• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
Zack & Wiki uses mdl0.
I just tried hexing Zack, but even after following the guide precisely and having all polygons and materials fixed, his model refuses to display in BrawlBox's previewer. I dunno what I'm doing wrong. Anywho, I'm one of those guys who has a ton of Wii games but zero hexing experience, so I'm not surprised I mucked up.

I've spent the past day ripping my discs to ISO so I could browse through them looking for MDL0s. Pretty much all of them use some cryptic archive that I don't have an extractor for, and some of them are compressed very oddly. If anyone else has looked through these ISOs and thinks I'm incorrect, please feel free to correct me.

Animal Crossing: City Folk: Uses MDL0s. Requires the U8mii ARC Extractor to find the files.

Bully: Scholarship Edition: Does not use MDL0s. Models are in .MXD format.

Dead Space Extraction: Unknown. Can't find the model files; they're probably buried somewhere obscure. Has a bunch of weird unfamiliar file formats like .THP and .MNC.

Dewey's Adventure: Uses MDL0s. Requires the U8mii ARC Extractor to find the files.

Elebits: Uses MDL0s.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers: Unknown. The entire game is packed into two .DAT files and two .POS files. Until those are opened, it's anyone's guess what's inside. I did a cursory search for the MDL0 string in one of the files using a text editor and didn't find anything. The files might be super-compressed and buried deep.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time: Unknown. It's a DS port, and the file types look unfamiliar, so I'm guessing they're DS files. Anybody here familiar with hacking DS games?

Harvest Moon: Magical Melody: Does not use MDL0s. Files are in .CDT format.

MadWorld: Unknown. Everything is compressed into .DAT files with cryptic names. I'd have to check every single one with a hex editor to see if any of them have MDL0s inside, and there are literally hundreds of files. The absence of BRRES or ARC files makes me suspect the game does not use MDL0.

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption: Unknown, but unlikely. It seems to use similar files to the Gamecube Prime games. Everything is compressed into .PAK files, does anyone know if these are similar to PACs?

No More Heroes: Does not use MDL0s.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle: Does not use MDL0s. Uses GCT0 format...a GameCube format?

Okami: Can't find the character files. Everything seems to be stored within a couple .AFS files. I'm not holding out much hope for this one since it's a PS2 port.

Pikmin 2 Wii: Does not use MDL0s. Uses .SZS files. Amusingly, the files have a message in hex about padding the data to align vertices, or something like that.

Punch-Out!!: Does not use MDL0s. Models/textures/animations are all stored inside a single .DATA file for each character.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles: Unknown, my ISO refuses to load in WiiScrubber! I'll have to rip it again when I find the time.

Rune Factory Frontier: Does not use MDL0s. Models are in .MOD format.

Sam & Max: Season One: Does not use MDL0s. Files are in .TTARCH format.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories: Unknown. The entire game is packed into two files, "data.arc" and "igc.arc". Neither works with the ARC Extractor, so they must be compressed weirdly. I tried doing a cursory search for the MDL0 header in both files using a hex editor, but couldn't find it. If it's there, it is super-compressed and buried deep.

Sin & Punishment 2: Successor to the Sky: Uses MDL0. What a surprising find! Needs an ARC extractor to get the files, but they're there.

Sonic & the Black Knight: Does not use MDL0s. EVERYTHING on the disc is compressed into .ONE files. There are a few files that are named after the characters and these include everything related to that character for the multiplayer battle mode.

Sonic & the Secret Rings: Does not use MDL0s. Has the same problem as Black Knight: EVERYTHING is in .ONE format.

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity: Unknown. The entire game is packed into four CVMH files. I did a search for the MDL0 string in the first one and didn't find any, but I did learn I've got Build Version 1.52.20, created March 6, 2009.

Sonic Unleashed: Does not use MDL0. For some reason there are copies of all the game files (including the models) on the disc, separated by region. There is a U.S. section on the disc, along with a French section, German section, Italian section, and Spanish section. Seems awfully wasteful of disc space to duplicate everything five times, but considering the game in question, I'm not surprised.

Super Robot Wars NEO: Does not use MDL0s. Good thing too, because there are 999 models of robots on the disc and their file names don't tell you what model they contain. Finding one robot in particular would take ages.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: Does not use MDL0s. And like Sonic Unleashed, everything in the game is copied several times for individual countries.

Tenchu: Shadow Assassins: Uses MDL0s. Consider this an official confirmation of what is in the OP regarding this game.

...And that's all the news I've got, unless you guys are REALLY interested in knowing the model formats of Wii Sports Resort and Wii Play.

n64billy

Smash Ace
Lets try to make this easy shall we?
Once the text turns green, that's when you're allowed to share the models....
(This is just how I understand what he's saying)

-Rip the MDL0/Brres from the original game
-Hex it to work in Brawl/Box
-Develop animations and a PSA
-Test in game

-Release a working fully developed character that works in Brawl for others to play

EDIT: Whoops, forgot that there was already an explanation... that's what happens when I read old pages :p

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Did you try placing him over Sonic? I would much rather prefer that ... If possible, if not, could you PM me the model files so I can place him over an alloy?
I didn't do Sonic because of how the Sonic model is awkward with his ball form as well there. I do want Knux to have Sonic's down B though.

I chose Fox because they have the same # of bones.

shanus

Smash Hero
I didn't do Sonic because of how the Sonic model is awkward with his ball form as well there. I do want Knux to have Sonic's down B though.

I chose Fox because they have the same # of bones.
I vote for a character with a glide ;-)

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Just curious, how many bones do you think are the models in the Transformers movies? My head hurts..

lol, Knuckles would look broken with his last lvl 3 attack in Sonic Heroes

n64billy

Smash Ace
the texture wont load though which is a big thing...

any ideas on how to get it to work?
Maybe it's because your material is hella shiny and it's covering up the texture? It may have loaded, just try checking if any textures are making it shine, or chage the material properties some how

Eggman

Smash Apprentice
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories: Unknown. The entire game is packed into two files, "data.arc" and "igc.arc". Neither works with the ARC Extractor, so they must be compressed weirdly. I tried doing a cursory search for the MDL0 header in both files using a hex editor, but couldn't find it. If it's there, it is super-compressed and buried deep.
Good God...if you can get this working and get Harry Mason in Brawl, I will love you forever

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
I just tried hexing Zack, but even after following the guide precisely and having all polygons and materials fixed, his model refuses to display in BrawlBox's previewer. I dunno what I'm doing wrong. Anywho, I'm one of those guys who has a ton of Wii games but zero hexing experience, so I'm not surprised I mucked up.

I've spent the past day ripping my discs to ISO so I could browse through them looking for MDL0s. Pretty much all of them use some cryptic archive that I don't have an extractor for, and some of them are compressed very oddly. If anyone else has looked through these ISOs and thinks I'm incorrect, please feel free to correct me.

*list of games*

...And that's all the news I've got, unless you guys are REALLY interested in knowing the model formats of Wii Sports Resort and Wii Play.
Thanks for checking those games. I'll add them to the first post in their respective sections.

Aaaand I've also updated the first post with the new rule.

Suren

Smash Journeyman
I know it's not the place to ask but...did everyone completely give up on trying to make the Alloys function like a regular character (you know...features like edge grabbing, shielding, and picking up items) so we don't have to replace characters. I seriously don't want to replace any existing characters, but if I have to I will.

Suren

Smash Journeyman
Yep, that's the one I used.
I thought so.

Hey I've been kinda confused about how I'm going to put silver over a character. He has more than one model file, how would I go about replacing a character with the silver you gave me?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
I thought so.

Hey I've been kinda confused about how I'm going to put silver over a character. He has more than one model file, how would I go about replacing a character with the silver you gave me?
You'll have to stick with the "sil_S" model. I included the other ones, because at some time, we'll be able to put them together. (The middle and high-poly models have their faces separate from their body.) So, you'd just have to delete every other model from the BRRES for now, so that only "sil_S" (the low-poly model) remains.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Just curious... Would it be possible to insert a MDL0 file into Brawl if you made the model from scratch?

Suren

Smash Journeyman
You'll have to stick with the "sil_S" model. I included the other ones, because at some time, we'll be able to put them together. (The middle and high-poly models have their faces separate from their body.) So, you'd just have to delete every other model from the BRRES for now, so that only "sil_S" (the low-poly model) remains.
Edit: Wait...I thought the head and body models were already attached...So they aren't attached, will this at all effect the current model animations I make for that model? If it does there would be no point in starting any animations at all until the models are put together.

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
wait i thought that we could do that? and it's just lengthy
or are u suggesting us wait for the model builder from kyral

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
I thought so, I didn't want to just go off starting this project and end up deleting everything like an idiot. As a side note, all of his features and stuff are attached right? Such as his Head and Body are attached? Or did you send me the UN attached head file
Yes, the model with "_S" at the end is, while being low-poly, fully attached. Preview it in BrawlBox to see what I mean.

wait i thought that we could do that? and it's just lengthy
or are u suggesting us wait for the model builder from kyral
It's best to wait until Kryal releases a new version of BrawlBox, with the model builder. It'd be so much more convenient than sticking in new data and correcting all the offsets. I still haven't figured out why my re-built Jigglypuff doesn't want to work, so I don't think that manual rebuilding is a good idea at this moment.

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
It's best to wait until Kryal releases a new version of BrawlBox, with the model builder. It'd be so much more convenient than sticking in new data and correcting all the offsets. I still haven't figured out why my re-built Jigglypuff doesn't want to work, so I don't think that manual rebuilding is a good idea at this moment.
can't wait! i really wanna build som models so they're complete like death the kid
or all the characters from Bikini zombie slayers

EDIT: dragon ball z budokai taikenchi (probably spelled wrong :p) DOES NOT have mdl0's sorry...

Suren

Smash Journeyman
Yes, the model with "_S" at the end is, while being low-poly, fully attached. Preview it in BrawlBox to see what I mean.

Ok I didn't know for sure. That's fine for now then thanks ^^

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
And, to answer your other question, Suren, you can start making animations right now, because the middle and high-poly models seem to use the exact same bone structure that the low-poly model has.

Suren

Smash Journeyman
And, to answer your other question, Suren, you can start making animations right now, because the middle and high-poly models seem to use the exact same bone structure that the low-poly model has.
Thats even better news. Thank you for clearing that up.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I vote for a character with a glide ;-)
Already thought this, you can't just add gliding to him? I figured it was enabled through a PSA attribute then you would need the same subactions that a gliding character uses and add the required animations.

Maybe it's because your material is hella shiny and it's covering up the texture? It may have loaded, just try checking if any textures are making it shine, or chage the material properties some how
I've never worked with materials before this project so idk. In BrawlBox is loads as an all white texture with proper shading.

Me_Aludes

Smash Apprentice
No, I have the same problem. Zack & Wiki models just refuse to work D:

shanus

Smash Hero
Already thought this, you can't just add gliding to him? I figured it was enabled through a PSA attribute then you would need the same subactions that a gliding character uses and add the required animations.

I've never worked with materials before this project so idk. In BrawlBox is loads as an all white texture with proper shading.
I thikn it might be called for through a character module. For example, adding special to ROB is no question since all characters can in fact call upon it. However, I don't think adding animations simply for a glide to a character do in fact, enable you to glide because I think it'd still be a null offset. You should test it on fox first since it'd be quick.

Fen__

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure that gliding, crawling, and wall clinging are all character specific. They can be removed from a character, but not added. Because of this, I think you should probably choose a character with wall clinging for Knuckles. I think gliding could be faked probably, but wall clinging cannot. Obviously, there aren't any gliding characters that can also wall cling, so that's not really an option.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
Good God...if you can get this working and get Harry Mason in Brawl, I will love you forever
That was one of the main reasons I started checking my discs. I really wanted to see Harry smacking Brawlers around with that flashlight.

There's still hope. I can't unpack the two ARC files but I can search through them with a hex editor for other things beyond the MDL0 string that might give a clue to their contents. Things like "ARC", "FPK", and "BRRES" that might tell me the models are compressed to the point where their headers don't show up properly during a hex search. It'll have to wait until I return home from my job later tonight, though.

Thanks for checking those games. I'll add them to the first post in their respective sections.

Aaaand I've also updated the first post with the new rule.
No problem, just trying to help quell the landslide of "HEY HEY HEY DOES [insert game here] HAVE MDL0S?!?" posts in this thread.

Batandy

Smash Apprentice
Okay, i did Everything in the tutorial, with no problems,(i've also used a youtube tutorial by shock44)
But when i have to open the file in BBOX it gives me a error of some BrawlLibs and the opening of BBOx...
Heeelp

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that gliding, crawling, and wall clinging are all character specific. They can be removed from a character, but not added. Because of this, I think you should probably choose a character with wall clinging for Knuckles. I think gliding could be faked probably, but wall clinging cannot. Obviously, there aren't any gliding characters that can also wall cling, so that's not really an option.
You can definitely fake wall cling. You can add crawling and wall cling and have it function and look as good as real wall cling and crawling... Gliding can also be added, but it'll be kinda ugly (the character won't angle himself when you angle up or down). It'd actually work and look fine for Knuckles though.

However, it is definitely much harder to do these things than just adding in a few attributes.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I'm very, very surprised at the lack of "OMG TAILS IN BARLW" **** going around.

But anyway, yeah, about animations? Can we port them? I saw a post earlier about someone being able to get them from the original model.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
how do i get the mdl0 out of it? i tried renaming it to brres and opening it up in bbox and i can see some thigns, but when i go to extract something the program crashes.

shock44

Smash Journeyman
how do i get the mdl0 out of it? i tried renaming it to brres and opening it up in bbox and i can see some thigns, but when i go to extract something the program crashes.
Okay, I guess I shouldn't have assumed that you knew this. A brmdl file is basically a brres, which means that you need to open the brmdl file and hex it with RandomTBush's hexing MDL0 tutorial. Then it should work with brawlbox and you just have to hex the materials and polygons.

Top Bottom