• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
ok I am 100% confused again.
aparently when i looked through the fire emblem games, i wasnt supposed to be looking for .brres or .mdl0, i was looking for something that could have .mdl0 inside it (like how mario and sonic at the olympic games uses CPK and TvC uses FPK). my question is if there are any other file types that we are looking for? are those 3 it? how do i extract/convert to .mdl0.
as i said, i am 100% confused.
Just look for the character files, and once you find one, open it in a hex editor and search MDL0. If there isn't one, you're out of luck for now.

shock44

Smash Journeyman
ok I am 100% confused again.
aparently when i looked through the fire emblem games, i wasnt supposed to be looking for .brres or .mdl0, i was looking for something that could have .mdl0 inside it (like how mario and sonic at the olympic games uses CPK and TvC uses FPK). my question is if there are any other file types that we are looking for? are those 3 it? how do i extract/convert to .mdl0.
as i said, i am 100% confused.
speaking of being confused,
I cant get kakshi's model working. all i need is polygon 5 of his model (his head). i think i mustve did something wrong. ill try again. some1 help if you get some time?
Well when I extracted stuff out of Dragon ball: revenge of king picoolo Goku was in .bin format. Just open what you think is a character in hex editor and look for the MDL0 part.

shock44

Smash Journeyman
Hey RandomTBush, I got something that I think you should figure out next. I found a CHR0 file in the dragon ball game and I tried having Goku do the animation but it crashes brawl box when i try to make him do it. Do you think you could figure out how to hex edit CHR0 from other games to work for Brawl CHR0s?

SqLeon

Smash Journeyman
Hey RandomTBush, I got something that I think you should figure out next. I found a CHR0 file in the dragon ball game and I tried having Goku do the animation but it crashes brawl box when i try to make him do it. Do you think you could figure out how to hex edit CHR0 from other games to work for Brawl CHR0s?
I posted about that a few pages ago. I was able to get the animations working, 1 by 1.

But how i did it is seperated into 2 different posts.

shock44

Smash Journeyman
I posted about that a few pages ago. I was able to get the animations working, 1 by 1.

But how i did it is seperated into 2 different posts.
Uh, I just tried my own method where I just did what RandomTBush did which was compare 2 different CHR0s from brawl and saw which bytes stayed the same at the top of the CHR0 and then I just changed those to the bytes in Goku's CHR0 and put the CHR0 file over one of Donkey Kong's animations in his MotionEtc and then Previewed Goku's model and opened Donkey Kong's edited MotionEtc and tried the animation I changed and it worked! I got the animation where Goku pulls on a switch. I don't know if the CHR0 will work in-game but I know it works in brawl box. It might not work in game cuz when I open the CHR0 on its own it doesnt have a name. Ya know how brawl characters have their animations labeled, this one wasnt labeled.

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
Oh snap. I know exactly what I want to do, and I have money bet on it being in MDL0 format.

Animal Crossing City Folk, anyone? Seriously, if you have the ISO for whatever reason, want to open it up and check it out for me? Tanuki power ftw.

shock44

Smash Journeyman

There's proof that I got one of his animations working from his game.

Mit

Smash Ace
I hope the people browsing through Fire Emblem (Radiant Dawn I'm guessing) are looking for Ike's model... If that could get imported, and be implemented as a costume for normal Ike, that'd be EPIC.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
I really think at this point we need two new threads. One for development, as in people actually helping each other extract models, and one for requests. Because now I'm seeing every other post is, "can someone rip ____ ISO and spend hours importing ____ character? Thanks~ <3" It's a little difficult to wade through.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Follow each step in order, every picture is updated with what the previous instructions were. So to answer your questions: yes, it is set up like that.
So if I were to delete the red bytes at the beginning, the grey bytes would still be accurate or should I work backwards as to not disrupt the picture layout?

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
wow. path of radiance is complex. 0.o
re-looking over path of radiance. im noticing that it uses both .bstrm and .sfx. might be helpful when we get a better hold of .sfx
im finding alot of interesting ,but useless, information. for example, some of the files have dates and times periodicly. i can only infer that these were time codes put in by the programers to track their progress on each day. for example: in hte middle of one of the battle field scematics, theres a break and it says "2005/09/26 13:07" then continues to list commands for characters. like i said, this is interesting, but at the same time, completely useless.

more findings show that the same character has hundreds of files in various formats (im starting to think that they are for every time that their portrait is drawn, their animations ect. its very interesting that they would put information like that into each character's file rather than with the archive in question. all this really means as far as this project goes, is that its going to take a VERY long time to look through all of these files. i'll keep going tho. once/ if we find some, itll be a huge score on our part.

think someone can help me out with do Kakashi for me? i think im definitly doing something wrong (despite converting it twice after starting over.) i know they work. someone just posted one of Lee.

shock44

Smash Journeyman
Guys!! I got Klonoa to animate using one of his own animations from his game! I just had to hex the first part of this CHR0 to match some of the bytes in the beginning of brawl CHR0s.

