• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Chart (Outdated); please refer to the new chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Marth has an advantage on Fox. I was isolating and arguing one point and that point alone. KAOSTAR was implying that Marth's grab game is less efficient than Fox's because it is harder, but I wanted to counter it by pointing out that they don't get the same amount of reward so it's not a fair comparison to only look at how difficult they are.
I think marth is just more reliant on said grab game. Without it he is alot scrubbier.

Fox reaches the same goal with less work. He really only has 2 options out of upthrow but they are both pretty ****ing good. From 0 you could probably get 3-4 uairs on marth. Optimally 4 racks up about 63% damage and if you laser them as them come down its a bit more. At the edge you can shine and go straight into an edgeguard, this is also effective because they may be trying to smash out of an upair, which can be done so only the second hit connects. You could also bair or nair but thats higher percents and to knock them off the stage.

Platforms, shineouts, and DI can make it hard for marth to get that optimal chain grab, there are just alot more factors and things that can go wrong.

Fox can just upthrow upair and its pretty much **** at all viable percents. Platforms only increase its effectiveness. 4/5 stages have platforms. The top platforms usually arent good for marth while being excellent for fox, and the platforms on dreamland arent as good for marth, but they even out foxs kill percentage.

Lasers and upthrow upair rack up damage pretty quickly, along with lil baby sized pot shots you can get with his speed. Most ppl die around 115%(rough estimate) and much less with the use of platforms.

If you look at efficiency as what you can do off 1 grab at 0, then marths is probably more efficient, at higher percents Id say foxs.

Foxs vertical **** combo can be almost as damaging percent wise and take much less effort and less moves.

Foxs upthrow upair is pretty rewarding, its not a 0-death cg but its more reliable and a better suit for all situations vs some. Its possible to get a shine gimpy from it as well.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
From 0 you could probably get 3-4 uairs on marth.
0_o. You're completely wrong here though.

DI the throw one way and the uair the other. Fox flies past you after getting one uair. If you miss the DI on the throw, DI the uair one way and the next uair the opposite. Fox gets two uairs.

....3-4 uairs is false.
You could also bair or nair but thats higher percents and to knock them off the stage.
Those are at higher percents. Marth's **** comes from 0 <_<.
Platforms, shineouts, and DI can make it hard for marth to get that optimal chain grab, there are just alot more factors and things that can go wrong.
But the fact is that when they go right he gets a lot more than Fox does. That's why it isn't a fair comparison.
Fox can just upthrow upair and its pretty much **** at all viable percents.
It's not **** at zero percent. It's not **** at 60%. Hell, it's not really a problem until kill percents.
Platforms only increase its effectiveness. 4/5 stages have platforms. The top platforms usually arent good for marth while being excellent for fox, and the platforms on dreamland arent as good for marth, but they even out foxs kill percentage.
By that same notion though, the bottom platforms are GREAT for Marth. They make it extremely difficult for Fox to even get down, they extend Marth's combos (even extending them into the 120%+ range, which is where he otherwise has trouble comboing into kills or edgeguards), and they give him more mobility (Marth's waveland is SOOOO GOOOD). And 4/5 stages have these bottom platforms <_<

Lasers and upthrow upair rack up damage pretty quickly, along with lil baby sized pot shots you can get with his speed. Most ppl die around 115%(rough estimate) and much less with the use of platforms.
And chainthrowing racks damage even quicker, along with little d-tilts and fairs. Most people die around 70%, a little more with the use of platforms.

btw lasers don't rack damage quickly. Marth catches up to Fox from across FD before even taking 9% from lasers (isn't it convenient that his run animation is low enough to go under the high lasers?) If you keep lasering when Marth is close then Marth will kill you on the spot.

If you look at efficiency as what you can do off 1 grab at 0, then marths is probably more efficient, at higher percents Id say foxs.
But being efficient FROM ZERO until kill percents is much better than being efficient AT kill percents. Marth's grab is always a serious threat, while for quite a while Fox's grab is only a minor annoyance.
Foxs vertical **** combo can be almost as damaging percent wise and take much less effort and less moves.
DI it better <_<
Foxs upthrow upair is pretty rewarding, its not a 0-death cg but its more reliable and a better suit for all situations vs some. Its possible to get a shine gimpy from it as well.
Well if you want to go the gimp route, Marth can get those out of his chainthrow too <_<. Near an edge you can f-throw or d-throw (depending on which way Marth is facing) into a d-tilt for a pretty much guaranteed edgeguard. You can also run off and fair, or f-tilt, or f-smash. You can end your chaingrab in a fair combo to directly lead into edgeguards as well.

Marth combos Fox A LOT better than vice versa. Fox's upthrow->uair being easy to do means nothing, because that's all it is. One mistake for Fox can mean death, while Marth has more leniency in that regard. And even with neither of them making mistakes, it's only a matter of time before Fox runs out of room, and it's during this time that Marth has his best chance of catching and killing Fox. Both of them are close to the ledge and Fox has to get around marth, you really couldn't ask for a more optimal position for Marth, and Fox is willingly giving this to him?

Oh, and stop saying Marth's chainthrow is hard to do <_<. Marth's chainthrow is ridiculously easy compared to the stuff Fox has to do in the matchup (do you think it's EASY to space yourself just barely out of Marth's range throughout the entire match?)

john!

Smash Hero
I might be completely presumptuous here but I never see G&W players (not even the best ones, even though the best ones are probably pros who never play G&W) edgeguard Fox correctly. Dtilt and fair cover every single one of Fox's options, fair ***** offstage, and other moves can be thrown in as well. Of course people make mistakes, but generally Fox should not be getting back at mid-high percents. G&W also combos Fox hard... a grab or dtilt leads to 40% or higher usually (it can on most characters) and often sends Fox offstage. He is the low tier Marth. I can't imagine it being >>>, but if I start playing him more and beating good Foxes then I'll know for sure... :lick:

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
@Dark sonic, ur probably right. either way im too tired to care at this point. I guess marth does more damage with his grab game as far as the match is concerned. But foxes is nothing to laugh at. It ***** marth tho, anybody really. and that was a nice one, 4/5 stages have a bottom platform lol too good.

I do think you can get more than 2 uairs tho. Its not like fox has no way of stopping, its DI dependent. If you can get under him with a dash you can shield stop your uairs as well..

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If you dash to get under Marth directly, stop, and then try to do the Uair, you will probably just get Faired by Marth or he'll jump away. It's too slow.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
why would he fair you if you are directly under him? I was just saying I think you can control fox enough to not go flying past marth in the nature described.

Idk maybe you dont. Its probably just more circumstantial.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
why would he fair you if you are directly under him? I was just saying I think you can control fox enough to not go flying past marth in the nature described.

Idk maybe you dont. Its probably just more circumstantial.
If Marth keeps drifting away from Fox when Fox stops under him, Fox will quickly stop being directly under him.

I don't know how you can avoid flying past Marth in the nature described but I'm fairly certain that stopping directly under Marth when he's drifting away from you will not procure a combo because you've wasted the stun time.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Yea, but there isnt much wrong with it. It doesnt really hurt. Its not like its in between discussion either, thread was pretty dead the last couple days.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Lol, YEA. Kirby sucks. like every low tier/character ever they can do some sort of combo on fox.

Fox is faster better stronger more gangsta better kill moves and recovery. Kirby is light and dies.

I also was reading your post on evil fox and demo kirby. LOL its pretty funny.

TheLake

Smash Master
kaostar being legit holding down his points.

Fox >> falcon

Fox >>> yoshi

You throw an egg...you die....you jump you get clamidiya....and die

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
-doesnt have to be a good combo. Just the generic argument, this x low tier has this y combo on fox and can do z but in the end fox>>>kirby.

that was the entire discussion on kirby fox super condensed

Nintendude

Smash Hero
the only American GAW player I've ever seen was in my pool at pound 4. He was CGing everyone else (falcon and spacie players), but he couldn't grab me. I forgot his name, but he made it out of round 1 pools, though I 4-stocked him both games.

I've always believed it to be >>> for fox.
Was that Dire? He used to be one of the better players in NYC but fell off the radar.

I don't think Fox >> Falcon. Sheik is a much harder matchup and Falcon can do plenty to Fox once he gets a hit in, which isn't that difficult.

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
Alright, Fox >>> Mr.G&W will be pending, and we can leave Jigglypuff until we get to her specifically.

Fox/Sheik? I'm going with Fox > Sheik.

