• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
I'm trying to learn how to edit sounds so I tried following the roy example in the 1st post but I still get the same roy sound.

1stpost said:
5. Oh boy, hexing. I opened emblem.ssm, emblem0b.dsp, and Test01R.dsp with a hex editor (HexEdit, anyone?).
-I run ssmex by dragging the emblem.ssm over the icon, and get the offset data that way.
-I copy the data from Test01R.dsp from 0x60 on, and paste it into 0xDF70, with about 17 bytes to spare, so I fill in the extra space with 00's.
NOTE: I didn't do this step the first time....>>> I copy the coefficient data from Test01R.dsp at line 0x1C, to emblem.ssm. Since emblem0b is the 12th DSP (they start at 00, not 01), I go to offset (72*12) = 864, or 0x360. That's the end of the coefficient data. So I paste the data from Test01R.dsp 16 bytes before 0x360 - at 0x340.
I think this is where im messing up because I'm new to hexing( for . (example: it took my a while to find where 0x1c)

Can someone please dissect this part step by step for someone like me who knows nothing about hexing?

edit: also whoever uploaded main.ssm rar even though it says it does not have a yes sound for everything it still does!

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
I finished converting JPN Rosalina Peach into US Rosalina Peach:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W5ZI2DM8

---

I'm trying to learn how to edit sounds so I tried following the roy example in the 1st post but I still get the same roy sound.

I think this is where im messing up because I'm new to hexing( for . (example: it took my a while to find where 0x1c)

Can someone please dissect this part step by step for someone like me who knows nothing about hexing?

edit: also whoever uploaded main.ssm rar even though it says it does not have a yes sound for everything it still does!
These are all the commands that I use, and these are the steps that I read when I forget stuff:

Code:
test -o 2.wav temp.hps -l 2

test -o 1.wav ystory.hps -i

hps_insert mutecity.hps lm.wav rm.wav

dspadpcm -e mars1b.wav   

=====================================

note - "0x" means hexadecimal...numbers using 0 to F.
We have fox04.wav, from the SuperSSMext batch file, extracting from fox.ssm us version. It's a mono file, "mishun..complete!". So here we go. 

1. Rerun ssmex.exe on the fox.ssm file. Don't worry about the DSPs it creates, you can delete those. What you want is the info on DSP locations. Evidently, fox04 starts at 0x9400 and goes to 0xf560, at 32000Hz, mono, etc. That's all I need to know.

2. Make your DSP from the WAV you want to insert.

3. Replace the decoder coefficients from the DSP. This is the part where you can easily mess up. In the DSP take the data from 0x1c to 0x3c and paste it in the SSM at 0x148 (assuming we're still doing fox04). 
Now, how did I get 0x148 as the location? Well, each DSP in the SSM file has blocks of data at the start of the SSM. Part of each block is the decoder coefficient. The length of these "data blocks" (just the general info for each DSP, not the actual decoders. Decoders are always two lines long, 0x20 bytes) for mono files is 0x48 bytes, and the length for stereo is about 0x88 bytes. What I usually do is add up all the lengths of the numbers before my DSP. So for example we want 04. Since we start counting from 00, we add up (mono00 + mono01 + mono02 + mono03 + mono04) = (0x48 + 0x48 + 0x48 + 0x48 + 0x48) = 0x168. That puts us somewhere around the decoder data. Here it's a bit fuzzy, not really clear cut. I just look for likely two-line chunks that could be the decoder data. Whatever's closest to that offset that looks likely becomes my location. So I check around 0x168, looking at the data before it. I find some funky looking bytes, and I assume that's the decoder coefficient data. So the decoder data starts at 0x148 and ends at 0x168, by my observations. 

4. Replace the DSP data. From the ssmex rerun (step 1 above), I know the offsets, so I just copy/paste the DSP data at that offset. I figure you know the 00 filling trick, so that applies, too.
Here is main.ssm, for US audio, default.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BN6JMP0E

This should work in removing the "YES!"

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yes you can. On stack smash's forum, Androu1 has a topic called "Dump Brawl or any GCN/Wii game" where he has an app that lets you dump the games in 512MB or 256MB parts on to the SD card.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Yes you can. On stack smash's forum, Androu1 has a topic called "Dump Brawl or any GCN/Wii game" where he has an app that lets you dump the games in 512MB or 256MB parts on to the SD card.
Alternatively, with the Homebrew Channel, you can download the app "Wii Disc Dumper" (not sure what version, 1.2 or something), which allows you to download your GCN discs via Wi-Fi to your computer directly (most compatible with Firefox)... Just run the app, select your appropriate options, stick in a Melee disc, and voila. Not a problem.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
wait, so we can run gc games via sd card?

what stack smash forum?

SleepyK

yes, i figured, but then what is the purpose of dumping your melee?

if you're editing an iso of the game on your computer to begin with, why would you need to dump it to the sd card..?

perhaps eternal yoshi misinterpreted what the poster requested.

they want a prepackaged iso without having to do any work in gc tool.

SleepyK

i have a question.
since it seems like mistakenly replacing most of the hps files results in them playing fine, could we use a single song as a template for all of them?
we could pick the longest hps and use that as the main insert. it would eliminate length issues.
ofc this is in the absence of the ability to create our own offsets

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Automatic CSS texture insertion
I just added CSS support to KirbyTool! I haven't tested it yet, so if someone else could try that'd be great.
Website
Note that you need to download 3 files now: KirbyTool-2.5.7z, MeleeData.7z, and TexConv.exe. (Don't worry, it's not as hard as it sounds.) After extracting them, edit the files in Images/CSS then run ForWindows/CSS.bat and it will generate OutputMnSlChr.usd.

SleepyK

you rock, libertyernie.

tichinde, what about the special movie hps? it's 14 minutes.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
No, you cannot. GC-Tool doesnt allow you to do this.

You can take a smaller HPS and put it into a bigger HPS. Not the other way around.

I have not confirmed this.

I know Dreamland and Pokemon are both 1 minute or less.

Try putting a Yoshi's Story or Fountain of Dreams HPS into the two and see what you get.

SleepyK

right, but is that a precaution or would it actually cause issues?

SleepyK

i'd like to, but gctool won't let me replace smaller files with larger ones. i'm wondering if we were able to change gc tool to permit us to do that, would it cause issues with the game? was it just a precaution?

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Though I am not sure if the laser on the GC can read the entire disc, nor if the Wii in GC mode can too since it is emulating a GC.

Like, if it is emulating a GC, does the laser only go so far?

Would that mess up something? Like in hex editing, you cant replace something thats small with something thats big. You would end up overwriting the next thing.

Like sound effects for example. You cant put in any sound effect because then you would destroy the next sound effect(s).

SleepyK

at least for hex editing you have the option to insert, but i'm sure that messes up some things.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Speaking of something to insert larger files on smaller ones, someone mentioned a similar thing over at Emutalk. Apparently, there's a program that COULD do it, or is being looked into. It would be really handy if we could get things like that working; we'd be able to use a base music file for everything without worries. And we'd be able to replace any costumed character with another, without it screwing up... much like how Wiiscrubber works with Wii games.

Yes, 'twould be very handy indeed.

SleepyK

i read the readme and it sounds promising, but at most it offers a "maybe." i'll give it a shot sometime soon

so... definitely can be done.
i wonder why it's limited to purely 1.35

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
Yo this works!!!! lol.
I ported over a larger texture right over to another color and it didnt stop me. The only thing u have to change is the last hex values in the dat file.

ex. At the end of the .dat file if it says plycharacter.5kBu just change all the "Bu" values to "Gr" or whatever color u wanna port it to.

This program doesnt stop u from replacing files with larger files.

Lol doesnt seem to work for every character.

Edit**

Aparently, the file still can't be too large.

SleepyK

Yo this works!!!! lol.
I ported over a larger texture right over to another color and it didnt stop me. The only thing u have to change is the last hex values in the dat file.

ex. At the end of the .dat file if it says plycharacter.5kBu just change all the "Bu" values to "Gr" or whatever color u wanna port it to.

This program doesnt stop u from replacing files with larger files.

Lol doesnt seem to work for every character.

The program definitely allows to replace replace it with any file is tho. I'm gonna go try music now :)
i attempted to change music and gc loader loaded it, but it blackscreened immediately. not even the opening movie.

i only changed one song :( i wasn't entirely too clear if the changes made had to fall within 2kb or not, but i'll try that now.

edit: oh, 2kb limit is only if you don't dump everything

i followed the
wipe garbage
manually replace file
rebuild

and it didn't load.

hmm, it seems to be an issue with "zero" padding after the scrubbing. the scrubbed iso doesn't run either.

i also scrubbed an iso, exported the files, did nothing to them, then rebuilt the iso. didn't run.

Top Bottom