• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
I'm audio modding right now and as I'm starting with menu01.hps. The song I'd like to use 195.239 seconds but I can only make it last 55.210. Is there any way I can make that longer?

Edit because I'm a noob: The first attempt I made, I settled for the shortened version of the song. I forgot to make loop points on my Mono R part of the hps_insert and it would cause dolphin to freeze instead of loop. Is that what the issue was?
Regarding your first question, there is a way to make it longer but you should probably check out SleepyK's tutorial videos for that. Alternately you can get his ISO, which has all commonly legal stages and several formerly-legal stages pre-hacked with a 15 minute audio file which you can replace with pretty much anything.

As for your second question, I'd say that's probably the issue. When I was first doing hps hacking I had a similar thing, where Dolphin would freeze at the loop point. Just remake ensuring that the loop points are correct and that should fix it.

In other news, I'm glad to see you guys liked my guide :D

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
tcll how to download your program?
lol
I havn't finished it yet :3

still working on the formats...
but I have a fix for the I8 format...

I didn't know it had 8x4 tiles on top of the pixels...
(reading by 8x4 tiles)

the image below (in my last post) only reads the pixels in order

I'll have it ready for DL once I finish the formats and have it working for any REFT ;)

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
dead thread is dead...
let me liven it up with a bump of good news :D

I've finished the I8 format of my viewer
here's an image:

as for the other formats...
I havn't started them yet...
but I'm working on the RGB565 format right now...

here's the list of formats: (progress shows)
0 I4 (4 bit intensity, 8x8 tiles)
1 I8 (8 bit intensity, 8x4 tiles)
2 IA4 (4 bit intensity with 4 bit alpha, 8x4 tiles)
3 IA8 (8 bit intensity with 8 bit alpha, 4x4 tiles)
4 RGB565 (4x4 tiles)
5 RGB5A3 (*) (4x4 tiles)
6 RGBA8 (4x4 tiles in two cache lines - first is AR and second is GB)
8 CI4 (4 bit color index, 8x8 tiles)
9 CI8 (8 bit color index, 8x4 tiles)
10 CI14X2 (14 bit color index, 4x4 tiles)
14 CMP (S3TC compressed, 2x2 blocks of 4x4 tiles)

Steelia

Smash Champion
Woo, some progress is better than none. Awesome, Tcll. :D

Question:
When you find out about the formats more... do you think it'd be possible to make certain formats, different? Like making non-transparent textures (RGB565) transparent (RGB5A3)? I've always been curious to how far you could go with formats.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
Woo, some progress is better than none. Awesome, Tcll. :D

Question:
When you find out about the formats more... do you think it'd be possible to make certain formats, different? Like making non-transparent textures (RGB565) transparent (RGB5A3)? I've always been curious to how far you could go with formats.
I can answer that already... :D
yes you can :)

but yea,
through a format conversion process...
note: changes image size

eg: (using B/W examples)

an I4 pixel: (4 bit, no alpha)
'F'

an IA4 pixel: (4bit + 4bit alpha)
'FF'

an I8 pixel: (8bit, no alpha)
'FF'

an IA8 pixel: (8bit + 8bit alpha)
'FF FF'

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
Tcll, can I ask exactly what you're doing? Like, in English please. I'm guessing you're making a texture viewer?
lol english XD

it's ~kinda...
I guess you could say a texture viewer...

the textures are stored inside internal files in the REFT

REFT
--internal file
----texture

there hasn't been any cases yet, but I'm expecting a case of:

REFT
--internal file 1
----texture 1
----texture 2
--internal file 2
----contents (may/may not be textures)

EDIT:
0 I4 (4 bit intensity, 8x8 tiles)
1 I8 (8 bit intensity, 8x4 tiles)

2 IA4 (4 bit intensity with 4 bit alpha, 8x4 tiles)
3 IA8 (8 bit intensity with 8 bit alpha, 4x4 tiles)
4 RGB565 (4x4 tiles)
5 RGB5A3 (*) (4x4 tiles)
6 RGBA8 (4x4 tiles in two cache lines - first is AR and second is GB)
8 CI4 (4 bit color index, 8x8 tiles)
9 CI8 (8 bit color index, 8x4 tiles)
10 CI14X2 (14 bit color index, 4x4 tiles)
14 CMP (S3TC compressed, 2x2 blocks of 4x4 tiles

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
Question. I've been modding a Melee ISO. Standard Melee-- NOT SleepyK's. I have all the textures replaced but I'm working on Audio now. Can I use SleepyK's 14:02 .hps'es on my iso? Or do I have to redo all my texturing on SleepyK's?

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
You can just make all the replacements again on SleepyK's ISO, which shouldn't take long. The hard part in all of this hacking is usually making the files; the actual replacement is pretty simple.

Edit: If you decide not to go this route, then I highly recommend watching SleepyK's ISO rebuilding tutorial videos. If you do that, then by clearing out enough space, you can replace a bunch of stage songs with the 14:02 song yourself.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
I finally made the first big change in a while to the first post. Now it's more compact and organized, for the most part. Expect a minor format edit in the next day or two.

Changes:
1. All the guides that were in the first post were cut and pasted to other places in this thread. I mostly just overwrote old posts of mine.
2. I linked to all the guides. So you can easily access any guide written by a SWF member in the Melee Workshop. That includes guides by me, Steelia, Cobalt, and GSUB.
3. I also added a section with "Useful Posts". Anything interesting or unusual went there. If you find anything particularly interesting, let me know and I''ll add it to the list.

To Do:
1. I need to finish formatting the post. As you can see, the first half of it is fine, but the second half is trashy. I got a bit lazy. I'll finish it in a day or two to match the first half.
2. I have a few more links to put up still.
3. The "Updates" section has been temporarily removed. I'll put it back later when I find a good way to fit it in.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
I finally made the first big change in a while to the first post. Now it's more compact and organized, for the most part. Expect a minor format edit in the next day or two.

Changes:
1. All the guides that were in the first post were cut and pasted to other places in this thread. I mostly just overwrote old posts of mine.
2. I linked to all the guides. So you can easily access any guide written by a SWF member in the Melee Workshop. That includes guides by me, Steelia, Cobalt, and GSUB.
3. I also added a section with "Useful Posts". Anything interesting or unusual went there. If you find anything particularly interesting, let me know and I''ll add it to the list.

To Do:
1. I need to finish formatting the post. As you can see, the first half of it is fine, but the second half is trashy. I got a bit lazy. I'll finish it in a day or two to match the first half.
3. The "Updates" section has been temporarily removed. I'll put it back later when I find a good way to fit it in.
Awesome, thanks man.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I wonder if there's been any work done on trying to make the c-stick functional in 1-player modes? Or if it's even possible?

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Just posting this here for the lulz:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11457724&postcount=2475

My DSP Audio Tutorial.

This is for those that want to edit sounds, character voices, effects, etc.

The original post has everything. What it doesnt have are pictures!

So, in only 15 pictures, here it is. It should be simple to understand.

Its only the Hex Editing part as the audio editing part should be straightforward.

GSUB

Smash Lord

Changes:

To Do:
Yayyyyyy n_n thank you!

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
yah there are a couple model rips and uses out there. i'm curious as to how people do papercraft, i've made a few.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Deku, simply put, people who make printable papercrafts use a program called Pepakura. It basically unfolds a 3-D Model.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
Texture releases. Some of my goodies.

Well it's been kinda dull here lately so as promised I will go ahead and release some of my unreleased stuff since nobody else has ;) Enjoy!

Dark Zelda, replaces PlZdWh.dat
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KX2P69CW

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dark Sheik, replaces PlSkWh.dat
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L0ZF6XX6

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christmas Edition Peach Replaces PlPeNr.dat
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D95FZQUS

Golden brawl style fox replaces PlFxNr.dat
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GD6MDLKM

Black Wargle style Falco replaces PlFcNr.dat
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MNPS2I0B

Streets of Rage style Mushroom Kingdom (milun's Metalmario64 vertex hack) replaces Grl1.dat
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EUBJNJ9Q

Will release more stuff as the week goes by :)

Gbd

Smash Rookie
Wow all of them are awesome, good job warriorknight !

Could you pleeeeeease make a blue ranger :D ? That's the only one missing pretty much

Xmark

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to get melee hax but so far im off 2 a bad start I have a blank and hacked IOS template(i think so) and Gc-tool I am just have trouble with the IOS because I can't open it or even edit it with gc-tools yet I downloaded gamecube back up luncher and those other 2 files but all of them freeze I have a few files one my cpu but I guess what is wrong is that I am a cave man and I need someone to talk me through this anyone
Please respond.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Hey WarriorKnight, the downloads for the hacked Mush Kingdom texture and the Yellow Brawl Fox aren't working for me. For the Mush King it shows as Milun's original, and Yellow Fox shows as a black and white Fox.

Anyone else have issues? Care to test?

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Hey WarriorKnight, the downloads for the hacked Mush Kingdom texture and the Yellow Brawl Fox aren't working for me. For the Mush King it shows as Milun's original, and Yellow Fox shows as a black and white Fox.

Anyone else have issues? Care to test?
yeah the yellow brawl fox isnt working for me either...
i already let him know in the other texture thread

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
ok

i dl'ed sleepyk's iso file and burned it to a dvd-r through imgburn

i have wii version 4.3

got homebrew installed

dl'ed the apps folder from the op

put it in root of sd card

loaded homebrew

but here is where i run into problems...

the 2 apps that the op says to install dont work

one just goes to a blank screen and the other goes to the heavy metal menu option but is unresponsive

i tried dl'ing another set of apps and got the same results, so im pretty sure i missed something somewhere

help pl0x

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
^You probably need to restore the trucha bug. I had similar problems on firmware 4.2 until I found out I needed to restore the trucha bug. Also you need make sure to select the correct IOS on the cIOS installer as well as have the proper .wad file on the root of your sd card for the cIOS installer to work properly, otherwise it will freeze or give you an error message.

This guide is really easy to follow and gives detailed, step by step instructions. However, it is intended for 4.2 firmware so it may not work for you.

Try this guide as well. It pretty much covers everything and applies to all firmware types.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
ok im pretty sure i got all the apps installed

but when i put in the melee iso dvd and run the backup launcher it says, dvd error no disk

did i mess up the burning process?

or is something not installed right?

i suck

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
Q. I’m getting an error with : No DVD when I try to run a game – why ?
A. This is a burn media issue – dont use DVD REWRITABLES and try a different disc/drive/burn speed. You need to change the book type of DVD+R.

found this

gonna try a non rewritable disk tomorrow

hope that will work

~Shao~

Smash Ace
Sorry to burst your bubble, but all 4.3 wiis come with a DVD drive that is incapable of reading burned disks. That is, IF your wii came with 4.3 firmware. But even if it came with 4.2 firmware, if you bought it mid-late 2008 or later, it has that DVD drive.

http://www.wiidrives.com/list?v_perpage=100

here you can check what drive your wii probably has based on its serial number. Hope it helps.

Top Bottom