• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

smakis

Smash Ace
sleepy, how did you remove the "extras" from the intro movie? As in the "allstars in" and so on?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Don't use GC-Tool. Use gcrev. Allows you to build your Melee from the ground up by extracting all the files, and allowing you to replace, say, smaller audio songs with larger audio. So long as the entire file size doesn't increase to over 1.35GB you're good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtYLpaWthAs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzbsjU4HLLI

Probably what you want.
Save GC-Tool for minor file changes (like replacing costumes) so you don't have to constantly rebuild your Melee with each change.

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
Back. My whole "colour change" thing should be ready tonight. Should I start a new thread for it? I think I might need to. Someone start nagging me to get going before I get lazy XD
It's old but... Is this available now ? (can't find it)

Stev

Smash Ace
So I'm trying to replace the video files (ie MvOpen) to make space for bigger audio files. When I do so, i get an error in GC Rebuilder saying something about a different image or something. Can anyone help me out on this?

Stev

Smash Ace
You need a specific file to replace the files in Melee (in this case, MTH)... This is the base I use:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=66Q3XUI1

43KB, I believe from SleepyK's Melee... Replace any MTH files you see fit. Of course, just make sure it's the same name as the MTH files you're replacing~
I'll take a look at the stuff you uploaded. I was trying to just replace the MvOpen with like yoshi's victory video or whatever. A friend of mine did it and it worked, but it won't work for me. Same deal with MvOmake15

EDIT: Didn't work with the file you uploaded. The error says "Oops. Please email me about this image :)"

What I'm doing is renaming the file to the name I want to replace, then putting it in the root folder replacing the bigger video.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
When I mean "rebuild" I mean you have a series of files in a directory, and have gc-rebuilder MAKE an ISO / GCM file from that directory.

you can't replace files all willy nilly in the iso that don't match because the byte data gets messed up, and the game won't read it like that.

Stev

Smash Ace
I'm not doing it in the ISO, i'm doing it in the root directory and then rebuilding it using the program. I don't think the program does it any other way

EDIT: Also, can someone repost the apps.rar? The link doesn't really seem to work on filefront anymore

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Is there a code that turns friendly fire on when using the Debug menu?
It would make 3v3, 2v4, and 2v2v2s much more fun.

I have version 1 BTW.

Pi

Smash Hero
hey uh i hit yes when i replaced a texture (as in the filesize do you know what you are doing)
is this for sure gonna freeze my game or something? or should it be ok?

Steelia

Smash Champion
hey uh i hit yes when i replaced a texture (as in the filesize do you know what you are doing)
is this for sure gonna freeze my game or something? or should it be ok?
99% chance it'll freeze. :C

Always be sure to hit "No". Not sure what goes on when you Yes, but it's nothing good.

fOof

Smash Rookie
From my experience, hitting 'Yes' replaces the file as normal and the dolphin iso will play just fine (didn't test this on a real burned disk though). However, the size allocated to that particular file on the disk becomes the size of the new file. It accepts files that are at most the same size; you are not allowed to replace files with bigger ones simply because there is no space in the iso.

This is a problem because most files of a specific texture are set to the same standard size, so when you reduce the space that that file is allowed to use, none of those standard-sized textures can be used anymore. If you want to be able to use those files again, you have to get a new iso and manually replace each file again (trust me, I've misclicked a few times too many and had to go through the whole process). On the other hand, if you did that for a file that you don't plan to change in the future, then you can probably forget about it and it won't change much. However, it's probably still best to take care of it now before you forget about it.

Pi

Smash Hero
could i simple replace the size again w/ one from an un-changed iso and then re-place with the new texture hack and hit no?

& steelia i'm trying to get your textures burned to a disc but i haven't got a dvd burner and my people have been mia
hopefully i can get it working tomorrow and be able to show the kids i MM at p5 them

fOof

Smash Rookie
You could try, but I think it depends. If you replaced the original with one of the same size, then nothing would have changed and it'd be fine, but if you replaced it with a smaller one, then you can't rewrite the original back over it. I guess just try, and if not, then you'll have to go over each file again, which only takes like 10 mins anyway.

hussaibi

Smash Rookie
Any work on AI?

Has anyone done any work with hacking the melee AI?
I can't find anything on it. Essentially wondering if someone could
make a similar post for AI as there are for texture and audio hacks.

hussaibi

Smash Rookie
Re: Any work on AI

yea lets get to work on making falco SHL only :D
The reason I mention it:
- All fighting games can be modeled using game theory (my controller input, my opponent's controller input, and the current state of the game lets me decide whats best to do next)
- Melee got technical after it's release as a game
- Artificial Neural Networks have been used to regress chaotic functions since the 1980's and it would make perfect sense for the Melee AI to be modeled after one due to the first point
- If an ANN model is used, all levels of CPU AI can be retrained but with a corpus of technical matches (as time series data).

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I've searched everywhere, and I cannot find an image of the black Dr. Mario's stock icon.
I figured this would be the best place to ask.
So, could anyone help me out?
Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom