• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

shock44

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't know how to do this, but would it be possible for someone to check if the Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People (WiiWare) series used MDL0 files?
Not sure, I could try and find something that can open a wad file. Cuz that's what wiiware games are.

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
The MDL0Offset tells you where the data for each section starts in the MDL0 file. And yes, the Unknown6 should be in Part5Offset when you're done hexing it, since you're moving it to the right location by deleting the set of bytes. (I believe that the Part5Offset links to the material's properties, as copying values from other models makes it rendered differently in-game, or not even rendered at all.)
So, let's see if I have this. From the beginning of the header, you jump forward by the value of the MDL0Offset in hex, then again by 38? I think... Or should I just ignore the MDL0Offset and skip straight from the beginning by 38?

alexjol

Smash Apprentice
NNID
alexjol
3DS FC
2836-0788-1479
I wouldn't know how to do this, but would it be possible for someone to check if the Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People (WiiWare) series used MDL0 files?
LOL, today I thought the same about WiiWare games using MDL0s XD

Anyway, I don't think anyone saw this back on page 54:

I'm having a problem with Pokeparks BRRES. I follow RTB's guide (first I edit the whole BRRES in a hex editor) and when I've done the MDL0 header part, I save it and open it in BB. I export the MDL0, then I follow the guide for the Materials & polygons headers editing the MDL0. It all goes well till I reach the last of the polygons headers. Then I'm about to repeat this step: (sorry for the pics, but I thought it's better to have two pics here than you going to the first page where there are many more)

The model has three polygons, the first two were like in those pics but the last one didn't have "00000000"s between "00000068" and "00000850", they were different bytes. I deleted the "FFFFFFFF" and added "00000000" AFTER THE "00000068". Then saved, replaced the old MDL0 with the new one and BB was still working. I previewed the model, made sure that it looked like RTB's pics and tried to save, but when I did that, a popup came telling me (I traslated it literally from Spanish): "The value can't be null. Name of the parameter: key" I tried it with different BRRES with the same result. Can somebody help me? D:
Well, after that I felt soooo stupid when I thought: "WTF am I doing trying to save the BRRES with the new MDL0, if I'm not going to use it anymore" XD. I picked the hexed MDL0 and replaced FD platform with it. Result:

It looks like it was made out of metal or something lol. The background... is like that because I deleted all of the original textures from FD and left only Raichu’s, so I think the game just grabbed the first texture it found, so you see Raichu’s mouths and eyes floating and far away like it was a galaxy or something XD.

I hexed it following the updated guide, so could it be a problem from the background? :dizzy:

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
good news everyone!
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves DOES use .mdl0 format.
believe it or not, this is kinda helpful because there are cameos in some of the minigames that use newer models. i already found samus and ridly from metroid prime, link and the wind temple from windwaker, link, younglink, cukoos, and the temple of time from Orcarina of Time, Arwing from Starfox 64. theres a ton. ill post models when i finish hexing.

heres some proof:

it looks better in brawl box. (bad pic), its got the entire interior orcarina of time temple of time

alexjol

Smash Apprentice
NNID
alexjol
3DS FC
2836-0788-1479
good news everyone!
believe it or not, this is kinda helpful because there are cameos in some of the minigames that use newer models. i already found samus and ridly from metroid prime, link and the wind temple from windwaker, link, younglink, cukoos, and the temple of time from Orcarina of Time, Arwing from Starfox 64. theres a ton. ill post models when i finish hexing.

heres some proof:
*temple of awesome*
it looks better in brawl box. (bad pic), its got the entire interior orcarina of time temple of time
Cukoos... young link... must... not ... FAP!

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
good news everyone!

heres some proof:

YAHOOO!!!! See if you can get YL to run, the people in the YL thread would go crazy!

hmm...

Say, that Dr. Mario Wiiware wouldnt happen to have mld0s in it, would it? namely... a dr mario model? heheheh... if it doesnt, I just made a fool of myself xD

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
good news everyone!
OH SHI- O SHI- I IS HYPED!!!! Zomg we might finally have real Y.Link now ^_^ I might have to go and *acquire* this game soon.

FairKnight

Smash Journeyman
This may sound like a real noob and dumb question but whats a hex converter and where can I find it?

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
ill post more about my findings in a bit (including pics), but first i have to respond to the post ontop of mine.

riii.....aa....CHUUU!!!!!! *universe implodes*
loving it. SO glad someones doing riachu. my life would be MADE if someone did jolteon tho

joshl94

Smash Apprentice
ok so ppl are abt to piss their pants abt this link being illegal
BUT IT'S NOT
i custom made this animation
therefore it is not illegal
anyone that wants to test this out on naruto in game (i can't) please do and upload a vid:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mfwhzncy5dl
ill PM u the model just ask
can you send me the model and tell me where to put the files? i can test it out and upload a video

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
good news everyone!
You mean... A true Toon Link!? YES! I so hope this'll work!

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
nvm i just tested myself it doesn't work
the legs move but it doesn't move at all it stays in one place

IDEAS?!!!!

FairKnight

Smash Journeyman
Windows calculator. Type in a number and change to the hex mode.(First you have to press view, then scientific).
Yeah but how would I be able to use that on/in Brawl Box though like how does that relate to brawlbox? (sorry if I sound like a noob)

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman

IDEAS?!!!!
i think this has to do with the nwr_4root thing having a bone index of 0
can anyone tell me how to change the bone index to 1?
and if ds22 is on can u send it to me? pl0x

SqLeon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but how would I be able to use that on/in Brawl Box though like how does that relate to brawlbox? (sorry if I sound like a noob)
When you click on some sub-files in brawl box, you see a bunch of information on the right, and also an mdl0 offset. If you open the main file in a hex editor, and use some kind of "go to offset" function, and enter that number, it would bring you to the part of the file that contains that information(that was in the sub-file. On the right in BB, if you enter the numbers in windows calc, and change the number to hex, you could find the number in the hex editor. Giving you the ability to edit the information on the right. So for example on the right(when clicked on a sub-file), there is a number that read 85293, in hex it's 14D2D. Go to the mdl0 offset of the main file in a hex editor and look for 14D2D. change it to 14D2A, save it, and open the file again in BB, and on the right of the sub file it should read, 85290. Though I don't think it would be wise to edit such numbers unless you know what they do.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
are there any games that use a character that has humanistic properties, and is an animal, about the hieght of marth?