SqLeon

Smash Journeyman
So if I were to delete the red bytes at the beginning, the grey bytes would still be accurate or should I work backwards as to not disrupt the picture layout?
You should change everything you need to change, and then delete the bytes in red. ( on the next picture, anything that was done in the previous steps should be done, so you are at equal positions. )

Batandy

Smash Apprentice
shock 44, do you want my klonoa animation?
I think i will not continue working on it,'cause i'm searching for another character that i can do.
Edit: well, that's cooler
Anyway another idea : Propeller mario or Pengin suit mario.
Indiana Jones
Dib
RAbbid (who has got a Raving Rabbid game? i need his model!)

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Twilight Princess Update
Phase one complete.
Don't get too excited, this was the super-easy part.
[COLLAPSE="Viewing Midna in BMDView2"]
[/COLLAPSE]
You'll note, however, the warnings at the top. This is cause for concern, in my opinion, since we want to preserve as much of the model as possible.

ds22

Smash Lord
Dear god we NEED to have a Lloyd in Brawl!!
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
- (The bone tree seems to be really screwed up, but it works fine when exporting.)
We need to find out how to fix it first, then we can have Lloyd in Brawl.

how did you make the chr0 string watchable on brawlbox and on brawl?
I also would like to know.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
- (The bone tree seems to be really screwed up, but it works fine when exporting.)
We need to find out how to fix it first, then we can have Lloyd in Brawl.

I also would like to know.
I was kinda thinking of looking in SoCal for the Wii but yeah whatever floats your boat

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I'd probably have to commit a mortal sin again lol, but first I wanna check NMH, *reading OPs instructions as we speak...

EDIT: Erm, so I insert Wii disk into DVD drive, doesn't really read it.. am I supposed to do anything to make it work? Scratch that, it doesn't read it so I'ma go look online..

Also I pray to God that Chocobo Tales works...

Batandy

Smash Apprentice
Even if the file is not Hexed, brawl box can view the other games models?
Or you need another application?

shock44

Smash Journeyman
how did you make the chr0 string watchable on brawlbox and on brawl?
I guess I'll make a another tutorial to show you guys. It really wasn't that hard. I just read what randomTbush said he did which was that he just compared MDL0 files from other games with brawl's MDL0s and then changed stuff. So I just looked at the first bytes of code in 2 different brawl CHR0s, I looked for the bytes that stayed the same. Then I looked at the CHR0 from Klonoa's iso (by the way I had to single out the CHR0 part first by deleting everything before the CHR0 part of the file.) Then I made changes to the first bytes of the code and it let me open it in brawl box. Then I tried it in game and it worked!

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
Can someone PM me the NSMBWii Iso or Toad's NSMBWii model please? If not, I'll atleast take the MKWii iso or toad model.

The toad model in brawl has only 5 bones.

Boo Mansion

Smash Apprentice
So, we checked Path of Radiance and can't do anything with .sfx just yet. So, has anyone checked Radiant Dawn's format? It would be really awesome to have Ike's older self as an alternate costume for him. But aside from that, playable Black Knight would be interesting.

Samemind

Smash Rookie
Trying to find MDL0s in One Piece Unlimited Cruise Episode 2. I have no idea where they are. None of the files I've looked at in a hex editor appear to contain an MDL0 string. Besides which all i can find are aar files. I don't think there are MDL0s in here :(

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
OK, one more question >_>

my mdl0 file looks like the one in the OP, but the address is different. The OP's first pic is at 0x2E0, but my mdl0 looks like that at 0x0. Should I follow the instructions at 0x0 or 0x2E0 anyways?

Baro

Smash Journeyman
Things are getting supremely complicated in nearly every area. Looks like this is when the population of Brawl Workshop will start breaking down into groups of people that have mastered a specialty. People will probably begin making teams of people to get to work on characters.

1. Model and texture importing/editing/fixing.
2. Animating (probably 2 or 3 people that know their BrawlBox stuff so that they can get it done faster. Really, making animations can be cuhraaazy tedious.)
3. Hitbox and property assignment.

Teams of creators communicating left and right, both on SmashBoards and chat programs. Suddenly, new characters are being created every few weeks.

****'S ABOUT TO GET REAL

Top Bottom