer do pretty well against Mario.
Samus sure. Jiggs no.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Jigglypuff can outspace your B-air with hers pretty easily. It's not an easy matchup if they're REALLY patient, and she has the tools to gimp you pretty easily.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Jiggs and Mario's B-air trade hits. There's also U-tilt, U-Smash, fireballs, and Up-B OOS. Jiggs also have absolutely nothing to force Mario to approach. So honestly, they can be patient all they want, it's not going to stop Mario from doing what he wants.

You overestimate Jiggs' gimp ability as well, in which Mario is more than capable of getting around.

Famous

Smash Champion
Jiggs Pound out-prioritizes everything so thats kinda bad...Samus can be annoying and Lucas can wreck you if you play the MY wrong...

vato_break

Smash Master
just play a strong ground game agianst jiggz she can't get you in the air if you don't play in the air, you can PS all her aerials shes not that fast. I've also fireball camped jiggz to the point where my uptilt becaomes a vaible KO move OOS lol

Famous

Smash Champion
just play a strong ground game agianst jiggz she can't get you in the air if you don't play in the air, you can PS all her aerials shes not that fast. I've also fireball camped jiggz to the point where my uptilt becaomes a vaible KO move OOS lol
Yea, this is always an option...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I should point out as well, Jiggs's DA hits you at a pretty low angle and comes out pretty fast. Her grab is also MUCH better than yours, so it's not like she can't do anything to you on the ground.

And what options does Mario have to save himself from getting gimped in this matchup that Jiggs herself can't bait and counter? She's one of the better edgeguarders in this game, and like Metaknight has multiple jumps and solid area control. If she chases you down far offstage, what are you going to do?

Mario does beat her slightly due to being heavier and having more KO options (you can Jab cancel to a lot of dumb stuff on Jiggs, like Jab -> turnaround U-smash lol), but she definitely has tools she can use to counter a lot of Mario's spacing strategies, and even though Mario may have good combos, he doesn't have particularly many options for getting out of her B-air strings either. Yes you can trade hits in this matchup, but that is more or less mandatory if your opponent has really good spacing. Jiggs doesn't really care which direction she's facing you as long as she can hit you offstage. Mario however has his options briefly limited when he's hit and forced to face forwards.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm pretty certain only Jiggs you can Jab1 -> reverse U-smash. She is the floatiest and lightest character in the game, so yeah. Luigi also has Jab1 -> reverse U-smash on her as well.

I THINK on Olimar and Kirby you might be able to do Jab1+2 -> reverse U-smash (requires a sweetspot on both Jabs, so that won't be easy to do if it's even possible).

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
And what options does Mario have to save himself from getting gimped in this matchup that Jiggs herself can't bait and counter? She's one of the better edgeguarders in this game, and like Metaknight has multiple jumps and solid area control. If she chases you down far offstage, what are you going to do?
Save your jump, DI upwards, fireball, etc. This is the basics. I'm not seeing how Jiggs' gimping ability evens out the MU. If anything it allows her to keep up.

vato_break

Smash Master
just camp jiggz, if she approaches fludd with push her to the other side of the stage. Alot of her aerials don't have range so you can just one of those standing piviot grab(use port advantage) if she whiffs a aerial at you. Sliding upsmash and upsmashes OOS **** jigglypuff HARD.

Also you can always cape her aerials, DJ and hit her away if your being edge guarded.

SKidd

Smash Master
Aggresive Rollcarios
My friend is one, and I just can't seem to win against him.
Oh what to do?

SKidd

Smash Master
I do fireball and I do not chase after him. Lol. I can't seem to hit him and he always hits me first
Wi-Fi screws up dodges and roll-countering

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Rollcarios aren't hard to counter. I seem to bait this one friend of mine to roll to the other side of the screen at which point i just hit fsmash the other direction and it always gets him.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You get ***** going aggro, so don't do it. Play defensively and camp them with fireballs. If they get close and try to pressure your shield with aerials, upB out. Not only that, but if she's hovering above you in range of your upB, go for it. It's imperative that you do not let her control your space.

Keep your Usmash fresh if you can...it's easy to land on Peach because it beats her Dair and she's weak from below otherwise...It also kills her around 110%. Don't try to gimp her unless you're sure you can land a Fair or prevent her from reaching the ledge. Your main goal offstage is to rack damage.

Realistically, it's not a hard match-up. Just don't do anything stupid offstage that'll get you Fair'd to an early death or land on an Usmash of hers. Either will make this match-up unnecessarily hard for you...

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom