• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mods Lock this thread, making new one.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
AERIAL RAVE STL RANBAT SEASON 1 (MAY 2009 - OCTOBER 2009) - RANKING BATTLE 1.4

DATE: SATURDAY, AUGUST 22, 2009

4501 S Kingshighway
St. Louis, MO 63109

Times:

1000 - Registration begins
1000 - Casuals begin
1200 - Street Fighter IV
1300 - BlazBlue
1400 - KoF XII
1400 - Side Events begin!
1700 - Street Fighter IV 2v2 Teams
2100 - Casuals end
2200 - Venue closes

Cost/Payout:
$5 - Venue Fee ($0 if you bring a full setup - $2 if you bring a TV or System)
$10 - Street Fighter IV RANBAT- 70/20/10
$10 - Street Fighter IV 2v2 Teams - 70/30 ($10 per team entry fee)
$10 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl SIDE EVENT - 70/20/10
$10 - Super Turbo: HD Remix - 70/20/10 [Contact MissingPerson]
$10 - BlazBlue - 70/20/10

The Deal:
* $1 of each SFIV entrant's TOURNAMENT fee will be added to the SFIV Ranbat Pot.
* The Ranbat Pots will be split amongst the top 8 ranking players at the end of the season.
*Don't worry fellas. We WILL be throwing FREE money at the ranking battle pot.

Ranbat Point Payout
1 - 9 pts
2 - 7 pts
3 - 5 pts
4 - 4 pts
5 - 3 pts
6 - 3 pts
7 - 2 pts
8 - 2 pts
9 - 1 pt <- This is the equality point.

Ranbat Season 1 Prizes:
1 - Trophy + 50% Bonus pot
2 - Trophy + 20% Bonus pot
3 - Trophy + 10% Bonus pot
4 - 7.25% Bonus pot
5 - 5% Bonus pot
6 - 2.5% Bonus pot
7 - 2.5% Bonus pot
8 - 2.5% Bonus pot

Tournament Rules:
* Double Elimination
* Rounds are best 2/3 (unless otherwise stated)
* Standard matches are best 2/3 games
* Winners/Losers/Grand Finals are best 3/5 games
* Winner keeps same team/character
* Pausing the game will get you a GAME LOSS
* Programmable pads are BANNED
* Game Freezing glitches are BANNED
* Game Resetting glitches are BANNED

* (3S) Gill is BANNED
* (TVC) Fiery Ruins Stage is BANNED
* (GGAC) GOLD characters are banned
* (GGAC) SHADOW characters are banned
* (GGAC) EX characters are banned
* (T5DR) Rounds are best 3/5
* (T5DR) Random stage select
* (T5DR) Jinpachi Mishima is BANNED
* (BB) EX/GOLD/SHADOW/UNLIMITED characters are BANNED

If you have any suggestions or comments, just leave em here. We want as much input as possible to make this series huge!

CURRENT STANDINGS!!!

Street Fighter 4 - ($88 pot)
20 pts - Rex
15 pts - AKS
15 pts - AKA
12 pts - JJJ
9 pts - Shekeib
8 pts - Kurasa
4 pts - Humbag
4 pts - Kaal
4 pts - NKI
3 pts - Twilight Fox
3 pts - 4GottenKazama
3 pts - SuperFX
3 pts - Hanma
2 pts - GermanLeuger
2 pts - Promega
1 pts - Dr Penick
1 pts - Horokeu
1 pts - Zenkix
1 pts - Ben Ra
1 pts - Eason
1 pts - Blicen
1 pts - Kiet
1 pts - Chounaurd
1 pts - AJ

NOTE: SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL IS NO LONGER A RANBAT. I HAVE NOT RECEIVED RESULTS FROM AR1.1 OR AR1.2 AND ONLY 2 PEOPLE SHOWED UP FOR AR1.3. YOU GUYS CAN STILL RUN A SSBB TOURNEY AT AR, BUT YOU WON'T BE SUPPORTED WITH A RANKING BATTLE.

Also, for future hype:
Get Hype people!!!

Aerial Rave Major II will be at the Gateway Convention Center on November 7, 2009. I'm working out the pricing with gateway right now so you'll be hearing more about this in the next couple of days. What I'm looking at is:

* 9,800 square foot room
* 16+ 32" Flat Screen CRT TVs
* 10ft projector for the finals
* $500 bonus pot for SF4
* $200 Bonus Pots for HDR, T6, BB, and SSBB (This is still in the works)
* HELLA HYPE

I'll be setting up a website with online registration and jazz here in the next few weeks so that we can gauge interest and adjust our requirements accordingly.

The venue fee will be $20 and I'll offer a discount if you bring a console. Please spread the word guys! I'm putting a lot of my own fight money into this and I really don't want to come out a loser (having to pay for insurance on this thing is murder!).
Brawl will be starting at 1 PM, get there as early as possible.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Seems like fun. I'll run this by the rest of the Wichita guys.

2 things though:

Milk!! said:
* Suicide KOs: initiator gets the win
I'm not exactly sure what this means.

Milk!! said:
* 1-Stock rematch if match ties
I don't agree with this. The win should go to the person with the lowest damage when time runs out.

Holms

Smash Ace
I don't agree with this. The win should go to the person with the lowest damage when time runs out.
I actually do. This seems more fair to me than percentages because you have people who either play heavy characters, have good DI, or both, who end up losing simply because they took more damage than the other. This isn't a traditional 2-D fighter, hence Nintendo purposely putting sudden deaths in each of their smash games. 1-stock rematch sound better in my opinion. :)

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I actually do. This seems more fair to me than percentages because you have people who either play heavy characters, have good DI, or both, who end up losing simply because they took more damage than the other. This isn't a traditional 2-D fighter, hence Nintendo purposely putting sudden deaths in each of their smash games. 1-stock rematch sound better in my opinion. :)
NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

There's a reason the SBR has stuck by their lowest % rule.

Lets say there's 10sec left in a game with Player 1 having 15% and Player 2 having 120%. Its not fair that Player 2 can just camp/stall for the rest of the game, knowing if he doesn't get KO'd, he gets a clean, 1-stock restart. It's also not fair to Player 1, considering all the damage he did to Player 2 and all the damage he avoided from Player 2 becomes completely wiped clean and irrelevant to the end-result of the game.

So yeah, 1-stock restart for ties is a terrible idea. They should really just go by the SBR rule-set.

Cook

Smash Master
Are you sure that by tie he doesn't mean that they have the same amount of damage, as well as stocks? I mean, it's not really a tie if they have different damage percentages anyway.

Holms

Smash Ace
NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

There's a reason the SBR has stuck by their lowest % rule.

Lets say there's 10sec left in a game with Player 1 having 15% and Player 2 having 120%. Its not fair that Player 2 can just camp/stall for the rest of the game, knowing if he doesn't get KO'd, he gets a clean, 1-stock restart. It's also not fair to Player 1, considering all the damage he did to Player 2 and all the damage he avoided from Player 2 becomes completely wiped clean and irrelevant to the end-result of the game.

So yeah, 1-stock restart for ties is a terrible idea. They should really just go by the SBR rule-set.
I've honestly seen more people - FAR more people - abuse the percentage rule than they would with stocks. Ledgecamping, "legally" stalling aka throwing in an occasional hit every so often but essentially running, playing a faster/more agile character, etc.

Shouldn't be TOO hard to kill someone at said 120% if you're capable of keeping your damage at 15%.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I've honestly seen more people - FAR more people - abuse the percentage rule than they would with stocks. Ledgecamping, "legally" stalling aka throwing in an occasional hit every so often but essentially running, playing a faster/more agile character, etc.

Shouldn't be TOO hard to kill someone at said 120% if you're capable of keeping your damage at 15%.
You don't understand what I'm saying.

People can "abuse" the lower percentage rule because they've worked to not take more damage from their opponent. There's no reset of any kind.

Whether or not something isn't TOO hard to do is completely irrelevant. Its the fact that the player with 120% has that option to stall for a reset in the first place.

Resetting the match to 1-stock after a tie is a terrible, terrible idea. The reasoning is part of the same reasoning behind not allowing a sudden-death: It's a reset.

Holms

Smash Ace
Oh, I give up. You're going to have to explain this to me in person one of these days.

Smash Lord
Affinity is right. It takes skill to get the damage difference in. That skill should be rewarded, as simple as that.

On another note, besides affinity & friends, who's coming so far?

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
I'm trying to get this widely known, I didn't even notice people were posting on this, so re bump.
On the suicide rule, Lets say Bowser suicides and goes to a Sudden Death, Bowser wins.
On the sudden death rule, I can definitely see where both sides are coming from, I personally never have to go to sudden death, but just in case the scenario comes up, I'll probably just ask the whole group about it tourney day, and pick whatever is unanimous.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The percentage rule is a no-brainer. Losing player must always possess the mandate to act.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I wish I could go, but STL is just waaaay too far for me to travel to. Sorry to disappoint.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Wow forgot about SmashBoards, SFIV pulled me away from Brawl, someone should come save meeeeee.
Anyways about this, unless I suddenly respark my interest, I'll probably just run Brawl, and enter SFIV, and play Brawl friendlies, but this needs a rebump so people show up.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
Argh, this is same day as melee event in evansville. I want to go to both, but I'll probably go to this.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Milk, its ridiculous to even ask anyone at a serious tourny what to do about the percentage rule. The person with the highest damage loses, end of story.

Thanks for getting st.louis tournies set up. I will go to any and all st.louis tournies during the summer months.

Legend21

Smash Rookie
Well me and like four of my friends might go. We only live an hour away from st louis, well whatever part of st. louis your talking about. If you can tell me exactly where at and you can tell us if its on for sure. And you can also tell us how many people are coming then we will most definantly be coming.

Terrydactyl

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6110-5215-0645
Me and several of my friends will be there as well. Love to get some friendlies in, since there's not a whole lot of people to play here in Springfield MO.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
Yes, hype hype hype. There is a big melee circuit event like an hour from me. I do not want to regret not going to that.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Well I'm not sure how many are showing up for Brawl, I am pretty sure a decent amount.
A lot of people are showing for the other stuff for sure, it was advertised on Shoryuken, Pretty sure lots of people on there said they were coming for Brawl too.
If you don't know who I am come tourney day, ask Legan, he should be able to spot me a mile away.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Winner keeps same team/character
So is there teams or not? Doesn't sound like there is enough time.

Also time-related questions:

Is this going to be just randomly-seeded brackets?

Will we be able to play friendlies before/after the tournament?

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
So is there teams or not? Doesn't sound like there is enough time.

Also time-related questions:

Is this going to be just randomly-seeded brackets?

Will we be able to play friendlies before/after the tournament?
In response to pools, I really doubt Kurasa will mind, as long as we organize them fine, and time allows, we could probably run pools while the other tourneys are running I suppose, as long as we have enough TV's, and yes, friendlies are a definite.

I'm asking him about pools now, I'll respond as soon as I find out.
Looking at the times though, we'd have to do pools at the start, or I'mma try to talk Kurasa into switching MvC2 with Brawl.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Since I'm not the tourney organizer, I could be wrong in my assumption, but the team ruling is for MVC2/TVC, since there are no team tourneys listed.
Yeah that would make sense, LOL. That's too bad 'cause I like teams, maybe next time.

Kurasa

Smash Rookie
Thanks Luke! I didn't see this thread (even though I searched /meh) so I posted a dupe. I'll delete those since you're on it.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to email me about them (kurasa@gmail.com). The times on the site (www.aerialravestl.com) are the final times.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Well, no pools, not enough time.
All good though, this tournament will still be ****.
Oh god, I'm scared for Ganon ****.
No problem Jeff, I'm all on it.(No homo.)
As of right now, looking to be at 11.
Venue starts at ten for friendlies, and after tourney is over, MORE FRIENDLIES, I will try to get my Gamebridge working, and get a new install disc.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
I just noticed that the counter pick list doesn't have:

- Luigi's Mansion
- Pictochat
- Corneria

Any particular reasoning on that? They are pretty standard, I thought.

Also, me and Seth can bring our Wii and Kolby can probably bring his, I'll check with him. So I should be able to get 2 Wiis I think.

TP

Smash Master
I'll bring a Wii.

MetalMusicMan, I don't think Luigi's Mansion or Corneria should be legal. LM helps certain characters way too much, and fighting is completely different on Corneria. Pictochat seems fine to me.

Top Bottom