• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Link shall consume. Consume... Consume everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I would prefer he not use his base Link form to battle. If he did, he would utterly obsolete Link in terms of adaptability and versatility. If each form taunt-transformed, what would be their down b moves? I still like down b transformation.

:phone:

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I would prefer he not use his base Link form to battle. If he did, he would utterly obsolete Link in terms of adaptability and versatility. If each form taunt-transformed, what would be their down b moves? I still like down b transformation.

This is exactly what I think. (Unless they make Young Link VERY weak in comparison to Link himself.) But I think that's way too much.

IF it was the taunts, I think Down B should be:

Deku Link: Burrow into flower, can be launched

Goron Link: Curl up into spike ball and spin in place.

Zora link: Change his Neutral special to boomerang fins, and his down B to electric shield. Side B could become a dash electric shield attack.

It's actually kind of difficult since adding another move already takes from an existing move. I think Down B would be fine for transform. (So their taunts can be reserved for their instruments :p )

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Awesome thread. This character was one of the first ones I speculated that they should include a couple years ago when I first started dreaming about what new characters there would be.

Masked Link would be the obvious choice over toon link or young link. Every reason for masked link to be included and the others to not be has already been said.

Sakurai would be completely foolish not to include masked link in SSB4

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Well, it depends. If there is an outcry of public opinion for him, or if Nintendo releases or announces a Majora's Mask 3Dmake before Smash 4 comes out, then yeah, it would be obvious. However, if that doesn't happen, then I can understand why he might decide to use the most recently used version of Young Link.

I wouldn't be happy with it, but I could at least understand it.

Hey, I just had an idea for a "secret taunt" of sorts. Let's say each form has a taunt where he plays a little ditty on his instrument. How about, if you use the instrument taunt as each form throughout the match, the third form to play their instrument is accompanied by images of the other forms, and they play a snippet of the Ballad of the Wind Fish?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I actually hope he gets in just so Skull Kid has a chance of getting in. I just want my fav villain from the Zelda series in.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
This is an awesome idea, but I don't want Masked Link to "replace" Toon Link. At all.

I originally thought a modified YLink should be a part of Masked Links' rotation, but now I agree with people who say he'd outclass any of the other Links.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. If we're going to have him in, he should just be a rotation of the three mask forms. He would be a "Link", but wouldn't be a Link clone at all.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I don't know why I just thought of this now but we could still technically have young link in the moveset. Instead of him putting a mask over a mask he instead takes his mask off, briefly turns back into young link, then pulls out another mask and puts it on. He would also have invincability status while doing this obviously.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Same sort of immobile invincibility as Transform or Pokèmon Switch, huh?

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why I just thought of this now but we could still technically have young link in the moveset. Instead of him putting a mask over a mask he instead takes his mask off, briefly turns back into young link, then pulls out another mask and puts it on. He would also have invincability status while doing this obviously.
Young Link would still be visible of course, but my thought is that it would be at the very beginning of the match, as well as coming back on stage after being K.O'd off the stage.

He would appear, same as regular Link, instead he puts on a random mask before the match starts.

Same with respawn, he's come down as young link and as soon as he hit the ground *boom* mask change.

In the game changing transform masks only takes second after you've seen the cutscene once. :)

drgonf

Smash Rookie
Holy crap, I just thought of this, so happy to see a thread about this
What are the chances of this actually being a character in SSB4? Do you guys think Nintendo will see this? GOD I WANT THIS CHARACTER SO BAD

vicgur

Smash Ace
Holy crap, I just thought of this, so happy to see a thread about this
What are the chances of this actually being a character in SSB4? Do you guys think Nintendo will see this? GOD I WANT THIS CHARACTER SO BAD
I feel honored to see this is your first post in the forums. :embarrass:

Anyways, as much as I don't like to think about it, I guess the chances are really... bad.
Let's face it, it's a 12-year-old game. Also, the concept in itself is something they would probably try to avoid, and instead add something easier. I mean, we already have Zelda and Pokémon Trainer as "changers"...

Well, this is me being pessimistic.

But don't lose faith. Maybe, if Project Moonfall really works...

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
I feel honored to see this is your first post in the forums. :embarrass:

Anyways, as much as I don't like to think about it, I guess the chances are really... bad.
Let's face it, it's a 12-year-old game. Also, the concept in itself is something they would probably try to avoid, and instead add something easier. I mean, we already have Zelda and Pokémon Trainer as "changers"...

Well, this is me being pessimistic.

But don't lose faith. Maybe, if Project Moonfall really works...

It's pretty common knowledge/generally agreed upon that he has a very small chance. :\

But the thing is, although he is a small chance, I think many, many people would be absolutely stoked for the character if it came true :) I know that's what keeps me passionate about it!

I agree though, that a "Majora's Mask 3D" or HD remake is what will be the trampoline of his "chances." It would be that big push that no other method could do.

That, or Sakurai gets a sudden infatuation with MM from a recent replay :D

Hope!

I made these in case you guys want to use them for anything!

Keep the fire burning. :grin:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Young Link would still be visible of course, but my thought is that it would be at the very beginning of the match, as well as coming back on stage after being K.O'd off the stage.

He would appear, same as regular Link, instead he puts on a random mask before the match starts.

Same with respawn, he's come down as young link and as soon as he hit the ground *boom* mask change.

In the game changing transform masks only takes second after you've seen the cutscene once. :)
Actually i think a combination of the two would work swimmingly. Although i think he'd have to change his mask before he hits the ground seeing as your invincability wears off before then. Though I don't imagine them letting him change mask that quick. It'd most likely take around the same amount of time to switch as pokemon trainer.

mrbrawl

Smash Cadet
i love your idea but i think if young link had a better move set he could be included

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I love this! Been reading posts and seen alot of neat ideas. Would totally main this Link if he got in! I would have to, wouldnt I? Being the HUGE Zelda nerd that I am... I think I just might take this over Skull Kid with Majora's Mask.

D

Deleted member

Questions,

Instead of making mask swap v+B, why not assign the transformation to a directional special that also does a move.

Say for example,
B Normal Link, Ocarina of Time (slows down time for a bit)
^+B Deku Link, Flower Hover
><+B Goron Link, Goron Roll
V+B Zora Link, Zora Electroshield

Link stays in that transformed state until you use a different special, the transformations are near instantaneous (perhaps a split second delay before performing a special for balancing purposes).

The 4 different forms have different (A) and (Aerial) moves, that incorporate the rest of the specials you mentioned. For example, Deku Link's Spin move could be his Dash+A, and his ^+Air or something, his Bubble could be his standard A, as a chargeable. Zora Link's Boomerangs could be used for a ><+A, a ><+Air, and a Throw.

Snake certainly broke the standard in what makes a Special and a Normal attack so why not Masked Link as well. As for Link himself, I would say make him a tuned up version Young Link from Melee. Change his Aerials and A's a bit so he plays differently, perhaps give him his Bow for a couple Air and an ^+A or something.

Obviously the Final Smash would be Fierce Deity Link, a transformation lasting as long as Giga Bowser.

I feel this would be the best way to incorporate this character, that way you make him different from PT, and bring a new strategy to the table. A MM Link player would have to think carefully of when and where to use his specials, as they are not only a S. Move, but also control his transformations, and by putting in that slight delay you make him an interesting character to master, that has potential for being a high tier character given his versatility, but one that's difficult to really master.

Just my two cents is all.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
not that your idea is bad it just makes things a little complicated is all. overall i think more ppl would be happier if his down special and that would switch between his masks. it just makes for easier gameplay machanics and animations

D

Deleted member

I think that the complexity is what would make him both a unique and fun character to use. The more complex characters are usually the most rewarding to play as.

Smash has a lack of complex characters outside of Snake.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Snakes not as complex as you make him out to be. making it so that the character changes depending on how you tilt the joystick would be more frustrating if anything to a casual player which is the majority of Smashes demagraphic. imagine your playing and you use up B and turn into Deku Link like you suggested, this character would obviously be lighter than all the others by far and possibly even floaty. I get used to playing like this then as soon as i press over b to use the Goron roll only to now be slower and far heavier. the smartest way to implement the masks would be the way Pokemon trainer and Sheik do it. that way it still feels like the masks are different characters with different abilities and attributes. plus it makes things like hit boxes, invisibility frames and what not easier to manage if there is a distinct difference between all the transformations. sometimes its better to be simple instead of making things complicated and bogged down with a strange gimick.

