• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee SFX Update (05/07/17): Brawl Link? Melee Link?!! Alt Link Modz!

What should I do with Melee Announcer voice?

• Replace only the clips that play during matches

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Replace only the characters' Announcer clips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace everything that is able to be replaced

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Make all of these ^ options available

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Dun kurr (Don't care lol)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
CSS announcer works perfectly now. For some reason I was expecting PM's, but again the mlee one surprised me with its greatness.

I inserted the sawnd file like you said, but I can't figure out how to save the edited brsar so that I can reopen it in brawlbox.
It is automatically saved. So you just open it and then export whatever sounds.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Thank you for all the guidance, Mr. InternetExplorer Sir. Melee SFX feel so right yet will take some time to adjust to, especially with Lucas not having as much sfx on nair and downb (which I kind of like so far, actually)

Minor aesthetic suggestion: Speed up Bowser's flame breath noise so it goes better with his animation. Right now there's a good chunk of that animation with no sound.
Haha you're the first person to actually notice the issue with Bowser's [Dormammu] CHAOTIC FLAAME! It's been that way since he was made... I still haven't been able to figure out exactly what the frickin deal is with that... I have learned a bit more about PSA editing though... and might actually be able to properly fix that soon (I hope anyway...)

Also, speaking of Lucas' sfx... what are your opinions on a Lucas with more Melee Ness-y sfx? His Down B would have the same sounds as Ness, as well as Up B... not sure about Side B... I'd maybe just add the little sparkly sound to the start up... maybe Neutral B too... Idk for sure. Those are really the only things I'd change I think. Just something to give the two psy babbies some unity of a sort within this project. Gimme ur thoughts!

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
The only thing I could suggest potentially is to fix it to where nair makes the "stinging" sound, but like I mentioned while it is different, it does give it a more "natural" feel that I enjoy.

Leave up-b as it is with Melee SFX, same for sideb and neutral. Downb I'd consider changing. I mean I think if Ness' were Melee's magnet and Lucas' were the new one, it'd be kind of cool but I'm open to the idea.

Also, I'm here to report that apparently your Bowser and Ness files are outdated or something? They desync on 3.0 wifi no matter which costume or stage I pick. I'm assuming it's the fitfighter.pacs.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
The only thing I could suggest potentially is to fix it to where nair makes the "stinging" sound, but like I mentioned while it is different, it does give it a more "natural" feel that I enjoy.

Leave up-b as it is with Melee SFX, same for sideb and neutral. Downb I'd consider changing. I mean I think if Ness' were Melee's magnet and Lucas' were the new one, it'd be kind of cool but I'm open to the idea.

Also, I'm here to report that apparently your Bowser and Ness files are outdated or something? They desync on 3.0 wifi no matter which costume or stage I pick. I'm assuming it's the fitfighter.pacs.
They're updated. These mods just seem to have an intermittent issue with Wifi desyncs. I guess because the sizes are slightly different after they've been modified? I've been meaning to change that on each individual mod. The packs that were just uploaded show that it could possibly desync (why does it keep autocorrecting this word to 'Dwayne?') but the separate character mods don't.

In a nutshell... TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO USE THESE MODS TOO! Lol

Edit: Also what do you mean by stinging sound for Nair? You mean the hit sound right? That should be there. I was playing with him last night and everything sounded fine as far as I could tell. You may need to redownload that thar 7.sawnd.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
They're updated. These mods just seem to have an intermittent issue with Wifi desyncs. I guess because the sizes are slightly different after they've been modified? I've been meaning to change that on each individual mod. The packs that were just uploaded show that it could possibly desync (why does it keep autocorrecting this word to 'Dwayne?') but the separate character mods don't.

In a nutshell... TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO USE THESE MODS TOO! Lol

Edit: Also what do you mean by stinging sound for Nair? You mean the hit sound right? That should be there. I was playing with him last night and everything sounded fine as far as I could tell. You may need to redownload that thar 7.sawnd.
Listen to Lucas' nair (hitting someone) in vanilla PM on a youtube video and then see how it matches up to the Melee-ified sfx. With the melee pack there's sfx but they're more like standard hit sfx and are a lot less... cacophonic. Which, like I mentioned is kind of nice.

Another thing to suggest is to change the SFX back so Samus' Ice-Usmash has the vPM sfx. I don't know how that'd be done but...

Anyway Ness definitely desyncs for me and I downloaded him from the vault. Same for Bowser. Did you edit them off a 3.0 base or 2.6b base and tried to update?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Listen to Lucas' nair (hitting someone) in vanilla PM on a youtube video and then see how it matches up to the Melee-ified sfx. With the melee pack there's sfx but they're more like standard hit sfx and are a lot less... cacophonic. Which, like I mentioned is kind of nice.

Another thing to suggest is to change the SFX back so Samus' Ice-Usmash has the vPM sfx. I don't know how that'd be done but...

Anyway Ness definitely desyncs for me and I downloaded him from the vault. Same for Bowser. Did you edit them off a 3.0 base or 2.6b base and tried to update?
The way I updated them was editing the 3.0 FitBrawler.pac files. No way in hell I was gonna try to replicate their updates with the 2.6 .pac files lmao. Wouldn't have a clue where to start.

I'll check the Lucas schtuff when I get home. I have an unmodded version of P:M that I can just swap out to test as well. Need MOAR SD's so I can test Wifi too!

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Okay, I've got a question now. I want to use Ganondorf's Melee SFX alongside this moveset hack. (http://smashboards.com/threads/ganondorf-sword-mode-for-projectm.342640/) How would I be able to go about doing this? Do I just need to export something from one pac file and import it into the other or is the whole thing more complicated than that? Any help with this would be appreciated.
In order to do that you'd literally have to redo that .pac file completely, making all the changes to that .pac file that are in my Ganon.pac file (this is what I have to do for every P:M update) and then making appropriate sfx changes for the attacks that were added into that mod. You can't copy and paste as that causes memory leaks for some dumb reason and thus causes the Wii to scream at you when you try to play with him.

You working on the announcer calls for Roy and M2?
Those are already done. Redownload Melee SFX and replace your current 223.sawnd.

Kati

Smash Lord
You'd have to insert the .sawnd file into a .brsar file using Super Sawndz and then extract them using BrawlBox. Tedious, I know haha.
Hmm, I can export most sfx into wav files using brawlbox, but all. I inserted 20.sawnd into a new brsar, quit, opened it in brawlbox, and then followed this chain: snd>vc>Captain. Every sfx after 005 had no preview and 0 "numsamples."

Which version of brawlbox are you using? I find sometime that older versions can do certain tasks better than older ones, but I'm currently using .69b.

Also, which sawnds are responsible for the announcer at the css? 220 and 223 in the characall folder?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Hmm, I can export most sfx into wav files using brawlbox, but all. I inserted 20.sawnd into a new brsar, quit, opened it in brawlbox, and then followed this chain: snd>vc>Captain. Every sfx after 005 had no preview and 0 "numsamples."

Which version of brawlbox are you using? I find sometime that older versions can do certain tasks better than older ones, but I'm currently using .69b.

Also, which sawnds are responsible for the announcer at the css? 220 and 223 in the characall folder?
That's the version I used to extract the Brawl magic hits... Wait I'm lying, it was actually just 0.69 (no letters). And yes 223 is for the character calls, 220 replaces a bunch of other things... like instead of Brawl voice saying "Free For Aaaaaaaaaall" you get the classic Melee voice saying "Meleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" Also 223 should have Roy and Mewtwo already included.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
In order to do that you'd literally have to redo that .pac file completely, making all the changes to that .pac file that are in my Ganon.pac file (this is what I have to do for every P:M update) and then making appropriate sfx changes for the attacks that were added into that mod. You can't copy and paste as that causes memory leaks for some dumb reason and thus causes the Wii to scream at you when you try to play with him.

Those are already done. Redownload Melee SFX and replace your current 223.sawnd.
Why are you so amazing? I'm taking you out to dinner LOL

Kati

Smash Lord
That's the version I used to extract the Brawl magic hits... Wait I'm lying, it was actually just 0.69 (no letters). And yes 223 is for the character calls, 220 replaces a bunch of other things... like instead of Brawl voice saying "Free For Aaaaaaaaaall" you get the classic Melee voice saying "Meleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" Also 223 should have Roy and Mewtwo already included.
hmm the melee announcer says "choose your character" at the css for me. But I prefer it anyways.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Is there any way I can edit these SFX so I can only have the Melee voices yet keep the Brawl SFX?

When rolling with Fox and Falco, there's no SFX.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Is there any way I can edit these SFX so I can only have the Melee voices yet keep the Brawl SFX?

When rolling with Fox and Falco, there's no SFX.
It would be easier just to make another .sawnd file with only the voice clips changed. You should be able to find that just about anywhere though... well Brawl Vault I mean.

If you edited the 3.0 files themselves, should I just try re-downloading Bowser/Ness' files?
You could, but I'm not sure it'd fix the issue. Unless you just somehow had the old .pac files for those 2 haha.

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
It would be easier just to make another .sawnd file with only the voice clips changed. You should be able to find that just about anywhere though... well Brawl Vault I mean.

You could, but I'm not sure it'd fix the issue. Unless you just somehow had the old .pac files for those 2 haha.
Amaze can you make a list of sfx that you still need or are missing from the hit, announcer, and character sfx? I can name a few
  • Some 1P modes still have brawl announcer.
  • Mario's victory sfx
  • Clank sfx
  • "Survival"
  • I know there's more but that's from the top of my head

The Shadow

Smash Apprentice
Ama could maybe after the 3.0 characters you add those 2 little sounds during when you bash a character?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Amaze can you make a list of sfx that you still need or are missing from the hit, announcer, and character sfx? I can name a few
  • Some 1P modes still have brawl announcer.
  • Mario's victory sfx
  • Clank sfx
  • "Survival"
  • I know there's more but that's from the top of my head
Some of the 1p mode stuff doesn't have a Melee clip that I can replace them with. I do plan on doing Mario's victory sounds too. "Survival" should be in the Melee Announcer stuff... And the clank... Well I haven't made it a priority haha. Just like the "Just Shield" sound. But then again there's a reason for the shield sound not being changed... Since they added that extra sound for power shielding multiple hit attacks like Peach's dress... it sounds really... awkward when it plays. I have a plan to fix that whenever I figure out how to change it of course.

Ama could maybe after the 3.0 characters you add those 2 little sounds during when you bash a character?
What sounds are you talking about? The ones that play whenever they take like certain strong hits?

The Shadow

Smash Apprentice
Some of the 1p mode stuff doesn't have a Melee clip that I can replace them with. I do plan on doing Mario's victory sounds too. "Survival" should be in the Melee Announcer stuff... And the clank... Well I haven't made it a priority haha. Just like the "Just Shield" sound. But then again there's a reason for the shield sound not being changed... Since they added that extra sound for power shielding multiple hit attacks like Peach's dress... it sounds really... awkward when it plays. I have a plan to fix that whenever I figure out how to change it of course.

What sounds are you talking about? The ones that play whenever they take like certain strong hits?
Yes.

poklin

Smash Apprentice
anyone know how to utilize these while building a iso for dolphin?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
There currently isn't a way for me to add them and have them play properly. I'd need some coding assistance for them to work... Unfortunate cause I reeeeeeeeeeeeeaally wanna add them in. A crucial part to the "Oomph" that Melee has.

anyone know how to utilize these while building a iso for dolphin?
You'd insert the .sawnd files for each download into a smashbros_sound.brsar file using Super Sawndz and replace that file on the ISO. Digging this little idea all the way btw.

poklin

Smash Apprentice
sweet thanks dood

Edit: so wait do you just choose the input file then click insert? do you have to choose where it goes and stuff? also what about the melee annoucer files?

Last edited:

meow

Smash Apprentice
Due to Brawl mechanics I don't think that he does everytime. Only when the wavedash is not frame perfect is when he'll make the sounds.
I don't think this is the case. I've been picking up roy and everytime I wavedash he will make his jumping noise. Unless Roy ignores this mechanic...

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I don't think this is the case. I've been picking up roy and everytime I wavedash he will make his jumping noise. Unless Roy ignores this mechanic...
I of course know this about Roy having already played the crap out of him (and already gotten pretty darn good with him as a matter of fact). His jump is pretty weird compared to everybodoy elses. It's pretty much instant, as opposed to Luigi. Pretty much the opposite of how his jump was in Melee (wouldn't actually leave the ground for a good 2 to 5 frames or something like that. Most doodz don't make their jump noise until they're actually well off the ground. If you do a perfect wavedash... they don't make any noise. I know this from experience with Marth... (Try it) Fox on the other hand... Unless you have lightning quick fingers and consistency, always makes his jump noise as well because it's so fast.

meow

Smash Apprentice
I of course know this about Roy having already played the crap out of him (and already gotten pretty darn good with him as a matter of fact). His jump is pretty weird compared to everybodoy elses. It's pretty much instant, as opposed to Luigi. Pretty much the opposite of how his jump was in Melee (wouldn't actually leave the ground for a good 2 to 5 frames or something like that. Most doodz don't make their jump noise until they're actually well off the ground. If you do a perfect wavedash... they don't make any noise. I know this from experience with Marth... (Try it) Fox on the other hand... Unless you have lightning quick fingers and consistency, always makes his jump noise as well because it's so fast.
Oooh I see. One of the main reasons I love roy is his consistent wavedash noise haha.

Diraga

Smash Cadet
I really want this but I dislike the loud clicking sound effect when charging up smash moves. What do I have to do to keep the brawl sound effect instead?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I really want this but I dislike the loud clicking sound effect when charging up smash moves. What do I have to do to keep the brawl sound effect instead?
That sound effect hasn't changed between Brawl and this project sooo... Download? lol

I thought it was annoying and a fluke

Also Zero do you have a wifi build or something on another SD card?
I do not currently.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I would actually like if you put the more subtle Melee smash attack charging sfx, i think brawl's is a bit annoying, similar to the ledge grabbing sfx, good you changed it to Melee's, because Brawl ledge grabbing sound was to loud!

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I would actually like if you put the more subtle Melee smash attack charging sfx, i think brawl's is a bit annoying, similar to the ledge grabbing sfx, good you changed it to Melee's, because Brawl ledge grabbing sound was to loud!
Cool! I'll keep that in mind for the next update.

Top Bottom