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
You mean... A true Toon Link!? YES! I so hope this'll work!
I think it'd be better if you just hacked the textures and material properties of the Brawl Toon Link model to look like the other Windwaker models in the game. That way it's simpler than replacing the entire model.

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
image-heavy mini update:
kinda useless update because im still in the process of hexing these files, but i can share some stuff while taking a break.
models and animations work just fine, but not all of them. depending on the minigame, the models cooperate differently.
cool note is that there are a ****LOAD of models to choosefrom. (ranging from 1-123 bones!) i swear warioware is the most random game in existence. lmao. this is cool and annoying.
also, some of them, strangly enough, did not have to be hexed. cool.
pics:

another pic i took of the temple of time one. (mastersword and stone pedastule are diff models)

there are TONS of different stages/platforms/dancefloors here. example is ground of end credits disco:

different shades of sand for the paper-airplane toss minigame. these are big, use a single texture and will be very usefull for brawl (btw yes the paper airplane is a model. not that anyone cares anyway)

nintendog (diff models for diff breeds.)

some guy thing from some game. i took a pic becuase it was the 1st one i got working and i thought i would only get a few working. lol. (might be usefull for that guy making the dr mario PSA. megavitamin yes?)

the starfox models work just fine (both the NES and n64 ones), but some of them have this wierd thing where their textures apear on the INSIDE of their models. NEED HELP WITH FIXING THIS!!!

sensai's staff (from hte herb grinding minigame

ok this is link (young, adult, and "elderly" link use similar bones and models, so one pic should sufice until i get them fully working in brawlbox) btw yes the animations work.

here's samus. i need to finish doing her as well. one thing ull note is how HUGE she is. the scale is different for each style actuially (warioware-esque cartoony models tend to be alittle bigger than brawl size, zelda is about right, samus is HUGE, star fox is WTF HUGE, ect. wayyy too many styles in that game to list)

this one is mario from supermario sunshine minigame. the only models are mario with the flud (in the pic below), and one of the walls of delfino. o and fire water and other useless stuff. i know its hard to ttell but thats mario from sunshine with his fludd on his back. ill try to have this 1 working tonight.

master sword (working)

keep in mind the fact that this IS warioware, so of corse we have TONS of random models for whatever reason.
pooltable:

banana:

some white guy's hand

tree

spagetti and other tons of other assorted foods. cant tell in the pic, but its 3D.

yup...thats an eggbeater

i do NEED HELP with getting the models show around the bones. someone help me out? the ones that ARE working, worked on their own once the bones showed up.

Roo525

Smash Ace
Can anyone find me the model and texture of Makar from LOZ Wind Waker? I really want to add him to Brawl!

I believe I found a way to covert to MDL0 files.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Holy crap, don't any of you people have school or work or something to do throughout the day?

im just curious about some things. firstly, to animate these bad boys, do you need to rename the bones to brawl-friendly bone titles, or do you keep them the same and animate from scratch?
You can do either, but I would recommend making them from scratch.

Also yeah, Blaziken still takes the texture of the stage. This has to do with his materials, right?
You can fix that with the updated guide in the OP.

Anyway does Super Mario Galaxy has mdl0s?
Just to reestablish this, Super Mario Galaxy uses BDL models.

However, unfortunately the Buster does not have its own bone. It shares one with Zero's arm. Currently the best I can do to give Zero a buster is deleting his buster polygon, and during his firing animation, scale his hand to 0 and enlarge his arm a bit, so it looks like some kind of buster.

Either that, or I could possibly get someone to take the Buster polygon and separate it into its own model, then replace an article with it and use that. Which is the best solution, if I can figure out how and if it can be done. It'd be quite nice to replace the bow with the buster.
Or you could just scale the "buster" to 0 in any animation you don't want to use it for, then scale it to full size when you want to use it.

Anyone check Pokemon Colosseum? I think that's what I meant instead of PBR.
Its a Gamecube game, so it won't have MDL0s.

IDEAS?!!!!
Did you convert the animation back to its original format?

I believe I found a way to covert to MDL0 files.
...Do you even know what this thread is about?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Or you could just scale the "buster" to 0 in any animation you don't want to use it for, then scale it to full size when you want to use it.
No, unfortunately the Buster is attached to the same bone as his normal arm. If I scaled it to 0 he would have no arm, buster or otherwise.

@fortwaffles: out of curiousity, what does that mean? (Unless it's a joke)

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
@Eldiran
What aspect of the polygon group does that function in PSA from earlier affect? I was looking through the data in a hex editor to see if there was a flag of some sort that could be added to other polygons, but nothing stood out. Is it dependent on which polygon number it is in the nodes, or do we not know?

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
i have a question. what if we cant view the model in brawl box in order to do the next steps and get the ofset numbers and whatnot? im having a problem because young link gives me an error message when i try to view in brawlbox (i did all the steps before that flawlessly. im SURE of it)

also, mastersword is done, but doesnt have textures. did i mess up or is that common? should i start over?

btw everyone, why do we need windwaker link? dont we already have toon link? isnt toon link's model close enough for jazz?

Top Bottom