• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mindgames dont exist: The Truth

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
It's surely easy to make up a definition of "mindgames" such that it exists, but the truth remains that 99% of the time "mindgames" is used, it's used wrong or gratuitously.

And I love all the psuedo analysts that can see the "mindgames" or lack off, by watching a couple of videos. Also it seems others use these "mindgames" as a blanket of comfort against their lack of technical(another annoying word) ability.
Amen. The truest thing said this topic.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
They are nothing but lies and fables made up by the Man to oppress the people. But seriously Im sick of hearing it every other sentence, the usage of the word is overly saturated and doesnt even mean anything. In other sports or competive events they have intangibles in smash everything is mindgames this mindgames that.

And I love all the psuedo analysts that can see the "mindgames" or lack off, by watching a couple of videos. Also it seems others use these "mindgames" as a blanket of comfort against their lack of technical(another annoying word) ability.

In short I think anytime the word mindgame(s) is used it should be substitued with some other dummy word(like the gay wii thing). This will not solve anything as the context will still be the same but it would be somewhat amusing.

In closing as the late rick james, parodied by chappelle, would say **** YO' MINDGAMES!!

You're an idiot. Mindgames are tactics used by a player to trick an opponent into doing something you want him or her to do. You can see mind games by watching videos, and you can see a player who doesn't use them in videos. Maybe once you figure out that some fancy footwork can make your opponent make a fatal mistake, you'll change your tone.

mog87

Smash Ace
Tennis has what we call "High Percentage Tennis" the player that plays the better high percentage tennis on average usually wins. Working angles and using the court and hitting proper shots and forcing your opponent to make tougher shots to win the point is what wins in tennis. That and a great serve. Federer doesnt mindgame anyone..he just has superb shot selection, great serve, good physical conditioning, and obvious understanding of the games mechanics.

You're an idiot. Mindgames are tactics used by a player to trick an opponent into doing something you want him or her to do. You can see mind games by watching videos, and you can see a player who doesn't use them in videos. Maybe once you figure out that some fancy footwork can make your opponent make a fatal mistake, you'll change your tone.
Lol Expert, I guess you mindgame'd me into responding to your silly post, Prove your point show me some mindgames and show me a player who doesnt use mindgames. I dare you. And nice resorting to name calling, junior.Prove your points with sound reasoning or is that too much to ask of a 12 yr old? So yea you go get me some examples and point out these "mindgames" with your oh so keen insight.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I think an important part of mindgames is figuring what your opponent is going to do. I've gotten a lot of my friends to play slightly more defensive and watch their recoveries because I'm pretty good at guessing what they are going to do, like where a Pikachu is going to land w/ his upB.

Also one of the major tricks that I've seen involves Mewtwo and Zelda. I was watching a vid of Kawn (Zelda) vs Hella (Peach), and on multiple occasions Kawn would teleport straight down. I consider this a good mindgame because Zelda disappears for a bit and Peach does not know exactly where she is going, and landing in the same spot is a good trick on the opponent. Same w/ Mewtwo, who can alter how far he upB's by DI'ing into the ground a bit. Neither of those tricks are for dealing damage, but instead for keeping opponents on their toes.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
if you consciously think, you're slow, consciously your brain isn't fast enough. Subconsciously you can, thats where experience and habits come into play. As for the rest of your post, that comes down to habits as well, good habits that is.

Luck does exist, not saying one should believe in superstition but some people are just more lucky then others. and I do think luck makes a huge impact on 'mindgames'
thinking consciously doesnt mean you talk to yourself through the whole match and start going all strategic about every single move you do. thinking consciously simply means being aware of when you are being punished. no habits are flawless since there is an extremely vast amount of possible situations.

thinking subconsciously alone is JUST STUPID.

best example. DRIVING.. unless your not old enough to drive then i have nothing to say to you.
WHEN YOU DRIVE. you need to use both subconscious habits and be well conscious and aware, with full alertness. You can talk on the phone while driving and probably still survive couple of blocks down the road. but if you do that your entire drive, you will probably end up killing someone.

therefore, if you play with alertness, you are exercising mindgame
if you play with any level of conscious thinking, you are exercising mindgame.

subconscious habits and experiences play a critical roll in having success, but being repetitive is just showing how stupid you are.

Saying luck exist is just stupid. saying that some people are just more luckier than others is even more stupid.

luck, as i said, is a force that causes events to occur in spite of its improbability. it is a FORCE. it is not a blanket that describes the minority of people that had their ideal event occur out of low chance.

chance is a probability
fortune is what describes those that had their ideal option occur amongst their chances
luck is a force that ignores the existance of chance.

Brookman

Smash Hero
There is a difference between thinking subconciously and Auto-pilot mode.

"Saying luck exist is just stupid." lol

*pulls 25 bob-ombs vs you*

Aesir

Smash Master
thinking consciously doesnt mean you talk to yourself through the whole match and start going all strategic about every single move you do. thinking consciously simply means being aware of when you are being punished. no habits are flawless since there is an extremely vast amount of possible situations.
You're delving into subconsious thinking. theres a difference.

thinking subconsciously alone is JUST STUPID.
No.
best example. DRIVING.. unless your not old enough to drive then i have nothing to say to you.
whenever I drive, its more subconcious then anything, cause if I think I get nervious and tend to crash into things. when I just relax and rely on impulses, oh noez I do better. Something I noticed with smash. I use to conciously try and think my way through matches trying to out wit them. needless to say it didn't work, I started to stop thinking and just rely on my best judgment. I'm alot better now because of just 'turning my brain off'

I'll give you an example, lets say I dash at my friend whos using sheik, I dash at him alallalala, he forward tilts me. I get hit lala and get faired yay I died.

now I dash at him again, he foward tilts but because he was stupid and thought it was going to work twice I sheilded, before it hit me now hes been shield grabbed. Those arn't mindgames thats me playing smart and him being stupid.
Like pc told me
PC: be smart =) dont think

WHEN YOU DRIVE. you need to use both subconscious habits and be well conscious and aware, with full alertness. You can talk on the phone while driving and probably still survive couple of blocks down the road. but if you do that your entire drive, you will probably end up killing someone.
Talking on the phone while driving is illegal, unless you have a hands free device. Also that doesn't really work since, your more focused on the call then on the road.

therefore, if you play with alertness, you are exercising mindgame
if you play with any level of conscious thinking, you are exercising mindgame.
and sucking too. ya know the whole, mind being slower. your impulses are faster then your conscious brain.

subconscious habits and experiences play a critical roll in having success, but being repetitive is just showing how stupid you are.
Thats why good players have good habits that aren't repetitive

Saying luck exist is just stupid. saying that some people are just more luckier than others is even more stupid.
Prove that luck doesn't exist.

luck, as i said, is a force that causes events to occur in spite of its improbability. it is a FORCE. it is not a blanket that describes the minority of people that had their ideal event occur out of low chance.
Luck is an occurance that happens which is beyond a persons control.

chance is a probability
fortune is what describes those that had their ideal option occur amongst their chances
luck is a force that ignores the existance of chance.
Read above, luck isn't some type of force.

the odds of me walking out of my house and getting hit by a bus are very low.
however if it happens, how is that not luck? by your definition its ignoring chance and giving an improbably outcome.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Those arn't mindgames thats me playing smart and him being stupid.
mind games son!

I actually think that G-reg's post won this topic, I missed it by some freak occurance when I opened the topic. It was perfect.

Cort

Apple Head
Airo, you're from Canada and you play Mewtwo LOL okay just like to get that clear.

Anyway, I don't think you really comprehend anything that's actually going on in this topic. Perhaps you should exercise your mind in the gaming area some more.

I already won this topic. I don't know why people bother posting anymore.

Aesir

Smash Master
Edit: I don't wanna spam.

I seriously think some people in this thread should go to tournys more often, and such. it'll help in the long run when arguments like this arise.

Yaiba Odoriko

Smash Rookie
This may not be true...but I don't think mindgames are truly mindgames. I think "mindgames" is just a term that describes what someone does to force someone into what I like to call "twitchy fingers." When someone's playing a "mindgame on you," you KNOW it. If your fingers twitch into doing the wrong move, you immediately know you screwed up. Sure, if used a lot it will make you second guess yourself, but that's not a mindgame, that's a lack of confidence. Mindgames are aggressive psychology.

Airo

Smash Lord
Prove that luck doesn't exist.

Luck is an occurance that happens which is beyond a persons control.
Read above, luck isn't some type of force.

the odds of me walking out of my house and getting hit by a bus are very low.
however if it happens, how is that not luck? by your definition its ignoring chance and giving an improbably outcome.
i have my own understanding on luck and came up with the definition on my own.
but your response made me want to check the dictionary.

and here it is.
–noun
1. the force that seems to operate for good or ill in a person's life, as in shaping circumstances, events, or opportunities: With my luck I'll probably get pneumonia.

and if you think that mysterious forces called luck exist in the world. then fine, think the way you want.

I'll give you an example, lets say I dash at my friend whos using sheik, I dash at him alallalala, he forward tilts me. I get hit lala and get faired yay I died.

now I dash at him again, he foward tilts but because he was stupid and thought it was going to work twice I sheilded, before it hit me now hes been shield grabbed. Those arn't mindgames thats me playing smart and him being stupid.
Like pc told me
PC: be smart =) dont think
you can say "im so use to predicting my opponent that i dont need to think to do it."
but going back to the common definition of mindgame. trickery
if you tricked him, you have mindgame. if you are incapable of trickery, you dont have mindgame.

and look... some people, like your shiek friend really dont know trickery and always falls into simple tricks nonstop (mindgames). and so there is nothing wrong with saying to him/her "you need better mindgame"

Something I noticed with smash. I use to conciously try and think my way through matches trying to out wit them. needless to say it didn't work, I started to stop thinking and just rely on my best judgment. I'm alot better now because of just 'turning my brain off'

your example really just sounds like the difference between stress and no stress.

if concentrating makes you do worst. i guess i should stop concentrating in class and subconsiously process my lectures.

on the side:
either you are totally imagining the word "conscious" to its extremes or you are just trying to say that playing with awareness is not playing smart. which doesnt really make sense.
all i am saying when i am using the word 'conscious", is saying that you are capable of observing and changing. there is always a mixture of conscious and subconscious mental processes, you cant just "turn your brain off"

Cort said:
Airo, you're from Canada and you play Mewtwo LOL okay just like to get that clear
the mewtwo part doesnt really matter to me. but "you're from Canada" is just waaaay too offensive.

Peaches

Smash Lord
The topic creator knows mindgames are real but he is just merely saying he is tired of hearing so many people throwing out the word without knowing what it means. In other fighting games "mindgames" is merely playing smart, but in the smash community it becomes this huge complicated subject that I see many don't really understand.
Yeah, because obviously all those other fighting games don't really have mindgames:psycho:

Smash players are funny. Ever heard of a throw? Yeah, almost every fighting game out there has one in it; some are better some are worse. The existance of a throw makes for mindgames.

Why? Because, you can't block it. So if you're mixing up throws into your attack patterns then it's harder for them to defend? Woah!!!!

Conclusion: Other fighting games have just as many mindgames as smash will have. High level ANYTHING has mindgames.

mog112

Smash Ace
all mind games are is just analyzation of what opponents do and consists of two forms.

one being what opponents generally do. Ex throw them near and edge they tech towards middle of stage

2nd just analyzing what your opponent does from playing with in the match. Ex he dodges every time he comes back on stage, so instead of normally smashing you wait for the dodge.

everything in the game for the most part consists of those two things. The first comes from
experience and the 2nd how smart you are.

if you are good at analyzing you can be very good.

Cort

Apple Head
You only think it's offensive cause I mindgames'd you into thinking it was offensive. I never actually said my opinion of Canada or Mewtwo players in general. They're both funny, though.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Airo, I am pretty sure you and Aiser agree on the concious/subconcious part of playing. You two are just limited in your understanding and can't properly articulate your ideas to each other, which is creating senseless arguments.

and your relating smash to college/driving is ... >_>

You only think it's offensive cause I mindgames'd you into thinking it was offensive. I never actually said my opinion of Canada or Mewtwo players in general. They're both funny, though.
LOL MIDNGAMZ HIFEYEV

Respawn

Smash Journeyman
In the shadows. Or NE Ohio. Whichever sounds bette
Luck is a belief, for one. Believe in whatever you want. You can't really prove it, you can't really disprove it. So stop arguing about it.

It seems the majority of the people in this thread (now) believe in the existence of mindgames.
And another point raised in this topic: Using the word wrong.
If you think they are using the word wrong, correct them. If they don't listen, then forget them. Don't bust an artery over something so stupid. Just be content in the fact that you're right and they're wrong, and one day they'll figure it out and realize how much of a n00b they were.

ZOMG! MINDGAMES! lolzorz! Cort gotz da mindgames, roflol.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :laugh:, I was just waiting for the right opportunity. I don't care if Brookman beat me to it, I still needed to do it.

FeArTeHsMaSh

Smash Cadet
ok... i finally read all the post from post 1- 89
im ready to post

------------------------------

mindgames does not equal experience

experience = knowing what options works and when it works.
mindgame = knowing what options works in a given situation and choosing between the options.

pure experience and no mindgame = robot that does the same thing over and over again and gets predicted and gets punished.

simple as that.

------------------------------

experience has no conscious thinking involved. you just do what you find usually works in the situation.

mindgame has lots of conscious thinking. when what you usually do (whether defensive or offensive) doesnt work anymore, you consciously change it. that is mindgame.

---------------------------------

experience is not a fixed constant. It changes. The force that changes it is mindgame.

---------------------------------

according to proofing above, if a person lacks mindgames, he ALSO therefore MUST lack experience, since experience is what provides the options for mindgaming.

so in conclusion. Its pretty hard to misuse the word mindgame.

"You need better mindgame" = ''You need better experience so you can start mindgaming''
Your definition confuses me, and I believe it to be flawed.

The flaw in your argument is when you assert that experience has no conscious thinking involved. I ask you, by what means can you determine experience to have such a definition. Is experience not the "active partipation in events or activities, leading to the accumulation of knowledge of skill" (from dictionary)?

I think that if one looks at it logically, experience can only be attained through conscious thinking. Experience leads a player to acknowledge the fact that he must consciously participate in his specific match-up if he is to even be aware of what is going on and adapt to sudden changes. If anything, mind games is merely how he chooses to adapts, and even that is faulty, for it is not mindgames, but merely a change in strategy.

Your attempting to divide experience and mindgames into two words, but in reality they are the same thing, especially in the way you described, (and the way you ended your post). Experience does not lead one into becoming a mindless robot that repeats the same moves, but experience promotes the active learning and adapting in every successive game, the definition that you falsely identified as "mindgames". See if your definition of mindgames applies into other context; "My math procedure isn't working on this particular problem based on what I have learned {what you call experience}, so let me adapt and try another method . . . wow it works {what you define as mindgames}." Does the term mindgames generally apply to the solving of a problem? No. The term mindgames cannot apply in that aspect.

Also, your definitions of experience and mindgames are not really different at all, which makes your definitions more general, and hence, more confusing. You basically assert that mindgames is experience with different wording. What is the differerence between knowing "what options work and when it works" and knowing "what options work in a given situation and choosing between the options" that you know work? The phrase "in a given situation" is redundant because it can be used in both definitions, hence, you can have for your definition of experience, "knowing what options work in a given situation and when it works," but the phrase "when it works" already assumes that it will work in that given situation. Also, "choosing between the options" that you defined to already work is also redundant, and therefore, your definition of mindgames reduces to nothing more than having enough experience to choose between more than one option, which is essentially just experience.

But lets attempt to apply this term mindgames to Smash. Attending to the video in which PC faces M2K, at around 2:40 (can't remember the exact number), PC dances, forcing M2K to grab and proceeds to take advantage. If anything, THAT is your mindgame. But by your definition? Did he choose an option that he knew would work, or did he just spontaneously attempt to trick his opponent? Can you honestly assume that if he relied only on experience that he would not have thought about that move, or did he rely upon experience to consciously attempt to adapt to the defensive stance that M2K had taken (having realized that his strategy/style of play wouldn't work, as he mentioned in a previous post)? In fact, isn't that merely using strategy to trick a defensive opponent, strategy which relies on experience?

However, the above paragraph is fairly redundant on my part. You cannot really assume the above to be mindgames (by your definition) after the previous paragraph asserted your definition of mindgames is a rewording of the definition of experience, which by your definition requires no conscious thought while I am arguing that it relies on conscious thought. I think in most cases, other terms can be used in place of "mindgames", especially more specific terms, but if mindgames is going to be used so sporadically, it at least deserves a well defined definition that doesn't confuse it for a term that already exist (and that should be used in many of these instances of mindgames).

