• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Madness Ranking Battle +$250 to singles pot!

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
someone needs to explain this to me in low man's terms.

so i have to play 465 matches? and i have to use 13 different characters?
No, you have to use 14 different characters.
And no you're not playing 465 matches wtf.

Say 30 people enter.
You play 29 of them (cuz you can't play with yourself at a tournament ;)) in at most 3 matches.
That's 87 matches per entrant at the very most if there are 30 entrants.
Now lets say an average set going to the 3rd match is 10 minutes.
That is 18 matches in a hour.
To play 87 matches using that average it will be a little over 4 hours of playing per person.

Of course I'm expecting more than 30 people.
I don't expect more than 50. So lets do the math for 50.
49 x 3 = 147 matches
147 / 18 = 8.17 hours

This is 8.17 hours NOT taking into consideration that some players can finish 2-0 sets in under 5 minutes.
This is starting at 1.
The venue is open to 11.
It's extremely possible.

I couldn't allow for a lack of set ups, and I'm going to be doing my best to make sure we have an abundance.
As for slacking I can understand a very quick bathroom break.
When it comes for people being hungry (because don't lie, you will be), the venue is near multiple food places where I can have people who I'll have assisting me (that don't play competitive smash) do food runs to.

I'm GOING to make sure this works.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
No, you have to use 14 different characters.
And no you're not playing 465 matches wtf.
I don't get that... you must be joking? I'm tired >_<

Say 30 people enter.
You play 29 of them (cuz you can't play with yourself at a tournament ;)) in at most 3 matches.
That's 87 matches per entrant at the very most if there are 30 entrants.
Now lets say an average set going to the 3rd match is 10 minutes.
That is 18 matches in a hour.
To play 87 matches using that average it will be a little over 4 hours of playing per person.

Of course I'm expecting more than 30 people.
I don't expect more than 50. So lets do the math for 50.
49 x 3 = 147 matches
147 / 18 = 8.17 hours

This is 8.17 hours NOT taking into consideration that some players can finish 2-0 sets in under 5 minutes.
This is starting at 1.
The venue is open to 11.
It's extremely possible.
Now I know to ask for the weekend off so I can stay the entire time.

I couldn't allow for a lack of set ups, and I'm going to be doing my best to make sure we have an abundance.
As for slacking I can understand a very quick bathroom break.
When it comes for people being hungry (because don't lie, you will be), the venue is near multiple food places where I can have people who I'll have assisting me (that don't play competitive smash) do food runs to. I'm GOING to make sure this works.
this sounds like it'll be stressful. I didn't read anyone else asking but are you going to be playing as well? that'll add stress me thinks :scared:

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Yessss.
About time this happens.
I'll be in CT at the time, but like hell if I'm not showing up.
-DD

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Trying to elevate myself to Banks status famous by namesearching in interesting ways.

Also any math you do needs to take into account my sets will last 16-24 minutes each.

if I go..

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Yeah it's gonna be crazy.

And, while we're at it.

If you are bringing anything to this, whether it be just a copy of smash or a gamecube and TV, please PM me.

If you are willing to help out with making sure this runs smoothly (I'm going to need a. food runners b. set watchers) please PM me.

The duty of a food runner would be just that - You go get food so people in the event will not have to.

The duty of a set watcher will be to watch a set or two at a time and record the results immediately after the set finishes and bring them to me so I can get the next players playing as soon as possible.

You may only do one or both of a and b if you are not entered in the tournament.

Almo

Smash Ace
Ugh i hate you and love you for doing this matt. You make me want to play this again.

Guess it's time to shake off some rust because this idea is awesome.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
volunteers should come rolling in any moment now
Oh shut it. I'm bringing in outside people to do this, but I was posting it in slim chance there are people on the board who want to do this.
or recommend it to their friends or something.

Ugh i hate you and love you for doing this matt. You make me want to play this again.

Guess it's time to shake off some rust because this idea is awesome.
Bringing people out of the woodwork. YESSSS

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Yeah it's gonna be crazy.

And, while we're at it.

If you are bringing anything to this, whether it be just a copy of smash or a gamecube and TV, please PM me.

