• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
Yo this works!!!! lol.
I ported over a larger texture right over to another color and it didnt stop me. The only thing u have to change is the last hex values in the dat file.

ex. At the end of the .dat file if it says plycharacter.5kBu just change all the "Bu" values to "Gr" or whatever color u wanna port it to.

This program doesnt stop u from replacing files with larger files.

Lol doesnt seem to work for every character.

Edit**

Aparently, the file still can't be too large.
omg, you almost had me going there :(:(

n0ne

Smash Ace
uh... about putting normal (4.7 gb) dvds in a gc opposed to a mini-dvd, it DOES work, I do it all the time over at a friends bcuz his cube doenst read too well.. But I DO take off the top cover of the gc case and leave something so that it it pressing the button that makes the gc THINK its closed.

So program-wise, i think it is possible... also i remember seeing a post over at wehackwii saying something about putting multi-images on a 4.7 gb dvd so that it would have 3 Imgs instead of one. so, bah i dont know maybe its laziness or something that it hasnt been done yet.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
Could somebody send me an already hacked .iso file with a bunch of textures for characters, stages and other stuff inside?

The version that is used in the 'no ceilings' combo video would work just fine... I'm pretty bad at doing it myself so I would be thankful!

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
uh... about putting normal (4.7 gb) dvds in a gc opposed to a mini-dvd, it DOES work, I do it all the time over at a friends bcuz his cube doenst read too well.. But I DO take off the top cover of the gc case and leave something so that it it pressing the button that makes the gc THINK its closed.

So program-wise, i think it is possible... also i remember seeing a post over at wehackwii saying something about putting multi-images on a 4.7 gb dvd so that it would have 3 Imgs instead of one. so, bah i dont know maybe its laziness or something that it hasnt been done yet.
Ofcourse it would work, thats why there are case mods for the gamecube.

What I was asking was whether or not an ISO over 1.5 GBs would be able to be read by the GC.

Like say we packed the ISO full of textures and audio and made the ISO over 4 GBs, would the GC still read it? (I dont think the laser will travel that far...)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
i don't think isos larger than 1.35 will play at all.

but once again, the scrubbing + rebuilding of the gc iso doesn't let it play so far.

SleepyK

but once again, the scrubbing + rebuilding of the gc iso doesn't let it play so far.
haha, success! i assumed that gc iso would have a more stable garbage wipe system, so i decided to dump + scrub the iso via gc tool... and rebuild in gcr! it wooorked!
the only downside is that in order to share the files, the person would have to rebuild their iso every time.

video up shortly!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Strangely enough, my NTSC Melee ISO uses 1.33 GB, and the Dolphin Emulator reads it okay. I guess that certain Melee ISOs vary in memory.

Anyway, I'm planning on doing some more Melee textures. However, one of the textures that I'll be working on may involve the use of Peach's green outfit.

If possible, can someone display the offset placements for Peach's green outfit?

SleepyK

haha, success! i assumed that gc iso would have a more stable garbage wipe system, so i decided to dump + scrub the iso via gc tool... and rebuild in gcr! it wooorked!
the only downside is that in order to share the files, the person would have to rebuild their iso every time.

video up shortly!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_oS4FHtplI

not finished processing but i'm just too excited!

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
1) did you convert a 32k 16 bit wav just to hps and insert it? how did you?

then you gotta dump and scrub the iso and rebuild right

everytime i replace ONE file i have to dump and rebuild?? nice find!

SleepyK

i'd love to edit something and share it, but you would have to rebuild your iso manually!
i inserted a song into one of the longer .hps files (in this case, onetto2) hex edited a loop point and renamed it to menu01.hps

then i rebuilt.
so steps i took
1) open iso with gc tool
2) scrub iso with gc tool
3) extract in gc tool
4) inserted a song into a long hps
5) replaced the normal menu01.hps with the hacked onetto2.hps
6) rebuilt the file in gcrev
7) success!

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
So, basically, we could just:

Open ISO with GC tool, Scrub it, then extract it.

Then Copy and Paste what is extracted / make a copy of it.

Then from here on, you can just insert stuff and rebuild.

Then I guess you wont have to scrub and extract since its already saved and waiting.

P.S.

Then what about Sound Effects? I want to put in longer sound effects!

SleepyK

So, basically, we could just:

Open ISO with GC tool, Scrub it, then extract it.

Then Copy and Paste what is extracted / make a copy of it.

Then from here on, you can just insert stuff and rebuild.

Then I guess you wont have to scrub and extract since its already saved and waiting.
yep .

uhhh, i dunno. sfx also seem to work if inserted incorrectly, so give it a shot, i guess. just insert instead of overwriting whilst hex editing... and i guess you'd have to fix some offsets.

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
hey guys i just tested this and it only works on the looped hps files... so dont go trying the 15 min intro one haha

nice find :bee::bee:

dunno about sound effects

Steelia

Smash Champion
Wow... So there's actually a way of replacing smaller files with larger ones now? If so, that's really good news. (Does it also apply to character files?)

Ah, I believe the longest music file is the DK Rap theme... I forget which that one is. "kongo"? It's incredibly long. Would make for a pretty good base, I suppose.

SleepyK

i'll try character files in a minute.
that might affect certain color attributes, though. oh well.

if people want i can go ahead and replace every song in the game with the dk rap theme and upload it.

SleepyK

shooting stars just made an interesting discovery - the gc tool scrubbing only gets rid of about 14 mb, so we can't add too much just yet. he's currently replacing hps files that aren't often used to see if that works.

success! we can probably remove most of the movies and some single player stuff to free up even more space.

messy4444 (2:04:05 AM): SUCCESS
Red is Sleepy (2:04:10 AM): o babe
Red is Sleepy (2:04:12 AM): does it run
messy4444 (2:04:17 AM): ye
messy4444 (2:04:26 AM): replaced the stages i dont use with a 75kb hps
messy4444 (2:04:27 AM): lol

messy4444 (2:14:35 AM): ok
messy4444 (2:14:43 AM): 1.36 gb gcr says filesize too large
messy4444 (2:14:58 AM): im guessing the 200mb must be formatting of some sort for rebuilding and etc
messy4444 (2:15:07 AM): you cannot pass 1.32-1.33 barrier
Red is Sleepy (2:17:33 AM): i see.
Red is Sleepy (2:19:18 AM): ho ho ho
Red is Sleepy (2:19:22 AM): so the 30mb song works
Red is Sleepy (2:19:30 AM): we just have to eliminate things we don't need
Red is Sleepy (2:19:31 AM): :3
messy4444 (2:19:40 AM): anything
messy4444 (2:19:43 AM): woootmessy4444 (2:14:35 AM): ok
messy4444 (2:14:43 AM): 1.36 gb gcr says filesize too large
messy4444 (2:14:58 AM): im guessing the 200mb must be formatting of some sort for rebuilding and etc
messy4444 (2:15:07 AM): you cannot pass 1.32-1.33 barrier
Red is Sleepy (2:17:33 AM): i see.
Red is Sleepy (2:19:18 AM): ho ho ho
Red is Sleepy (2:19:22 AM): so the 30mb song works
Red is Sleepy (2:19:30 AM): we just have to eliminate things we don't need
Red is Sleepy (2:19:31 AM): :3
messy4444 (2:19:40 AM): anything
messy4444 (2:19:43 AM): wooot

messy4444 (2:27:02 AM): LOL
messy4444 (2:27:20 AM): i went from 1.3gb to 600mb folder
messy4444 (2:27:25 AM): just deleting the highest mb vids
messy4444 (2:27:28 AM): replacing*

so beast it hurts

shooting stars is a beast

SleepyK

ok, so, shootingstars and i were trying to figure out the best way to reduce the size of the iso to permit more room for music.

so here's a list of stuff that's been done.
1) All single player videos have been replaced with a single black frame.
2) 15 minute movie has been removed - its audio is replaced with 216 byte hps file
3) i'm on the fence about opening and howtoplay as i think it'd be cool to replace those.
that frees up a large amount of space.

now, from here, i can remove a large amount of music that is geared towards single player and non-tournament stages. since i don't play single player or play on banned stages, i'm personally fine with removing the single player stuff. errrrm, i'll do two versions. one where i leave the single player/casual stuff untouched unless someone requests something.

so i will
4) remove single player and non tournament stage music
5) replace tournament stages with the 14 minute special video song
6) replace victory fanfare with slightly longer music (at least a minute. no need for 14 minute fanfares <_<)
7) eventually i will replace the single player victory pictures also. they only total to around 6.44 mb so it's not a big deal.

and i'll upload that and link it to an autoreplying email i guess.

13:40somethingish song on battleplace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zmW6irjNxk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZz6XTo5jF8

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Can you also replace Mushroom Kingdom, the one with the pipes, with the 14 minute song?

With 14 minutes, I dont think we even need to bother with looping.

No match will last longer than 14 minutes.

But with this, we are going to have to make different sections: a) audio for normal ISOs, b) audio for scrubbed ISOs

SleepyK

yes, unfortunately. i would like for most of the competitive smashers requesting songs to eventually download a copy of the iso for general use.

also i made a mistake regarding the opening movie:
the game doesn't wait for the video to actually end, it has a timer of some sort. if the video/opening.hps extend beyond the timer then the game freezes. looks like you can't edit as much as i thought.

SleepyK

i've been trying to get the first minute and thirty seconds of silence as the opening movie since 4.

mth isn't playing nice

SleepyK

well, mthmake has been highly uncooperative so far. the mth files it makes have random slowdown/speedup issues :(

godfed, if you could tell me what settings you used ;-;

Top Bottom