• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Dayum.
I've been gone too long. Again. So, here I am, for another short time, to give my two cents on how hacking's progressed.

First of all, props to SleepyK and ShootingStars for finding out how to add longer HPS music by clearing out other data. That's pretty cool. Plus refining the THP/MTH hacks. I never got those completely right, nice job. SleepyK, you beast.

Second. Game and Watch is now a person of color. Very nice. And Fox and Falco are getting laser/shine help, I am excited.

Okay, so. I have spring break right now, which gives me a little time to get back into the smash hacking. I started re-editing the first post to be more organized and up to date, which I'll post later this week. If SleepyK doesn't mind, I'd like to know what he did for his MTH/THP hacks, so I can attempt to update the program "mthmake". And, if you guys want, I'll post the source code for the programs I've made so far, if you guys want to tweak them or something. After this week, I'm probably going to disappear again until summer - the days are just packed, and school's taking up all of my time. Actually, I'll probably be free after AP tests are done, so that's a little over a month. Anyway. I just thought I'd pop in and see what's up.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
it turns out that the mth "issues" don't have anything to do in particular with the mths themselves.. rather there are some limitations in the game that pertain to the mth files.
for example, the opening mth has a specifc set of frames (1240-1260 or something... idr atm) that is forced to play at double speed. it also automatically ends at the set amount of time without waiting for the video to finish.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Double speed....huh. When I did my first MTH hack, I noticed that the file size was smaller than the original, and the time it took was longer than the original. Not to mention Dolphin went incredibly slow when it played the hack. Oh, and the image quality sucked. Sorry to be so prodding, but do you have a download link to your opening movie? (the silentspectre one)

n0ne

Smash Ace
Anyone doing any Ganon texs?
Actually, I think Batman or some other superhero would look pretty sweet on him, cuz of his cape...

Also, Mario.... could be robin or something of the like..

Animal

Smash Lord
super mario galaxy fire ice skins? rapeee i need 2 know how 2 get these ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LuCKy

Smash Master

someone really needs to make falcon into this one lol batman and captain america came out perfect and im sure flash will as well . . the dude is like meant for super heros

and i think black spidey could work for falcon as well if you just black out his whole body/face n throw in the white for his eyes and logo. . . could be amazing!!! like i said before id pay for that lol ill mail anyone who does it like 5 bucks or something :] *id offer more but im poor*

this one ive thought about for such a long time lol i think bizzaro is like meant for gannon. i would imagine it would come out absolutely perfect if you did it right lol someone, you got this !!

mannnnn super heros **** lol

revel8n

Smash Cadet
So, this has probably been asked before, but I don't feel like looking through all 91 pages. Is it possible to add characters? Like, not clones but straight up characters? Such as since there's a captain america captain falcon skin, could there just be a character for captain america with his own unique moveset?
at least, not for now. if melee had a larger team of hackers, it certainly would be feasible, but...
Don't want to get anyone's hopes up yet, but...

i hope to be at a point where i can do simple mesh edits to characters soon, but i have to make time to implement the code necessary to test things properly, as well as get either the emulator or my console going for proper testing. Though i will probably just end up posting some edited files here to see if they still work for you all after modification.

i still have a bit of things to do before getting to that point, as the melee format is not as linear as others with regard to how it stores its data. i need to test reworking the format in an easier to modify layout. Unfrotunately that requires tracking a good bit of pointer/offset relocation, unless things are modified strictly in place as is usually done with texture edits. So non size changing edits will be my first test once i get to it.

i hope to get to a point where that will no be necessary, but that will depend on how data size affects memory usage and other factors of the game even being able to run with modified assets, as well as whether or not enough of the unknown portions of the format can be figured out in order to completely recreate some parts of the files after modification.

There are also still some things i need to test regarding the mesh and matrix offsets in order to get vertex positions correct.

The animation data has not been started on yet. But i hope to get to that as well at some point.

Although, those of you with some gamecube knowledge, and willing to find the proper offsets, could already make some modifications if you wanted.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
lol i could see bizarro for ganon,.

btw, Shadow Jiggs = Venonat?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Don't want to get anyone's hopes up yet, but...

i hope to be at a point where i can do simple mesh edits to characters soon, but i have to make time to implement the code necessary to test things properly, as well as get either the emulator or my console going for proper testing. Though i will probably just end up posting some edited files here to see if they still work for you all after modification.

i still have a bit of things to do before getting to that point, as the melee format is not as linear as others with regard to how it stores its data. i need to test reworking the format in an easier to modify layout. Unfrotunately that requires tracking a good bit of pointer/offset relocation, unless things are modified strictly in place as is usually done with texture edits. So non size changing edits will be my first test once i get to it.

i hope to get to a point where that will no be necessary, but that will depend on how data size affects memory usage and other factors of the game even being able to run with modified assets, as well as whether or not enough of the unknown portions of the format can be figured out in order to completely recreate some parts of the files after modification.

Although, those of you with some gamecube knowledge, and willing to find the proper offsets, could make modifications if you wanted. There are also still some things i need to test regarding the mesh and matrix offsets in order to get vertex positions correct.

The animation data has not been started on yet. But i hope to get to that as well at some point.
Sounds like some pretty heavy-duty stuff. But MUCH luck to you with it; we all really appreciate all that's being done behind the scenes, for the benefit of everyone else. :)

SleepyK

what? it's no secret. the full name is gcrev.
it's in this thread.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
is there an iso with stage texture hacks out? Wheres the stage texture hack guide? I can't find it anywhere

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
superheros work just fine for falcon / ganon

though I still think Batman would look cool for Marth, even if he's a swordsman.. cape and stuff would work nice

Buddha Lova

Smash Apprentice
can someone please upload their samus green texture for me please! mine is corrupt and it freezes the game every time i pick the color. thanks a head of time.

Ariac

Smash Rookie
Once I get a job I'll gladly give a bunch of money to whoever can make a new character for Crono and make him balanced. Not a texture hack, but a legit new character. And not super buggy or anything, I want him to work like he was in the original release. I don't know how much I could give you but it'd be worth thousands just to find out we could add more characters to this game.

SleepyK

our hacking team isn't big enough for those kind of leaps in hacking yet. we have one or two folks working on model hacking so far.

SleepyK

none of us do this for the money though! we're also probably not legally able to accept any money anyway.

Buddha Lova

Smash Apprentice
Mm, alternatively, you COULD download the file(s) back on my texture post on Page 4; Green Samus is available, and each pack generally contains all the original .DAT/.USD files.
i think i may have replaced the original file with a smaller texture(i think i have the same hack on another texture) and now none of the downloads i get are the same size. :( the file size is 392 KB (401,741 bytes) if anyone has a texture that size please share it with me!

LuCKy

Smash Master
i cant with mango living at my house lol he plays counter strike all day and if i try to upload it, he'll lag. . .ive tried already >.> blame him lol

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
OK folks. I updated the first post to be a bit more reflective of what has changed in the last few months. Here's a changelog for you all.

Things I changed:
1. Changed the general organization of the post. I simplified a lot of the headers and titles. Links have their own section, sorted into texture-related, audio-related, etc. Hopefully this will help people with finding information, programs, and anything else they'll need.
2. Added a general intro at the very top of the page.
3. Texture Guide: I kept the original stuff that I wrote, but added "New School" notes that give steps to help with Steelia's texture packs.
4. Audio Guide: Lots of stuff. I reworded the Introduction, SSM Overview (clarified coefficient stuff), and a little bit of the HPS Overview. I deleted the "Mini-Guide", since I figure the guide with the hps_insert program is more useful and applicable. I also deleted the links section at the bottom, instead adding a link to Tichinde925's audio thread. I added clarification on loop points, and a Troubleshooting HPS section at the end, which should help people. Sorry if it's still hard to understand. HPS hacking is complicated, I know.

Things I didn't change:
1. I did not touch Steelia's +1/+2 guide.
2. The SSM Hacking Guide is the same, so is the example
3. Most of the HPS Hacking Guide
4. The Video Section

Things I didn't add/change but probably should have:
1. An example to go with Steelia's +1/+2 guide
2. An example for SSM hacks with stereo audio as well as mono
3. An example for HPS hacks
4. Something on Model Hacks and such
5. Pictures? maybe? idk
6. I might move the "updates" list that's at the beginning of the post somewhere else so it's out of the way. I was thinking of posting it all in this thread, updating that post, and just linking to the post from the guide. Sorta like how I link to Steelia's texture dumps, idk.

Things I'd like to know for the near future:
1. How to do a proper video hack (MTH/THP)
2. Do you people want source code for my programs? They're all in C++
3. What should I add to the guide on the first post? What needs work? What's missing? What still doesn't make sense?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Woah, way to rise back from the dead, GodFed. XD

Glad you took the time to do a little reworking of the first post.
With any possible guides you may consider making (particularly related towards one explaining the MTH/THP formats), most people seem to prefer video tutorials... much like how I did to cover the basics of CSPs and most non-Indexed textures (whereas SleepyK is covering HPS w/o hps_insert, I believe).

Every now and again, people make a query about what things you used for your programs (that's what I've noticed, anyway)... so... it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to note it, either in the post you make with the tool(s), or perhaps supplied with the tool in a spare TXT file or something. Just a thought.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
can anyone help me? whenever I run the gamecube back up launcher, it goes to a green screen and takes me back to the bootmii screen. what am I doing wrong?

edit: so I found out that whenever I try installing the mios thing, it says "file fat no found." does anyone know how to fix this?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Things I didn't add/change but probably should have:
1. An example to go with Steelia's +1/+2 guide
A lot of the indexed textures that I've worked with used RGB565 palettes. However, all of Yoshi's indexed textures are in RGB5A3 format.

If you're trying to do an example for indexed textures, you can use Mario's eyes for non-transparency, and Yoshi's belly for transparency.

voorhese

Smash Master
i cant with mango living at my house lol he plays counter strike all day and if i try to upload it, he'll lag. . .ive tried already >.> blame him lol
lol mango and lucky living together sounds like to much epic for one building to take

Top Bottom