After that, we'll start the next character.
fox is 55-45 sheik (i think every sheik in the sheik section agrees and i think amsah says its 50-50)
however that translates

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I think falco vs sheik is more debatable than fox vs sheik, even though we are talking about fox

although if there were two things that I'd point out about those matchups, it's that

a) fox feels a teeny bit more dominant and flexible vs sheik than falco vs sheik
b) for me at least, falco feels more dominant vs sheik than vs marth and fox

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
to me, it seems roughly even, but I dunno how that translates to numbers.

sometimes when falco gets off, it just seems that he gains control too easily, but then he gets comboed into a fair and it's over lol. but yeah.

I think most people can agree that that matchup is between 50-50 and 60-40 for falco. but I guess that's irrelevant to fox matchups.

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
fox is close
fox kicks everything to death with power. sheiks kicks everything to death with gay. ok but its actually stuff like tech chasing and edgeguarding that makes it close, while actually being a character fast enough to react to foxes nonsense, and added bonus a useful projectile

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sheik vs Fox projectile camping is pretty close if the Sheik is good at needles.

Sheik can out-pace Fox in damage per throw if she's not completely horrible but Fox gets hits/grabs easier so he racks damage just as efficiently or more efficiently overall.

Edgeguarding is homo both ways.

Sheik is more likely to gimp Fox than vice versa.

Pretty close matchup.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
So...

Agreement:
Fox >>> G&W

Some Agreement:
Fox >>> Kirby
Fox = Sheik (?)

Debating:
Fox >>> Yoshi

If think Fox/Sheik evenness is kind of like Peach/Falco. I'd go with Fox > Sheik, but it's certainly a close match-up.

Also Yoshi can combo Fox nicely with his tilts and can gimp fairly well using DSmash and Dair. Fox is certainly going to get more hits on Yoshi though.

Lovage

Smash Hero
fox is not >> falcon. it's >

yeah fox vs. sheik is a tough matchup for me to put a number on

i think that at very high levels it becomes more even, as sheik makes her tech chases and edge guards automatic fox has very very little room for error. at mid-low levels, fox is allowed to get away with silly things like recovering with firefox from below and shining in place to get out of tech chases.

at super top levels i still think fox has a decent advantage, probably like 55:45, but while sheik can strive for perfection (shoutouts to amsah,) fox is harder to be consistent with

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Fox ***** Sheik.

Actually he doesn't. It's almost even. D-throw --> 60% and edgeguard is ****. It's also hysterical when Fox actually has trouble getting in on someone. Why, it's almost as if near lagless, high priority legs are good against him or something but that can't be right.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sheik's own Bair, the invincible frame on D-smash, and if F-tilt is max-ranged it beats the Bair but you have to be reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally perfect I think.

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
For those disagreeing with Fox > Sheik, I would definitely say the match-up chart is right in this case. Since smash immemorial Sheik has generally sucked against spacies.

Of course, I only said that because I want to seem on topic... my real concern is with Jiggs vs. Sheik.

-> Jiggs >> Sheik... REALLY? I missed some matches or something. Is that because of rest combos or what?

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Moving on from Fox now. When there are enough Match-Ups to change, I'll update the chart.

Fox >>> G&W

Next character will be Sheik. Signs in brackets were considered from previous discussion.

Sheik < Falco
Sheik < Fox
Sheik < Jigglypuff
Sheik = Ice Climbers
Sheik > Doc
Sheik > Mario
Sheik > Marth
Sheik > Peach (=)
Sheik >> DK (>>>)
Sheik >> Falcon
Sheik >> Ganondorf
Sheik >> Luigi
Sheik >> Mewtwo
Sheik >> Samus
Sheik >> Young Link (>>>)
Sheik >> Zelda
Sheik >>> Bowser
Sheik >>> G&W
Sheik >>> Ness
Sheik >>> Kirby
Sheik >>> Link
Sheik >>> Pichu
Sheik >>> Pikachu
Sheik >>> Roy
Sheik >>> Yoshi

For those disagreeing with Fox > Sheik, I would definitely say the match-up chart is right in this case. Since smash immemorial Sheik has generally sucked against spacies.

Of course, I only said that because I want to seem on topic... my real concern is with Jiggs vs. Sheik.

-> Jiggs >> Sheik... REALLY? I missed some matches or something. Is that because of rest combos or what?
It's Jiggs > Sheik.

As for match-ups, I'm content with how they are. I would lean towards Sheik >>> DK, because although Sheik can't chaingrab (unless DK doesn't DI properly), she can techchase easily, and DK is an easy target for all of Sheik's gayness. DK's Cargo->Uairs can work against Sheik to an extent though, so I'm somewhat leaning on Sheik >> DK as well.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I think that the Sheik:Fox/Falco matchups are both 55-45s. At top level they really seem to even out. I'd go for Sheik = Fox and Sheik = Falco, but I'd still be ok with Sheik < Fox and Sheik < Falco because I DO see a very very slight advantage in favor of space animals.

