• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Circuit East 2: October - June Official Info and Announcements

Airborne

Smash Lord
I was thinking about another idea for a custom stage, and how about remaking the initial part of warioware as a custom stage? seems legit and no one will get bs'd by the stage b/c you can't get stuck under it. <3

TheKiest

Smash Champion
I like the idea, I'll start working on it this weekend.

The only problem is that the Wario ware stage might be slightly smaller than the small stage.

@OS: I'll send it when I'm done

jokey665

Smash Ace
I was thinking about another idea for a custom stage, and how about remaking the initial part of warioware as a custom stage? seems legit and no one will get bs'd by the stage b/c you can't get stuck under it. <3
One of the nice things about Brawl+: Warioware is a starter because it doesn't change.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
On suggestion from Kiest, I'm gonna try to help move this discussion out of the GOD KAIS !! results thread and into here, since it's more to do with the circuit handling in general than the actual tournament. Hopefully, others will follow. :p That or the discussion there just dies.

inc tl;dr

[On Libra] Are you sure you're actually forced to stay on the platform beneath you? Because you can grab the ledge. Also, why does a stage being bad for tethers make it a bad stage in general?
Tether characters are an important sect of characters, not just one isolated character or match-up, on which the stage can screw them over. Other stages which greatly affect their ledge game one way or the other (e.g. Frigate Orpheon or PTAD against, Norfair for) are CP stages. If what Tyr says is true, current Libra should also be pegged as a CP. The platforms are hardly necessary anyway. They don't do crap to deter planking nor aid poor recoveries, they just allow more effective use of some projectiles (e.g. Diddy can pull out a banana against the wall, Falco can actually "plank" now) and let some characters edgeguard more effectively with grounded moves.

Also, ITT, you didn't want your tournament to be a circuit because FD wasn't a starter more than anything. Most people here liked the fact that FD wasn't a starter (except the falco, IC and Diddy mains).
I don't mind that FD isn't a starter but I mind that Battlefield still is one. It's an arbitrary strengthening of some characters (Marth, G&W, MK) while weakening others, like the ones you mentioned. FD is still a strong CP in certain matchups but so is pretty much every other stage except Smashville. (Even then...) That's the entire point of stage striking, to eliminate the worst stages and play a more neutral first game in any given matchup. Having essentially two Battlefields but only one FD (Libra) isn't fair to the characters that prefer the latter stages. Equity is pretty god-****ed wonky and should definitely be a CP stage to resolve this issue. (The stage itself could be dumped entirely but that's a different argument.)

All I know is, [OS has] made many (provocative) remarks to try to get MI's top players (well, mostly lain because he talks a lot) to come and prove themselves with actions or something, then they go and their top players wreck this **** (and subsequently get wrecked by M2K)
Well, at least the same people still winning shows us that all these so-called "janky stages" aren't leading to wildly incongruent tourney results.

Port Town and Distant Planet are both, as I said, "regional favorites." They'll be favored in certain regions that aren't called Atlantic North, and not others. I don't think Luigi's Mansion is favored by any region except large sections of Ohio.
What other regions are PTAD or Distant Planet regularly a CP and what makes them any more or less important than this region? It really seems like you're downplaying Ohio just for the hell or it (or maybe as a proxy burn against OS). Norfair is pretty standard for the MW in general. Luigi's Mansion is the most common "other" stage in this immediately area (Central/SW Ohio-KY), so it was nothing unusual to have that allowed.

What makes Green Greens less radical a choice than LM, assuming we choose only the "least janky" two stages from Group C? LM tests tech skill a little more than other stages but there's not much else unusual about it. The only "problem" most people have with it is are the faux effects (cave of life, possibly loopable?) that can be temporarily removed by destroying the house. As the opponent can actively prevent you from winning solely on such broken mechanics, I simply consider it something a player-character more able to abuse the stage can use to their advantage... perfect for a CP!

GG has radically shortened boundaries, [breakable] walls, powerful hazards, and a split main platform. The last is not unusual among CP stages, as you see it in Japes, Norfair hardly has a "main" platform at all, etc. But the hazards? The bomb blocks can kill as low as PTAD's cars considering the size of GG's boundaries. The walls are breakable but lend themselves to infinites in a way other temporary walls don't. (Other temp walls, like those of Delfino, go away on their own and are not "permanent until actively broken.") The ceiling is insanely shorter than any other stage in the game and the side boundaries are closer to the outside ledges than even OS's three customs.

