• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Official Rule Set

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
It really wouldnt be fair to have character specific cp. If both players agree on a stage you can pick it anyway.

I think it would only be a method of proving that the same characters would place well. But it could make things interesting.

Because they pick their character after the stage is picked they prob would switch to a diff one on the off chance the stage puts them at a huge disadvantage.

plus with 25 char it would be hard to remember the cp if they were char spec vs tier specific.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
its not like every char has character specific stage bans to remember lol. like fox couldnt go to mushroom kingdom 2, but everyone else can. idk it makes sense to me

DJRome

Smash Hero
so if i random neutral and my opponent just won on fd, fd can't be chosen in addition to my ban yes?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
so if i random neutral and my opponent just won on fd, fd can't be chosen in addition to my ban yes?
Actually, according to your wording, FD can be chosen, since you had lost and are doing the choosing (game 2). It is when the person who already has a win is making a stage selection that FD could not come into play regardless of selection method (game 3).

You probably meant that, but just in case you didn't, it is now clarified.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Agreed, that is why I like the real DSR that specifies: "Last won on" so if if you win game 1 on FD, then say you win game 3 on BF, for Game 5 you can choose FD again since the game you "last won on" was BF. I still think there should be DSR even with stage striking, just that the wording "last" should be added.

GofG

Smash Champion
Mogwai, did you really replace your AMAZING Firebathero avatar with ****ing angel?

Also, I feel like we're stripping melee of a lot of its diversity with the new stage list.

DJRome

Smash Hero
alpha, i actually meant game 2. had to have that clarified. mogwai, what do you mean that it doesn't make sense and how is it confusing in bo5s?

edit:gofg u tool. david boreanaz is a man

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I sorta have issues with all versions of DSR.

I like the real one the best, but there's still this scenario that bugs me with it:

Fox beats Jiggs on FD
Jiggs beats Fox on Brinstar
Jiggs beats Fox on YS
Fox beats Jiggs on PS
Jiggs beats Fox on Brinstar

of course it's not as bad with mute gone so that Brinstar is an auto-ban vs. Jiggs so it won't come up exactly anymore, but the general form of "win on my counterpick, beat you on your first counterpick, lose to you on your second counterpick (or re-used first counterpick), re-cycle my counterpick" rubs me the wrong way.

EDIT: FBH is amazing, my avatar just routinely changes to keep it fresh.

@DJ Rome: it doesn't fully make sense to me with respect to game 1 because the whole idea of stage striking is that you've struck down to what you both consider the "most fair" of the 5 starters. Restricting that stage from being used later in sets seems to go against the whole idea of promoting fairness, which I perceive as the ultimate goal of the ruleset.

to clarify, I think when we trusted a random button, it made more sense, but now that we're striking like civilized adults, you don't need this type of DSR.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I agree with mogwai on the bo5 issue as well.

Why cant dsr be modified to last stage won on, but any of the cpable stages can only be picked ONCE or once its won on cannot be picked again for that set by that respective player?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I always thought dsr was that you cant CP a stage you won on at any point in that set.

i think its better when you do it that way even though its hard not that theres only 9 stages to play 5 games on.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I always thought dsr was that you cant CP a stage you won on at any point in that set.
Most people have changed the DSR to this. The original DSR did not mean this, but rather you can't CP the same stage twice (so Bo5 sets aren't FD/Mute City/FD/Mute City/FD or something of the sort)

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
10 Posts Ago:

Agreed, that is why I like the real DSR that specifies: "Last won on" so if if you win game 1 on FD, then say you win game 3 on BF, for Game 5 you can choose FD again since the game you "last won on" was BF. I still think there should be DSR even with stage striking, just that the wording "last" should be added.
3 Posts Ago:

I said that was my problem with original DSR which is "You cannot counterpick the last stage you won on." In which case, going back to Brinstar is legal.
Most people have changed the DSR to this. The original DSR did not mean this, but rather you can't CP the same stage twice (so Bo5 sets aren't FD/Mute City/FD/Mute City/FD or something of the sort)
rabble rabble rabble!

how hard is reading people!?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I meant to write "in a row", but forgot. My example still shows the same thing though =B

xbombr

Smash Ace
I like the original DSR better. I think if you manage to beat someone on their counterpick then you deserve to pick whatever stage you want (except what they CP'ed, but you wouldn't go to their CP again anyway).

Also, I don't think the stage list should ever get any smaller than it is now or we'll strip the originality from the game. Camping is a part of the game, just like bum-rushing people and finishing matches in under 2 minutes is. As annoying as it is, removing stages that help promote non-random elements reduces the diversity of strategy (And ultimately the effectiveness of characters who have said strategies centered around them) that the game brings.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Can somebody (preferably a BRoomer) give a lengthy description why Poke Floats is banned?

I'm fairly sure I already know all the reasons, but I need to show some people because they won't believe what I say.

edit: preferably this week as well, this thread has been a little inactive but hopefully it gains some more activity...

xbombr

Smash Ace
I don't understand why floats is banned either. I guess it has to do with the campability, lack of ledges, and that you can fall through Seel (Although you can fall through the tree on PS too...).

Banning it is pretty bad since there's more randomness on FoD, PS, Yoshi Story, or KJ64 with the platforms, stage changes, cloud/shyguys, and the barrel respectively, 2 of which are neutrals and 1 was a neutral until this list came out. PF neither moves too fast for people to play on nor has any random element in it.

If they voted on stage bans (which I assume they did), 9/10 people think floats is ******** and it comes as no surprise.

Fletch

Smash Master
I don't understand why floats is banned either. I guess it has to do with the campability, lack of ledges, and that you can fall through Seel (Although you can fall through the tree on PS too...).

Banning it is pretty bad since there's more randomness on FoD, PS, Yoshi Story, or KJ64 with the platforms, stage changes, cloud/shyguys, and the barrel respectively, 2 of which are neutrals and 1 was a neutral until this list came out. PF neither moves too fast for people to play on nor has any random element in it.

If they voted on stage bans (which I assume they did), 9/10 people think floats is ******** and it comes as no surprise.
A lot of this stuff you mentioned like Randall aren't exactly random.

xbombr

Smash Ace
A lot of this stuff you mentioned like Randall aren't exactly random.
Yeah I know, but my point was that if you were to...get knocked below the stage there's a chance you're saved by the barrel on KJ64, while at any other time it wouldn't be there to save you. You can't really control every time you fall off the stage, so it's more random than had the barrel not been there.

PF is similar to this actually now that I think about it more since you could be saved by a part of the stage coming in at the right time, but since YS and FoD are nuetrals, I can't see why PF is banned other than camping and no ledges. PF is more predictable than if the barrel on KJ64 is going to be there or not since some camera angles completely block it out.

Fletch

Smash Master
Yeah I know, but my point was that if you were to...get knocked below the stage there's a chance you're saved by the barrel on KJ64, while at any other time it wouldn't be there to save you. You can't really control every time you fall off the stage, so it's more random than had the barrel not been there.

PF is similar to this actually now that I think about it more since you could be saved by a part of the stage coming in at the right time, but since YS and FoD are nuetrals, I can't see why PF is banned other than camping and no ledges. PF is more predictable than if the barrel on KJ64 is going to be there or not since some camera angles completely block it out.
I don't know exactly how the barrel works on KJ64, but you can use the in-game timer to know where Randall will be at any given time. Just some advice, I never really play on KJ64 so I'm not sure how the timing works there, but I've used this with Randall a couple of times.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
is there an official rule for the punishment on pausing in the middle of a match or does it differ from TOs?

DJRome

Smash Hero
i think wobbling should be used. it makes ics a very very good character. which makes for more parity

Top Bottom