I also think Sheik >> DK. It's a really gay matchup but DK's cargo combos work very well on Sheik and Bair / tilts are still effective for getting hits in. DK doesn't suck enough to get completely blown out.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
edit: I can't do it.

Sheik ***** DK, but it's harder than Pikachu I think because of U-throw Uair/Bair (Bair sets up edgeguards) and he's good really good edgeguarding on her. He can ledgehop Dair --> Giant Punch, Dair --> charge U-smash at like 70 or something on some stages (FD, FoD, PS), and Up+B edgeguard if she goes for a platform. Grounded Up+B is really strong. He can also Fair --> Fair and do a whole lot of other crap.

What sucks is that needle grab basically goes through his shield though, so if he lets her get her stage control thing going (hard for DK to stop what with him being so immensely fat) then he's in hot water and if he DIs behind her he takes like 50%, often more. Her U-smash often dual hits him in combos so she gets some pretty ******** stuff on him. DK's too fat.

Her Bair having more speed and about the same priority as his is a problem. Her edgeguarding on him is completely insane. Fair's trajectory neutralizes his weight to some degree against his mostly-horizontal recovery.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
Sheik >>> Zelda.

Zelda's hardest matchup (harder than fox). a "****" matchup not worth practicing. sheik ftilt, duck, grab, dtilt are all too much for zelda to handle. if zelda shields its awful because sheiks duck is amazing. zelda's oos options:

grab (whiff)
fair/bair (whiff, only a descending kick will not whiff, but by then sheik will have already hit zelda)
dair (if successful will do like 4 damage and probably get CC *****. if you are not successful you will get hit. this isnt a real option)
nair (doesn't seem to hit low enough to work)
NL (slow and bad)

compare that awful list and add in sheik's ability to dtilt/ftilt/grab at any time out of her duck and you really have nothing to do but get wrecked. you could always roll or WD or something but sheik is fast enough to basically punish almost everything you do

sheiks grab (which is easy to get on zelda) autocombos into a kill move, and zelda is on "ridiculous floaty status" which means platform tech escapes seem to not be possible in 90% of situations.

if zelda is aggro sheik can bait a single wrong move (fsmash or dash attack at the wrong time, etc) and zelda will get grabbed. if sheik runs at zelda immediately after zelda does a descending kick, the only thing fast enough to stop sheik is dsmash, which could get CC'd relatively easily. if sheik hangs back waiting for the dsmash or jab or w/e then zelda might be lucky enough to return the fight to a neutral status in which case we start all over again

zelda's backthrow is alright though if you throw sheik off the ledge then can keep regrabbing and bthrowing. doesn't really work on stages with platforms too well but you might be able to move fast enough to get a kick out. sheik shouldn't be getting kicked in general. fox at least gets kicked and zelda has an answer to his shield pressure game. against sheik you're simply **** out of luck.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Or press Down B and make it an even match-up.

Okay seriously, anyone else? I don't know much about Sheik/Zelda.

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
Sheik = Falco (alot of high end sheiks say 50-50)
Sheik < Fox (45-55)
Sheik < Jigglypuff
Sheik > Ice Climbers (matchup knowledge has changed but its prob 60-40 or something)
Sheik >> Doc (i believe docs say its >>)
Sheik > Mario (dunno)
Sheik > Peach (debated but i feel its >)
Sheik >> DK ( again dunno)
Sheik >> Mewtwo (i have no idea but that doesnt look right)
Sheik >>> Young Link (super **** definitely >>>)
Sheik >> Zelda (i dont like that matchup fair/bair is gay)
also sheik >>> sheik.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Sheik >>> Mewtwo. Taj's existence doesn't change that. CC'ing her tilts can be somewhat effective. But all she has to do is start SH'ing fairs in your face. Moreover, her own CC game is considerably more potent, as M2's tilts and aerials are all susceptible to crouch cancels until quite high percents. You both have dthrow auto combos, but Sheik will be pressuring you into the ground, which in the end yields more grabs. You'll whiff grabs to her spotdodge multiple times in a match and will eat dsmashes or worse every time. On the other hand, M2's spotdodge is pretty bad. Needles are a million times better than Shadow ball. I could go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom