• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Circuit East 2: October - June Official Info and Announcements

Mr.E

Smash Lord
One thing I will say is that I don't agree with FD being taken off the starter list. I do agree that it's really not all that neutral but the entire point of stage striking is to alleviate such an issue. Battlefield isn't exactly "neutral" either in something like a G&W/D3 match-up and as ROB it's basically my default first strike against most of the cast. I don't see how forcing me to BF more often is more "fair" than forcing someone like MK toward FD. (As if MK needs more help.) Why can't we have the "BF replacement" stage on starter as well, moving BF to counterpick status? And there's plenty of people that john about Lylat being a neutral stage.

Anyway, to get away from my whining... The most neutral stage is determined by the character match-up. Ideally, we'd just use the entire stage list to strike from but I assume time concerns are why nobody does that. The least we could do is expand the starter list. Taking from THE GOD KAIS !! first event, you could add FD plus one of Halberd / Castle / Delfino / Abyss to the starter list to total nine starters. That still leaves more than half of the stage list as CP-only. There's nothing "radical" or unusual or hazardous about FD, it deserves starter status.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
One thing I will say is that I don't agree with FD being taken off the starter list. I do agree that it's really not all that neutral but the entire point of stage striking is to alleviate such an issue. Battlefield isn't exactly "neutral" either in something like a G&W/D3 match-up and as ROB it's basically my default first strike against most of the cast.

How many characters can counterpick Battlefield and get a noticeable advantage on the stage?
How many characters can counterpick FD and get a noticeable advantage on the stage?
How many times does someone ban battlefield against a character?
How many times does someone ban FD against a character?

Hopefully the differences are obvious. No, battlefield isn't a neutral. No stage is. But FD is too far from from being neutral to fit on the list of starters. Even though some characters do counterpick battlefield, smashville, etc, comparing it to the amount of people and characters that counterpick FD would be stupid. Keep in mind I'm not talking about stage strikes, but actual counterpicks. And I think it's obvious that FD gets counterpicked for a very, very good reason.

There's nothing "radical" or unusual or hazardous about FD, it deserves starter status.
This does not make it viable to be a starter. Is Pipes not a starter because of its shape? How about how unusual it is? Do we look at stages that are unusual and immediately deem them not viable to be starters? Is that why Pipes is not on that list? No, Pipes isn't a starter because the Layout of the stage gives a huge, noticeable advantage to a number of characters. This is why Pipes should not be neutral. This is why FD should not be neutral.

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
I agree with Hilt and OS, FD is more of a counterpick then a neutral, i have never banned BF, SV, or Yoshis against anyone, but I have banned FD numerous times.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
It's all character specific... For example, Snake would have no reason to ban BF, SV, or Yoshis because they are all kinda good for him... :p There are multiple characters that gain big advantages on FD (ICs, Diddy, Falco)... That's my 2 cents...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Overswarm, I think I'm going to steal the way you're doing circuit points for teams.

'sCool?
It's cool.

I used it for the last circuit and it worked out well. It greatly encourages consistent teammates. Even the most wishy-washy partners of the circuit at least attempted to team with the same people, so now we've got some heavy consistent teams in the area.

Lunar2

Smash Rookie
Only on the ones with the sky background. On those, the third phase of Castle Siege, and the inside of Spear Pillar, an extra four frames are added to Olimar's plucking animation.
This is such a severe hindrance that Equity not only is likely to be my first stage strike vs the entire cast, but is also likely to replace Rainbow Cruise as the stage I ban when I don't have a matchup-specific ban. It's that bad. Were it a different background, I could see myself not having to waste my ban on it.

Libra seems about equal to FD in usefulness and should be a nice variety pick.

Abyss would be perfect if only it had a pipe added to it. Shame the Stage Editor doesn't have any.

These are just first impressions, though.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
?

Equity doesn't have a sky background.

The first edition of it did, before I knew about sky background issues, but I've changed it long ago.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That's weird.

It's the background in the picture below.

You're half blind.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Abyss would be perfect if only it had a pipe added to it. Shame the Stage Editor doesn't have any.

hahaha too good

glad to have another olimar around, looking forward to seeing you at the events :D

And yeah, there won't be any sky background stages there. I was worried about it as well and checked with os to make sure.

Kel

Smash Master
You could definitely pick better songs for these stages. Like Ocarina of Time Medley or Ashley's song or Mona Pizza!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I do find it weird that PS1 is left as a neutral, but FD isn't...

Also, personally, I ban BF a lot. There's quite a number of characters I don't want to fight there (Marth, MK, Lucario, Olimar, Snake, etc.). I agree with Argent that both BF and FD are heavily character based. Hell, YI kind of is too, and PS1 is the worst of all of them IMO. There's so much janky stuff on that stage...

solecalibur

Smash Master
I do find it weird that PS1 is left as a neutral, but FD isn't...

Also, personally, I ban BF a lot. There's quite a number of characters I don't want to fight there (Marth, MK, Lucario, Olimar, Snake, etc.). I agree with Argent that both BF and FD are heavily character based. Hell, YI kind of is too, and PS1 is the worst of all of them IMO. There's so much janky stuff on that stage...
More tounrys are picking lylat replacing PS1 these days

clowsui

Smash Legend
@hunger: only about 5-6 of the people in mw:e actually pick the stages. having the option is "better than not having it at all", or something like that.

ICE27

Smash Apprentice
NNID
michael0275
So are the custom stages gonna be offically added to the list of cp's? Or is it just for this series?

Magik0722

Smash Champion
**** yes custom stage tournament

Two custom starters with moving platforms + Smashville? Pokemon trainer gets a huge boost with taht

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Haha...I don't like the Custom Stage idea either... It seems like the stages have to much space or not enough space.... But it is worth a try. I didn't like playing on Norfair at first but i got use to it and now I don't mind. So...It's something worth trying before judging...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That aint Kirby Kid
That reference made me lol so hard.

Also, while I agree with both sides of this arguement over custom stages and such, I find the return of banned stages and necessity of choosing betweem them and counter/banned worse. Also, this stagelist offers some HUGE advantages to certain characters, especially high tier ones (Mine included, might I add.).

EDIT:

Also, while custom stages may be worth a try, trying them for the first time in a regional circuit is kind of ********.

Top Bottom