Respawn

Smash Journeyman
In the shadows. Or NE Ohio. Whichever sounds bette
You know, there is this wonderful thread by AlphaZealot, that contains the definitions of several terms that are used by the Smash Community.

In fact, it just so happens that it contains a definition for Mindgames, and the less used synonym for the word, Metagame.

AlphaZealot said:
Metagame: The metagame refers to a number of different things. First, there can be a player versus player metagame, which two players who may have a significant skill gap overall happen to have close matches due to repetition of play (experience) and knowledge of the other person’s tactics. The second is the overall level a person plays at, usually referred to in a generality, like the high level metagame. Lastly the metagame, as a definition, is how a person thinks during a match, similar to the term mind games.

Mind Games: One of the most misunderstood terms within the community. Mind games are first were used to describe a single trick used against an opponent, but have since come to describe how a player thinks during an entire match. The only real difference between the top level players in the country are their mind games, in other words, the level at which they think and predict their opponents. Mind games are essentially a synonym for the less used term metagaming.
What do you know...

I guess things are stickied for a reason. :psycho:

Brookman

Smash Hero
We've learned the weaknesses to all the higher ranking player which means we don't even need mind games anymore.

PC Chris: Jiggly Puff

KDJ: Donkey Kong

M2K: Falco

Isai: High FIVE! or plug ssb 64 into the tv next to the one you are playing on.

Ken: KDJ

Airo

Smash Lord
Your definition confuses me, and I believe it to be flawed.

The flaw in your argument is when you assert that experience has no conscious thinking involved. I ask you, by what means can you determine experience to have such a definition. Is experience not the "active partipation in events or activities, leading to the accumulation of knowledge of skill" (from dictionary)?

I think that if one looks at it logically, experience can only be attained through conscious thinking. Experience leads a player to acknowledge the fact that he must consciously participate in his specific match-up if he is to even be aware of what is going on and adapt to sudden changes. If anything, mind games is merely how he chooses to adapts, and even that is faulty, for it is not mindgames, but merely a change in strategy.

Your attempting to divide experience and mindgames into two words, but in reality they are the same thing, especially in the way you described, (and the way you ended your post). Experience does not lead one into becoming a mindless robot that repeats the same moves, but experience promotes the active learning and adapting in every successive game, the definition that you falsely identified as "mindgames". See if your definition of mindgames applies into other context; "My math procedure isn't working on this particular problem based on what I have learned {what you call experience}, so let me adapt and try another method . . . wow it works {what you define as mindgames}." Does the term mindgames generally apply to the solving of a problem? No. The term mindgames cannot apply in that aspect.

Also, your definitions of experience and mindgames are not really different at all, which makes your definitions more general, and hence, more confusing. You basically assert that mindgames is experience with different wording. What is the differerence between knowing "what options work and when it works" and knowing "what options work in a given situation and choosing between the options" that you know work? The phrase "in a given situation" is redundant because it can be used in both definitions, hence, you can have for your definition of experience, "knowing what options work in a given situation and when it works," but the phrase "when it works" already assumes that it will work in that given situation. Also, "choosing between the options" that you defined to already work is also redundant, and therefore, your definition of mindgames reduces to nothing more than having enough experience to choose between more than one option, which is essentially just experience.

But lets attempt to apply this term mindgames to Smash. Attending to the video in which PC faces M2K, at around 2:40 (can't remember the exact number), PC dances, forcing M2K to grab and proceeds to take advantage. If anything, THAT is your mindgame. But by your definition? Did he choose an option that he knew would work, or did he just spontaneously attempt to trick his opponent? Can you honestly assume that if he relied only on experience that he would not have thought about that move, or did he rely upon experience to consciously attempt to adapt to the defensive stance that M2K had taken (having realized that his strategy/style of play wouldn't work, as he mentioned in a previous post)? In fact, isn't that merely using strategy to trick a defensive opponent, strategy which relies on experience?

However, the above paragraph is fairly redundant on my part. You cannot really assume the above to be mindgames (by your definition) after the previous paragraph asserted your definition of mindgames is a rewording of the definition of experience, which by your definition requires no conscious thought while I am arguing that it relies on conscious thought. I think in most cases, other terms can be used in place of "mindgames", especially more specific terms, but if mindgames is going to be used so sporadically, it at least deserves a well defined definition that doesn't confuse it for a term that already exist (and that should be used in many of these instances of mindgames).
you are reading my post wrong. im too tired to respond to your long response though. but maybe if you read the next couple of posts prior to the one you quoted from, you will have a better idea of what im trying to say.

1o11oo1o11

Smash Apprentice
Fighting games and Karate are similar in many ways, one is the mindgames (techniques are too lol (if you do a technique wrong you could hurt yourself)). And it doesn't have to be a trick on the other person, it can also be anticipation.

Face it, everybody anticipates moves. EX: you all know when a fox is gonna get back with Up+B, so you just charge your own fox's Down Smash to finish him.

JFox

Smash Hero
wow Mog I effin love this thread and you for making it.

the problem with the word mindgames is that it tries to encompass so many things, that it becomes ambiguous. think about it, mindgame means being clever, doing the unexpected, reading others strategies, diversity in your move set, general experience, certain tricks such as dash dancing, moonwalking, grapple cancelling using samus' bomb, etc. etc. People should stop over using the word mindgame, because its really broad and barely holds any meaning.

Honestly, when someone reads your attack and counters, they should just call it a good read. And when someone diversifies there play strategy, they should just call it that. And when someone does some clever trick like SH'ing at someone, WD back to forward smash, just call it a good trick, or even think of a name for that SPECIFIC trick. Because a category of unrelated things becomes meaningless.

So it can be argued that all of the things I've listed above are mindgames...so what does that mean to us though? There are so many supposed mindgames, it doesn't it have meaning. Mindgames don't exist, only specific tricks, strategies, reads or whatever are what is real. This stupid group you lump it into doesn't translate to more than anything but a word that everyone is tired of hearing.

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
the problem with the word mindgames is that it tries to encompass so many things, that it becomes ambiguous.
QFT -- and "metagaming" or any other blanket term you want to use doesn't cut it either.

"Mindgames" is really just a nebulous word for intelligent in-game play. Tricking your opponent, predicting, being unpredictable, picking moves to counter your opponent's moves -- all that. And that's all well and good when the word "mindgame" is used as a substitute for "intelligent in-game playing" - it's quicker and less clunky.

But the irony is that here we are discussing a game (often in depth) and using a word pertaining to intelligent play that actually hinders the development of intelligent play. 95% of the time that someone says "mindgames," they're using the word as a crutch so they don't have to analyze what's actually going on and explain it.

Example:
Q: Why'd ___ lose to ____?
A: ___'s mindgames were better.

Congraduf***inglations. What does that accomplish? Nothing -- it just makes the answerer look like he knows what he's talking about without having to do the work of explaining the match, breaking down the match, providing information that someone might find helpful.

Q: Why'd PC land a grab at 2:26?
A1: mindgames
A2: A successful dashdance opened up by shl, executed with excellent spacing (close enough to give M2k very little reaction time, far enough to be safe while doing it) and exemplary patience on PCs part.

Which answer has the potential to help someone trying to understand the game better?
There are better examples still -- why'd PC land a grab at 2:11? A little harder to explain -- was it the wd back that fooled m2k, or did he think pc was following him up in the air with a full jump, dair hoping to outprioritize, and get crossed up by the short hop? Either way, answering 'mindgames' certainly doesn't do a good job of explaining.

People don't always talk about tech skill in abstract terms. They refer to specific techniques by name. There's no reason to be lazier and use "mindgames" EVERY D@MN TIME you talk about playing smart. Spell out what your saying instead and discussion of "mindgames" won't be so freakin pointless.

MikeMan445

Smash Journeyman
All of the posts by Cort, Brookman, Jay and cowboyardee were spot on.

Those of you who replied "OLOL MINDGAMES EXIST, U NOOB" need to graduate high school first, then come back and think about the OP. Then, and only then, post.

Joner

Smash Cadet
lol. I don't know of any mindgames in chess, at least not ones that really make a difference :)
That's... That's.... CHESS IS ONE BIG ****IN' MINDGAME!
EDIT
I know it's old, but I just had to, my brain almost died reading what I quoted...

Airo

Smash Lord
This thread is starting to get SOOOOO repetitive.
I hope posters at this point have done a good amount of reading before they post.

Mindgame as a term too broad has been discussed

so what if its broad.
as long as it isnt misused it doesnt matter.
and you cant use "broadness" as a reason to say mindgame doesnt exist =.=''
you know... "food" also doesnt exist, cause you cant find something named "food"

food is also a very broad word. are you gunna stop using it?
its just a category. categories arnt meant to be pinpoint specific.

If someone needs something to eat, you tell them. "go get some food"
If someone needs more intellectual game play, tell them "learn better mindgame"

it doesnt matter if its broad. its still a good word to use to identify what factors of gameplay they are missing.

MikeMan445

Smash Journeyman
it doesnt matter if its broad. its still a good word to use to identify what factors of gameplay they are missing.
That's idiotic. It doesn't tell the person anything. It's like walking up to someone who just lost and saying "Next time win instead."

You talk about reading the thread? How about reading the post made by cowboyardee right up there?

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
X_X

This reminds me of people who say "I hate you... just kidding." Of course they aren't kidding. It's just that they want you to think otherwise.

Also, you laughed.

X_X

mog87

Smash Ace
This thread is starting to get SOOOOO repetitive.

food is also a very broad word. are you gunna stop using it?
its just a category. categories arnt meant to be pinpoint specific.

If someone needs something to eat, you tell them. "go get some food"
If someone needs more intellectual game play, tell them "learn better mindgame"

¿Qué? No comprendé. And your logic creates a connundrum...if it is as you say then this term is so broad how can it be misused?, i.e if it indeed encompasses everything then it is to always to be used. The food analogy does not hold in this case.

Interesting Observation : A-Loan and Paranoid Andriod #19 havent posted again.
Conclusion: ?!?!!!

T-Rex

Smash Apprentice
I can give one good example of a mindgame being pulled;
You are playing a Samus, he is playing a normal Samus, and you are SHLasering him, not expecting anything and then he SWD, you are stunned and therefore thrown off for a second. You just were 'Mindgamed' son.

Now I'm not going around saying every SWD is a Mindgame, but the unpredictability of something of the sort, can throw off the gameplay. As the post about the Bombsoldier and Jing Match, that was indeed a Mindgame, by digressing from the norm, therefore tricking the opponent, results in being 'Mindgamed' son.

Brookman

Smash Hero
you can't give an example of a 'mind game' cause they only exist within a single match. Nothing is set in stone outside of a match. There are no definite mind games because "Mindgamz"
are a direct result of an action your do and the response that your opponent has to said action. You may run at someone and wave dash backward resulting in your opponent missing a forward smash or something OR your opponent may predict your wavedash back and run forward and grab you. MIDGRAVES!

T-Rex

Smash Apprentice
you can't give an example of a 'mind game' cause they only exist within a single match.!
Yes you can. Predicting your opponent and manipulating it to your advantage throws them off and makes them think differently, whether it is once during a match, or simply how you play a character may throw them off, which results in a 'Mindgame' being performed.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
the term "mindgames" can be divied up into three categories...

SIMPLE: "i outsmarted your dumb a$$ by ______"

INTERMEDIATE: "i made you think i was gona do this when really i fooled you into doing that and now youre left open so i can pwnzor you by _____"

COMPLEX: "i made you think that you thought you knew what i was gona do but really i knew that i made you think that you thought that you knew what i was gona do so now youre open and i can attack your sorry self with _____"

in conclusion, i believe that "mindgames" is just another word for "PLAYING Super Smash Bros Melee.". mindgames are a side effect of getting GOOD at the game.

mog i hope to catch u saturday...

Xeorogue

Smash Ace
the term "mindgames" can be divied up into three categories...

SIMPLE: "i outsmarted your dumb a$$ by ______"

INTERMEDIATE: "i made you think i was gona do this when really i fooled you into doing that and now youre left open so i can pwnzor you by _____"

COMPLEX: "i made you think that you thought you knew what i was gona do but really i knew that i made you think that you thought that you knew what i was gona do so now youre open and i can attack your sorry self with _____"

in conclusion, i believe that "mindgames" is just another word for "PLAYING Super Smash Bros Melee.". mindgames are a side effect of getting GOOD at the game.

mog i hope to catch u saturday...
QFT Well said.

Top Bottom