D

Deleted member

Snakes not as complex as you make him out to be.
He's definitely one of the harder characters to master in Brawl. He requires a lot of thought and multitasking. Also, like I said, he broke the standard in what makes Normal and Special moves, having Rocket Launchers, and mines for Smash attacks, and heavy knockbacks for tilts.

making it so that the character changes depending on how you tilt the joystick would be more frustrating if anything to a casual player which is the majority of Smashes demagraphic. imagine your playing and you use up B and turn into Deku Link like you suggested, this character would obviously be lighter than all the others by far and possibly even floaty. I get used to playing like this then as soon as i press over b to use the Goron roll only to now be slower and far heavier.
That's precisely the idea behind Masked Link. I honestly don't think he'd be that frustrating, I'm sure veteran "casual" smashers would be intrigued enough by the concept. And most complete first time casuals, are sure to avoid him just like they would avoid other difficult characters such as Olimar.

He would actually be simpler to use than Olimar in a way, as you KNOW what to expect when you attack. Olimar is a bit more random, getting different Pikmin every time. Masked Link is simply about controlled and careful moves. Also, wouldn't you say being light and floaty would be a good thing when trying to recover? The ><+B thing as well, also, the Specials require a tild and a button press, so it's unlikely many people would transform by accident. And anyways, the tough learning curve is the central idea behind this concept. All fighting games usually have that one character who "balls to the wall" difficult to use, but incredibly rewarding, take Venom from Guilty Gear XX for example. Masked Link is nowhere near as complex to use as him.

the smartest way to implement the masks would be the way Pokemon trainer and Sheik do it. that way it still feels like the masks are different characters with different abilities and attributes. plus it makes things like hit boxes, invisibility frames and what not easier to manage if there is a distinct difference between all the transformations. sometimes its better to be simple instead of making things complicated and bogged down with a strange gimick.
The problems with that are the following:

1. Having 4 forms in a cycle is much too slow, and take away from his versatility, so in dire situations, you'd have to cycle through 3x just to get to the right mask. It's a similar problem to that of PT.

2. The solution to that, would be omitting Link as one of the "forms." I noticed you guys had a hard time trying to fit him into the Mask concept, eventually making him unplayable or have his concept resemble PT way too much. But, I feel that takes away from the character, in MM is was Link, and the 3 Main Masks. Link himself played as crucial a role in the central story as the masks, taking away from that, feels wrong to me.

3. The v+B to transform concept has already been done too much, and as you are suggesting it, it is too similar to Pokemon Trainer Red. Your central argument was that "casual" players would find him frustrating, well, that's fine, they have 39 other characters to choose from (assuming we get 40), including 3-4 other Zelda characters and an "easier" Link. I don't see how that's a valid argument. Anyone else who likes the idea of a versatile transforming character can dedicate their time to learning the in's and out's of it. And to be honest, having 4 transformations and specials, really wouldn't be so frustrating outside of the first couple matches. Once you know he transforms and his properties change in each form, you know what yo expect when you hit ^+B.

I personally feel this is the better way to make him into a playable character, not only is it a unique and fresh way to introduce transformations, but it makes him MUCH more versatile than other characters. My only fear is actually that he might be too good, and overshadow the other transforming characters.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
not that your idea is bad it just makes things a little complicated is all. overall i think more ppl would be happier if his down special and that would switch between his masks. it just makes for easier gameplay machanics and animations
yeah, it works better like that. of course, the Final Smash would be Fierce Deity, nothing would work better.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
ya know I've had this idea in my head for a long time, and it makes me happy that I come here and see people not only talking about the same idea, but someone's even drawn the whole thing out too.

This really is the best idea that would be a switch type character. I'll give up more pokemon trainers for this anyday. Majora is a classic and the numerous abilities in that game need to be put to use once more. (and I'm not just talking about the remake that should happen)

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
How about his taunts help you organize which mask is pulled out. If you hold up taunt while pressing down B, he'll always transform into Zora. If you hold down taunt while using it he'll always change into Deku and side taunt for Goron. To be honest, I'd like to be able to do this with Pokemon Trainer too.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
How about his taunts help you organize which mask is pulled out. If you hold up taunt while pressing down B, he'll always transform into Zora. If you hold down taunt while using it he'll always change into Deku and side taunt for Goron. To be honest, I'd like to be able to do this with Pokemon Trainer too.
That's a sick idea. Love it.

D

Deleted member

The finger placement for that would be incredibly awkward though, not the kinda thing you want in a fighting game.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The finger placement for that would be incredibly awkward though, not the kinda thing you want in a fighting game.
You wouldn't have to press them at the exact same time seeing as there would be a switch animation and you'd have invincibility frames during that. You could just tap down b and during the switch animation, if you tap one of the taunts it'll respond accordingly.

D

Deleted member

You wouldn't have to press them at the exact same time seeing as there would be a switch animation and you'd have invincibility frames during that. You could just tap down b and during the switch animation, if you tap one of the taunts it'll respond accordingly.
And what if you don't press any taunts? How does the game then determine which transformation to turn into? Also, what if you press the button that corresponds with your current form? Does the transformation cancel? Or does the game randomly choose one?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
And what if you don't press any taunts? How does the game then determine which transformation to turn into? Also, what if you press the button that corresponds with your current form? Does the transformation cancel? Or does the game randomly choose one?
-If you don't press any taunts it would go in the standard order(like how Poke Trainers does).
-If you press the button that corresponds with the one you already have, it would have no effect whatsoever and would go to the next transformation in the standard order.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
-If you don't press any taunts it would go in the standard order(like how Poke Trainers does).
-If you press the button that corresponds with the one you already have, it would have no effect whatsoever and would go to the next transformation in the standard order.
Also, for mind games you could taunt the current transformation mask. It coud throw them off guard say as Goron, and act like transforming into say Deku. So they run to attack and then get hit full on by a Goron Punch. Mind games would work wondors

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
It's pretty common knowledge/generally agreed upon that he has a very small chance. :\

But the thing is, although he is a small chance, I think many, many people would be absolutely stoked for the character if it came true :) I know that's what keeps me passionate about it!

I agree though, that a "Majora's Mask 3D" or HD remake is what will be the trampoline of his "chances." It would be that big push that no other method could do.

That, or Sakurai gets a sudden infatuation with MM from a recent replay :D

Hope!
Small chance characters make great surprises.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
This is a cool concept I wouldn't be opposed to the masked version of link being included. His entrance could be he pulls out one of the three masks and puts it on that way you don`t always start as Deku link.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I've loved this idea since the first day I heard of it. It's brilliant, and I want it inside me.

But seriously, if it were possible for this to be in SSB4, which it may well be by SOME miracle, I would main Mask Link faster than you can say Majora. And you can say Majora pretty damn fast.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Fantastic animations, props to the artist :)

Mask Link with 4 forms:
  • Young Link:
    • ↑ Taunt = Plays the Song of Time on Ocarina
    • ↓ Taunt = Deku Mask
    • → Taunt = Goron Mask
    • ← Taunt = Zora Mask
    • B = Hero's Bow: alternating Fire/Ice/Light Arrows.
    • ↔B = Great Fairy's Sword: two handed, slow swings.
    • ↑B = Hurricane Spin
    • ↓B = Bomb
  • Deku Link:
    • ↑ Taunt = Plays the Sonata of Awakening on Horns
    • ↓ Taunt = Remove Mask
    • → Taunt = Goron Mask
    • ← Taunt = Zora Mask
    • B = Bubble
    • ↔B = Deku Whirl
    • ↑B = Deku Flower
    • ↓B = Deku Nut
    • Swimming: Deku Link hops on water.
    • Weakness: Fire deals 2x damage.
  • Goron Link:
    • ↑ Taunt = Plays Goron's Lullaby on Drums
    • → Taunt = Remove Mask
    • ↓ Taunt = Deku Mask
    • ← Taunt = Zora Mask
    • B = Powder Keg
    • ↔B = Goron Roll
    • ↑B = Launch
    • ↓B = Ground Pound
    • Swimming: Goron Link cannot swim.
  • Zora Link:
    • ↑ Taunt = Plays New Wave Bossa Nova on Guitar
    • ← Taunt = Remove Mask
    • → Taunt = Goron Mask
    • ↓ Taunt = Deku Mask
    • B = Electric Aura
    • ↔B = Zora Fins
    • ↑B = Upward Dive
    • ↓B = Downward Dive
    • Swimming: Zora Link cannot drown.
    • Weakness: Fire deals 2x damage.

Yeesh, this just seems so perfect to me. It feels like actually playing as Masked Link in Smash Bros. rather than a Smash Bros. version of Masked Link. Being able to switch between the four forms at will as if the three masks were assigned to the three C-buttons seems to capture the feeling of control you get from using the masks in-game. With Masked Link and no other additions/changes to the LoZ lineup, we would have: Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link, Deku Link, Goron Link, and Zora Link (8 reps). Add Ghirahim and we've got 9. If only, if only...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom