• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna main wolf vs almost every character and use ICs and DDD for ones wolf has lots of trouble with. I already find Wolf vs Marth easier. I'm okay at wolf vs mk. If it becomes to annoying i'll use ics for him. I'm still gonna use DDD vs Snake. **** that character. Wolf vs diddy is close to even. Diddy and MetaKnight *** **** ddd. I don't care what you guys might think, the truth is no ddd is gonna beat a diddy at adhd's level. The only times in which I beat him I got lucky, and the only reason I beat MKs was cause they didn't know what they were doing.
This pretty much sums up my entire argument

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Serin is taking over this thread so I'm bumping it.

jerald

Smash Rookie
Then I had to answer the final question in Ultima IV for the SMS (played using an emulator), I wondered and wondered for many days, "what word creates and is created by the union of truth, love and courage" (or something similar)... I wondered, and wondered, but never found the answer, until I was illuminated, and so, I fired nu (Norton Utilities) hex editor, looked for some critical data and then there was the answer... "infinity"... INFINITY? Blah! at least that started my career as romhacker :p
===================
auto accident lawyer michigan
injury lawyers

Linnom

Smash Cadet
I hate fight against mk with DDD, his tornado break my game. Falco is my only option in this case.

Vayseth

Smash Master
If you don't think this is a bad match up, you're insane.

As long as you stay grounded, you have a chance. Your ground game beats his but you need to play really really hard to win.

Laem

Smash Champion
its not that bad

neutral position: running shield > grab often beats all tilts and falling aerials, and although effective, retreating aerials can often be grabbed anyway, due to MK's slow airspeed(and d3s huge grabrange).
So yeah, groundgame isnt what makes the MU bad
Cuz that would be the airgame
To begin with, in a neutral position theres little to gain by going airborne, and lots to lose.
So of course theres mindgames but generally speaking, meh to air.
When forced into the air its ****-ish. Pretty often i've found myself fastfall-airdodging through mks aerial barrage (uair mostly) and immediately hitting em with uptilt upon landing. Of course this can be predicted, but its not at all easy when mk is airborne himself, and at high %'s, they'll usually won't risk taking the uptilt and losing their stock. When higher up in the air i more often use dair than airdodge, as it's kind of hard to beat with upair due to a nice disjoint.
When you're airborne and he's attempting to punish your landing, that's when i most often use inhale. It's not unbeatable(unfortunately :p) but generally a better option than any aerial(which will hit a shield which means u get punished)

Of course this is all generally speaking, if you're feeling lucky go and do whatever you think will work (mindgamed, son!), which can be the exact opposite of everything ive written down (yay for smash!)

But yeah generally
not too bad
Its really rockpaperscissorsy

I know ive not commented on recovery
i gtg :p

Ic3berg

Smash Cadet
It's not that "rockpaperscissorsy" haha

MK can punish pretty much punish any approach of D3's so you have to be super defensive the entire time. Approaching with shield gets ***** cause you're just sitting in your shield which is draining it so you can get ***** by nado or leaving yourself open to be grabbed or poked by a dair. He cannot shield grab dair/fair if spaced properly either.
Ground game is pretty bad overall because you are limited to few options when in a neutral position. You can f tilt which can be power shielded into nado/f tilt. You can jab which is a good wall and punishes shields/spot dodges that like no d3's use that I see.
Airgame is pretty much the same, you're limited to like 3 option while mk can do like anything he wants punishes those 3 options easily.

Recovering is probably why I consider this matchup heavy in mk's favor. Like vs almost every other character in the cast, d3 can live till 180%+ each stock but vs mk once d3 is off stage he is pretty much dead if the mk knows the matchup and can punish properly. Which means youre a heavy character living till 120%ish vs a light character living just as long. You can't recover low because mk can just follow and dair you which sends you in an awkward angle and you cant outspace it. Recovering high is the only real option and you have to just mix up your heightening of up b so you don't get shuttle looped. But a smart mk would just wait anyway and nado you which keeps you in the air and in a bad spot.

Oh yea tornado is dumb. A good mk will not be punished by a pivot grab/up tilt from it ever. The best way is to learn how to power shield it so it doesn't drain your shield that much. Also learning how to shield grab it is a must for winning.

Overall it's terrible for d3 cause you're limited to a few specific options which are decent compared to mk's multiple amazing options vs d3.

Ic3berg

Smash Cadet
I guess he made mistakes but it doesn't prove much because he 2 stocked him the other match and timed him out this one.
If you're going to link a vid, you should link the whole set because that makes it seem like it was close. I talked to m2k at tp4 about that set and he said he 2 stocked him right after.

Also watch m2k play now vs any d3 and he'll **** them. I talked to him again about last month and he told he thinks that matchup is unwinnable. With d3's current metagame there is a lilttle chance of him beating a top level mk that knows the matchup just as well.

Laem

Smash Champion
In the past m2k ***** dededes
then relatively less (apparently)
and now he ***** em again

and really, all it takes is another person beating up on m2k which'll make the corresponding character rise in his personal tierlist.

So yeah, the doomsday stuff really is flawed
MU is 50/50

jk its 4-6 (or whatever you like to call disadvantaged yet decently winnable) but cut the negativity crap im seeing in this thread xD

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Just gonna get to the short point of the matchup.

Where we lose:

Nado
Edgeguarding

Where we MIGHT win:

Killing
Building damage

MK's nado is what he's going to be using 90% to build damage. You can usually read though it and utilt, but a cunning MK will usually stall, wait for the utilt to end, then proceed to nado us.

Offstage, well, Iceberg pretty much has that covered.

Will finish later.

Ic3berg

Smash Cadet
Yea being negative isn't really gonna help d3 overcome this matchup haha so we gotta like figure this out.
Right now it's not 60-40, it's definitely 70-30 if the mk knows the matchup. That's because we have not figured out legit ways to beat mk.

Where we lose (in depth)
Nado: Definitely the best move in the matchup. D3 has a lot of options to get around it but unfortunately they are all punishable.
Moves that punish nado (in order of usefulness) Shield grab, up tilt, bair, pivot grab, swallow, fsmash, dsmash, dtilt, upsmash, dair, down b.
I think the future of this matchup will involve the d3 effectively being able to shield grab the tornado and being able to powershield it every time. If you powershield it then it barely drains your shield.
Avoiding it in air is easy cause you can just use your jumps wisely and airdodge through it to give yourself a better position.

Edgeguarding: MK has the obvious advantage here and there is no real way to change this. I think the best option is to just learn how to mix up your up b's and save your jumps. D3 has a terrible recovery and it's trajectory is obvious so the only way to help this is to vary your height when you cancel it. Also NEVER try to challenge mk with your bair/fair, dair will beat it everytime. One thing I found that is useful is that if you somehow end up with mk above you going for a dair is to jump uair and that will beat dair but its very situational and you shouldn't be in that position anyway.

Killing: I disagree with serin on this and I think MK definitely has the advantage in killing in this matchup atm. D3 has some amazing kill moves but the thing he lacks is a good setup for them. Sure an up tilt is a guaranteed kill at 95% on most stages but a smart MK knows this and won't be put in the position for it. What I've been working on is kill setups through dthrow. Reacting to their tech from dthrow can get you a dsmash kill if you react fast enough. Also what I've seen co18 do is dthrow -> dash attack which works if they don't react fast enough (obviously very situational) Another way of killing mk that I've been trying is just raising his % high enough and just killing with a b/fthrow. MK will live for a while but its an easy kill once they're that high of %.

Where we win (in depth)

Building damage: D3 can build damage up really quick off of one good read. The least damage we should get per exchange with mk is 10%. This is necessary in order to win or mk can just build damage with nado faster. I'll go more in depth for building damage in the next part because it ties in with it.

Neutral Position: This is where d3 wins by a lot. This is where we have to be the entire time to win the matchup. D3 out ranges mk, he deals more damage, and has a way better ground game overall. The thing is that mk can punish these options very well so in order to win we have to mix it up a lot. Never use the same move twice when mk is approaching. F tilt ***** but its easy to punish so when you see they are gonna punish that with a nado then get an up tilt/shield ready. If you see they are going to shield/spot dodge then switch it up with a jab and give them 15% for spotdodging. If they are going to try n perfect shield then run up and get a free grab. Always keep yourself in max f tilt range unless you know you'll get a grab or else mk can take advantage.

Things that I'm currently testing:
How to beat dair
How to recover
Avoiding the air
Landing fsmashes
Using down tilt
Perfect shielding everything

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
You might want to go ahead and rule out trying to test how to land fsmashes and perfect shield everything.

The only way you should land an fsmash on an MK is if you bair, bait the nado and use fsmash if you read the MK well enough.

Ftilt should be used wisely at all costs because at anytime you ftilt the MK can randomly nado.

Ic3berg

Smash Cadet
Why should I not try and perfect shield everything? That's going to be the future of D3. If you can powershield a nado you will not lose your shield which helps sooo much. If you powershield a dsmash you can grab it but if you dont powershield it then you get knocked back and cant get a good enough punish. Same goes with a bunch of moves. This also applies to beating falco.

Landing fsmashes is something thats really useful, I'm not saying to use it multiple times a stock but like once a match off a really good read will help. It's a free stock over 40% and if you know that you're gonna get the read then why not go for the best punish?

Also fsmash is ******* good in doubles overall

You should use every move wisely. They can all be punished but they all are really good if you mix it up enough to where you won't get punished if you try it. Also he can't randomly nado, he has to be in f tilt range and shield it to be able to or you can bring your shield out before he reaches you.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
^That's what I would expect to hear from M2K.

@Iceberg - I just wanna know, are you theorycrafting most of this?

Ic3berg

Smash Cadet
No haha, I play with top players in WA every weekend and I've been oos multiple times. I've talked with m2k about the matchup and played him in it too (name drops work I guess LOL). I test all the stuff I say (except for what I say I'm currently working on)

or we could go with Seibrik's amazing knowledge of me LOL >_>

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Why should I not try and perfect shield everything? That's going to be the future of D3. If you can powershield a nado you will not lose your shield which helps sooo much. If you powershield a dsmash you can grab it but if you dont powershield it then you get knocked back and cant get a good enough punish. Same goes with a bunch of moves. This also applies to beating falco.

Landing fsmashes is something thats really useful, I'm not saying to use it multiple times a stock but like once a match off a really good read will help. It's a free stock over 40% and if you know that you're gonna get the read then why not go for the best punish?

Also fsmash is ******* good in doubles overall

You should use every move wisely. They can all be punished but they all are really good if you mix it up enough to where you won't get punished if you try it. Also he can't randomly nado, he has to be in f tilt range and shield it to be able to or you can bring your shield out before he reaches you.
The part I'm referring to.

Have you... ever landed an fsmash on a good MK?

Even if you read the MK well enough there's a good chance he's not gonna get hit by the fsmash.

Ic3berg

Smash Cadet
Yea, I've killed Jem with an fsmash before off a good read in tourny.

I'm not saying that is the most useful thing and thats gonna change the matchup LOL I said it's something I'm currently working on and theres a chance it could work. I guesss its theory crafting atm but im not telling everyone that it ***** and every d3 should use it. I said i was testing it and that was my reason behind it. You said I should not test it out at all along with powershielding so that seems a lil counterproductive.

Also random but: I've done dair -> autocancel into utilt to kill Jem in tourny before too. Anyone else seen this? or tested it at all? (i did it on accident haha)

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I'm not saying powershielding is a bad thing and should never be used, but when most of a characters moves are multihitters and are usually spaced, there isn't much you can do.

Spaced fairs > Powershield one hit, regular shield the rest > no grab.

Spaced dairs > Powershield > trying to hit MK > Nado.

Spaced ftilt > Multihitter > Usually no grab.

High-hitting nado > hopefully no shieldpoke > a smart MK would move away > no grab.
• And more than likely if you try to grab on this, you'll usually get punished.

You see where I'm getting at?

We don't have that many options, really.

EDIT: That's situational.

Ic3berg

Smash Cadet
We don't need to grab fairs lol, you can f tilt right at after and he can't punish with tornado in time.
It's possible to close the gab and get in closer if you just shield dash after the hits.

Spaced dairs are pretty unpunishable so far haha

Spaced ftilt can be punished with a f tilt

High hitting nado can be power shielded and a smart mk would back off but what you dont do is try and instantly punish if you know the mk is gonna autocancel the nado like he should. You wait and see what he does basically resetting the neutral position. Your shield will be fine if you powershield it.

I know that we don't have many options, but the ones that we have can work and get the job done. D3 doesn't have amazing amounts of options in a lot of matchups but they work.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
They work how well?

If you're just smarter than the MK it works, but with an equal mental and physical mindset of the game, what do you think is going to happen.

And ftilting a ftilt when you CAN get the grab occasionally, why wouldn't you go for it. I put the usually part there in case you didn't see it.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not trying to put you down as far as the tactics you are trying to give us, but what I'm trying to get you to see is if there is an advantage to it.

Sure you can get the quick 6% by ftilting, but when it all boils down to it, he can easily get that badck on you with one good nado and a shieldpoke.

Laem

Smash Champion
im thinking if mk isnt directly above you and dairs your shield and you're not facing him you can FH bair him?
might be just too slow tho, and if hes right above u i dont think utilt has enough range and uair lacks the speed.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Laem that was my first thought, but well-spaced dairs are pretty unpunishable.

LOL@Seibrik.

Ic3berg

Smash Cadet
Oh I get it, you made the idea I posted seem like a joke to impress people. Nice =)

The only way I ever get to bair someone when they are dair camping me is when I read the jump -> dair and get them before the bair comes out but that ends up being unsafe cause like you said they can nado

The reason why I said it'd be better to go for an f tilt than a grab is that hoping for a punish doesn't seem like a legit reason to me in a matchup. I never want to hope for anything when I'm playing in tourny. I want to know 100% if I do a move that my opponent doesn't have a chance of punishing me if I space it and get a good read.

Of course he can get that back but what I'm trying to say is that we should talk about ways to get more % back to him for trying that too. I understand that you've talked about this in the past but talking to more people about it always changes something a little bit.

Or we could take the Seibrik approach and hate on anyone with an opinion that's new on smashboards and wait for people to ride his nuts.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Or we could take the Seibrik approach and hate on anyone with an opinion that's new on smashboards and wait for people to ride his nuts.
dont do this, it'll only make things worse

seibrik can have an attitude but he cares in his own little mischievous way

Vayseth

Smash Master
This is exactly how you beat MK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r61eJRj4ZQc

Play very reactionary and safe, poking with F Tilts, using waddles when safe and MASTERFUL use of inhale (save a few slip ups). Mostly, throws ALL DAY. Important feature is for you to control the center of the stage and make him come to you. It will be very hard to kill MK but don't rush in and try and kill him just be patient, keep throwing him around and play into the kill when appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afUMgQ5jNII

And this exactly what happens when you don't.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
It was the post above me that actually helped me more than anything I've read so far. It's amazing how much easier things can get when you slow down and allow yourself to soak in the basics again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom