• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mindgames dont exist: The Truth

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
I still wonder how those people who don't think mindgames play smash. They must be predictable to a T.
This is one of the silliest arguments I've ever seen. We are not robots, unable to escape the pattern of shffl', rinse and repeat. We use your little "mindgames." But we can also see that it is a bad term, and that people are wrong half the time they use it, anyways.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
MM go back a few pages, I've said plenty.

P.S. Good ol' ignore list, Brookman I said I wouldn't be responding to anymore of your wise *** cracks, and I meant it. I don't care if I can't see you post crap about me, because I don't really give a dam.

Cort

Apple Head
If you "don't really give a damn" you wouldn't bother posting that you have him on your ignore.

Mindgames.

Or is it.

Aesir

Smash Master
What I really wanna know is, why are people with join dates of like 2006 - 2007 supporting mindgames? if you're join date has any indication on how long you've been playing competitive smash you shouldn't be talking and you should be playing so you can get better so you can argue topics like this with the knowledge you need rather then what you think is true.

flaco

The Terminator
What I really wanna know is, why are people with join dates of like 2006 - 2007 supporting mindgames? if you're join date has any indication on how long you've been playing competitive smash you shouldn't be talking and you should be playing so you can get better so you can argue topics like this with the knowledge you need rather then what you think is true.

oh ownage thats true aiser mindgames does exist but it doesn't have a solid explication for what really is or means.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
What do join dates have to do with intelligence and comprehension?

Brookman

Smash Hero
MM go back a few pages, I've said plenty.

P.S. Good ol' ignore list, Brookman I said I wouldn't be responding to anymore of your wise *** cracks, and I meant it. I don't care if I can't see you post crap about me, because I don't really give a dam.
In other words "Oh no, someone is disagreeing with what I have to say, what should I do, I know, I'll just ignore them....*checks their post*" Instead of discussin ideas let's all just hide behind ignore lists! We can even rename the forum melee ignore lists or melee lack of discussion, or melee no such thing is conflicting ideas.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
So just because someone joined at a very early date that means they automatically have more knowledge then someone who joined a week ago? This makes no sense. Joining a website at a certain time has no bearing on how uch you know about the subject of that website. You may have acquired knowledge about the subject before joining the site, or you may have simply visited the site as a guest, but never joined.

By the same token there are people who have joined in 2001 and haven't been back at smashboards since then.

For example: Flaco and I both joined in 2005. But I don't think anyone is going to say that his knowledge or understanding is comparable to mine. No offense Flaco, but you have a tendacy to state claims and not back it up or use bad examples to support your arguments. And Aesir, your join date was only months ago. But you still seem far more knowledgeable then other posters I have seen that have been here for years.

See what I mean?

Cort

Apple Head
It's only under the assumption that you joined and have been playing competitive smash starting at the same time. A few months worth of tournaments honestly isn't going to provide you with enough experience to grasp what "mindgames" actually are, unless you live near some ridiculously talented smashers or you're a prodigy.

Or just weird.

It makes sense, sort of.

edit// It's ridiculously easy to attempt to sound intelligent, especially in a topic like this. But then again that's what this topic is talking about...

Brookman

Smash Hero
Aiser had to make a new account, he's been playing for a year and a half at least. Though, as much as he knows about the game he doens't know how ot translate it into has marth ****** everyone.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yes, I agree Cort. I'm just saying that to say there is a direct correlation between join date and knowledge of the game is kind of silly, because you have to assume that a person joined at the same time they were first introduced to competitive smash and the advanced tactics/techniques. Although it's true in some instances, its not always correct.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
I don't know what's been going on for 23 pages but I saw Cort posting and I was all: this guy's got to have something good to say.

The good thing about mindgames is that if your opponent doesn't believe in them, who cares?

Or just call it something different. In Virtua Fighter it's called "forced choices." Most other fighting games use a 50 for however many options there are. So 50-50 means you need to guess between two potential options your opponent has, while 50-50-50 means you need to guess between three options, and so on.

I really don't know why I keep popping into the MD randomly.

mario-man

Smash Lord
It's only under the assumption that you joined and have been playing competitive smash starting at the same time. A few months worth of tournaments honestly isn't going to provide you with enough experience to grasp what "mindgames" actually are, unless you live near some ridiculously talented smashers or you're a prodigy.

Or just weird.

It makes sense, sort of.

edit// It's ridiculously easy to attempt to sound intelligent, especially in a topic like this. But then again that's what this topic is talking about...

I just joined and just got the game, although I had played a few times before that. However, for months I have been watching vids of other people, and it was very clear that mind games were a big factor in the outcome of the round. So don't assume that even if someone just got the game, that they don't understand mindgames. Granted, I do not use them yet, because I am too busy trying learn and master the basic and advanced tecniques.

Aesir

Smash Master
For example: Flaco and I both joined in 2005. But I don't think anyone is going to say that his knowledge or understanding is comparable to mine. No offense Flaco, but you have a tendacy to state claims and not back it up or use bad examples to support your arguments. And Aesir, your join date was only months ago. But you still seem far more knowledgeable then other posters I have seen that have been here for years.

See what I mean?
you also have a 3 month head start on flaco lol. also youv'e attended more tournys then flaco without a doubt.

I don't assume oh jan 2007 must be crappy. I usually take a the join date then subtract that by 3-4 months I joined smash boards in dec 2005 I was reading the boards since september 2005 >_> and brookmans right I've been playing for about a year and half, roughly.

I tend to keep an open mind but usually its easy to spot when a new person knows what they're saying and when a new person is speaking out of blind ignorance.

Cort

Apple Head
I just joined and just got the game, although I had played a few times before that. However, for months I have been watching vids of other people, and it was very clear that mind games were a big factor in the outcome of the round. So don't assume that even if someone just got the game, that they don't understand mindgames. Granted, I do not use them yet, because I am too busy trying learn and master the basic and advanced tecniques.
I never said they don't know what mindgames are. I said that they can't grasp them.

Or show that they know what they are in actual matches while they play.

Once again, it's very easy to sound smart!

But it doesn't matter.

Brookman

Smash Hero
He who orders the most chinese goes home happy. He who orders less may sit on the toilet in peace.

Moral of the story? wave-land forward smash. Done.

mario-man

Smash Lord
I never said they don't know what mindgames are. I said that they can't grasp them.

Or show that they know what they are in actual matches while they play.

Once again, it's very easy to sound smart!

But it doesn't matter.
Granted.................You win!

Hooray for you!! (no sarcasm is used)

RapE

Smash Ace
All i hear in this thread is no one understands anything of what there saying and its all crazy!

So i must say that just because you joined doesnt mean you know anything at all. It just means you have realized that you just made an account so unless you have been to over 10+ tournys and with good people that youve played with, cause i joined a little over a year ago but ive practice with most of the good players of the midwest and have chilled with people like vidjogamer for weeks at a time and then went to FC it was just practice, so because your on the boards doesnt make you understand everything exspecially mindgames there the key to smash so everyone stop arguing over something no one knows it seems, other than cort at least.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
I have been playing smash since 64. Bought melee 1-month after release. So my join date on a FORUM has nothing to do with my experience with smash. Just because somebody is new to A forum doesn't mean they're new to EVERYTHING.
[/grr]

And I support Mindgames because they exist. Not in the way that many people are saying, but in the fact that mindgames=playing to mental disadvantages.

[/mindgames=playing to mental disadvantages rant]

Brookman

Smash Hero
" Originally Posted by Cort View Post
It's only under the assumption that you joined and have been playing competitive smash starting at the same time. "

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but the other person that I don't feel like going back a page to find his name stated that "I don't see how people who have juat joined are talking about how mindgames exist" or something to that extent. Then he said that he doesn't mean that everyone's join date is a dirrect correlation to their experience, but instead that he sbtracts a few months to get their experience (usually, I know). But I'm just saying, that made me agitated because I've just been seeing a lot of "noob" hating. I'm not saying that I should be this high and mighty honored person, only that I should be treated with respect. That just seemed kinda ignorant to me ><

Yeah.

Brookman

Smash Hero
While it is a generalization, and generalizations are generally bad (including this one). It does, like most generalizations, have some basis in reality. You can expect someone with a more recent join date to have less knowledge of the game mechanics, and meta-game, and just the game in general than someone who has been here for a year or two. That and A lot of the newer members who were posting in this were making really poor posts. It's not like he intended to offend anyone, just stating his opinion. If you disagree, that's your right, though there is no need to get upset over something so trivial.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
I don't know what's been going on for 23 pages but I saw Cort posting and I was all: this guy's got to have something good to say.

The good thing about mindgames is that if your opponent doesn't believe in them, who cares?

Or just call it something different. In Virtua Fighter it's called "forced choices." Most other fighting games use a 50 for however many options there are. So 50-50 means you need to guess between two potential options your opponent has, while 50-50-50 means you need to guess between three options, and so on.

I really don't know why I keep popping into the MD randomly.
But "forced choices" can only mean one thing, thus it's very clear... whereas people also use "mindgames" to catalogue the "mental" aspect of Smash, and to (incorrectly) explain why flashier, more "technically skilled" players aren't as good as Ken. These things are unrelated to "forced choices" or "guessing games." So when people talk about mindgames, you often don't know which beast they're invoking.

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
While it is a generalization, and generalizations are generally bad (including this one). It does, like most generalizations, have some basis in reality. You can expect someone with a more recent join date to have less knowledge of the game mechanics, and meta-game, and just the game in general than someone who has been here for a year or two. That and A lot of the newer members who were posting in this were making really poor posts. It's not like he intended to offend anyone, just stating his opinion. If you disagree, that's your right, though there is no need to get upset over something so trivial.
This is like the first legitiment and helpfull post ive seen from you.

SLIM

Smash Journeyman
Mind games exist only if you were told about them and their effects.

If you never heard of them, then they don't exist

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why I was so upset over that post...I just felt...I dunnow. I just don't like to be generalized before people even know me. In any situation. I guess. Eh.

And mindgames could be used one of three ways
1) ZoMG!! His mindgames are teh roxorz!!!
2) Did you see the mindgame when the could either attack from the ledge or stay there and come back up?
3)Wow, Ken's mindgames are very advanced. He seems to be able to basically predict the whole match.

Personally, 3 is the one that makes the most sense. 1 is...ugh. The reason mingames are getting a bad rep. And 2 is....eh. Also, look up the dirrect definition of the word. It fits what it (should be) is being used for.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Mind games exist only if you were told about them and their effects.

If you never heard of them, then they don't exist
Like that episode of Looney Toons where Elmer Fudd doesn't know about gravity so nothing happens to him when he walks off a cliff.

in regards to the above post...no comment.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Like that episode of Looney Toons where Elmer Fudd doesn't know about gravity so nothing happens to him when he walks off a cliff.

in regards to the above post...no comment.
Haha, I remember that one...good times.

No comment?...

Oh, and in regerd to the link to the Roy guide....I agree with 99% of the posts on there. Excluding his own of course :).

mark.

Smash Journeyman
ok. there ARE mindgames.

however, oyu are somewhat right. you cant just "use" a mindgame like its a yu-gi-oh card you pull out of your butt that you just use on someone like its a tech.
^ that is what some people think mindgames are >_>
so, that is why people say "how can i get more mindgames? someone tell me mindgames i can use!"-> as if its a yugioh card. sigh..

but there are mindgames, dashdancing is a mindgame in itself, as long as you can use it.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Very intelligent post. I agree with you.

Now let's just leave this thread alone before it really gets out of hand!!!!

(It may be too late for that!!)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
So does this mean I first bought SSBM in December 2006? No it doesn't. You don't have to be a competitive smasher to know or understand mindgames.

Remember, not every has the time or money to make it to those tournaments, a lot of smasher can't make it because they are too young [which means no job or money, which means parents have to deal with it, which is a hassle] the tournament is too far away [even more of a hassle] or people just don't feel like putting up with tournament settings.

Top Bottom