If you are willing to help out with making sure this runs smoothly (I'm going to need a. food runners b. set watchers) please PM me.

The duty of a food runner would be just that - You go get food so people in the event will not have to.

The duty of a set watcher will be to watch a set or two at a time and record the results immediately after the set finishes and bring them to me so I can get the next players playing as soon as possible.

You may only do one or both of a and b if you are not entered in the tournament.
>_> I'd totally help be a set watcher if it didn't mean I had to sit out. There will be plenty of moments where I'm sure I won't be playing matches.

I'd also be a food runner, or assistant food runner[help carry to goodies, keep track of orders, etc.], but yeah, that probably takes more time and I can understand not being registered for the event for that job.

Anyways, PM'd you.
-DD

Spife

Smash Master
well its obvious who will be ranked 1. i think we all know who is the best player in new england. put spife down there right now

:]

ughh its 1:30 am and i am trying real hard to put off going to work :/
So like, if I don't show up you guys will just give me first right?

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I totally approve of this... Makes me wish I played melee, and would be in MA for this, regardless of whether I play melee or not.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I totally approve of this... Makes me wish I played melee, and would be in MA for this, regardless of whether I play melee or not.
:)

Get a carpool up here! :D It's not like you wont be able to play or enter, you'd just be removed from the NE Ranking put up after. Your results will still count

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
For real though. This is a great idea.

I've been wanting to get into Melee, but it's intimidating and hard since everyone is so technically sound and I'm so noobish. The promise of being able to get LOTS of sets in makes this amazing for new players.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
For real though. This is a great idea.

I've been wanting to get into Melee, but it's intimidating and hard since everyone is so technically sound and I'm so noobish. The promise of being able to get LOTS of sets in makes this amazing for new players.
I'm extremely glad to hear this.

I'm going to be PMing some TOs who are better than I am (Plank, AlphaZealot, etc) and try to get suggestions and advice on how to get a sponsor for a tournament.
Even if it's Bawls (Free drinks for everyone!), I'd be stoked to have one.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Ace, you should be playing the 3 other people who play melee in the immeadite area of Ludlow and you'd at least have some sparring in. that makes me Flaco and 0'13. 0'13 plays bralw too.

stoked for this

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Upcoming tournaments to get practice for this!

AXS - Hosted by Cura, Eevee, and Altairian - November 6th in Syracuse, New York

Hall of Gaming 2 - Hosted by SwiftBass and MattDotZeb - November 13th in Wallingford, Connecticut Will be running pools

Revival of Melee 3 - Hosted by Alukard - November 20th-21st in Nanuet, New York
Compete against the best of the best in the Nation!

There is another Mass tournament in Lowell coming up that I'm hosting in December. I'm making the thread once I get all the information and it's going to be wicked fun! Game Underground is going to be running all the tournaments there and they've decided they want myself and Solid Jake (if he is able) to host the Melee tournament!

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
so i was just on smashwiki and there are only 3 smashers listed in MA. KJD, .Zeb and someone else who i didn't recognize... who exactly is "Gorn"???

boy we suck as a state. hahahaha

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I remember when smashwiki first came out and we collectively realized wikia editors are **** and started trolling it. KevinM got temp. banned. That's all you need to know.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
more like smashwiki sucks
^^ that.

that's why I was joking about it. esp. because Emmy's got a massive page dedicated to her and going by what she told me she hasn't actually entered a tourny for a while. While people like Mafia and Roman (Who was super active before he stopped playing) and others aren't even listed anywhere. *shrugs*

BTW LOVE the avatar Cog ;)

I remember when smashwiki first came out and we collectively realized wikia editors are **** and started trolling it. KevinM got temp. banned. That's all you need to know.
I won't bring that site up again then.

10 char.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Tournament Questionnaire
Please fill this out. I just want to get a general idea on who is and isn't coming, and a few other things.

For the first question I'll be putting up the answers in the 1st post as confirmed entrants. :D

Please send to everyone you can think of that'd be interested!

Almo

Smash Ace
My goal is to beat Irish Mafia. I hear he got good? I'll just go Kirby :D

Top Bottom