• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Actually, I should apologize. Even though I'm a troll, I did insult you guys when I said you/your rules were "DUMB" and I am happy you took the "I don't mean to be rude" rout instead of returning it. +1 respect points.

And it isn't a scrub mentaility, it's what I have witnessed. Banning Marth's grab crap on ness/lucas is a no brainer, 100% slam dunk, easiest decision ever. And I've lost in tournament due to infinites before :luigi:, so I am kind of partial to this.

A really GOOD player from our state :ness2: quit because

Match 1-He beats this guy's MK
Match 2-The guy switches to Marth, infinite grabs
Match 3-Didn't happen, and our player quit brawl for good because "That's seriously not against the rules? Screw this game."

Pi3rced said on Yink's thread that "Any marth that uses that will not earn my respect" in regards to Yink having infinites legal at her tournament. Respect~money earned.

I believe the way most people got around infinites was just playing MetaKnight. With MK gone, how are people supposed to counter pick characters properly when they have a severe disadvantage in the matchup?

Adapting is one thing, but my point here IS ADAPTING. People that wanted free wins with MK are only going to start learning infinites to get free wins because thats in the rules.

I'm trying to build a scene for brawl in Nebraska, banning MK, I'm fine with it, but getting rid of free wins would be a start.
Well for your specific example, Ness isn't a good character. He has a serious flaw that can be exploited by Marth. It only affects Ness in that MU. It's a little silly to artificially buff characters just because they have flaws. If Marth could standing infinite everyone, then it'd be a problem, because the metagame would devolve into "Pick Marth to win." But Marth can only standing infinite one MU. If a player mains Ness, he should know that this could happen under a ruleset that allows all infinites. Ness is just plain unviable, even without the infinite, so if the player doesn't have a backup character for bad MUs, he's only hurting himself.

Same goes for D3 vs Luigi/DK situations. DK and Luigi have similar flaws vs D3. Why help them? Why not ban blizzard spam against Ganon as ICs, since Ganon has no answer to that? Ganon players lose every matchup by a considerable margin. It just doesn't make sense to help out characters with flaws like that but not others just because standing infinite looks gay.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
to the people saying "get better/ learn the match up"

IDK how you are missing the fact that MK is the MOST played character in tournament. by 3x the second place amount. and not only that but MK has increased in money earning %.

so apparently, not only have we not learned the match up with most common character in 3.5 years. we have gotten much worse
Yes. Yes you have.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
I get the example. Obviously YOU don't understand what's going on, or you love to troll and throw insults at people on the internet.
Stay on the topic argument people. Insult each other somewhere else.
If you have someting important to contribute, do so.
Don't just sit there and debase each other's intelligence.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Banning 1/37th of the cast is way less invasive than making a mechanics altering mod. At least, it seems that way.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
If Nintendo had released Brawl without even including MK in the first place, would you say that the game was "ruined" from the start?
No one is saying the game would be ruined without Meta Knight. All I'm saying is you are taking away the players freedom to choose any character they want.

I don't particularly care for Meta Knight either and think he is absolutely broken, but I am 100% opposed to the idea that someone can go to a tournament, expecting to play his favorite character, only to be denied by the powers that be.

I'm getting disgusted just thinking about it, especially when a patch could fix it.

zmx

Smash Lord
It's not a manner. I'm a pompous guy. I just happen to check my **** before I post.

We haven't reached a point where your argument is supported and you're the one coming in here making baseless statements. When you've finished making your point, I'll then make my counter point.

I want you to stop spewing baseless comments that are wrong or opinions instead of facts. If you stop, then I'm perfectly fine.

You haven't refuted those arguments from anywhere I've seen. Your argument keeps changing. At first it was that the community didn't know better and that the top players (who you say did know better) all supported an MK ban. Now you are claiming yourself as an authority on the matter and that these reasons for having MK banned are unjust. You still are not supporting your argument. Go ahead and do that now, I'll wait.

You can be wrong, believe me, I know. However, that has nothing to do with the fact that in order for me to show you that you are wrong, I have to show you where your argument is not supported. For that I need to know the basis of your arguments. If I continue to humor you throwing out baseless statements, you can continue throwing them out there.

"The stages background do not hide him. MK should be legal."
"That doesn't cover the issues that he does present. The reasons for banning him have not been addressed."
"Oh, well stalling isn't a problem."
"Yes it is because it allows Meta Knight to abuse the timer to force you into a situation where he is at an extreme advantage."
"But that doesn't happen."

It goes on and on and on and on until I make you support your own statements instead of humoring you.
I have refuted them. Look harder. This time I'll post it again.

1. Planking is fixed by LGL. Simple as that. Make it very low if needed for MK.
2. Tourny results. The BIGGEST tournament possible (Apex) was won by falco. If that isn't solid evidence than you are kidding yourself. Btw he didn't come second either. Also iirc the year before that, snake won. Again the biggest tournament possible that hosts the best players in the nation. Normally I'd say 1 tourny doesn't mean much but when it is of this grand a scale it does. Also in a recent tourny with MK unbanned a Wario won. I wonder what you'll say if this apex, MK doesn't win either.

Also I said "most of the top players". So you are wrong. I never said all. I even mentioned one that didn't. Heck you read that post or at least claimed to. I don't think you are actually reading my posts at all at this point though.

Now if you think I'm wrong kindly refute the top 2 statements.

Obviously, I'm not an authority on the matter. But neither are you, again what's your point? I can still have my say all I want even if I was the scrubiest of scrubs. In fact I could still be right.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Welp, the time has finally come! The LEGENDARY GREEN LESBIAN is here to address your concerns on the mk ban. Unlike the rest of URC, i am unaffected by your insults/poopy mood so please BRING ME YOUR ANGER CAUSE IT ONLY FEEDS MY SOUL! So go ahead and lay it on me. I know you have been waiting for me to arrive. I will quell your pain and make you sane.

EDIT: im serious. bring it ya hooligans

link2702

Smash Champion
well...now that meta is gone i finally have a reason to go to brawl tournaments again.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
that's 4 people coming back to the scene and 1 person quitting because of the MK ban.

you mad anti-ban?

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I'd expect a lot of flaming to happen if MK's banned.

Right now I'm happy Brinstar/RC are still legal. I know a ton of the community just picked up MK because they went the "if you can't beat them, join them" route. I even picked up MK to see if I could be good with him.

And besides, people will still have MK legal tourneys, so I expect MK to be discussed thoroughly in the future. Just because the URC banned him doesn't mean that this is the end for MK. I'm really interested to how this'll be though, because we thought a lot of "what if" MK got banned.

Xubble

Smash Ace
Nah, nah. You're just stupid. My God, what he was saying was figurative.
Really? Where did I take what he said as literal? Go back to the shadows, I'm not playing this game with you.

As for the ban: Learn the MU? We learned it was really stupid to keep a broken character in tourneys.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
No you didn't cause you lost. You're ****ing horrible, just quit. You place bad, and just because MK is gone that isn't gonna change, noob.

HAI BCB, YOU ****!

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
No one is saying the game would be ruined without Meta Knight. I'll I'm saying is you are taking away the players freedom to choose any character they want.

I don't particularly care for Meta Knight either and think he is absolutely broken, but I am 100% opposed to the idea that someone can go to a tournament, expecting to play his favorite character, only to be denied by the powers that be.

I'm getting disgusted just thinking about it, especially when a patch could fix it.
I would support you on this if this exact scenario hasn't been done several times in the past with other fighting games.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
@zmx -

Feel free to question my intentions all you want. I know that upon examination, the data of the poll indicated that the results remained fairly consistent across skill levels (with checks at top 10/25/50/75/100 players) when cross referenced against Rajam's SWF Rankings list.

I am not about to violate forum policy, so I understand if you must remain skeptical.

However, I hope someone defends me(from the community or within the URC) that I was easily the most receptive member of the URC when it came to hearing every argument possible. I was a strong advocate for all forms of information presented and I often argued each piece's merit to the bitter end.

I heard out arguments from both sides and honestly remained the most impartial to the best of my abilities when it came to assessing the public's opinion on the matter. And I feel like my discourse has consistently reflected it.

Armor

Smash Rookie
I want reason for MK's ban that isn't planking or Tourny results. Because I can refute both those arguments easily as I have done before.
Reason to ban MK? Improve the competitive value of the game, simple as that. There shouldn't be any reason to keep a character that essentially can't lose assuming he follows the right flowchart. Even if you know exactly what metaknight's going to do, when he's going to do it, if he's playing the MU right, there's NOTHING you should be able to do to stop him. Not going to back this up, don't care enough to, if you're going to call it baseless, just ignore it.
Yup, still certainly better than completely banning a character and alienating a bunch of players.
I'm not saying it even has to be BB or any other pre-existing mod. Sometimes tells me now that a character has been taken completely off the table, people might be more willing to adopt a fix.
Making HUGE modifications to all play to balance 1, ONE, character.
No, I, and most of the community, refuse.
Banning a broken character.
Sure.

Well a character is a character, you fall in a love with it and you love to play him because he is just play fun, what other reasons do you want as to it being different to a stage or items or even game modes? what the hell? stages dont even have body parts or are parts of games so how can i what i dont even
I love bridge of eldin. I love super mario bros. I love greenhill zone.
Turn all these on please, I love to play with these things, so insert them into your competitive play.*plays DD, laughs maniacally*

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
because pocket snake totally ***** diddy.
Also lol @ pointing out Razer.
Whos to say that snake player MAINS snake and the diddy is a pocket diddy? I used razer as an example because he beats gnes(2nd best diddy) at every event and the last time razer met ADHD(best diddy) he beat him twice(once in losers and once in winners). This was at WHOBO 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom