• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mods Lock this thread, making new one.

charizard ssbb

Smash Rookie
i live in affton.... but i just got wifi for brawl and its kind of slow but my frind code is

3609-9710-2131

m new to is so i dont know how it works an all

alt-F4

Smash Ace
I never said you weren't the man i was just saying that this is the thread dedicated to it.

Cheeseonastick

Smash Journeyman
xD I don't know Future, wifi is how I learned, and continue to learn Brawl.

It's the only way to learn brawl when you have parents who don't let you regularly attend smashfests.

JayFizzy

Smash Cadet
If i come i could bring my wii with brawl+, maybe you could see if anyone else would be up for brawl+ and you could add a smaller B+ tourney

Cheeseonastick

Smash Journeyman
:p I'm broke Think. But I definately want to play you again. I'm psyched for this tourney... I think I've gotten a lot better.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Kyle I will MM you.
You, Falcon.
Me, Falcon.
It's on.
Maybe if Future isn't a woman we'll have another championship.
And of course, if I can ever go to another one of these.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Ok, so here's the deal guys, listen up, this is an important post.

Jeff is interested in making this a BBrawl tourney as an experiment.

For those out of the loop, BBrawl is the balance patch me and Ampharos spent all summer working on. It does not change physics or controls of characters, nor the game engine at large. It also doesn't change hitbox sizes or locations on any moves, nor even timings on any attacks except very rare exceptions I can count on one hand. All the changes are to damage, knockback, and rarely launch angle. There are no noteworthy glitches or wonky behavior in the current versions, everything has been ironed out. Characters are played in the exact same manner as in normal Brawl, but have been tweaked on a matchup-by matchup basis. You can find all the information you want in the BBrawl topic, or talk to me on AIM.

Assume that the logistics of setting this up are completely trivial. Like, not even close to being an issue.

Of course, I think it's totally ridiculous to ask anyone to enter a cash tourney for a game that I designed (even if it's just small changes to a game everyone already knows) if I'm in it too. So, here's the deal, I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is: If we do agree to do BBrawl for this tourney, I will let anyone who plays me pick MY character each match, in addition to their own! I might have to make up a few guidelines to keep people from making me play Ice Climbers or Diddy every round (Have you ever seen my Diddy? SO BAD.) but whatever.

The only downside to this plan is that Legan would kill us all, assuming Mike doesn't beat him to it.

(For Future: If you didn't know, ICs now have much harder chaingrabs and are otherwise buffed overall.)

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i think this would be a good idea. bbrawl badly needs something to get it off the ground and on the maps as something that can be done in tourney, and as small as this may be it may well be enough to get bbrawl a lot of well needed attention. if school wasnt starting this week i would come :(

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Unrelated note: I am also interested in running swiss tourneys in the future. There is no elimination in swiss (until you need there to be if things are not going to finish on time), so losing players just sort of continue to paly other losing players in the background on the other TVs. It's kinda like they normally do, but with more structure and actual rankings. You need to have a decent number of setups per person to make it a good idea though.

This is something we would decide at the venue before we start, "Hey guys we have enough setups to do Swiss", that sort of thing. Zozefup strongly advocated this.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Well, Jeff still wants us to bring our own TV's, so all will be good.
Kyle if you plan to attend in November to Major, we could use that as BBrawl's big debut, though having this as a BBrawl tourney as well, I'm liking it.

And in response to the Swiss format, I strongly advocate it as well. It will make newer players feel less intimidated by like Think, Legan, Zoze, etc., and come and play and hang out, not being scared to lose and such, because they'll still get their money's worth in playtime and practice.

I noticed at the last tourney I went to, this one Sonic player who 2 - 0'd me in Pools, him and Legan played a match, and I could just tell afterwards when they played friendlies, how much the Sonic learned from Legan, just from that one set.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Well, Jeff still wants us to bring our own TV's, so all will be good.
Kyle if you plan to attend in November to Major, we could use that as BBrawl's big debut, though having this as a BBrawl tourney as well, I'm liking it.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Jeff liked the idea of something big and fresh that combined with a bonus pot could pull in big attendance numbers, and simply suggested that we run BBrawl as a simple experiment at this smaller scale to see how it goes over.

And in response to the Swiss format, I strongly advocate it as well. It will make newer players feel less intimidated by like Think, Legan, Zoze, etc., and come and play and hang out, not being scared to lose and such, because they'll still get their money's worth in playtime and practice.

I noticed at the last tourney I went to, this one Sonic player who 2 - 0'd me in Pools, him and Legan played a match, and I could just tell afterwards when they played friendlies, how much the Sonic learned from Legan, just from that one set.
Precisely. Swiss is basically a combination of pools and brackets into a ladder, if that makes sense. It's harder to TO, but thanks to my brilliance good software it's not really any different, and of course it's the same for the players. ("Go play this person next on that TV.")

MuBa

Smash Lord
I fully concur that a Swiss Format Tournament should be advocated (barring we get enough setups of course) because it gives players more opportunities to become better at this game and, as some of you have already mentioned, will get your money's worth of experience.

Teh Future

Smash Master
(For Future: If you didn't know, ICs now have much harder chaingrabs and are otherwise buffed overall.)
Its the same in B+. I thought you said you couldn't change it anyways? Plus if I do enter a tournament thats not for money then Ill probably just use Yoshi/Mario

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Actually Brawl+ hardcoded it so that Nana can never regrab, if I'm not mistaken.

With the game's engine generally, no amount of damage or knockback will ever truly prevent the possibility for a regrab.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
All sounds good, lets just hope there is an attendance on Saturday, I myself will be bringing 3, so lets hope for 20+.

Also in response to Major, try to advertise it as much as possible.

Teh Future

Smash Master
@ Gambino. Im really bad vs. MK that I dont play on a weekly basis which is dumb considering I play one of the few characters that might in fact beat MK so I wanna play plenty of friendlies with you and zoze if he is there ics vs mk.

Think that sounds kinda lame LOL. Im all for no chaingrabs but I do think ICs should be able to kill with a grab at like 100. Nana's smash attacks are like half as strong though but if you can't regrab with nana than there is no way to finish with popo upsmash :/ just my input its not like they have tourble killing anyways...

Top Bottom