I'm sure you have your own things to say on the matter, so to avoid an ongoing argument I'll just mention the closest thing we have to emperical evidence: the latest SBR rules revision has GG voted closer to banworthy (0-6-9 for starter-CP-ban) than LM (0-11-8).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What other regions are PTAD or Distant Planet regularly a CP and what makes them any more or less important than this region? It really seems like you're downplaying Ohio just for the hell or it (or maybe as a proxy burn against OS). Norfair is pretty standard for the MW in general. Luigi's Mansion is the most common "other" stage in this immediately area (Central/SW Ohio-KY), so it was nothing unusual to have that allowed.
PTAD seems to pop up in the Southwest and Midwest. Distant Planet shows up in various Midwest tournaments. I only see Luigi's Mansion being big in the Ohio area. Ohio may have a big scene, but a state isn't a region. No burn intended.

What makes Green Greens less radical a choice than LM, assuming we choose only the "least janky" two stages from Group C? LM tests tech skill a little more than other stages but there's not much else unusual about it. The only "problem" most people have with it is are the faux effects (cave of life, possibly loopable?) that can be temporarily removed by destroying the house. As the opponent can actively prevent you from winning solely on such broken mechanics, I simply consider it something a player-character more able to abuse the stage can use to their advantage... perfect for a CP!

GG has radically shortened boundaries, [breakable] walls, powerful hazards, and a split main platform. The last is not unusual among CP stages, as you see it in Japes, Norfair hardly has a "main" platform at all, etc. But the hazards? The bomb blocks can kill as low as PTAD's cars considering the size of GG's boundaries. The walls are breakable but lend themselves to infinites in a way other temporary walls don't. (Other temp walls, like those of Delfino, go away on their own and are not "permanent until actively broken.") The ceiling is insanely shorter than any other stage in the game and the side boundaries are closer to the outside ledges than even OS's three customs.

I'm sure you have your own things to say on the matter, so to avoid an ongoing argument I'll just mention the closest thing we have to emperical evidence: the latest SBR rules revision has GG voted closer to banworthy (0-6-9 for starter-CP-ban) than LM (0-11-8).
Personally, I've voted GG to be counterpick just so I would know which stage to ban each set, but I digress. Both stages are considered "janky" in a number of regions, but I've seen Green Greens legal in tournaments outside of the Midwest while I've not seen Luigi's Mansion enjoy the same freedom. It doesn't agree with the SBR's votes, but I guess that's just how personal preference goes with people.

Well, at least the same people still winning shows us that all these so-called "janky stages" aren't leading to wildly incongruent tourney results.
Actually, it's hard to come to a conclusion because when the top players disagree with a stage, they still have the option of outright not choosing it, making matchups between two top players exactly the same. Since counterpicks only happen when you lose, top players could still 2-1 any mid-levels who go for some stage that they don't like. The "incongruency" in tournament results would be among mid-level players who are both going for counter-stages that may or may not be competitively sound.

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
Hey look a short post
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

For those who went to the first event, u might have seen a girl taking pictures. If u wanna see all the pics, go here www.arcadelegendsohio.com

Just go to pictures at the top page(there is even one of M2K sleeping like a baby)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=252448

^^^^

Next Circuit event, Nov. 14th in Lexington, KY!

We had a great local KY event down there just a short while ago, featuring a full bracket but having hardly any of the players that went to the first circuit event in Cincinnati, OH! That means we've got a ton of new players in KY just waiting to be added to the scene, so get everyone together and come down to Lexington.

Due to winter/snow/holidays/final exams/time to make additions suggested to the custom stages, there will not be a circuit event in December; we will be starting up again in January.

If there are any more TOs in Ohio, KY, or Indiana that wish to be a TO for the circuit, please send a PM.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
OUGA tournament for this circuit will be in February in Athens, Ohio.

I will post here when we have a confirmed date in January.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I hear there might be an obstacle course side event in Athens -_^

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
ivysaur cancel?
Due to the moving platforms on Libra & Equity, PT can Zero Switch (Zero Lag Pokemon Change) there.

But on Libra instead of falling off the platform with 2 mid-air jumps (Squirtle and Ivysaur) or no mid-air jumps, (Charizard) they simply auto-grab the ledge; giving them invincibility frames out of Pokemon Change.

I guess it's called Ivysaur canceling because most PT mains like to skip Ivysaur completely. <___<

Though I could be wrong about all of that...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Points updated in the thread!

I'm also pleased to announce two things:

1. Equity was the most commonly played stage at the Lexington Circuit event. That's pretty epic. Lexington's stage list had a more conservative feel, but Distant Planet was still on and I didn't see that played once... yet Equity was CPed and used as a starter multiple times. Interesting stuff!

2. A CONTEST!

Overswarm's PROVE IT contest!

Here is the MWC: East stage list:

Stage List said:
Starters: Starters decided via "stage strike". They are all in the tournament by default, minimum of 5, both customs on at every tournament until otherwise noted. All stages can be used as counterpicks.

Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Battlefield
Pokémon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise
Equity
Libra

Group A: These stages are in every tournament by default
Final Destination
Castle Siege
Halberd
Delfino
Pokémon Stadium 2
Pictochat
Abyss

Group B: Minimum of 3 stages from this list Maximum of 5 stages
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pirate Ship
Rainbow Cruise

Group C: Minimum of 2 stages from this list, max of 4
Distant Planet
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Onett
The contest is for you to pick any ONE stage from group C and make a video showing how it is broken. You must have one (maximum of three) videos of actual gameplay footage to accompany this.

If there are at least 5 separate people entering the contest, there will be a guaranteed prize of free singles and doubles entry as well as venue fee for the circuit event of your choice to the creator of the best video. You don't have to convince me to ban the stage to win the prize.

If you DO convince me, you will win the prize AND I will remove the stage from the circuit. In addition, if I am convinced by more than one person, they all win the prize. Additionally, one person can win this prize MULTIPLE TIMES for different stages.

You do not have to be a resident of the midwest to enter into this contest. You are able to give your prize to another smasher if you want (So someone in New Jersey could win the contest and give their prize to someone in Ohio).

This contest will go on until February 1st.

To recap:

-make a video showing why you think a stage should be banned and upload it to YouTube and post it in the contest thread (Take it serious)
-The video must be posted with one to three gameplay videos (Real games only; the games should be played at a competitive level and anything that happens due to player stupidity will be ignored, so don't make a video about how GGreens should be banned and stand on the blocks and die from a bomb)
- If there are more than 5 separate people entering the contest, there is a guaranteed prize of free singles and doubles entry as well as venue fee for the winning video
-If you convince me, the stage will be removed from the circuit and you win the prize
-If multiple people convince me, they all win the prize. If one person convinces me with multiple stages, they win the prize once for each stage.
-You do not have to be a resisident of the Midwest to enter
-If you win a prize, you can give it to another player if you so desire
-The contest ends on Feb. 1st, so all videos must be uploaded by this time (I will check YouTube upload dates)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Next event in February!

Hopefully the snow doesn't do too much damage to the tourney scene over the next few months. :)

Just to recap:

rules said:
If an event receives less than 32 people, points for that event are cut in half. This is to not reward players too greatly for attending a small-turnout tournament due to inclement weather while not putting those that couldn't make the trip far behind in points.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
27th is tournament day for both February and March!

Still plenty of opportunities for circuit points over the next few months, so get 'em while you can! There's cash on the line.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Points have been updated!

Current Singles points:

Code:
Overswarm	86
Kel	56
M2K	40
Blue Rogue	34
Judge	30
Nope	28
Hilt	25
Lain	20
Xisin	19
Sai	16
Pierce	15
Fonz	14
Cr4sh	11
AlphaZealot	10
Infern	10
POPS	10
T-800	10
Wakka	9
Champ	8
Smash64	8
Gioro	8
Suyon	8
ArgentStew	7
Sliq	6
Y.b.M.	6
Mister Eric	6
Louis	6
Solier 2	6
Judo	6
Keroro	6
Sil	5
King Yoshi	5
Renegade	4
Airborne	4
Lyric	4
Doctor X	4
Tactical	4
Framerate	4
Jokey	4
Today	3
Lou	2
Mr.E	2
Rofa	2
Quivo	2
Capem	2
Chris	2
Excel	2
Shadow Phoenix	2
Kajoq	2
Metaflair	2
Ttar	2
Smile	2
FailProofFrank	2
Sole	2
LoZ	2
Hunky	2
King Beef	1
Sneaky Tako	1
Notra	1
Joshkip	1
Cirno	1
Rendonte	1
Elijah	1
Isaac	1
Scott	1
Mayling	1
Nova	1
SoulPech	1
Jiffy	1
Sugartastic	1
Fatty	1
McFly	1
TheKiest	1
Virt	1
Current Doubles points:

Code:
OS Kel	110
M2K Pierce	40
Nope Fonz	30
T-800 POPS	30
AZ Judge	20
Xisin Judo	20
Hilt Cr4sh	20
Jiffy Argent	20
Nope Capem	15
Kero Zeni	15
Smash64 King	15
Lou Y.b.M.	10
Quivo Fonz	10
Mister Eric Metaflair	10
Blue Rogue Suyon	10
Lain NOJ	8
Wakka Sil	8
Airborne S2	8
Excel Tactical	8
TheKiest Framerate	8
Composer LoZ	8
Rofa Renegade	6
Frame Tyr	6
Blue Rogue Argent	6
Infern Smash64	6
Bobbu Mayling	6
Isaac Elijah	6
Sugartastic FailProofFrank	6
Jokey Kregs	6
Fatty ;)	6
WTP Sliq	4
Exile Airbourne	4
King Mr. E	4
Xisin King Beef	4
Mr. Eric	2
TGM Steel Samurai	2
Kregs Mr. J	2

Couple of interesting things:

Most Consistent Improvements

Hilt- going from 17th to 8th to 4th, netting him 25 total points and placing him in 7th place on the rankings

Cr4sh - going from 25th to 13th to 9th, netting him 11 total points and placing him in 13th place

Number of total entrants

75 unique entrants so far for this circuit, and this is only counting players making the bracket. Those only in pools have not gotten any points; this is huge, considering GKais first event had 60 entrants and all circuit events have had more than 32 entrants!

The M2K Factor

Should mew2king come to every event, we'd know he'd win them all. He's gotten first at one event and hasn't attended the rest, netting him 40 points; this places him just sliiiiightly ahead of Blue Rogue and 16 points behind Kel, meaning he's in 3rd place. If M2K doesn't show up to any more Blue Rogue will pass him up and get some of that singles money if these trends continue!

Custom Stages?!

Custom stages have been consistently used in both bracket and pools by the same players, but something of note: Custom stages are used more often higher in the bracket! This is a big sign that people that are willing to experiment, learn stages, and play with an unorthodox flair are more likely to succeed!

Non-attendants

Circuits reward attendance. I have attended all 3 and won 2, getting 9th at another, netting me 86 points out of a possible 120. There are more events at hand (the next is on March 27th in Lexington!), but what could placements be if players did well at the next two events?

One of the midwest's newest star players is Blue Rogue the Wario main. He's been placing consistently in the top 3 recently and has taken a set off just about everyone and has even beaten big players like Judge! in tournament!

Blue Rogue: 34 total points placing him in 4th place with one 13th placing and one 2nd placing and one not attended tournament. With his highest placing of 2nd place, in two more events of that he could get 60 points, bringing him up to 94 points total.

To get 1st: I would have to get less than 8 points (that's one 7th placement or two 13th placements)

To get 2nd: Kel would have to get less than 38 points (that's one 1st placement, one second and one 7th placement, or two 3rd placements)

If M2K continues his string of not attending and Blue Rogue does attend, he'll be able to grab the third place spot easily and take some of the prize money for himself!

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Are other people allowed to even post in this? o_O.

Good job Hilt and Crash, keep on jumping up in the ranks.

For Gioro - 8, i'm gonna assume thats supposed to be Giroro, but it doesn't really matter since i don't go by that nickname anymore. I'm gonna try to rack up those points from Captain Planet :D, so looook out :).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Hmmmm, the MWC-E needs more NEOH tournies....

*ponders*
Haha, maybe next time.

When I run the circuit, I try to find "hubs'; places that can consistently hold tournaments with just locals. Then I try to get a few groups to travel.

This time I wanted to focus on growing the Athens area and the Lexington area by putting emphasis on them. They've both got healthy local scenes and a few good smashers that can do some amazing things, and now people know it!

We had NEOH before, but the 4.5 hour trip was a killer for most of our travelling players.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm still waiting to hear back from Count! Due to MLG showing up and all these nationals, I might just try to hold the finals in May, potentially even April if I'm having trouble finding open dates for tournaments. Stuff fillin' up faaaaaaast.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Updated points!

There will be either one or two events left... this is yet to be determined. The high number of nationals and the sudden arrival of MLG tournaments is a big deal, and I don't want to push the circuit on into June with all of this stuff going on. This is dependent on how many TOs I can find, but the circuit will be ending in April or May.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
whats up with finishing this?
Mostly a two-month gap created by MLG + other big tournaments and lack of local TOs. Since then real life has caught up and all that jazz; I'm not sure if I want to finish it or just hand out the money at some time, but I haven't had time for a tournament in a bit and a lot of others seem to have fallen off the map as well

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
So is this going to happen? If not, I'll probably end up unstickying this thread soon. But I would definitely like to see the final event happen. If you'd like someone else to host the final event, that would work as well, if you're too busy.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I don't think a final event would make much sense. I have the money sitting in an envelope, I haven't done the calculations to see who gets what and whatever. Most of it goes to me and Kel anyway XD

Next tournament I'm at where I see you guys I'll bring it. Or give it to Kel. whatever.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Sounds good. Giving it to Kel to transfer it would probably be the best option. Sorry to see it die, but I guess things happen. Unstickying.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Singles Circuit Payout

1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
5th: 4%

Teams Circuit Payout
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 15%

Overswarm 116
Kel 76
Blue Rogue 74
M2K 40
Hilt 33

OS Kel 110 140
M2K Pierce 40 40
Blue Rogue Y.b.M. 40

Currently, no. M2K is long gone but I'll see him at MLG events, ditto to Pierce.

Top Bottom